Could Buy Now Pay Later repayments be forcing countless Australians to miss meals?

In today's fast-paced world, where convenience rules, the shopping landscape has evolved, transitioning from traditional lay-by to the increasingly popular 'Buy Now, Pay Later' (BNPL) trend.

Let's explore the impact and implications of this modern shopping phenomenon, because it hasn’t all been positive.

In the world of online shopping, the ease of click-and-purchase can sometimes lead to unintended consequences.

It has come to light that many Australians are prioritising their Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) repayments over their basic needs, such as regular nutritious meals.

compressed-bnpl.jpeg
Buy Now, Pay Later services have gained immense popularity in the modern shopping landscape, offering convenience and flexibility to consumers. Image by rupixen from unsplash

Finder spokesperson Taylor Blackburn paints a concerning picture: 'With mounting cost of living pressures, people are turning to this easy credit to make ends meet. They’re setting themselves up for disaster with other things like increased energy prices and the rising cost of food.'

In fact, Finder reported that nearly half of Australians had used a BNPL service this year. Around a third of Aussie consumers are using BNPL for regular expenses such as household bills, groceries, and fuel.

That’s not all. About 2.8 million Australians are favouring BNPL repayments over other bills.

The ‘interest-free’ loans offered by Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) services can be enticing, but it's important to examine the full picture.

Recent findings by Finder have revealed that a significant number of Australians, approximately one in ten, have faced late fees associated with BNPL services. Surprisingly, these late fees can sometimes be even higher than the interest rates charged by credit cards.

The alarm bells are ringing, with reports that 14 per cent of Australians have skipped an energy bill payment, 11 per cent have missed meals, and 9 per cent have dodged a mortgage repayment, all for the sake of settling their BNPL commitments.

compressed-payment.jpeg
However, the potential risks associated with accumulating debt, late fees, and prioritising repayments over basic needs have raised concerns about the financial well-being of individuals using these services. Image by Karolina Grabowska from pexels

Even the Salvation Army’s Moneycare Counselling Service confirms this distressing evidence. National Manager Kristen Hartnett reports cases of people taking out short-term loans, skipping meals, and even vital services like home and car insurance to keep up with BNPL repayments.

It is true that most Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) operators have restrictions in place to prevent the use of their services for purchasing items such as gift cards.

However, there have been instances where loopholes exist, such as Afterpay offering gift cards for major supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths. These practices have raised concerns regarding the potential for customers to spiral into debt.

In response to these concerns, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) introduced regulations to address the risks associated with BNPL services.

As part of these regulations, ASIC issued a stop order on BNPL operator Humm, which offered consumers the ability to borrow up to $2000 for ‘little things’ and $30,000 for ‘big things’.

It’s worthwhile keeping in mind alternatives such as interest-free loan options like those offered by federally funded Good Shepherd, an alternative to payday lending or loan sharks, as Social services minister Amanda Rishworth mentioned to 7NEWS.

‘(They are) a really important alternative to payday lending or loan sharks.’ she shared.

Key Takeaways
  • An increasing number of Australians are resorting to Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) services to cover everyday expenses, leading to substantial debts.
  • Many Aussies are making significant sacrifices, including skipping meals, to meet their BNPL repayments.
  • Data indicates that one in ten Australians have recently incurred late fees from BNPL services, which can be as costly as credit card interest.
  • Measures have been taken to regulate the BNPL industry due to the growing concerns over the increasing debts and financial strain its customers are experiencing.

Members, what are your thoughts on the alarming trend of Australians prioritising repayments over their basic needs? Share your perspectives with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
In today's fast-paced world, where convenience rules, the shopping landscape has evolved, transitioning from traditional lay-by to the increasingly popular 'Buy Now, Pay Later' (BNPL) trend.

Let's explore the impact and implications of this modern shopping phenomenon, because it hasn’t all been positive.

In the world of online shopping, the ease of click-and-purchase can sometimes lead to unintended consequences.

It has come to light that many Australians are prioritising their Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) repayments over their basic needs, such as regular nutritious meals.

View attachment 24605
Buy Now, Pay Later services have gained immense popularity in the modern shopping landscape, offering convenience and flexibility to consumers. Image by rupixen from unsplash

Finder spokesperson Taylor Blackburn paints a concerning picture: 'With mounting cost of living pressures, people are turning to this easy credit to make ends meet. They’re setting themselves up for disaster with other things like increased energy prices and the rising cost of food.'

In fact, Finder reported that nearly half of Australians had used a BNPL service this year. Around a third of Aussie consumers are using BNPL for regular expenses such as household bills, groceries, and fuel.

That’s not all. About 2.8 million Australians are favouring BNPL repayments over other bills.

The ‘interest-free’ loans offered by Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) services can be enticing, but it's important to examine the full picture.

Recent findings by Finder have revealed that a significant number of Australians, approximately one in ten, have faced late fees associated with BNPL services. Surprisingly, these late fees can sometimes be even higher than the interest rates charged by credit cards.

The alarm bells are ringing, with reports that 14 per cent of Australians have skipped an energy bill payment, 11 per cent have missed meals, and 9 per cent have dodged a mortgage repayment, all for the sake of settling their BNPL commitments.

View attachment 24606
However, the potential risks associated with accumulating debt, late fees, and prioritising repayments over basic needs have raised concerns about the financial well-being of individuals using these services. Image by Karolina Grabowska from pexels

Even the Salvation Army’s Moneycare Counselling Service confirms this distressing evidence. National Manager Kristen Hartnett reports cases of people taking out short-term loans, skipping meals, and even vital services like home and car insurance to keep up with BNPL repayments.

It is true that most Buy Now, Pay Later (BNPL) operators have restrictions in place to prevent the use of their services for purchasing items such as gift cards.

However, there have been instances where loopholes exist, such as Afterpay offering gift cards for major supermarkets like Coles and Woolworths. These practices have raised concerns regarding the potential for customers to spiral into debt.

In response to these concerns, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC) introduced regulations to address the risks associated with BNPL services.

As part of these regulations, ASIC issued a stop order on BNPL operator Humm, which offered consumers the ability to borrow up to $2000 for ‘little things’ and $30,000 for ‘big things’.

It’s worthwhile keeping in mind alternatives such as interest-free loan options like those offered by federally funded Good Shepherd, an alternative to payday lending or loan sharks, as Social services minister Amanda Rishworth mentioned to 7NEWS.

‘(They are) a really important alternative to payday lending or loan sharks.’ she shared.

Key Takeaways

• An increasing number of Australians are resorting to Buy Now Pay Later (BNPL) services to cover everyday expenses, leading to substantial debts.
  • Many Aussies are making significant sacrifices, including skipping meals, to meet their BNPL repayments.
  • Data indicates that one in ten Australians have recently incurred late fees from BNPL services, which can be as costly as credit card interest.
  • Measures have been taken to regulate the BNPL industry due to the growing concerns over the increasing debts and financial strain its customers are experiencing.

Members, what are your thoughts on the alarming trend of Australians prioritising repayments over their basic needs? Share your perspectives with us in the comments below.
Once again I have no sympathy for people who use these facilities or those who complain about the interest rates on credit cards!
it’s a simple solution. If you cannot afford to pay off your credit card in full every month ( therefore NO fees) or afford to pay the BNPL companies in full on time then don’t use them!
I have had a credit card for over 40 years now and have never paid 1c of interest to the bank!
I was always taught by my parents if you cannot afford it don’t buy it!
I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who get themselves int these situations!

I don’t know if people can not afford their spending , how are they suppose to pay later? Maybe buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best ?
I have been brought up to save for whatever you want to buy and spent your money wisely. Some people want all the latest gadgets, but really can’t afford it and after pay does not work .

Reactions: Wandiwa
Once again I have no sympathy for people who use these facilities or those who complain about the interest rates on credit cards!
it’s a simple solution. If you cannot afford to pay off your credit card in full every month ( therefore NO fees) or afford to pay the BNPL companies in full on time then don’t use them!
I have had a credit card for over 40 years now and have never paid 1c of interest to the bank!
I was always taught by my parents if you cannot afford it don’t buy it!
I have no sympathy whatsoever for people who get themselves int these situations!
Me too with the credit cards - although I HAD to pay interest once when Easter got in the way of my regular payment and it wasn't processed in time. I still beat myself up over this and it was YEARS ago!!!
Unless its a car or a house I was taught not to go into debt too. I've survived.

View attachment 24605

View attachment 24606

Key Takeaways

It amazes me that people use this service. That’s what MasterCard was for.
And what happened to the old laybuy system.

Blind Freddy could predict that people were going to run up high debts with the BNPL arrangements. There is no control over how many you can have, with little to no checking by the providers as to whether someone can afford even one never mind several. All they did was play into the "I want what I want and I want it now" attitude. Like the many voices above, I really cannot feel a great deal of sympathy for people now unable to afford their commitments. The 'rule' is very simple: If you can't afford to pay for something outright or can't afford to pay a credit card in full EVERY month, then you can't afford it!

It amazes me that people use this service. That’s what MasterCard was for.
And what happened to the old laybuy system.
Not many stores offer lay-bys anymore, I think because people jumped on the buy now, pay later and credit card merry go round. It really amazes me the number of customers who use both these forms of credit in the shop where I work, even well to do people seem to be obsessed with using them. I feel sorry for the genuine people whose only means of surviving is to use credit in any form, at some stage it is bound to become a burden for them. I can even remember when clothes shops used to offer customers the chance to take clothing home “on approval” to see if they really liked it and return it after a few days/week if you didn’t. I’m guessing this service had to stop due to so many people taking clothes “on approval”, wearing them to a party, wedding or wherever then returning to the shop stating they didn’t really like them after all. The shops never charged their customers for this service, you could just pay for the clothing if you decided to keep it. Customers weren’t supposed to wear the clothing until after they had paid for it, but many did.

Not many stores offer lay-bys anymore, I think because people jumped on the buy now, pay later and credit card merry go round. It really amazes me the number of customers who use both these forms of credit in the shop where I work, even well to do people seem to be obsessed with using them. I feel sorry for the genuine people whose only means of surviving is to use credit in any form, at some stage it is bound to become a burden for them. I can even remember when clothes shops used to offer customers the chance to take clothing home “on approval” to see if they really liked it and return it after a few days/week if you didn’t. I’m guessing this service had to stop due to so many people taking clothes “on approval”, wearing them to a party, wedding or wherever then returning to the shop stating they didn’t really like them after all. The shops never charged their customers for this service, you could just pay for the clothing if you decided to keep it. Customers weren’t supposed to wear the clothing until after they had paid for it, but many did.
Yes you are right. People still do that today except they pay for the item on say a Friday, wear it to an event over the weekend then take it back on Monday to get a refund. Some people have no conscience or morals.

Yes you are right. People still do that today except they pay for the item on say a Friday, wear it to an event over the weekend then take it back on Monday to get a refund. Some people have no conscience or morals.
So true, and not just clothes. I work at Bunnings and the amount of people who buy tables and chairs, a marquee, even power tools and steam mops etc, take them home and use them for a party or project then return them because they decided they didn’t really need them, or the tools supposedly have a fault or don’t do what they are supposed to is really amazing. This happens all the time. The same with heaters and fans, there are people who buy them and just before the twelve month guarantee runs out they return them claiming they are faulty and swap them for a new one, as they never have a receipt. We have some customers who do this every year, so they always end up with a new fan or heater every year. Definitely no conscience or morals.

So true, and not just clothes. I work at Bunnings and the amount of people who buy tables and chairs, a marquee, even power tools and steam mops etc, take them home and use them for a party or project then return them because they decided they didn’t really need them, or the tools supposedly have a fault or don’t do what they are supposed to is really amazing. This happens all the time. The same with heaters and fans, there are people who buy them and just before the twelve month guarantee runs out they return them claiming they are faulty and swap them for a new one, as they never have a receipt. We have some customers who do this every year, so they always end up with a new fan or heater every year. Definitely no conscience or morals.
This is outrageous, buying new products and using them and then go back to the stores and demand their money back . This should be stopped as surely you can tell the products have been used and then stating they are not required.
I could never do that , it is like using the system .

Reactions: KSS
This is outrageous, buying new products and using them and then go back to the stores and demand their money back . This should be stopped as surely you can tell the products have been used and then stating they are not required.
I could never do that , it is like using the system .
To me it is akin to stealing.

Reactions: Mina vriesekolk