Cooking Hints and Substitution

Have you ever read a recipe and wanted to make but don't have a certain item .
images.jpeg-40.jpg

Or the recipe is in Fahrenheit and you can't convert it ! Or it's in American measurements
I've been seeing so many recipes on here not making sense to people because of this .

So I thought why not do a cooking post adding conversions and substituting ideas.

Feel free to ask any cooking question

1. conversion Table

Oven temperatures​

Celsius
(electric)
Celcius
(fan forced)
FahrenheitGas
120º100º250º1very slow
150º130º300º2slow
160º140º325º3moderately slow
180º160º350º4moderate
190º170º375º5moderately hot
200º180º400º6hot
230º210º450º7very hot
250º230º500º9very hot

Metric cup & spoon sizes*​

Spoon metric
1/4 teaspoon 1.25ml
1/2 teaspoon 2.5ml
1 teaspoon 5ml
2 teaspoons 10ml
1 tablespoon (equal to 4 teaspoons) 20mls

MetricCupImperial
30ml1 fl oz
60ml1/4 cup2 fl oz
80ml1/3 cup2 3/4 fl oz
100ml3 1/2 fl oz
125ml1/2 cup4 fl oz
150ml5 fl oz
180ml3/4 cup6 fl oz
200ml7 fl oz
250ml1 cup8 3/4 fl oz
310ml1 1/4 cups10 1/2 fl oz
375ml1 1/2 cups13 fl oz
430ml1 3/4 cups15 fl oz
475ml16 fl oz
500ml2 cups17 fl oz
625ml2 1/2 cups21 1/2 fl oz
750ml3 cups26 fl oz
1L4 cups35 fl oz
1.25L5 cups44 fl oz
1.5L6 cups52 fl oz
2L8 cups70 fl oz
2.5L10 cups88 fl oz

CAKE PAN SIZES
cake pans
20cm springform cake pan8 inch
20cm square cake pan8 inch
23cm springform cake pan9 inch
25cm springform cake pan10 inch

Mass (weight)*​

10g1/4oz
15g1/2oz
30g1oz
60g2oz
90g3oz
125g4oz (1/4 lb)
155g5oz
185g6oz
220g7oz
250g8oz (1/2 lb)
280g9oz
315g10oz
345g11oz
375g12oz (3/4 lb)
410g13oz
440g14oz
470g15oz
500g (1/2 kg)16oz (1 lb)
750g24oz (1 1/2 lb)
1kg32oz (2 lb)
1.5kg48oz (3 lb)
2kg64oz (4 lb)

Last edited:
Reactions: druss and Penny4
Sponsored
images.jpeg-41.jpg

Homemade substitute works the same in cooking and baking. It’s such a time saver to be able to make your own

That’s when it is great to know how to make your own!

It is easy to do and only takes two ingredients that work perfectly in baking and cooking. It tastes just like store-bought buttermilk.

What Can I Use If I Don’t Have Buttermilk?​

There are a few homemade substitutions you can use when a recipe calls for buttermilk. Pick the option that works for you based on what you have available.

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup plain yogurt or Greek yogurt

• 1 cup buttermilk = ¾ cup sour cream + ¼ cup water or milk

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon lemon juice

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar , white vinegar or apple cider vinegar

• 1 cup buttermilk = 1 cup milk + 1 3/4 teaspoons cream of tartar

images.jpeg-46.jpg

Have you ever run out of self raising flour? No problem
It's easy to make a self-rising flour substitute at home.
: For every cup of self-rising flour, substitute one cup of Plain flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon baking soda.

I mix this together in a bowl before using it.

images.jpeg-39.jpg

Granulated sugar will usually work just as fine as a caster sugar alternative. Substitute on a 1:1 ratio (if your recipe calls for a cup of caster sugar, use a cup of granulated sugar).

If you're using granulated sugar in a cake or cookie recipe that calls for caster sugar, use this tip: Start with slightly colder than room temperature butter, then cream the butter and sugar for longer than you normally would. This gives the ingredients time to incorporate.

If you're making a meringue, meanwhile, mix granulated sugar and egg whites at a low speed longer before increasing speed. This gives the sugar ample time to dissolve.

Or you can add granulated sugar to a blender for fine sugar

Best White Wine Substitutes

images.jpeg-40.jpg

• Apple Cider Vinegar.
  • Chicken or Vegetable stock ( I use this one) .
  • Apple Juice.
  • White Grape Juice.
  • White Wine Vinegar.
  • Ginger Ale.
  • Water.

Reactions: Penny4
images.jpeg-49.jpg
Easy ... Yoghurt or Greek Yoghurt

Or
coconut cream also works well when substituting sour cream in sauces and creams.

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup coconut cream from full fat can of coconut milk (Refrigerate canned coconut milk for 8 hours. Skim the cream from the top.)
  • 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
  • 1 pinch salt

Last edited:
A Cooking Hint.

Herbs are amazing in alot of recipes and are so easy to grow .
Why buy from shops and pay a fortune.

Even if you live in a small space, you can grow then on verandahs or in hanging pots.

These
three herbs are the easiest to grow
I grow lots of parsley , I use this in everything .

Mint another herb I grow plenty of.

Dill a must-have herb.

I grow everything just about everything in this picture and I use everything I even have a bay leaf tree and 4 different mints

Have you tried growing your own herbs ?

Do you have any secrets of growing herbs you would like to share

images.jpeg-41.jpg

Last edited:
thank you Suzanne rose, some great hints especially the buttermilk substitute I would not have thought of that one, while you are being so generous with your cooking skills can you help with this one please. A lot of recipes (especially American ones) use cream as an ingredient but this does terrible things to my digestion (Acid Reflux) I know that Yoghurt can be used instead of cream but when do you add it to the cooking process to prevent it from splitting.

Reactions: Suzanne rose
thank you Suzanne rose, some great hints especially the buttermilk substitute I would not have thought of that one, while you are being so generous with your cooking skills can you help with this one please. A lot of recipes (especially American ones) use cream as an ingredient but this does terrible things to my digestion (Acid Reflux) I know that Yoghurt can be used instead of cream but when do you add it to the cooking process to prevent it from splitting.
Cream might be too rich. You could try a can of evaporated milk?

Reactions: Gaena
images.jpeg-40.jpg
Substitutes for cream

Milk and butter

Combine 1/4 cup (57 grams) of melted butter with 3/4 cup (178 mL) of milk and mix thoroughly to make 1 cup (237 ml) of heavy cream. You can also add a tablespoon (8 grams) of flour to thicken the liquid, especially if you’re using low fat milk.

Yoghurt

Coconut milk

Evaporated milk

Reactions: Penny4
I've added Substitutes below and just add the same time as you would add the cream.

Reactions: Gaena
These are Flour measurements if anyone wants them.

2 cups = 300gr
1 cup = 150gr
3/4 cup = 112.5gr
2/3 cup = 100gr
1/2 cup = 75gr
1/3 cup = 50gr
1/4 cup = 37.5gr

Reactions: Suzanne rose
For New Cooks and New Recipes .

Set your timer for a few minutes less than the called-for time.​

Not only do all ovens heat differently, but you'll also never really know how yours handles a new protein or veggie at first. That's all to say you can always fix an undercooked situation—there's nothing to be done once you go over.