Cut your grocery costs: Aussies save through alternative shopping methods

In an era when the cost of living is a constant concern, Australians always look for ways to stretch their dollars further.

One method gaining traction is bypassing the traditional supermarket supply chain and buying directly from local farms.

This approach promises fresher produce but also significant savings for shoppers.

As an influx of imported tinned fruit and other produce arrived in Australia, a growing movement encouraged consumers to support local farmers instead.

This shift towards localism isn't just about patriotism; it's a practical response to the economic pressures consumers and producers face.

1718859853959.png
Australians were encouraged to purchase directly from local farms as an alternative to imports. Credit: Unsplash

Jackson Bennett, who manages a pear farm in Victoria's Upper Beaconsfield, shared his observations of the changing market

‘It's a little bit disappointing considering fresh produce is still quite affordable, but we've noticed huge numbers and decreasing purchases at the checkout,’ he said.

‘You can still purchase a pear for less than 50 cents a piece, and a per kilo price on pears is still cheaper than dog food, yet we're struggling for people to buy fresh produce when it's quite affordable on a day-to-day level, which is odd.’

Initiatives like Box Divvy, co-founded by Jayne Travers-Drape, are bridging the gap. Box Divvy is a service that connects consumers directly with producers, offering savings compared to supermarket prices.

‘At Box Divvy, we are community-based and up to 30 per cent cheaper than supermarkets,’ she explained.

‘The produce comes in, we put it onto pallets, it goes out in the trucks and comes to you in your carport or garage the same day.’

Jayne also addressed a common misconception: fresh food is inherently more expensive. When sourced directly from the farm, it can be quite the opposite.

‘You're saving a huge amount; we always say to our members and our hubs, just go on a holiday because that's how much you're saving or pay the school fees; it is quite incredible,’ she said.

In related news, a group of families has successfully pooled their money for 50 years to buy fresh produce in bulk, saving hundreds of dollars compared to supermarket prices.

Food co-ops like this offer consumers greater bargaining power and provide better prices. Read more about their story here.
Key Takeaways
  • Australians were being urged to buy directly from local farms as an alternative to imports.
  • Shopping directly can save consumers money while supporting local farmers facing declining sales.
  • Jackson Bennett, a pear farm manager, highlighted the affordability of fresh produce like pears despite low consumer uptake.
  • Jayne Travers-Drape from Box Divvy emphasises the substantial savings and positive local economic impact of buying fresh produce directly from producers.
Have you tried buying directly from farms, and what has your experience been? Do you have any tips for others looking to make the switch? Share your stories and insights in the comment below.

Sponsored
where I live there is no such thing as local farm markets ,,if you don't grow it you have no choice but to buy from the supermarket,,we grow some fruit and veg but not enough in our small backyard,,vegies we use the most we try to grow enough for the freezer ,,I really don't like buying supermarket veg because they really are horrible and don't last

where I live there is no such thing as local farm markets ,,if you don't grow it you have no choice but to buy from the supermarket,,we grow some fruit and veg but not enough in our small backyard,,vegies we use the most we try to grow enough for the freezer ,,I really don't like buying supermarket veg because they really are horrible and don't last
Yes might work for those in the big cities, but not here either unfort (there are markets every now & then but because they are irregular (or not every wk) it is hard to know & remember but of course the supermarket is available daily & thus too convenient

Unfortunately, the price of fuel would out way the savings. There are very few fruit shops around these days. I remember going for a drive with Mum and Dad on the weekend to get the weeks vege's. The good old days are gone and no matter what anyone says, they were the best.

I've got 3 localish fruit and veg places to go to. Not very cheap but good quality. One of them supplies a lot of local restaurants so I mainly shop with them.

Reactions: Frustrated
Unfortunately, the price of fuel would out way the savings. There are very few fruit shops around these days. I remember going for a drive with Mum and Dad on the weekend to get the weeks vege's. The good old days are gone and no matter what anyone says, they were the best.
Our own fault I guess as we so heavily support supermarkets for so many things until the little guys go outta business, leaving supermarkets with a monopoly

Seems like a good idea and if I find something similar near where I live I am interested. But be buggered if I will support any interstate business.

And usually poor quality

As an older age invalid pensioner I struggle financially. But I do not drive so no transport to get to a farm. I might suggest that the Village take us there.

Reactions: Johan van Zalen
I look for local community gardens and Farmers Markets.. I may spend a few extra bucks a fortnight in fuel,, but hell,, I have a ball getting around and meeting people,, then eating the real food I buy and not supermarket crap.. Also come across a good Wine occasionally from Local small wineries.. Enjoy life,, even if you spend an extra $10 in fuel each pension..

Last edited:
they have produce in the cold rooms for months and months.

Reactions: anouch
For us, it's across the Nullabor....
I live in Adelaide. Thankfully most of our fruit and vegetables I am able to purchase in the supermarket are locally grown. I know somebody who ran a country town fruit & vegetable shop. They only thing they sold that came from interstate was tropical fruits. The rest they bought from growers in SA

Reactions: anouch
I have found greed is in everyone as well as the big companies, if a big company is selling a product for $10 after buying it for $1 then a competitor will sell it for $9 regardless of what they could sell it for, bearing in mind the big co ships the product all over and cold stores and wastes heaps ,and pays a lot of wages in the handling of the product including the cost of retailing...yet the "buy direct from the farm is only a dollar cheaper...who is ripping off??...the movement of perishable stock is very expensive and waste is high....and greed is normal

they have produce in the cold rooms for months and months.
Some growers definitely have coolrooms on their own properties. How do you think the suppliers in the Fruit and Vegetables in the Produce Markets manage to still have off season produce. In some cases frozen vegetables contain more vitamins that what we buy in a F&V shop. e.g. in some areas peas are picked and transported only a few km to the processing plant where sometimes they are actually waiting for the next load. I know somebody who visited a factory while taking a rest break. He is good at remembering numbers. He saw the truck leave the factory and it arrived back within 20 minutes, unloaded and left a few minutes later.

I live in Adelaide. Thankfully most of our fruit and vegetables I am able to purchase in the supermarket are locally grown. I know somebody who ran a country town fruit & vegetable shop. They only thing they sold that came from interstate was tropical fruits. The rest they bought from growers in SA
I do too. I'm south and buy generally from Adelaide fresh fruiterers who have also repeatedly won awards for best grocer in Oz. The boys are at the markets 1:30 am each day to pick selections from their fav providers. Their turn over is huge, so little sits in cool rooms for long. And it lasts! Prices comparable to other grocers and supermarkets- where one is high for something the other will be low and vice versa. But I do like when it lasts so well and so long.