Council Rates Nightmare: How One Couple Got Stuck Paying Double for Waste Disposal

Hold onto your hats, folks! This cautionary tale will have you on the edge of your seat as we reveal the shocking truth about the importance of regularly checking your council rates notice.

One man's jaw-dropping story will leave you reeling with disbelief. After being charged double for garbage waste disposal for an astonishing 12 years, he's sounding the alarm for others to be extra vigilant.

Geoff and Kim Oppert, residents of New South Wales, were left flabbergasted when they discovered that Kiama Municipal Council had been billing them for not one, but two red bins.

The result? A whopping $16,000 was paid out over a dozen years for waste disposal that should have cost half as much!

As Geoff told a news program, 'Our rate notice doesn't clearly say how many bins we have. It's bureaucratic speak no one could understand.'

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.15.54 AM.png
Geoff and Kim Oppert realised they had been double charged over a 12-year period. Credit: Shutterstock.

So, why was this couple charged double for their garbage waste disposal? It all started when they made a seemingly innocent decision to downsize from one large red bin to a smaller one after their daughter moved out.

But here's where things get tricky: despite the change being made and the smaller bin being used for over a decade, their council failed to reflect this in their rates notice.

And the result was a jaw-dropping bill of $16,610.30 for not one, but two large bins - a whopping $8,305.15 more than what they should have paid!

The couple was left scratching their heads and reaching for their calculators when they were told they had made a mistake.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.18.16 AM.png
The Opperts hoped that their story would encourage other members of the community to double-check their council notices. Credit: Unsplash/Gary Chan.

While the council may have admitted to making a mistake, they're not exactly falling on their sword. In fact, they're placing the responsibility for the error squarely on the customer's shoulders.

According to a statement released by Kiama Municipal Council, 'Like any bill or bank statement, the onus is on the customer to check their documentation and notify the issuing authority of any discrepancies.'

Sounds like the council is trying to pass the buck and avoid taking full responsibility for the error. Despite their finger-pointing, the council did ultimately admit fault and took steps to rectify the situation.

'We are sorry that this regrettable situation has arisen and that the error in this customer's bin service was not picked up earlier. When this matter was brought to our attention, Kiama Council acted quickly to rectify the situation, in accordance with the law,' they said.

Screen Shot 2023-03-24 at 10.15.37 AM.png
According to the Recovery of Imposts Tax Act 1963, which applies to any charges that go back more than a year, the couple would only be refunded $1,624.33. Credit: Kiama Council.

Despite being overcharged for a whopping 12 years, Mr and Mrs Oppert were only able to recoup a fraction of their money back, thanks to the Recovery of Imposts Tax Act 1963.

In a statement, the council spokesperson revealed, 'We refunded the amounts of $805.72 for 2021-22 and $818.61 for 2022-23.' That's a total of just $1,624.33 - a drop in the bucket compared to the $8,305.15 the couple had been overcharged.

Mrs Oppert was understandably upset, calling the situation 'so unfair and just not right’. While there's nothing more the couple can do to recover their losses, they're hoping that their cautionary tale will inspire others to be more vigilant with their council notices.

Key Takeaways

• A man discovered he had been charged double in garbage waste disposal fees for 12 years by Kiama Municipal Council.
  • Geoff and Kim Oppert were billed for two red bins instead of one, resulting in an overpayment of approximately $8,000.
  • The couple were only awarded a refund of $1,624.33 due to the Recovery of Imposts Tax Act 1963, which applies to charges that go back more than a year.
  • The Opperts hope their story encourages others to double-check their council notices to avoid being in a similar situation.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we understand that keeping up with paperwork and bill updates can be a daunting task, but we urge you to give your bills a thorough review to ensure that you're not being charged any unnecessary costs.

It may not be the most exciting task, but taking the time to carefully check your bills, including council notices, could save you thousands of dollars in the long run. Let's all stay vigilant and avoid being caught off guard like the Opperts were. You can also call the council and have them explain the bill to you. If you live in the same council as the Opperts, we would highly recommend this.

Have you or someone you know ever experienced a similar situation? We want to hear from you! Share your stories with us in the comments section below - we're all in this together, and sharing our experiences can help us all stay informed and protected.

Sponsored
The council where I used to live sent me paperwork for a dog I did not own. I rang and the rude woman on the phone informed me that they don’t make mistakes,she told me if I didn’t comply with the conditions in the paperwork I would be charged and said dog seized. I told her come get the dog if you can find it. I then got onto her boss and received an apology. I wonder how many people are overcharged for services.

The council where I used to live sent me paperwork for a dog I did not own. I rang and the rude woman on the phone informed me that they don’t make mistakes,she told me if I didn’t comply with the conditions in the paperwork I would be charged and said dog seized. I told her come get the dog if you can find it. I then got onto her boss and received an apology. I wonder how many people are overcharged for services.
iwas charged for garbage service for 10years on a comercial property which did not have a service when i complained i was repaid one year only

Hold onto your hats, folks! This cautionary tale will have you on the edge of your seat as we reveal the shocking truth about the importance of regularly checking your council rates notice.

One man's jaw-dropping story will leave you reeling with disbelief. After being charged double for garbage waste disposal for an astonishing 12 years, he's sounding the alarm for others to be extra vigilant.

Geoff and Kim Oppert, residents of New South Wales, were left flabbergasted when they discovered that Kiama Municipal Council had been billing them for not one, but two red bins.

The result? A whopping $16,000 was paid out over a dozen years for waste disposal that should have cost half as much!

As Geoff told a news program, 'Our rate notice doesn't clearly say how many bins we have. It's bureaucratic speak no one could understand.'

View attachment 16209
Geoff and Kim Oppert realised they had been double charged over a 12-year period. Credit: Shutterstock.

So, why was this couple charged double for their garbage waste disposal? It all started when they made a seemingly innocent decision to downsize from one large red bin to a smaller one after their daughter moved out.

But here's where things get tricky: despite the change being made and the smaller bin being used for over a decade, their council failed to reflect this in their rates notice.

And the result was a jaw-dropping bill of $16,610.30 for not one, but two large bins - a whopping $8,305.15 more than what they should have paid!

The couple was left scratching their heads and reaching for their calculators when they were told they had made a mistake.

View attachment 16211
The Opperts hoped that their story would encourage other members of the community to double-check their council notices. Credit: Unsplash/Gary Chan.

While the council may have admitted to making a mistake, they're not exactly falling on their sword. In fact, they're placing the responsibility for the error squarely on the customer's shoulders.

According to a statement released by Kiama Municipal Council, 'Like any bill or bank statement, the onus is on the customer to check their documentation and notify the issuing authority of any discrepancies.'

Sounds like the council is trying to pass the buck and avoid taking full responsibility for the error. Despite their finger-pointing, the council did ultimately admit fault and took steps to rectify the situation.

'We are sorry that this regrettable situation has arisen and that the error in this customer's bin service was not picked up earlier. When this matter was brought to our attention, Kiama Council acted quickly to rectify the situation, in accordance with the law,' they said.

View attachment 16210
According to the Recovery of Imposts Tax Act 1963, which applies to any charges that go back more than a year, the couple would only be refunded $1,624.33. Credit: Kiama Council.

Despite being overcharged for a whopping 12 years, Mr and Mrs Oppert were only able to recoup a fraction of their money back, thanks to the Recovery of Imposts Tax Act 1963.

In a statement, the council spokesperson revealed, 'We refunded the amounts of $805.72 for 2021-22 and $818.61 for 2022-23.' That's a total of just $1,624.33 - a drop in the bucket compared to the $8,305.15 the couple had been overcharged.

Mrs Oppert was understandably upset, calling the situation 'so unfair and just not right’. While there's nothing more the couple can do to recover their losses, they're hoping that their cautionary tale will inspire others to be more vigilant with their council notices.

Key Takeaways

• A man discovered he had been charged double in garbage waste disposal fees for 12 years by Kiama Municipal Council.
  • Geoff and Kim Oppert were billed for two red bins instead of one, resulting in an overpayment of approximately $8,000.
  • The couple were only awarded a refund of $1,624.33 due to the Recovery of Imposts Tax Act 1963, which applies to charges that go back more than a year.
  • The Opperts hope their story encourages others to double-check their council notices to avoid being in a similar situation.

Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we understand that keeping up with paperwork and bill updates can be a daunting task, but we urge you to give your bills a thorough review to ensure that you're not being charged any unnecessary costs.

It may not be the most exciting task, but taking the time to carefully check your bills, including council notices, could save you thousands of dollars in the long run. Let's all stay vigilant and avoid being caught off guard like the Opperts were. You can also call the council and have them explain the bill to you. If you live in the same council as the Opperts, we would highly recommend this.

Have you or someone you know ever experienced a similar situation? We want to hear from you! Share your stories with us in the comments section below - we're all in this together, and sharing our experiences can help us all stay informed and protected.
Councils don't like to take responsibility. I had just purchased a new car when my daughter - as we are supposed to - drove very close to the kerb while parking but not touching the kerb. Unseen, was metal jutting out. The metal had been covering a small hole in the kerb. The yellow paint was no longer visible. The metal pierced the tyre which needed to be replaced and the rim had been damaged too. The cost was almost $1,000. The car had only been driven 35km. I went to council to complain and was able to show photos which my daughter had thoughtfully taken, which the receptionist took seriously. Not the higher echelons, they dismissed my claim and said it was not their fault. My hands were tied and I had to suck up the costs. Amazingly the council had fixed the problem within 24 hours but still denied responsibility when again I went to complain.

Let me get this right, their rates bill increased by $800 per annum after they changed rubbish bins and they did not think this was odd but allowed it to continue for 12 years? They obviously kept a record of their rates notices, otherwise they would not know the amount by which they were overcharged and that the overcharge was for their rubbish bin.

I find this odd. I receive rates bills for 4 properties (used to be 6) and I compare each to the previous year's bill, as well as keeping a record.

Reactions: Ricci and Marj53
It's Fraud plan & simple and no one can commit this crime including companies and any kind of government department. There is no time line on a crime committed. What this deliberate fraud statement means that a government department can commit a crime and not be held accountable. The fact is, they can't. If this was the case, people that have committed fraud can use this same law in a criminal case against them and state that they can keep the money and not be held accountable. Never go to jail. The fact is, there is no time line whatsoever on crimes committed. Even this was a 'simple clerical mistake' this becomes a crime when they refuse to hand the monies back. That is when it becomes a crime. That letter these people have from the council refusing to hand all their money back that they paid $extra over the years and using that deliberate fraudulent act makes it a crime. No One or department, or company can write anything up like that that allows them to keep money that is legally not theirs.

• Haha
Reactions: Trudi and Ricci