COVID turned mum’s breast milk to green: “How amazing is breast milk”

One mum has shared that being COVID positive drastically changed her breast milk’s colour from white to green.

Last week, mum-of-two Ashmiry shared a photo on her Instagram page, showing the difference between her breast milk before and after contracting the virus.

“I really wanted to share this photo of my breast milk! It actually let me know something was going on in my body and my babies,” she wrote in the caption.

Ashmiry noticed the huge change in her breast milk’s colour and consistency shortly after three out of four of her family members tested positive for the virus. According to the mum, it was her body’s way of letting her know what’s going on with her body and how it can help her baby.

“The colour change indicates that my body is making exactly what Rubi needs: antibodies, extra fatty and just pure goodness,” she said.

“How amazing is breast milk, it's magical and I'm so thankful to be able to produce it especially now!”

7boetsTyPF1eeC80v9O3LjrnBhqGWp1bhTIN3cRco7zC6tvZMTv0IUxrGrdgVf5ihgBeDeAta_DEZo3CZAtEkjCePZL2c-mrMaIhf_VGUo5Srx0f3hJHdOO4eoMBftWRcsKf0ays

Ashmiry pumped green-coloured breast milk while being COVID positive. Credit: Instagram/@ashmiry_.

Goldilacts, a company of breastfeeding and lactation consultants, shared Ashmiry’s photo on their Instagram page as well.

“Our bodies are so STRONG, so complex and yet so simply magical,” they said. “When lactating, our bodies are always doing full-body scans of mama and baby and figuring out exactly what to put in breast milk for baby's wellness…”

Ever since Ashmiry’s post went viral on social media, several mums have been asking whether it’s safe to breastfeed their kids despite being COVID positive.

A study by Queensland Health confirmed that: “There are no reports showing the COVID-19 virus (SARS-CoV-2) is present in breastmilk.”

Meaning, mums can breastfeed their babies even after contracting the virus. However, since COVID-19 can easily be passed from person to person through close contact, they advise extra precautions to prevent the baby from getting the virus. This applies to asymptomatic patients as well.

Queensland Health recommends:
  • washing your hands before and after touching your baby (use soap and water for 20 seconds or alcohol-based hand sanitiser/gel)
  • routinely cleaning and disinfecting surfaces you have touched
  • wearing a mask while in close contact including while breastfeeding
  • having a healthy adult assist you to care for your baby where possible
The Australian Breastfeeding Association also explained that the change in breast milk’s colour does not always involve a virus. Green-coloured breast milk may also be the result of a plant-based diet or the effects of vitamins.

Breast milk can also be blue, yellow, pink, brown, and even black, which all depend on the mum’s body condition. For more information about the different colours of breast milk, you can watch this video below.

Credit: Bridget Teyler.

Reactions: Ricci
Sponsored
As a retired medical professional, I never cease marvelling at the human body. The body is so incredible, that it amazes me that any baby is ever born perfect. There are literally hundreds of tiny bits that could so easily go wrong, but don’t. It’s the greatest miracle of all!

Reactions: Ricci