'Cookie Monster' killer begs for mercy after poisoning husband with deadly drug-infused biscuits

Content warning: This article mentions vivid descriptions of a crime scene, abuse, such as physical, mental and sexual abuse, eating disorders, and domestic and family violence. Reader discretion is advised.

It is an unimaginable story of abuse and betrayal that has shocked the residents of a tiny town in north-western Victoria.

A wife who claims to have been abused by her husband found her own horrific way of getting out of her allegedly torture-filled marriage.

In a heartbreaking and shocking case, 43-year-old Rebecca Payne has pleaded for mercy after being found guilty of the murder of her 68-year-old husband, Noel Payne.

The Supreme Court of Victoria heard that Rebecca had endured years of horrendous abuse at the hands of her husband before she decided to take matters into her own hands.

crime1.jpg
Rebecca claims she is the real victim. Credit: Martin Lopez/Pexels

Rebecca has since been dubbed as the 'Cookie Monster Killer' after she poisoned her husband with temazepam, a sleeping medication, that was mixed in the biscuits she served him before locking him up in a chest freezer.

The woman faced the court on Monday, where her barrister, Richard Edney, urged Justice Rita Incerti to consider the years of torture his client had suffered and requested mercy for her.

According to Mr Edney, Rebecca was pushed to her limits by a controlling and depraved man, who turned their home into a house of horrors where he allegedly treated her and another woman like objects for his twisted sexual desires.

‘In this extreme and unique case, any term of imprisonment should be proportionately lower than would ordinarily be the case for murder,’ Mr Edney explained.

Rebecca has pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to manslaughter. However, in March, a jury found her guilty of murdering her husband despite her claims that she did not actually mean to kill him.

crime2.jpg
Noel Payne's remains were stuffed inside a freezer. Credit: Facebook

According to the facts of the case collected by investigators and witness testimonies, Rebecca and Noel had a strained relationship due to Noel’s abusive behaviour.

‘He always controlled the money, and he took me down the gravel road, down near the graveyard. He dragged me out of the car by my hair,’ Rebecca told the court.

She continued: ‘He just started physically hitting me and pulling my hair and kicking me in the ribs and spitting on me. It felt like forever, but I reckon I would have been there for about five [or] 10 minutes.’

The court heard that Noel verbally abused Rebecca ‘every day’ and would hit her three to four times a week.

‘He'd punch me in the mouth, and he would hit me in the face. He would punch me in the head. There were multiple times that I got punches in the back as I tried to walk away, and he would physically grab my hair and pull me back if I tried to walk away,’ she claimed.

‘And there was the spitting. The spitting was nearly an everyday occurrence.’

In a particularly intense incident, Rebecca said Noel wanted his name tattooed ‘all over her body’.

‘Because who would want someone who had someone else's name tattooed all over me and that they would not love me,’ she said.

There are 18 tattoos in total. Rebecca said the tattoos could be found on both sides of her neck, her wrist, on each breast, her sternum, back, shoulder blades, tailbone, bum, hip, pelvis bone, and in between her legs.

The court also heard that Noel had taken another lover who also lived within the family home during the course of his marriage to Rebecca. For legal reasons, the other woman will not be named.

Mr Edney alleged that Noel had ‘savagely’ abused both women leading up to his death.

The court heard that Noel wanted Rebecca to weigh 55 kilograms and the other woman to weigh 45 kilograms.

‘He said that he wanted photos so he could keep progress on our weight,’ she said.

‘That's how it started off, and then the photos become more frequent. Me and [the second live-in partner] were scared of him, so it was easier just to do what he wanted, so then that way we wouldn't be physically or verbally abused.’

‘I actually had an eating disorder because of how he was. When I would eat, he’d call me nothing but a pig,’ Rebecca told the court.

‘The conduct against both Rebecca and (the woman) was reprehensible, obscene. He raped them, sexually assaulted them and let's be clear (the woman) was a young woman with an acquired brain injury,’ said Mr Edney.

During the trial, the jury was shown disturbing footage of the abuse at the hands of Noel.

One victim impact statement from the other woman in the relationship seemed to hint at relief. She said: ‘He wanted to keep me all for himself. If Noel wasn’t dead, my life would still be worse. I hate Bec (Rebecca) for what she’s done, but life is now better than it was.’

Much like Rebecca, the other woman claimed he branded tattoos of his name on the most intimate parts of her body.

‘Places you can only see if I’m naked. He made me get these because he wouldn’t let me find someone else. These can’t be removed; they’re very dark and in thick writing,’ she told the court.

According to forensic investigators, Rebecca had knocked Noel out cold by serving him biscuits and a cup of Milo laced with sleeping pills.

Forensic doctors were unable to determine if he had died from an overdose or suffocation after Rebecca stuffed his body in a chest freezer and locked it shut.

Many who knew Rebecca, including her sons, said she had ‘done her time’ after living with Noel’s behaviour for years.

‘She lived for 14 years in hell with a monster,’ her son Jamie told reporters.

A neighbour of the couple also claimed that there was ‘not a doubt in the world’ that Noel had plans to kill Rebecca, her two sons, and the other woman.

‘She saved at least four lives. She didn't know whether she was going to go to bed and wake up the next morning. Or whether her boys were going to go to bed and wake up the next morning,’ he stated.

However, Prosecutor David Glynn said Rebecca was a ‘cold-blooded killer’.

He said that after Noel passed out, she wrapped his body in a blanket and stashed him away in an empty freezer before tying the lid down with straps to ensure he could not escape.

‘It must have been ghastly. I mean to just do that, to do what she did to him. That is something that anyone I think who wasn't a psychopath – I’m not suggesting she is one – would recoil from,’ he shared.

Mr Glynn further argued: ‘It would require a significant degree of determination and grit to do what she did...She had that grit, she had that foresight, she had the determination, but she applied it to this purpose, and that is murder, rather than a different way that she could have extracted herself, namely working out a way to leave that marriage.’

Justice Incerti will sentence Rebecca next week.

Key Takeaways
  • Rebecca Payne, 43, has been found guilty of the sadistic murder of her abusive husband, Noel Payne, 68, after drugging and stuffing him into a chest freezer.
  • During her trial, Rebecca claimed that she had suffered years of abuse and torture at the hands of her husband, including being branded with 18 tattoos and being raped multiple times.
  • Both Rebecca and her husband's other lover, who lived with them in the family home, have come forward alleging to have been savagely abused by Noel.
  • The court is expected to sentence Rebecca next week, with her barrister urging the judge to show mercy in light of the victim's sufferings.
Should you or someone you know face a similar situation, please remember to call 000 in an emergency. If you or someone you know is feeling unsafe, help is available. Please contact the Domestic Violence Line on 1800 737 732.

Sponsored
A horrible and sad situation.
I would say taking a life for any reason isn't ok but I can't judge as we don't know what her circumstances were.

My questions are ...Why didn't she leave?
Why didn't she seek help ?

There is so much help out there for abused people.

getting those tattoos she had the chance to tell someone what was happening.

Didn't the tattooist think it was strange ?
Why didn't she just sedate him and leave.
A very sad situation for this woman unless we know the full story we can't judge.

I'm feeling death was the easy way for this man, he should have suffered in jail

Last edited:
It’s easy to say why didn’t she leave but from knowing people who have been in an abusive relationship it isn’t that cut and dried. It isn’t alright to take a life and that poor woman will live with that for the rest of her life. I hope she doesn’t have to spend too much time in prison because this lady needs a lot of counselling and not feel afraid every day. I hope she can live without fear with her children somewhere safe.

Sounds easy just leave he was a controlling abusive man they watch everything you do you are accountable to them if she tries to escape she gets worse and posilly killed but that’s ok just don’t kill him correct punish the chidren then as get back it horribly hard for woman in these circumstances we don’t know what happened with the children She fought for her life another lades life and the children Try and get some insight into woman’s shelters they are everywheresome times there is nowhere safe they v follow you. You say it’s not right to kill a man incurcumstances like this but so. You get first. How many woman get killed at the hands of abusive men.
The lady needs a lot of help to rebuild a life with her children not jail Oh but then the sentence was handed down by a man think carefully

Content warning: This article mentions vivid descriptions of a crime scene, abuse, such as physical, mental and sexual abuse, eating disorders, and domestic and family violence. Reader discretion is advised.

It is an unimaginable story of abuse and betrayal that has shocked the residents of a tiny town in north-western Victoria.

A wife who claims to have been abused by her husband found her own horrific way of getting out of her allegedly torture-filled marriage.

In a heartbreaking and shocking case, 43-year-old Rebecca Payne has pleaded for mercy after being found guilty of the murder of her 68-year-old husband, Noel Payne.

The Supreme Court of Victoria heard that Rebecca had endured years of horrendous abuse at the hands of her husband before she decided to take matters into her own hands.

View attachment 20443

Rebecca has since been dubbed as the 'Cookie Monster Killer' after she poisoned her husband with temazepam, a sleeping medication, that was mixed in the biscuits she served him before locking him up in a chest freezer.

The woman faced the court on Monday, where her barrister, Richard Edney, urged Justice Rita Incerti to consider the years of torture his client had suffered and requested mercy for her.

According to Mr Edney, Rebecca was pushed to her limits by a controlling and depraved man, who turned their home into a house of horrors where he allegedly treated her and another woman like objects for his twisted sexual desires.

‘In this extreme and unique case, any term of imprisonment should be proportionately lower than would ordinarily be the case for murder,’ Mr Edney explained.

Rebecca has pleaded not guilty to murder but guilty to manslaughter. However, in March, a jury found her guilty of murdering her husband despite her claims that she did not actually mean to kill him.

View attachment 20444

According to the facts of the case collected by investigators and witness testimonies, Rebecca and Noel had a strained relationship due to Noel’s abusive behaviour.

‘He always controlled the money, and he took me down the gravel road, down near the graveyard. He dragged me out of the car by my hair,’ Rebecca told the court.

She continued: ‘He just started physically hitting me and pulling my hair and kicking me in the ribs and spitting on me. It felt like forever, but I reckon I would have been there for about five [or] 10 minutes.’

The court heard that Noel verbally abused Rebecca ‘every day’ and would hit her three to four times a week.

‘He'd punch me in the mouth, and he would hit me in the face. He would punch me in the head. There were multiple times that I got punches in the back as I tried to walk away, and he would physically grab my hair and pull me back if I tried to walk away,’ she claimed.

In a particularly intense incident, Rebecca said Noel wanted his name tattooed ‘all over her body’.

‘Because who would want someone who had someone else's name tattooed all over me and that they would not love me,’ she said.

There are 18 tattoos in total. Rebecca said the tattoos could be found on both sides of her neck, her wrist, on each breast, her sternum, back, shoulder blades, tailbone, bum, hip, pelvis bone, and in between her legs.

The court also heard that Noel had taken another lover who also lived within the family home during the course of his marriage to Rebecca. For legal reasons, the other woman will not be named.

Mr Edney alleged that Noel had ‘savagely’ abused both women leading up to his death.

The court heard that Noel wanted Rebecca to weigh 55 kilograms and the other woman to weigh 45 kilograms.

‘He said that he wanted photos so he could keep progress on our weight,’ she said.

‘That's how it started off, and then the photos become more frequent. Me and [the second live-in partner] were scared of him, so it was easier just to do what he wanted, so then that way we wouldn't be physically or verbally abused.’

‘I actually had an eating disorder because of how he was. When I would eat, he’d call me nothing but a pig,’ Rebecca told the court.

‘The conduct against both Rebecca and (the woman) was reprehensible, obscene. He raped them, sexually assaulted them and let's be clear (the woman) was a young woman with an acquired brain injury,’ said Mr Edney.

During the trial, the jury was shown disturbing footage of the abuse at the hands of Noel.

One victim impact statement from the other woman in the relationship seemed to hint at relief. She said: ‘He wanted to keep me all for himself. If Noel wasn’t dead, my life would still be worse. I hate Bec (Rebecca) for what she’s done, but life is now better than it was.’

Much like Rebecca, the other woman claimed he branded tattoos of his name on the most intimate parts of her body.

‘Places you can only see if I’m naked. He made me get these because he wouldn’t let me find someone else. These can’t be removed; they’re very dark and in thick writing,’ she told the court.

According to forensic investigators, Rebecca had knocked Noel out cold by serving him biscuits and a cup of Milo laced with sleeping pills.

Forensic doctors were unable to determine if he had died from an overdose or suffocation after Rebecca stuffed his body in a chest freezer and locked it shut.

Many who knew Rebecca, including her sons, said she had ‘done her time’ after living with Noel’s behaviour for years.

A neighbour of the couple also claimed that there was ‘not a doubt in the world’ that Noel had plans to kill Rebecca, her two sons, and the other woman.

‘She saved at least four lives. She didn't know whether she was going to go to bed and wake up the next morning. Or whether her boys were going to go to bed and wake up the next morning,’ he stated.

He said that after Noel passed out, she wrapped his body in a blanket and stashed him away in an empty freezer before tying the lid down with straps to ensure he could not escape.

‘It must have been ghastly. I mean to just do that, to do what she did to him. That is something that anyone I think who wasn't a psychopath – I’m not suggesting she is one – would recoil from,’ he shared.

Mr Glynn further argued: ‘It would require a significant degree of determination and grit to do what she did...She had that grit, she had that foresight, she had the determination, but she applied it to this purpose, and that is murder, rather than a different way that she could have extracted herself, namely working out a way to leave that marriage.’

Key Takeaways

• Rebecca Payne, 43, has been found guilty of the sadistic murder of her abusive husband, Noel Payne, 68, after drugging and stuffing him into a chest freezer.
  • During her trial, Rebecca claimed that she had suffered years of abuse and torture at the hands of her husband, including being branded with 18 tattoos and being raped multiple times.
  • Both Rebecca and her husband's other lover, who lived with them in the family home, have come forward alleging to have been savagely abused by Noel.
  • The court is expected to sentence Rebecca next week, with her barrister urging the judge to show mercy in light of the victim's sufferings.
Should you or someone you know face a similar situation, please remember to call 000 in an emergency. If you or someone you know is feeling unsafe, help is available. Please contact the Domestic Violence Line on 1800 737 732.
he was a sicko. well doneRebecca

It’s easy to say why didn’t she leave but from knowing people who have been in an abusive relationship it isn’t that cut and dried. It isn’t alright to take a life and that poor woman will live with that for the rest of her life. I hope she doesn’t have to spend too much time in prison because this lady needs a lot of counselling and not feel afraid every day. I hope she can live without fear with her children somewhere safe.
with the tattoos it would be hard not to remember this animal.

I wish this lady & her children the best. What an horrific life she has had with this man. She was pushed to the absolute brink of despair & took what she say as her only option. i still think of that woman & her little children burnt to death in front of her parents home by her abusive ex. Leaving doesn’t mean safe!

I wish this lady & her children the best. What an horrific life she has had with this man. She was pushed to the absolute brink of despair & took what she say as her only option. i still think of that woman & her little children burnt to death in front of her parents home by her abusive ex. Leaving doesn’t mean safe!
Well said kettle w we forget so easy so there dead The abuse we is in jail That’s it to get out on a mental health issue and start on another victim just charming solution and they will get another victim just don’t kill the man enough said

Reactions: Leanne D and Ricci
It is easy to ask, why didn’t she just leave. I can imagine after so many years of abuse you can understand that she was in so much pain and rage that she did what she did. In my opinion, she deserves to get free.
I don’t know if she mentally and emotionally will ever be free and I hope she will get free of jail sentence and find good support team

The world is a much better place without that horrid, evil, wicked man in it. These sort of men control you, degrade you and abuse you to the point where you feel worthless, without a voice and without any way out. Obviously murder wasn't the right thing to do and she's now suffering, again, in jail.
It's OK for some to say seek help but it isn't always that easy to escape long enough to do just that, that poor woman, believe me I know first hand.
My heart goes out to her and only hope someone can seek justice for her and do something to get her out of jail, she's been in jail the whole time she was with that idiot she lived with.

It is easy to ask, why didn’t she just leave. I can imagine after so many years of abuse you can understand that she was in so much pain and rage that she did what she did. In my opinion, she deserves to get free.
I don’t know if she mentally and emotionally will ever be free and I hope she will get free of jail sentence and find good support team
I agree, it sounds like a case of kill or be killed! The justice system is a joke! The police won’t do anything about it until there has been a fatality. She has served “her time” I stand with Rebbecka!

I would say taking a life for any reason isn't ok but I can't judge as we don't know what her circumstances were.

A very sad situation for this woman unless we know the full story we can't judge.

I'm feeling death was the easy way for this man, he should have suffered in jail

View attachment 20443

View attachment 20444

Key Takeaways

I’m afraid that sort of person does not suffer in jail. If jails were like the olden days then yes but definitely not today. I think what she did was not right but I also think she was not in her right mind due to the ongoing abuse.Yes help is out there now but people in these long term situations don’t seem to be able to see clearly and it’s up to family, friends or neighbours to at least alert authorities so the allegations are noted.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
The world is a much better place without that horrid, evil, wicked man in it. These sort of men control you, degrade you and abuse you to the point where you feel worthless, without a voice and without any way out. Obviously murder wasn't the right thing to do and she's now suffering, again, in jail.
It's OK for some to say seek help but it isn't always that easy to escape long enough to do just that, that poor woman, believe me I know first hand.
My heart goes out to her and only hope someone can seek justice for her and do something to get her out of jail, she's been in jail the whole time she was with that idiot she lived with.
Skeeta You absolutely nailed it so right sone people a lot of people say oh get help try it result more beating control freak means you can’t move a muscle without the abuser knowing you may be locked in a room the repercussions via the children that’s get back
the law is perthetic it’s so hidden. If the guys where locked up inn isolation first attempt it may not happen as much bring back old school punishment dished out by woman who have been abused that would be justice
People do not know the severity of this do men do it to men coarse not

There is no doubt that the offender was a malicious, cowardly and twisted Sexual deviate. A proper Arch Bastard. I do not question whether this poor Woman did/could not leave but I do question how on Earth did She allow herself to become involved with such a Deviate.

Reactions: pascoevale

Unless you been in that situation, you cannot just say just leave. It is not easy, I used to think that until it happen to me. It wasn't easy. They manipulate you beyond your control. And look at so of the murders of women and children after they leave. You are so fearful they will find you and kill you.