Cruise employee reveals shocking passenger behaviour

Imagine stepping aboard a luxurious cruise ship, feeling the salty sea air and looking forward to several exciting adventure-filled days.

Now imagine that the charm of this journey begins to fade as you notice other passengers sauntering around with a complete disregard for basic hygiene protocols.

Lucy Southerton, a seasoned cruise professional, has aired her feelings about it all.

She talked about how certain behaviours can be deemed inappropriate and downright unhygienic.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 1.48.10 PM 1.png
A cruise employee talked about the most unhygienic behaviour of some passengers. Image source: chandlervid85 on Freepik.

And the one that tops her list? The barefoot crowds.

Lucy (28), who has been aboard cruise ships for almost a decade, was appalled at the sight of passengers often entirely shedding their footwear to explore the vast expanse of the vessel.

From shopping areas to the theatre, no area was exempt from the barefoot invasion.

This behaviour also often continued for the entire duration of the trip.

She shared that those who go barefoot are usually 'made fun of' by the crew members.

'Crew members generally make fun of passengers who deem it acceptable to walk around the cruise ship with no shoes on,' Lucy said.

'They will weave in and out of shops with no shoes on they will even think it appropriate to go to the theatre with no shoes on because technically they are indoors.'

'However any space outside of your cabin really, you should have your shoes on. And if you do want to walk around the cruise ship with no shoes on, just know that the crew members will be making fun of you.'

Lucy also cautioned against being rude towards staff members.

After all, you never quite know when you might need their assistance or when an opportunity to enjoy special deals may come your way.

This comes after another social media user, Marc Sebastian, warned about the word that cruisegoers should never say while on board.

'You’re not supposed to talk about the Titanic. Who knew that? I didn’t,' Marc said in the video, which has now been viewed 8.3 million times.

'I brought up to an entire room of people having lunch that our ship was only 100 feet longer than Titanic.'

'When I tell you that—utensils dropped, waiters gasped, it’s dead silent.'
Key Takeaways
  • A cruise worker has revealed that some passengers display poor hygiene by walking around the ship barefoot, which is considered dirty by the crew.
  • The crew reportedly makes fun of these passengers and regards walking without shoes in public areas other than your own cabin as inappropriate.
  • The cruise employee, Lucy Southerton, advised maintaining polite behaviour as it could lead to better service and potentially access to deals.
  • Another cruise-related tip shared by Marc Sebastian is to avoid mentioning the Titanic while on board, as it tends to be a sensitive topic for both passengers and crew.
Have you experienced something strange while on a cruise? Share your stories in the comments below!

Sponsored
What is the health risk to others if you don't have footwear. ?
If other passengers wear shoes what is the risk?
I would think not washing hands and poor hygiene from food and drink servers more of a risk.
Sounds like snobbishness to me
You would be surprised, athletes' foot, ferukas, plantar warts and could go on

Have none of you heard about the practice of grounding, or earthing? It seems that our modern day practice of wearing rubber and plastic soled shoes is preventing us from being in contact with the earth and the much needed exchange of electrons that happens when we do. It is actually the wearing of shoes that is unhealthy, not going barefoot. We don't expect animals to wear shoes, yet they don't get sick, so why should we? Clean, healthy feet are much less likely to spread harmful germs than shoes that have travelled who-knows-where, in my opinion, anyway. However, if you feel safer in shoes, go right ahead!

I wear shoes as little as possible because I have peripheral neuropathy and with bare feet, I can feel the surface better on which I’m walking.

However, I ALWAYS wear shoes outside my home. God knows what’s on the floor in hotels, shops, on cruise ships etc, especially if the area is carpeted. I’m quite severely germ phobic as well, and it makes me sick to see people barefooted in public.
I always recommend clients with peripheral neuropathy protect their feet by wearing sturdy supportive footwear due to lack of or no sensation in their feet

I always recommend clients with peripheral neuropathy protect their feet by wearing sturdy supportive footwear due to lack of or no sensation in their feet
As a retired nurse, I know you’re absolutely right, but I feel unstable with shoes on. I’m seeing my podiatrist the week after next, and I know she won’t be happy with the calluses on my right foot.

As a retired nurse, I know you’re absolutely right, but I feel unstable with shoes on. I’m seeing my podiatrist the week after next, and I know she won’t be happy with the calluses on my right foot.
Get some shoes or recommendations from podiatrist..worth the extra cost

Reactions: Joydie
Get some shoes or recommendations from podiatrist..worth the extra cost
Thank you for your reply. The shoes I wear outside are from the podiatrist, but I still feel unstable in them.

Winter will be here soon, and I’ll have cold feet, so the ugg boots will come out of the wardrobe. For some reason, I feel safe in them.

• Love
Reactions: Littleboy8
”A seasoned cruise professional” was the sentence that made me think, here we go, a self entitled Boomer. If people paid more attention to what they were doing and less to others everyone would be a lot happier. This “seasoned cruise professional” states that having no shoes on is unhygienic, well it isn’t to her. I bet she puts her filthy handbag that’s been put down in a million dirty places including varies floors on tablets and bench tops without a thought of the germs it is transferring to other people but has a go at people who are not hurting anyone other than themselves. Would I go barefooted on a cruise ship? No but I also wouldn’t criticise anyone who may want to. Some people really do need to stop being so sanctimonious.

• Wow
Reactions: Jena60
Having been on many cruises containing passengers from many nations it does sadden me to say that the most untidy, unruly and disrespectful towards other passengers are in fact the Australians. Some have this attitude that they are on a cruise so they can just go feral, hats/caps in dining areas, totally ignoring the cruise lines request for appropriate dress in dining rooms and restaurants, loud obnoxious, alcohol fueled boganism. Some come out and say well I am on a cruise and I can relax and dress anyway I want. They cannot do this at home as establishments have after 6 dress rules.. If your thing is Public bars fair enough but when the majority of passengers young and old make an effort then at least have the manners and respect to comply with the cruise lines request instead of trying to audition for the next series of Housos

”A seasoned cruise professional” was the sentence that made me think, here we go, a self entitled Boomer. If people paid more attention to what they were doing and less to others everyone would be a lot happier. This “seasoned cruise professional” states that having no shoes on is unhygienic, well it isn’t to her. I bet she puts her filthy handbag that’s been put down in a million dirty places including varies floors on tablets and bench tops without a thought of the germs it is transferring to other people but has a go at people who are not hurting anyone other than themselves. Would I go barefooted on a cruise ship? No but I also wouldn’t criticise anyone who may want to. Some people really do need to stop being so sanctimonious.
The article states she is 28 years of age. Hardly what can be termed a "boomer".

Having been on many cruises containing passengers from many nations it does sadden me to say that the most untidy, unruly and disrespectful towards other passengers are in fact the Australians. Some have this attitude that they are on a cruise so they can just go feral, hats/caps in dining areas, totally ignoring the cruise lines request for appropriate dress in dining rooms and restaurants, loud obnoxious, alcohol fueled boganism. Some come out and say well I am on a cruise and I can relax and dress anyway I want. They cannot do this at home as establishments have after 6 dress rules.. If your thing is Public bars fair enough but when the majority of passengers young and old make an effort then at least have the manners and respect to comply with the cruise lines request instead of trying to audition for the next series of Housos
@Fabiano.... while I totally embrace the Italian culture (which I imagine your heritage is), keep your Aussie bashing to yourself.

Go to your nearest Roman Catholic Church, worship your false idol, then kill a few people in true Calabrian style.

Thank you for your reply. The shoes I wear outside are from the podiatrist, but I still feel unstable in them.

Winter will be here soon, and I’ll have cold feet, so the ugg boots will come out of the wardrobe. For some reason, I feel safe in them.
I love my ugg boots you probably feel safe in them because they are sturdy and solid and hug the feet. Mine do anyway but mine are real aust made uggies and real leather and real fur and so warm not cheap crap.i even bought my sisters some and they love there’s also. We have happy feet.💖

• Love
Reactions: Joydie
Who care, a cruise is aimed at a certain type of traveller, barefooted is just the start. Never have I ever heard that the titanic isn't mention on a ship. This is clearly just some 'influencer' trying to find some mileage from their post. Googled it out of curiosity and low and behold, then only reference (repeated a couple of times) if from Marc Sebastian's posting. Not sure that constitutes any kind of basis.

Those swimming pools are like ‘people soup’
Not for me either don’t need the gastro/ Covid or any other bacteria 🦠 hanging around yuk!
the excessive chlorination of pools will kill any potential issues. All cruises have some form of gastro outbreak and subsequently that entire deck is put into lockdown and sealed to decontaminate. Given the average age of a cruise is around 80 wouldn't take too much to knock off a few. Every cruise ship also has a morgue for the potential death of an elderly passenger.

They should make it compulsory that footwear to be worn outside of the cabin, if not you will be required to get some on. there is always a smart arse that has to bring up some inappropriate subject. usually an aussie.

the excessive chlorination of pools will kill any potential issues. All cruises have some form of gastro outbreak and subsequently that entire deck is put into lockdown and sealed to decontaminate. Given the average age of a cruise is around 80 wouldn't take too much to knock off a few. Every cruise ship also has a morgue for the potential death of an elderly passenger.
Nice to know!

I love my ugg boots you probably feel safe in them because they are sturdy and solid and hug the feet. Mine do anyway but mine are real aust made uggies and real leather and real fur and so warm not cheap crap.i even bought my sisters some and they love there’s also. We have happy feet.💖
I once bought a pair of cheap ones just to wear inside. What a disaster! They only lasted a few weeks. We live in Newcastle which is where the Mortel company is. They’re one of the Aussie companies who claim to have first used the name ‘ugg’. Stunning quality and heaps of different styles.