Customer slams Woolworths for deceptive signage: ‘Another shonky tactic’

As we navigate the aisles of our local supermarkets, we trust that the signs above our heads guide us to the best deals and freshest produce.

However, a recent incident at a Woolworths in Ipswich, Queensland, has raised eyebrows and questions about the integrity of in-store signage and whether customers are being misled into paying more than they should.

A vigilant shopper noticed something amiss when she saw a large display of 4kg bags of brushed potatoes.

Above them hung a sign proclaiming, 'Prices Dropped for Autumn', with the enticing offer, 'Was $7, now $4.50’.

Screenshot 2024-04-15 at 12.56.54 PM.png
The sign indicating a ‘$4.50 price drop’ applied to another item instead of the brushed potatoes. Credit: Facebook

But upon closer inspection, the sign, which featured an image of a different product, actually referred to a smaller 1.5kg pack of mashing potatoes located further down the aisle.

These were indeed priced at $4.50, while the larger bags of brushed potatoes remained at $7.

The shopper who brought this to light expressed her frustration online, stating, ‘Legit complaint. Have people noticed that Woolworths has a practice of displaying a price for an item that is irrelevant to the item it sits above?’

'Another way Woolworths takes advantage of customers. I see this advertising all the time. Poor form Woolworths.'

Woolworths, when approached for comment, chose to remain silent on the matter.

Sales tactics and marketing strategies are under scrutiny as the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) embarks on a year-long inquiry into supermarket pricing practices.

With the former Woolies CEO Brad Banducci and Coles CEO Leah Weckert soon to face a Senate inquiry, the spotlight is on whether these giants have unfairly profited during a cost-of-living crisis.

In the meantime, reactions on social media have been mixed, with some customers accusing Woolworths of intentional deception.

'If it’s intentional, then it’s clearly deceptive,' one customer remarked.

‘I think they bank on people being in a rush and not reading the sales ticket properly, another shonky tactic,’ another said.

A third added that the $7 price tag was a ‘rip-off’.

Phillip Portman of Compare the Market said that the average household was spending $193 on their weekly grocery shop, and price increases were due to several issues, such as weather events and various transportation and labour costs.
Tip

To help reduce your grocery bills, here are some top tips you can do:
  • Use smaller trolleys to prevent overfilling with non-essentials.
  • Shop alone to avoid pressure from companions, particularly children.
  • Plan your meals before you shop to avoid impulse buys.
  • Be strategic with loyalty programs. Taking a break from them can lead to better bonus point deals upon your return.
Key Takeaways

• Woolworths has been accused of misleading customers with deceptive signage over a display of potatoes in an Ipswich store.
  • A customer highlighted that price drop signs appeared to be placed incorrectly, causing confusion over which item the discount applied to.
  • Woolies declined to comment when approached over a wider discussion on sales tactics and rising grocery prices.
  • Tips for savvy shopping include avoiding aisle deals, using smaller trolleys, shopping alone, and being disloyal to loyalty programs to save money on groceries.
Have you encountered similar deceptive practices or have tips on how to shop smarter? Share your experiences and advice in the comments below!

Sponsored
They do it all the tine so when you get to the checkout, if you're not checking every item you get caught and if you do notice you're left with either paying the higher price r going home without your product. Their other tricks are big yellow price stickers over the normal white shelf stickers and when you look under the yellow one to see what the usual price is, well, lo and behold, the prices are identical! The other con is advertising the weekly specials online and when you get to the shop they haven't been marked down at all! So you have to run round the shop looking for a human to ask for an explanation.

Reactions: Sass and oldsalt
Just for a change I need to tell everyone of an unusual but, VERY WELCOME occurrence in the MARIAN CENTRE, Queensland, WOOLWORTHS store last week. Whilst putting the items in my trolley through the checkout, A lady approached the teller who was putting my groceries thru. (I thought she was just leaving a message with the teller!)
To my surprise when I go to pay for the items that I had bought I was told that there was NO CHARGE!
On checking the docket it was marked as "GOODWILL GESTURE"!
How about that for a good feeling for a change.

They do it all the tine so when you get to the checkout, if you're not checking every item you get caught and if you do notice you're left with either paying the higher price r going home without your product. Their other tricks are big yellow price stickers over the normal white shelf stickers and when you look under the yellow one to see what the usual price is, well, lo and behold, the prices are identical! The other con is advertising the weekly specials online and when you get to the shop they haven't been marked down at all! So you have to run round the shop looking for a human to ask for an explanation.
You are very correct with that.

Reactions: Rob44
You always need to check the prices on the price tags, I don't think they intentionally do this, staff are slack and don't put things where they should be. Like this Coles display, says Half Price yet not one of those products below are Half Price.Capture.JPG

"Mashing potatoes" at $4.50 a whatsit? I thought any potatoes could be mashed. Boil them until you can stick a fork through them; pour off the water in the pan; chuck in a knob of butter and then use a fork to beat the spuds to little bits. Add cream/milk/cheese if you wish.

It has always been happening.

There is also a sign on the shelf showing $7.00
$7 is actually a price drop they are a 4kg bag of potatoes 🥔 and were $9.00 now $7.00.

Did she let staff know before putting it on line ? They would have fixed it straight away.
I'm thinking it is human error 🤔

Should have waited till they scanned them. Then you could claim them for free. Even if the sign stated a different product it was obscured.

Reactions: Marj53
Here we go again yet another moron shopper who thinks that social media will agree with her! This has got to stop, what is wrong with idiots thinking social media is the answer to everything...next thing you know they'll just get Dr Google up for their ailments!! 😳😳

Yes. I have seen this on numerous occasions too. Bring up to one of the staff. Most of the time it's, 'sorry was put in the wrong spot'. So then I would take it out of the basket leave it on whatever shelf I was at and reply 'well now it is totally in the wrong spot'.

$900,000,000.00 in profit & still conning their customers. How about helping their customers out instead of conning them, as no customers, no profit.

Here we go again yet another moron shopper who thinks that social media will agree with her! This has got to stop, what is wrong with idiots thinking social media is the answer to everything...next thing you know they'll just get Dr Google up for their ailments!! 😳😳
All this shopper is doing is advising us to check the prices of goods we’re buying as the signs can be deceptive.

@Sass why are you angry?? It's the bloody TRUTH! they need to fix it at store level NOT go on social media for justification...if you think that's normal ...well I think you can include yourself in that category..

Yes. I have seen this on numerous occasions too. Bring up to one of the staff. Most of the time it's, 'sorry was put in the wrong spot'. So then I would take it out of the basket leave it on whatever shelf I was at and reply 'well now it is totally in the wrong spot'.
Now that's REALLY childish behaviour....

All this shopper is doing is advising us to check the prices of goods we’re buying as the signs can be deceptive.
No this shopper put it on social media to fix it! That's the point!