Credit crunch: Seniors struggle to swipe plastic in age of banking reforms

Navigating the financial landscape can be a daunting task, especially for older Australians who may find themselves at a disadvantage due to recent banking reforms and the complexities of credit ratings.

The story of Jacqui Bauer, a 57-year-old cleaner, is a stark example of the challenges faced by many seniors when it comes to accessing credit.

Ms Bauer's experience is not unique. After separating from her husband and attempting to establish her own credit history, she was met with resistance from banks.

Despite having a stable income, the lack of credit history in her own name rendered her 'high risk' in the eyes of financial institutions.

The result? A begrudgingly approved credit card with a meagre $500 monthly limit.

compressed-shutterstock_116045950.jpeg
Jacqui Bauer’s situation highlighted the older Australians’ struggle in applying for credit cards. Credits: Shutterstock

‘When I wanted to get a credit card in my own name I had to beg and grovel to get one, and they would only give me one with a $500 per month limit,’ Ms Bauer said.

‘A lot of people don't realise if you don't have the credit card in your own name you are not getting a credit rating, and you need that credit rating to move on with life.’

The cleaner, aged 57, expressed her inability to rent a car or purchase book packs for her children's school due to the absence of a credit card.

Chris Grice, CEO of the advocacy group National Seniors, revealed that older Australians are frequently denied credit cards.

He attributed this trend to the fallout of the 2018 Royal Commission into banking and financial misconduct, which exposed extensive predatory lending practices.

Mr Grice remarked that the reforms, although well-intentioned, created challenges for older Australians in demonstrating their creditworthiness.

‘It's a bit of a whack-a-mole situation, and they fixed a problem here, but suddenly, it pops up somewhere else,’ he explained.

‘This tightening of credit policy has meant that a number of folks now find it difficult to get a credit card, particularly in that post-retirement phase.’

Mr Grice highlighted the increased challenge for retirees to demonstrate a stable income, particularly those with limited credit history.

Moreover, he noted a growing trend among businesses to phase out cash and cheques, with the latter slated for complete elimination by 2030.

According to Mr Grice, approximately 500,000 personal cheques are processed monthly in Australia, with about 400,000 attributed to older Australians.

Furthermore, bank closures are exacerbating customers' difficulty accessing cash.

A Senate inquiry into bank closures in rural and regional Australia recently concluded its final hearing at Bribie Island in Southeast Queensland, where the community lost its only NAB branch.

‘The system, if you want to call it that, is pushing people towards digital payments,’ Mr Grice commented.

‘But there's cohorts within society, the most vulnerable and the older, that don't have the capacity to keep pace with what's happening.’

The Australian Banking Association has yet to comment on the issue.

Amidst the challenges facing seniors in accessing credit cards, another concerning trend has emerged in the realm of retirement.

A growing number of Australian pensioners are facing rejection after rejection in their job search endeavours as highlighted by a pensioner’s story.

This alarming pattern sheds light on the difficulties seniors encounter in securing employment opportunities, highlighting broader issues surrounding age discrimination in the workforce.
Key Takeaways
  • Jacqui Bauer, aged 57, found herself deemed 'high risk' by banks due to a lack of personal credit rating after applying for a credit card.
  • Older Australians are increasingly being denied credit cards as an unintended consequence of post-2018 Royal Commission banking reforms.
  • National Seniors' chief executive Chris Grice highlighted the challenges older people face in proving creditworthiness, especially during the post-retirement phase.
  • The shift towards digital payments and the phasing out of cash and cheques create additional hurdles for the elderly, who may struggle to adapt to the changing banking landscape.
Have you or someone you know faced difficulties obtaining credit as a senior? What are your suggestions for addressing this issue? Please feel free to share your experiences and thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I tried to get a credit card over 50 years ago and was denied because I was a single mother. I wanted it to have an operation but I got a definite "not without your husbands approval". I've only had a debit card ever since. I either save up or use Laybye.

We are heading into unknown times in this world, the satellites that controll so much, imagine them being destroyed, all the cards in the world will not work things will grind to a halt but CASH will always be recognised, how horrid to think that this fundamental right could be taken away, where is the referendum for this, I feel this is way more important than referendums for gay marriage, which I don’t object too it’s a persons right, just like cash is. What about the grandparents who have and still do enjoy giving their grandchildren a few dollars when they see them a great heartfelt feeling all round, that will be gone ..sad..saving your coins for a Christmas special gift for someone or that nice treat for the table. Why does society want to destroy so much that makes people feel good about what they do. Are we to become just heads on a robotic body. So so glad I grew up when life was so much fun and learning, than this sterile cold world we are all heading into.

Bank closures are just the pits. We shop at Endeavour Hills Victoria. We chose there because it has the 3 main supermarkets & Westpac Now Westpac has closed we are finding it hard to find a bank that is handy. Having to drive to Berwick is one but hard to get a car park. At Boronia yesterday Westpac closed there, googled Lilydale, Westpac closed what do they expect us to do? It was so handy having the Bank where we shopped before. We had to drive back to Fountain Gate, very inconvenient & we do not like shopping there. Shops are too far apart for me to walk. Not happy with all these closures. 🙁

Banks suck protected by law to benefit of shareholders and government not interested in people or service,They own most smaller banks and credit unions .That is the main problem would like to see customers withdraw all funds and send a few of them broke.They know that will not happen so we will have to try and put up with their criminality R soles

I am so glad I got a credit card for my cleaning business over 35 years ago., I pay my balance outright every month, because my husband is much older than I, so my card will be very handy when cash is done away with NOT!!!!

Reactions: Marj53 and Davmes
It is odd that cheques are such a convenient way of paying bills that they are being abolished and we are supposed to establish the veracity of a "service provider" before we pay them through the internet.

Convenience???? Stupidity, more like!

Reactions: Marj53 and Davmes
We are heading into unknown times in this world, the satellites that controll so much, imagine them being destroyed, all the cards in the world will not work things will grind to a halt but CASH will always be recognised, how horrid to think that this fundamental right could be taken away, where is the referendum for this, I feel this is way more important than referendums for gay marriage, which I don’t object too it’s a persons right, just like cash is. What about the grandparents who have and still do enjoy giving their grandchildren a few dollars when they see them a great heartfelt feeling all round, that will be gone ..sad..saving your coins for a Christmas special gift for someone or that nice treat for the table. Why does society want to destroy so much that makes people feel good about what they do. Are we to become just heads on a robotic body. So so glad I grew up when life was so much fun and learning, than this sterile cold world we are all heading into.
I agree with you. As far as I am concerned cash or cheque is still legal tender. The banks are just that, a place to store cash for all to use when required. Now they say it is their money so they say how and when it can be used. It would be good if they also gave a decent interest on our cash held by them.

Reactions: Marj53
Show the Albo finger up and use cash more often. He is letting the banks run the show. Passing a digital ID bill without allowing any discussion is just proof that this country is run by WEF and our politicians are poor puppets only.

Reactions: Marj53
I've had a credit card in my own name for many years. $1500 limit, for just in case. Received advice the annual fee is going from $49 to $149 now and checked the rate was 21%. So I applied to another bank for balance transfer and was denied. The repayment for this amount is $60 per month. We own our home (so that's half share), I have my own car and have super and some cash in bank. No debt except the card. Declined! And not directly because I'm on Centrelink, but my living expenses determine my repayment capacity is not sufficient. Ummm I'm paying it ok now. Oh, do you think you could reapply with your husband. No! His situation is exactly the same.
Stuff it, I'll pay it off and not have it at all then!!
Stupid banks

I had a problem after my Husband had Passed away. I kept on meaning to take him to the bank and change it over to my name. As I paid any bills online, bought and paid for Air tickets etc. The list goes on. We had a joint account, and when I drew money out, he would get a portion for anything he needed. As I was still working, and used the car, he had a bike. Until he could no longer ride it, and I would pick him up, between Clients, 2 days a week, for his Volunteer work. After a lot of spending time at the Bank with all necessary documents, I finally got it sorted.

Hello, yeah I agree that a cashless situation will make things very hard for older persons and for many people living in small country towns. One answer by the so called powers to be (BANK MANAGEMENT AND POLITICIANS - MAINLY AERO ALBO) is that any transaction can be handled by a Post Office - HA HA, some of these are also having reductions of services. Really true Aussie actions being done by Government and banks (WHCIH ARE SUPPOSED TO ACT ON BEHALF OF EVERY AUSSIE - NOT JUST MAKING MORE MONEY TO HELP FILL THEIR COFFERS).
I BELIEVE THE ONLY REAL ACTION TO FIGHT AGAINST ALL THE IDIOTIC STUPID IDEAS IS TO WITHDRAW ALL CASH OUT OF BANK ACCOUNTS OR TRANSFER TO A BANK OR CREDIT FACILITY THAT IS STAYING OPEN - ING FOR EXAMPLE.
ALSO DO NOT VOTE FRO AERO ALBO - current prime minister!!.
I ALSO THINK THAT THE CONSTITUTION SHOULD BE CHECKED AS TO WHETHER ANY MAJOR BANKING CHANGE SHOULD BE VOTED UPON BY HAVING A REFERENDUM.
As to having a Credit Type Card. When any bank stops having cash available and closes down branches, then said bank should automatically give account holders (NON BUSINESS) a usable "MASTERCARD OR VISA CARD" WITH MAJOR TRANSACTION AMOUNT OF AT LEAST $5000.00 TO ALL SAID ACCOUNT HOLDERS WHO CAN THEN HAVE PENSIONS OR OTHER DEPOSITS MADE AVAILABLE.
COME ON !! IS A BANK REALLY ONLY A PLACE TO KEEP ANY PERSONS MONEY IN A SAFE STORAGE FACILITY - NOT USE IT JUST TO MAKE THE BANK MORE MONEY ?????????????.
Well I have unloaded my views even if they are considered to be stupid ones.
But!!! In my working life I dealt with millions of dollars issues for mining companies up to the age of 68, purchasing items and inventory controlling.
Now at 79 years old i just want to keep on living and have no problems with money!!

Reactions: natalielocket
I wonder if that 57 year old woman knows she's been called "senior" on here?😂😂

Why have all the hassle with a credit card anyway? If she had one and got into debt with it the banks would get the blame again for giving her one. Well done to the bank for not giving her one.(y) Just use a debit card, then she can only spend what she has in her account. I've had mine for years and never been in debt.

Also they can get rid of cheques. It's such an old fashioned way to pay people now.

Reactions: natalielocket
i do not call a 57 year old a senior. and at 84 I still have my marbles and I am SENIOR.
Like it or not, your (everybody's actually) 50th birthday renders you (and everybody) a SENIOR 🤯.