Costco reports 20 per cent sales increase amid cost-of-living crisis

In the face of a rising cost of living crisis, Australians are increasingly turning to value brands to stretch their dollars further.

One such brand, Costco, has seen a significant surge in sales, with a 20 per cent increase in 2023.

This impressive growth has propelled the American multinational corporation into the ranks of Australia's retail heavyweights, even outpacing the growth of local supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths.

Since its local launch in 2009, Costco has been warmly embraced by bargain-hunting Aussies.

The value brand's sales in Australia and New Zealand reached a staggering $4.4 billion in 2023, marking a 20 per cent increase from the previous year, which itself was up 30 per cent from 2021.

This growth trajectory is particularly noteworthy when compared to the modest 5 per cent sales growth achieved by Coles and Woolworths in the last financial year.

SDC 6.png
In 2023, Costco saw a staggering 20 per cent increase in sales from the previous year. Image source: Shutterstock.

While Costco's total sales still trail behind the supermarket giants, the warehouse retailer has surpassed Myer, David Jones, and Officeworks.

It's even nipping at the heels of BIG W, signalling a potential shift in the retail landscape.

Costco's diverse product range, including everything from pools and DJ decks to fresh food, offers a unique shopping experience that observers say resonates with Australian consumers.

In an interview with The Australian, Costco Australia and New Zealand CEO Chris Tingman attributed the retailer's success to its competitive pricing strategy.

Amid strong price competition from supermarkets, Costco lowered its prices in 2023 to attract Aussie customers, regardless of their financial situation.

'We want to be the “go-to place”—when you have money, you shop at Costco, when you don’t have money, you shop at Costco,' Mr Tingman said.

Costco's membership model also reportedly contributes to its revenue growth.

To shop at Costco, customers must sign up as members, which costs a minimum of $65 a year.

This model adds to the chain's revenue and also incentivises customers to return.

It's estimated that each of Costco's local stores has around 100,000 members, amounting to a total local customer base of 1.5 million Australians.

Despite the challenging economic environment, Costco continues to attract discretionary spending from consumers in areas such as consumer electronics, clothing, and toys.

Tingman noted that 'the discretionary spend is the hardest and it doesn’t matter what (income) level, everyone is pinching their pennies and making sure that purchase makes sense for them'.

Looking ahead, Costco sees potential for further expansion in Australia. However, finding suitable sites for new stores remains a significant challenge.

'I’m learning that it is not easy, and we are constantly out there looking for opportunities,' Mr Tingman added.

Costco’s original store in Melbourne’s Docklands is reportedly moving to a bigger space.
Key Takeaways
  • Costco's sales in Australia and New Zealand have surged by 20 per cent in 2023, showing strong performance amidst a cost of living crisis.
  • The retailer, which requires a membership for shopping, has become one of Australia's largest, with a reported $4.4 billion in sales.
  • Costco's growth is significantly outpacing traditional supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths, with its diverse range of products attracting consumers.
  • Costco Australia and New Zealand CEO Chris Tingman highlighted the competitive pricing strategy and the potential for more store openings, despite challenges in finding suitable locations.
What are your thoughts on Costco's growth in Australia? Have you shopped at Costco before? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I absolutely refuse to pay for the privilege of giving my money to allow me the pleasure of shopping in Cosco. Imagine if coles or Woolies charged $65 to walk in their doors.
Buying such huge quantities and having to find somewhere to store it is simply not feasible for one person living in a tiny unit.
My son went in to buy a gift card for a friend who wanted one and was told he had to pay $65 to join just so he could purchase a gift card. Really???

Reactions: IAN3005
I absolutely refuse to pay for the privilege of giving my money to allow me the pleasure of shopping in Cosco. Imagine if coles or Woolies charged $65 to walk in their doors.
Buying such huge quantities and having to find somewhere to store it is simply not feasible for one person living in a tiny unit.
My son went in to buy a gift card for a friend who wanted one and was told he had to pay $65 to join just so he could purchase a gift card. Really???
Such BS, never heard of such rubbish
Imagine if all stores decided to do this
No wonder their %profit is higher.
Thousands of people paying $65, what a joke

Reactions: June E
I just went and got my nutelex container out of the recycling bin. I will be asking my daughter to by the 2kg container when she goes next time. I intend to refill my small container. I have 3 more in the fridge unopened. That's a great buy.
I get my 2kg nuttlex from Costco when my brother goes. Today I got a 1kg from Woolworths for $9. A big saving at Costco.,

I just went and got my nutelex container out of the recycling bin. I will be asking my daughter to by the 2kg container when she goes next time. I intend to refill my small container. I have 3 more in the fridge unopened. That's a great buy.
I use it for all my biscuits, slices and most cakes including when I make dairy free ones.
I also use it for dishes that need butter eg sauces and mashed potato when the allergie ones are here.

My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter loves Anzac biscuits and I use it for those as well

Last edited:
Reactions: Liz
Such BS, never heard of such rubbish
Imagine if all stores decided to do this
No wonder their %profit is higher.
Thousands of people paying $65, what a joke
I actually save that in the year by just buying the butter.

My daughter has an account and she added me so I've got my own card .

In one shop of bulk buying tubs of butter, bulk paper towels ect I save more than the $65.

Other daughters come with me and shop, the only catch they have to come with me or my other daughter , it's easy ,no problem at all. My daughters also pick up a couple of cooked chickens $7 each.

I got my grandson a metal wheelbarrow with a gardening set by Stanley for $50 for his birthday , your lucky to get a plastic set for this.

Costco is great for families but maybe not for one person or a couple

The trick any purchasing at Costco is to know how to read their 'pricing' labels. Codes indicate if it's a one of purchase and once gone not going to be stocked again. Similar to Aldi with the 'special' buys, good luck getting spare parts for some of the things sold that don't have dealerships in Aust. Many of the products are American and as such is like comparing apples with oranges. American chocolate is a niche market in this country, tastes nothing like the chocolates that our taste prefer. Similar with the American peanut butter or cheese, very unique taste that is suited to the US, but not adapted to the Aust palate. Never understand how any household could possibly need 48 rolls of toilet paper or think buying 24 croissants is a good healthy food item that just get eaten before they go stale.
My family , even though there is only 4 of my 13 kids at home there are still 6 of us and loads of visitors. We go through ..
12 rolls of toilet paper a week
4 rolls of paper towel
21 litres of milk aweek . Ect ect
8 bread + rolls

We used to go though more than 24 rolls toilet paper a week

42 litres of milk a week

21 loaves of bread a week

In one shop of bulk buying tubs of butter, bulk paper towels ect I save more than the $65.

Other daughters come with me and shop, the only catch they have to come with me or my other daughter , it's easy ,no problem at all. My daughters also pick up a couple of cooked chickens $7 each.

I got my grandson a metal wheelbarrow with a gardening set by Stanley for $50 for his birthday , your lucky to get a plastic set for this.

I agree, you have such a large family I can imagine it is well worth it for you.
Because I live in the country and I am lucky enough to have enormous pantry space I do buy bulk 50% specials, etc even though there's only two of us.
Costco being about 4 hours away is not viable for me . We get fuel cards here in WA if we're more than 100kms out of the CBD and they last us about 8months, so even the petrol savings wouldn't benefit us.
Would like to go there one day though, to just have a look
Do you need a membership to get in the door?

Reactions: Liz
My family , even though there is only 4 of my 13 kids at home there are still 6 of us and loads of visitors. We go through ..
12 rolls of toilet paper a week
4 rolls of paper towel
21 litres of milk aweek . Ect ect
8 bread + rolls

We used to go though more than 24 rolls toilet paper a week

42 litres of milk a week

21 loaves of bread a week
Wow, I'd hate to cop your grocery bill, lol.

In the face of a rising cost of living crisis, Australians are increasingly turning to value brands to stretch their dollars further.

One such brand, Costco, has seen a significant surge in sales, with a 20 per cent increase in 2023.

This impressive growth has propelled the American multinational corporation into the ranks of Australia's retail heavyweights, even outpacing the growth of local supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths.

Since its local launch in 2009, Costco has been warmly embraced by bargain-hunting Aussies.

The value brand's sales in Australia and New Zealand reached a staggering $4.4 billion in 2023, marking a 20 per cent increase from the previous year, which itself was up 30 per cent from 2021.

This growth trajectory is particularly noteworthy when compared to the modest 5 per cent sales growth achieved by Coles and Woolworths in the last financial year.

View attachment 38549
In 2023, Costco saw a staggering 20 per cent increase in sales from the previous year. Image source: Shutterstock.

While Costco's total sales still trail behind the supermarket giants, the warehouse retailer has surpassed Myer, David Jones, and Officeworks.

It's even nipping at the heels of BIG W, signalling a potential shift in the retail landscape.

Costco's diverse product range, including everything from pools and DJ decks to fresh food, offers a unique shopping experience that observers say resonates with Australian consumers.

In an interview with The Australian, Costco Australia and New Zealand CEO Chris Tingman attributed the retailer's success to its competitive pricing strategy.

Amid strong price competition from supermarkets, Costco lowered its prices in 2023 to attract Aussie customers, regardless of their financial situation.

'We want to be the “go-to place”—when you have money, you shop at Costco, when you don’t have money, you shop at Costco,' Mr Tingman said.

Costco's membership model also reportedly contributes to its revenue growth.

To shop at Costco, customers must sign up as members, which costs a minimum of $65 a year.

This model adds to the chain's revenue and also incentivises customers to return.

It's estimated that each of Costco's local stores has around 100,000 members, amounting to a total local customer base of 1.5 million Australians.

Despite the challenging economic environment, Costco continues to attract discretionary spending from consumers in areas such as consumer electronics, clothing, and toys.

Tingman noted that 'the discretionary spend is the hardest and it doesn’t matter what (income) level, everyone is pinching their pennies and making sure that purchase makes sense for them'.

Looking ahead, Costco sees potential for further expansion in Australia. However, finding suitable sites for new stores remains a significant challenge.

'I’m learning that it is not easy, and we are constantly out there looking for opportunities,' Mr Tingman added.

Costco’s original store in Melbourne’s Docklands is reportedly moving to a bigger space.
Key Takeaways

• Costco's sales in Australia and New Zealand have surged by 20 per cent in 2023, showing strong performance amidst a cost of living crisis.
  • The retailer, which requires a membership for shopping, has become one of Australia's largest, with a reported $4.4 billion in sales.
  • Costco's growth is significantly outpacing traditional supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths, with its diverse range of products attracting consumers.
  • Costco Australia and New Zealand CEO Chris Tingman highlighted the competitive pricing strategy and the potential for more store openings, despite challenges in finding suitable locations.
What are your thoughts on Costco's growth in Australia? Have you shopped at Costco before? Share your experiences with us in the comments below.
As a Costco member I am attracted by the Fuel. In the past 3 months in our area they have been beaten in price by several service stations. By more than 5c a litre. They are currently back to being the cheapest but only by a center two.
As to what they sell inside the warehouse I look but don’t buy. On many grocery and most items they are not competitive . The BBQ chicken a winner both in flavour, size and price. Know your prices before buying.

I use it for all my biscuits, slices and most cakes including when I make dairy free ones.
I also use it for dishes that need butter eg sauces and mashed potato when the allergie ones are here.

My 2 1/2 year old granddaughter loves Anzac biscuits and I use it for those as well
I was having a lot of pain in the stomach and changed to lactose free milk and started to use Nutalex the same way as you do. Huge difference, no more pain.
Cheers to you 🌹

Off topic but wanted to share with you all. I just saved $50.00 on my Green slip renewal by checking on NSW registry green slip checker. Make sure you check before renewing.

Extortion....

Can I ask how much you paid. I just got my greenslip renewal and for 12 months it's $460
Suzzane, I just paid $300.00 instead of $349. My insurer price matched another quote.
I imagine it will depend on make model of car etc., but there could still be a saving. Pasted link below. Good luck.

I was having a lot of pain in the stomach and changed to lactose free milk and started to use Nutalex the same way as you do. Huge difference, no more pain.
Cheers to you 🌹
I'm lactose intolerant too. Just letting you know if you want a change, pure butter is lactose free, although as an example Western Star spreadable contains milk so it's not pure butter.
Any tasty cheese is lactose free, so don't get conned with the marketing there.

Reactions: IAN3005
Now Buying for 6 my groceries are around $300 aweek before it used to be two shopping trolleys full and around $600 each week but I have always stocked up on toilet paper, shampoos ect when half price
Me too,. anything that is half price I buy enough to last until I think they will be 50% again.
I do the same at Chemist Warehouse.
It adds up to a lot of money over the year. I try not to pay full price for anything if I can help it.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
Me too,. anything that is half price I buy enough to last until I think they will be 50% again.
I do the same at Chemist Warehouse.
It adds up to a lot of money over the year. I try not to pay full price for anything if I can help it.
I've been doing that since my kids were young, and now my daughters do the same.

This is what also got me into cooking , by having a large family

Reactions: mylittletibbies

I went with my brother and they wouldn't let me use his card, he had to put everything through on his card. So much for families being able to benefit.