Could a $4.35 epilepsy drug help those diagnosed with autism?

Over the past few years, the world has become much more aware of the effects autism spectrum disorder (ASD) can have on someone. It’s a wide-ranging developmental disability, with symptoms ranging from emotional and behavioural difficulties to communication and cognitive problems.

Today we have news of a breakthrough by scientists who believe they may have found a new way to reduce some of the negative symptoms.

In a study recently published in the journal Molecular Psychiatry, experts from Germany’s Hector Institute for Translational Brain Research revealed that a common epilepsy drug, called lamotrigine, may be able to ‘switch off’ some of the cognitive and behavioural issues associated with autism.

The anti-seizure medication, which is already used to treat epilepsy and keep moods stable in people with bipolar disorder, reverses changes to brain cells caused by a genetic mutation and was found to almost completely do away with signs of autism in mice that were given the drug.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.45.59 PM.png
Scientists have potentially found an affordable and accessible epilepsy drug that could help switch off the behavioural and social problems linked to autism. Credit: Pexels/Pietro Jeng.

This mutation is in a gene called MYT1L, which researchers found has a big role to play in various neurological diseases and congenital brain malformations.

When it was ‘switched off’ in the mice, the animals experienced brain abnormalities and behavioural changes similar to those exhibited by humans with autism; such as restricted or repetitive movements.

However, after being treated with lamotrigine, the electrophysiological activity in the mice returned to normal and the behavioural signs were greatly reduced.

The drug, which costs around $4.35 per pill, has been used since the mid-90s and is considered safe, but at this stage, researchers are only conducting experiments with animals.

Human trials for lamotrigine’s impact on MYT1L are expected to roll out soon, but in the meantime, we will continue to keep an eye on the progress of the research. Fingers crossed there’s a positive outcome!
Key Takeaways

• Scientists have reported a breakthrough discovery that an epilepsy drug may be used to 'switch off' autism symptoms in mice.
  • They found that lamotrigine, an anti-seizure drug first approved for use in 1994, was able to curb behavioural and social problems linked to autism spectrum disorder (ASD).
  • Scientists identified MYT1L protein as one that plays a role in various neuronal diseases related to ASD.
  • Human trials have not yet started.
Other potential treatments

Although the recent study only focused on the specific impacts of lamotrigine on autism spectrum disorder, there are many other potential treatments for the condition that are being explored. Research suggests that a variety of interventions have the potential to improve and even reverse certain symptoms of ASD.

Screen Shot 2023-02-17 at 6.46.07 PM.png
With research like this, the potential to change the lives of those with autism and their families is within grasp. Credit: Pexels/RODNAE Productions.

Medications can help with mental health conditions that are often associated with ASD, like anxiety and depression.

Nutritional treatments and lifestyle changes can also have a positive impact on mood and behaviour, while other treatments focus on developing communication skills and self-care.

It's important to keep in mind that every individual with ASD is unique, and what works for one person may not work for another. Therefore, it's crucial to work with a doctor or healthcare practitioner to tailor any potential treatments to the individual's needs.

With the right support, those with ASD can thrive and reach their full potential.

For more information, feel free to get in touch with Autism Spectrum Australia (ASPECT) at 1800 277 328 or through their website.

Members, what are your thoughts on this? Have you or someone in your family been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

And feel free to check out this video to learn more about the experiences of Australian children and teens who are on the autism spectrum.

Credit: ABC ME.

Sponsored
My two grandson's 11 & 3 (they are brother's) having varying degrees of ASD. They already have medication but to think there may be something out there to help change their lives for the better makes me jump for joy. Fort6they are both verbal but the eldest has trouble with food because of textures and feel, the youngest eats anything. Youngest stims constantly and all square objects must be stacked his right way lol What is a big problem for both boy's is sleep, lack of it. Well ill be a patient grandma while we await testing results in the future. 😊🙃🙂😄

My two grandson's 11 & 3 (they are brother's) having varying degrees of ASD. They already have medication but to think there may be something out there to help change their lives for the better makes me jump for joy. Fort6they are both verbal but the eldest has trouble with food because of textures and feel, the youngest eats anything. Youngest stims constantly and all square objects must be stacked his right way lol What is a big problem for both boy's is sleep, lack of it. Well ill be a patient grandma while we await testing results in the future. 😊🙃🙂😄
My 13 year old grandson eats anything including plants , he smells and feels everything before eating it. This photo was taken a couple of weeks ago . I take my hat of to my son I couldn't do what he does. My grandson has such a beautiful sole
Screenshot_20230301-192536_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
My son has been on Lamotrigine for many years and he still has very high support needs. There are so many genetic variants with autism, no single medication can treat them all.