Couple SHOCKED by their $5k power bill – their electricity provider says it’s correct!

As much as we moan and groan about how high energy prices are in Australia, most of us still grudgingly accept that paying our bills is just a reality of life.

We may not be happy about it, but we understand that it’s something that needs to be done to keep the lights on and our homes warm (or cool).

But what if one day, out of nowhere, you find your power bill an eye-watering $5,000?

We’re sure you would have some questions for your energy provider!

Unfortunately for one family, this nightmare scenario recently became a reality.

Sonya and Philip were gobsmacked when they received their latest electricity bill in the mail from Simply Energy – instead of being around the hundred-dollar mark like their last bill had been, this one came in at a massive $4,811!

What’s worse, the bill would have been higher if it weren’t for a $1,100 ‘discount’.

At first, the couple thought the whole thing must have been a rather shocking oversight.

‘I thought they put a four in front by mistake, I thought it was a joke, a hoax email, a scam or something,’ Philip said.

Screenshot_6.png
Philip and Sonya had quite a shock when their power bill almost reached $5000. Credit: A Current Affair

In their bills the two months prior, the amounts charged were $600 and $1,600, respectively.

They also said they even installed solar panels to help out with their power consumption.

‘I'm powering Coles I think.’ he said in disbelief.

Sonya meanwhile only felt anger at being charged the insane amount.

As anyone would, the couple quickly called Simply Energy’s customer hotline.

‘You could tell on the phone they were concerned,’ Sonya said.

‘When you contact the company, they are located overseas.’

‘I think it's disgusting really if this is how they're going to treat Australian consumers, but it can't be right, I'm assuming it's a joke.’

Unfortunately for the two, Simply Energy is deadly serious.

In a statement, they explained they had been unable to access Peter and Sonya’s meter for nine months, and that in the interim they had been using estimated power usage.

‘Just recently we received an actual meter read, and it is apparent that the prior estimates were greatly under-estimating the actual electricity usage at the site,’ they said.

‘This large bill is, in effect, a correction.’

Simply Energy also stressed that the bill is displaying the correct amount.

‘Prior to issuing the bill, we checked with the customers' network provider, who confirmed that the meter read was accurate,’ they said.

Screenshot_4.png
Simply Energy, Philip and Sonya’s service provider, maintains no mistakes were made with their bill. Credit: A Current Affair

They also claimed that they sent two letters notifying Philip and Sonya of their meter-reading issues and that the pair were free to reach out to them to settle the matter.

The service provider also pointed out that they even extended assistance to the pair to help with such a large amount to cover.

‘We offered a payment plan to help smooth the financial impact of the bill. Typically, these plans allow for smoothing over 12 months - the customer declined to take up the payment plan offer.’

Key Takeaways

• Simply Energy is offering no apologies to a family of four which received an electricity bill for nearly $5000
  • The bill came as a massive shock to Sonya and Philip who only had $600 to pay a month before.
  • Sonya said she was angry the company couldn't give them an explanation for the big jump.
  • The provider is standing by the bill and is stressing it did its part to assist Sonya and Philip on their situation.
Lastly, Simply Energy also confirmed that they have employees stationed in Manila, Philippines, who spoke with the couple.

They also have workers stationed in Wollongong (NSW) and Melbourne (VIC).

We sure hope the couple work things out with Simply Electricity because a bill that size is no joke!

Meanwhile, you might also want to check out a similar tale of a grandpa whose power bill dispute ended up taking a big chunk out of his finances.

You might also like to read these small tips that could help save you money by shrinking your power bill.

So, what is your reaction to this horrifying story? Do you think Sonya and Philip are right to be surprised by their bill? Or do you think Simply Energy did its part to inform the two of their issues?

Tell us your thoughts and opinions below!

Source: Facebook/A Current Affair

Sponsored
The reality is their previous bills were estimates only, possibly because their meter could not be accessed. This is a catch up bill for all the power used when an actual read could be taken. Need to suck it up and pay like everyone else has to.

As much as we moan and groan about how high energy prices are in Australia, most of us still grudgingly accept that paying our bills is just a reality of life.

We may not be happy about it, but we understand that it’s something that needs to be done to keep the lights on and our homes warm (or cool).

But what if one day, out of nowhere, you find your power bill an eye-watering $5,000?

Unfortunately for one family, this nightmare scenario recently became a reality.

Sonya and Philip were gobsmacked when they received their latest electricity bill in the mail from Simply Energy – instead of being around the hundred-dollar mark like their last bill had been, this one came in at a massive $4,811!

What’s worse, the bill would have been higher if it weren’t for a $1,100 ‘discount’.

At first, the couple thought the whole thing must have been a rather shocking oversight.

‘I thought they put a four in front by mistake, I thought it was a joke, a hoax email, a scam or something,’ Philip said.

View attachment 9041
Philip and Sonya had quite a shock when their power bill almost reached $5000. Credit: A Current Affair

In their bills the two months prior, the amounts charged were $600 and $1,600, respectively.

They also said they even installed solar panels to help out with their power consumption.

‘I think it's disgusting really if this is how they're going to treat Australian consumers, but it can't be right, I'm assuming it's a joke.’

In a statement, they explained they had been unable to access Peter and Sonya’s meter for nine months, and that in the interim they had been using estimated power usage.

‘Just recently we received an actual meter read, and it is apparent that the prior estimates were greatly under-estimating the actual electricity usage at the site,’ they said.

‘Prior to issuing the bill, we checked with the customers' network provider, who confirmed that the meter read was accurate,’ they said.

View attachment 9040
Simply Energy, Philip and Sonya’s service provider, maintains no mistakes were made with their bill. Credit: A Current Affair

They also claimed that they sent two letters notifying Philip and Sonya of their meter-reading issues and that the pair were free to reach out to them to settle the matter.

The service provider also pointed out that they even extended assistance to the pair to help with such a large amount to cover.

‘We offered a payment plan to help smooth the financial impact of the bill. Typically, these plans allow for smoothing over 12 months - the customer declined to take up the payment plan offer.’

Key Takeaways

• Simply Energy is offering no apologies to a family of four which received an electricity bill for nearly $5000
  • The bill came as a massive shock to Sonya and Philip who only had $600 to pay a month before.
  • Sonya said she was angry the company couldn't give them an explanation for the big jump.
  • The provider is standing by the bill and is stressing it did its part to assist Sonya and Philip on their situation.
Lastly, Simply Energy also confirmed that they have employees stationed in Manila, Philippines, who spoke with the couple.

We sure hope the couple work things out with Simply Electricity because a bill that size is no joke!

Meanwhile, you might also want to check out a similar tale of a grandpa whose power bill dispute ended up taking a big chunk out of his finances.

You might also like to read these small tips that could help save you money by shrinking your power bill.

So, what is your reaction to this horrifying story? Do you think Sonya and Philip are right to be surprised by their bill? Or do you think Simply Energy did its part to inform the two of their issues?

As far as I understand it your provider does not read your metre it AGL I think....they give e the reading to your provider who then bills you....we are with Simply Energy and our last bill was o er $2000 which was a shock as we have a 9 KW solar system...I was told the same thing...estimated bills.....the company that reads the meter has access to the box but..in my opinion..was too lazy to open the gate...as the new technology enables then to access your metre over the NBN its about time they changed all meters to these thenno excuse for estimated bills

wee got a bill for 8000 for 3 months and got in touch with the company made a payment plan and moved to another company also grand daughter and her partner moved out of the old house now we get a bill for no more than 400 per month big difference

I installed solar and was charged near four times the amount before. I put a dispute with photo of the meter reading which was way lower than what they had on the bill. They did not allow the dispute and said they had estimated because there was not access to the meter, which is not behind a gate and is not hindered by any scrubs or bushes. They did not believe my photos were genuine. I had the meter changed over to a smart meter and the installer sent the reading of the old meter to the provider, they said it was a false reading. Go figure they are simply money grabbing and are not interested in the truth because it does not suit them to pay a refund.

• Angry
Reactions: Marj53 and Ricci
Here in Tasmania we have an automatic reader in our fuse box that sends the data to our energy supplier and they put it in at no cost because we complained about bills that were estimated then we would get a big one although not as big as theirs so after complaining they offered to put in this automatic reader have had no problems since

WARNING DO NOT GO WITH SIMPLY ENERGY.
Did they know it was estimates. Did they know that their metre couldn't be read ?

My bill last month was $587 and that was after $120 reduction.
That was up by around $140. We don't use a heater as we have a wood heater.

I was thinking of looking around at electricity company's but I think I will stay with AGL

Last edited:
I have a smart meter and I can access my account over the internet so I can see how much my bill is at any time. I have solar and have just checked my account, bill standing at $101 and expected to be about $121 at the completion of my billing cycle (12th Dec) unless we have more sunny days when it will be less. I am with Origin.:)

Reactions: Jennie
I have a smart meter and I can access my account over the internet so I can see how much my bill is at any time. I have solar and have just checked my account, bill standing at $101 and expected to be about $121 at the completion of my billing cycle (12th Dec) unless we have more sunny days when it will be less. I am with Origin.:)
Origin was one I was going to look at. I read it's the best one to be with in NSW

Reactions: Ricci

View attachment 9041

View attachment 9040

Key Takeaways

change providers real quick to an Australian provider

I wouldn't be blaming Simply Energy. I was in a similar situation many years ago because I live in the country and they just don't come out to read your meter. I received emails from AGL and started reading my meter myself every month. Then I put it on my online account and everything is fine. I think they actually come and read it twice a year to make sure I have read correctly and so far everything is fine. I suggest these people do the same thing.

• Love
Reactions: Ricci and Tipsy
I wouldn't be blaming Simply Energy. I was in a similar situation many years ago because I live in the country and they just don't come out to read your meter. I received emails from AGL and started reading my meter myself every month. Then I put it on my online account and everything is fine. I think they actually come and read it twice a year to make sure I have read correctly and so far everything is fine. I suggest these people do the same thing.
I did that once but read it wrong and ended up paying nearly $3k .... it got corrected and we didnt need to pay another bill for 18 months.....

Meter readers also will not open a gate to enter a property, it's way easier to just estimate. They alway have an excuse as to why they can't read a meter, mostly because they just cannot be bothered.

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci