Customer's bold prediction about Coles cashless self-service register enrages Sydney shoppers – here's why

A video recently uploaded to social media by a Sydney resident has caused quite a stir among shoppers – and rightfully so. The time-lapse clip, which shows the man's visit to a Coles store, revealed that only two of the nine cash registers located in the supermarket were accepting cash payments.

The customer then went on to make a rather dire prediction about the future, stating that he believes all the cash-accepting registers will be done away with by the end of the year. As a result, much of the post's comment section was instantly filled with furious customers speaking out against what they saw as a clear example of the store being anti-cash.

image1.png
Sydney customer slams Coles supermarket for not having enough registers that accept cash. Image: Tiktok.

Pro-cash organisation Cash Welcome coordinator Jason Bryce also voiced his concerns, explaining how difficult it is for people who don’t have access to other payment methods to get their groceries. 'If you’re paying with cash, you have to wait longer for the increasingly limited numbers of terminals that accept cash,’ he added, 'People paying with a card or phone get skipped to the front of the line. Supermarkets are discriminating against people who rely on cash.'
He went on to say that the issue was even more concerning considering what happened at Woolworths supermarkets around Australia last month when their EFTPOS (Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale) system took a temporary dive, causing them to only accept cash payments.

Taking a closer look at the problem reveals that the general concept of a cashless society is something that has been talked about for years. With the introduction of electronic payment methods, digital wallets, and even facial and biometric recognition technology, some people think that a paperless world is inevitable. However, despite the convenience these advances bring, it’s important for us to protect our right to choose how we pay, especially for necessities like food and groceries.

Key Takeaways
  • A Sydney customer has voiced concerns over the decreasing number of self-service registers accepting cash at his local Coles supermarket.
  • Sydney DJ Tom Budin recorded a TikTok video showcasing that only two out of nine self-service machines at his local store accepted cash. He predicted that these remaining cash-accepting machines would be gone by the end of the year.
  • Pro-cash organisation Cash Welcome argued that supermarkets are discriminating against customers who wish to pay cash, forcing them to wait longer for service.
  • Despite these concerns, Coles currently has no plans to phase out cash entirely and continues to offer cash payment options at some registers.

At the end of the day, even though we may be comfortable using cards, phones and digital wallets, some members in our community still prefer to use cash – and it’s important for supermarkets not to put them at a disadvantage.

As this Sydney customer pointed out, we must all actively defend our right to choose how we pay. After all, everyone should have the freedom on how to pay their dues, may it be through card or cash. Like what you read? Share us your thoughts on this, SDC members!

Sponsored
imposing a charge or recouping the cost you may have a reason to not shop there, but the charge should only applyto credit cards.
Banks charge the business for depositing cash, and have done so for many years. Businesses just absorb the costs. Security-wise, card is a lot safer.

A video recently uploaded to social media by a Sydney resident has caused quite a stir among shoppers – and rightfully so. The time-lapse clip, which shows the man's visit to a Coles store, revealed that only two of the nine cash registers located in the supermarket were accepting cash payments.

The customer then went on to make a rather dire prediction about the future, stating that he believes all the cash-accepting registers will be done away with by the end of the year. As a result, much of the post's comment section was instantly filled with furious customers speaking out against what they saw as a clear example of the store being anti-cash.

View attachment 33961
Sydney customer slams Coles supermarket for not having enough registers that accept cash. Image: Tiktok.

Pro-cash organisation Cash Welcome coordinator Jason Bryce also voiced his concerns, explaining how difficult it is for people who don’t have access to other payment methods to get their groceries. 'If you’re paying with cash, you have to wait longer for the increasingly limited numbers of terminals that accept cash,’ he added, 'People paying with a card or phone get skipped to the front of the line. Supermarkets are discriminating against people who rely on cash.'
He went on to say that the issue was even more concerning considering what happened at Woolworths supermarkets around Australia last month when their EFTPOS (Electronic Funds Transfer at Point of Sale) system took a temporary dive, causing them to only accept cash payments.

Taking a closer look at the problem reveals that the general concept of a cashless society is something that has been talked about for years. With the introduction of electronic payment methods, digital wallets, and even facial and biometric recognition technology, some people think that a paperless world is inevitable. However, despite the convenience these advances bring, it’s important for us to protect our right to choose how we pay, especially for necessities like food and groceries.

Key Takeaways

• A Sydney customer has voiced concerns over the decreasing number of self-service registers accepting cash at his local Coles supermarket.
  • Sydney DJ Tom Budin recorded a TikTok video showcasing that only two out of nine self-service machines at his local store accepted cash. He predicted that these remaining cash-accepting machines would be gone by the end of the year.
  • Pro-cash organisation Cash Welcome argued that supermarkets are discriminating against customers who wish to pay cash, forcing them to wait longer for service.
  • Despite these concerns, Coles currently has no plans to phase out cash entirely and continues to offer cash payment options at some registers.

At the end of the day, even though we may be comfortable using cards, phones and digital wallets, some members in our community still prefer to use cash – and it’s important for supermarkets not to put them at a disadvantage.

As this Sydney customer pointed out, we must all actively defend our right to choose how we pay. After all, everyone should have the freedom on how to pay their dues, may it be through card or cash. Like what you read? Share us your thoughts on this, SDC members!
Our target store has just been revamped and only 2 cash machines rest all card only

• Wow
Reactions: SandyM
How am I supposed to give my grandchildren birthday and Christmas gifts if not with cash. They love cash so that they can then spend it on line buying computer games or whatever else they want. Cash is good.
You can’t use cash to shop online, need a card. I used to give cash to the grandkids, now they have their own accounts and a card they prefer me to put money into their accounts, which I do. My eight year old granddaughter still gets cash and she loves to have it in her purse to go shopping with.

If they do away with cash, they can charge us exorbitant fees to use any of our cards, & there's nothing we could do about it.

If there was an electrical failure where cards were unusable in Supermarkets....then even having cash wouldn't really be an advantage either......because they wouldn't be able to ring up your purchases because the tills are electronic as well......so unless the cashier actually knew the price of every one of your purchases then added them all up on paper to give you a total to pay, you are screwed. So will the last customer to leave the Supermarket please flick off the power switch on their way out. Happy Shopping. 😉

Reactions: Mark1
As far as I am aware cash is still legal tender in this country. Until that situation changes, a legal challenge to their refusal to take cash would be interesting. This is all about cost cutting as banks are heading down the same path. It is my understanding, that some ANZ branches (if you can actually find a branch) are now deemed to be cashless branches. Not handling cash saves supermarkets and banks a small fortune. How? Not paying for security, not paying for collection of cash, not paying for delivery of cash and of course not having to train staff in how to handle and count cash correctly, and of course less automated cash counting machines to pay for and maintain and less OCHS issues to worry about. Who wants to rob a supermarket or bank of cash if they have little or none. Once again, the consumer is being pushed along a path that many simply don't want. And as usual, we have no say in any of it.

Reactions: bluetang

View attachment 33961

Key Takeaways

Easy fix people! Go to a store that accepts cash.

View attachment 33961

Key Takeaways

Remember the problem is even worse for people who wish to use cash or the staffed registers if it's early in the morning or after about 6pm in the evening and even worse on Sunday's. As they close many of the staffed registers (especially the express lane attached/near to the service desk area, which then forces you to use the "Self-Serve" area. Example went shopping at Coles on a Sunday afternoon (Lithgow) when I walked into the shop checked that "Disable"/"Service Desk" teller was opened and manned. Quickly bought my 4 items and went straight to the Service Desk registers, was only in Coles for about 10 to 15 min at max. The Service Desk area had closed, with only 1 manned teller open but that had 4 full large trollies waiting. So, my only options were to either wait in line for about 30 mins or to use the "Self-Serve". I will admit I cheated - Yes, I used the "Self-Serve" but I told the staff member I didn't have my glasses and I can't read the screen. Will admit the young man was very helpful in scanning & bagging everything for me. And he even helped to do the "Tap & Go" for me.

• Love
Reactions: Leenie
Yesterday at a Coles store no manned checkouts were open. Fortunately a helpful young lady helped by scanning through a "self-serve" for us, but this is the exception. No checkout service is deplorable and is no service at all. Whether I choose to pay by cash or card depends on the amount of the purchase and I decide which to use when the total becomes visible on the register.
Call the store manager and tell him/her that you will be shopping elsewhere until they get their act together.

• Haha
Reactions: freedy50
Remember the problem is even worse for people who wish to use cash or the staffed registers if it's early in the morning or after about 6pm in the evening and even worse on Sunday's. As they close many of the staffed registers (especially the express lane attached/near to the service desk area, which then forces you to use the "Self-Serve" area. Example went shopping at Coles on a Sunday afternoon (Lithgow) when I walked into the shop checked that "Disable"/"Service Desk" teller was opened and manned. Quickly bought my 4 items and went straight to the Service Desk registers, was only in Coles for about 10 to 15 min at max. The Service Desk area had closed, with only 1 manned teller open but that had 4 full large trollies waiting. So, my only options were to either wait in line for about 30 mins or to use the "Self-Serve". I will admit I cheated - Yes, I used the "Self-Serve" but I told the staff member I didn't have my glasses and I can't read the screen. Will admit the young man was very helpful in scanning & bagging everything for me. And he even helped to do the "Tap & Go" for me.
Stop going to that store. Vote with your feet. Losing customers is the only language they understand.

• Haha
Reactions: freedy50
I have been told that technically hat if a customer makes a mistake on self serve checkout we can not be held responsible.
WE ARE NOT PAID TRAINED CHECKOUT OPERATORS AND WE CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR MISTAKES AND OPERATING CHECKOUTS THAT SHOULD BE DONE AS A PART OF STORE SERVICE. Has anyone noticed that we don't get chepaer prices for having to serve ourselves. No cheaper prices with the massive staff reductions in these stores. So if you are caught making a mistake you simply reply,
I AM NOT A TRAINED CHECKOUT OPERATOR AND I DON'T GET PAID FOR HAVING TO SERVE MYSELF. THE STORE IS AT FAULT FOR NOT PROVIDING SERVICE.
I'm not saying you should deliberately cheat the system though

I have been told that technically hat if a customer makes a mistake on self serve checkout we can not be held responsible.
WE ARE NOT PAID TRAINED CHECKOUT OPERATORS AND WE CAN NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR MISTAKES AND OPERATING CHECKOUTS THAT SHOULD BE DONE AS A PART OF STORE SERVICE. Has anyone noticed that we don't get chepaer prices for having to serve ourselves. No cheaper prices with the massive staff reductions in these stores. So if you are caught making a mistake you simply reply,
I AM NOT A TRAINED CHECKOUT OPERATOR AND I DON'T GET PAID FOR HAVING TO SERVE MYSELF. THE STORE IS AT FAULT FOR NOT PROVIDING SERVICE.
I'm not saying you should deliberately cheat the system though
That's such a stupid copy and paste response now. "I don't work there. I don't get paid by them" blah blah blah:rolleyes:Its just meaningless now and has no effect on anything. If people like you don't want to use them then you go and queue up and wait to be served. The various shops have introduced these as a choice for their customers and a lot of them , like me, prefer them.

As you say I don't work for them, or get paid by them, but it's such a childish thing that the "anti self serve" sheep keep non stop repeating. No sensible person even thinks about that when using them.

As far as I am aware cash is still legal tender in this country. Until that situation changes, a legal challenge to their refusal to take cash would be interesting. This is all about cost cutting as banks are heading down the same path. It is my understanding, that some ANZ branches (if you can actually find a branch) are now deemed to be cashless branches. Not handling cash saves supermarkets and banks a small fortune. How? Not paying for security, not paying for collection of cash, not paying for delivery of cash and of course not having to train staff in how to handle and count cash correctly, and of course less automated cash counting machines to pay for and maintain and less OCHS issues to worry about. Who wants to rob a supermarket or bank of cash if they have little or none. Once again, the consumer is being pushed along a path that many simply don't want. And as usual, we have no say in any of it.
Argue that with the ACCC.

Cash​

Businesses can choose which payment types they accept. It is legal for a business to specify the terms and conditions that they will supply goods and services. This includes whether they will accept cash payment. However, consumers must be made aware of these terms and conditions before they make a purchase.

Businesses should be clear and upfront about the types of payments they accept, and the total minimum price payable for their goods and services.