Controversial driving move by ute driver divides opinion

A recent incident involving a driver of a utility vehicle has sparked an intense and divisive reaction among Aussies on social media.

Some view the driver's actions as entitled and risky, suggesting their impatience could have led to a dangerous accident. Meanwhile, others support the driver's behaviour.

The incident occurred on Ridge Hill Road in Helena Valley, Perth, as captured by dashcam footage. In the video, we see a driver navigating the road carefully, particularly when encountering cyclists while travelling in a northward direction.

The vehicle recording the footage overtook one cyclist with caution, and then it patiently followed behind a second cyclist, waiting for the right moment to pass.

After waiting for about a minute, a truck approached from the opposite direction. Shortly after, a white utility vehicle crossed double unbroken lines, overtaking both the first driver and the second cyclist.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 2.17.38 PM.png
The reaction to the utility driver's manoeuvre was completely mixed, with a wave of arguments on both sides. Credit: Facebook.

Needless to say, the video garnered a lot of attention on the internet, leading to heated debates.

Some supported the utility driver, arguing that the cyclist had ample time to overtake the vehicle. 'I usually ride in the bike lane, and when there are cars, I give them plenty of space to pass, or sometimes I go on the footpath if there is one and no one on it,' said one user.

A few argued that roads not designed for cyclists shouldn't allow bikes. Others also believed the dashcam driver had multiple opportunities to pass safely.

On the other hand, some people defended the dashcam driver, even going as far as calling the utility driver 'entitled'.

They praised the patience of drivers who showed consideration for cyclists, noting that the cyclists were keeping a safe distance. 'Nice to see drivers having patience with bikes,' they said.

Concerns were also raised about the utility driver's actions, particularly the risky maneuver over a double white line.

'That was so dangerous, putting everyone's life in danger…' commented one user.

Edward Hore, President of the Australian Cycling Alliance, strongly criticised the ute driver, asserting that they were 'absolutely in the wrong'.

Hore clarified the situation: 'By passing the cyclist, he did not break the law. But he did break the law by passing the truck because of the double white lines.'

He went on to commend the truck driver, who captured the incident on their dashcam, saying: 'He is a legend, and he needs to be celebrated. He was very aware of what was happening and where he was on the road.'

Hore further argued that the utility vehicle driver should reconsider their qualifications to hold a driver's license, as their actions were illegal and hazardous.

In Western Australia, the road rules dictate that drivers should not cross double-unbroken lines for overtaking.

However, there are exceptions: you can cross these lines to turn right at an intersection or when entering or exiting a property or a different road. Violating this rule can lead to a $150 fine and three demerit points on your license.

In contrast, overtaking is allowed in other states like New South Wales when passing a bicycle. You can also cross double lines to avoid an obstruction in the road, as long as that obstruction is not a slower or stopped car.

However, in Victoria, the rules are more stringent. Passing a cyclist on a road with double unbroken lines is prohibited.

According to VicRoads, 'You are not allowed cross over these lines for any reason unless you have to avoid an obstruction and it is safe to do so. You can't overtake, turn, or enter or leave the road across double lines.'

Key Takeaways

• A ute driver's manoeuvre to overtake a cyclist along a busy Perth road has divided opinions online.
  • Dashcam footage shows the driver crossing double unbroken lines to overtake the cyclist and another vehicle, an act labelled by some as 'entitled' and 'dangerous'.
  • The president of the Australian Cycling Alliance, Edward Hore, condemned the ute driver's actions, stating they broke the law and put lives at risk.
  • Under WA's road rules, drivers are prohibited from crossing double unbroken lines to overtake, with the offence punishable by a $150 fine and three demerit points.

Members, what do you think of the incident? Who do you think was in the right? That said, we also urge everyone to stay safe on the road!

Sponsored
I agree 100% with Mr Hore. The Ute driver displayed nothing but impatience and utter disregard for his, the cyclists and the other motorists safety. I also agree that narrow roads that do not have a designated cyclist or breakdown lane should not be allowed for use by cyclists (as a matter of safety, not as a matter of discrimination).
Having not viewed the actual motion footage I cannot comment on the truck drivers actions. Perhaps her did have ample opportunity to overtake the cyclist prior to the snap shot shown in this article, or perhaps not, however I also have respect for all truck drivers who chose to err on the side of caution in such situations.
What, bike riders are as entitle to ride on roads as anyone, drivers have the responsibility to pass them with the riders safety paramount. The Laws states give bikes at least 1.5 mtr clearance.

Reactions: Observer
On closer inspection, the cyclist is not keeping as close to the left as possible, so he is a part of the problem. However, the Ute driver is in the wrong and could have killed someone with his impatience. Next question, Does the cyclist know he is holding up traffic? Answer, if he doesn't then he should. Most likely got buds in his ears.

A recent incident involving a driver of a utility vehicle has sparked an intense and divisive reaction among Aussies on social media.

Some view the driver's actions as entitled and risky, suggesting their impatience could have led to a dangerous accident. Meanwhile, others support the driver's behaviour.

The incident occurred on Ridge Hill Road in Helena Valley, Perth, as captured by dashcam footage. In the video, we see a driver navigating the road carefully, particularly when encountering cyclists while travelling in a northward direction.

The vehicle recording the footage overtook one cyclist with caution, and then it patiently followed behind a second cyclist, waiting for the right moment to pass.

After waiting for about a minute, a truck approached from the opposite direction. Shortly after, a white utility vehicle crossed double unbroken lines, overtaking both the first driver and the second cyclist.

View attachment 32650
The reaction to the utility driver's manoeuvre was completely mixed, with a wave of arguments on both sides. Credit: Facebook.

Needless to say, the video garnered a lot of attention on the internet, leading to heated debates.

Some supported the utility driver, arguing that the cyclist had ample time to overtake the vehicle. 'I usually ride in the bike lane, and when there are cars, I give them plenty of space to pass, or sometimes I go on the footpath if there is one and no one on it,' said one user.

A few argued that roads not designed for cyclists shouldn't allow bikes. Others also believed the dashcam driver had multiple opportunities to pass safely.

On the other hand, some people defended the dashcam driver, even going as far as calling the utility driver 'entitled'.

They praised the patience of drivers who showed consideration for cyclists, noting that the cyclists were keeping a safe distance. 'Nice to see drivers having patience with bikes,' they said.

Concerns were also raised about the utility driver's actions, particularly the risky maneuver over a double white line.

Edward Hore, President of the Australian Cycling Alliance, strongly criticised the ute driver, asserting that they were 'absolutely in the wrong'.

Hore clarified the situation: 'By passing the cyclist, he did not break the law. But he did break the law by passing the truck because of the double white lines.'

He went on to commend the truck driver, who captured the incident on their dashcam, saying: 'He is a legend, and he needs to be celebrated. He was very aware of what was happening and where he was on the road.'

Hore further argued that the utility vehicle driver should reconsider their qualifications to hold a driver's license, as their actions were illegal and hazardous.

In Western Australia, the road rules dictate that drivers should not cross double-unbroken lines for overtaking.

However, there are exceptions: you can cross these lines to turn right at an intersection or when entering or exiting a property or a different road. Violating this rule can lead to a $150 fine and three demerit points on your license.

In contrast, overtaking is allowed in other states like New South Wales when passing a bicycle. You can also cross double lines to avoid an obstruction in the road, as long as that obstruction is not a slower or stopped car.

However, in Victoria, the rules are more stringent. Passing a cyclist on a road with double unbroken lines is prohibited.

According to VicRoads, 'You are not allowed cross over these lines for any reason unless you have to avoid an obstruction and it is safe to do so. You can't overtake, turn, or enter or leave the road across double lines.'

Key Takeaways

• A ute driver's manoeuvre to overtake a cyclist along a busy Perth road has divided opinions online.
  • Dashcam footage shows the driver crossing double unbroken lines to overtake the cyclist and another vehicle, an act labelled by some as 'entitled' and 'dangerous'.
  • The president of the Australian Cycling Alliance, Edward Hore, condemned the ute driver's actions, stating they broke the law and put lives at risk.
  • Under WA's road rules, drivers are prohibited from crossing double unbroken lines to overtake, with the offence punishable by a $150 fine and three demerit points.

Members, what do you think of the incident? Who do you think was in the right? That said, we also urge everyone to stay safe on the road!
Double white lines mean that it is dangerous to overtake just there. The photo clearly shows a bend in the road about a hundred metres ahead. A car coming around that bend would be invisible until it was heading straight at the utility.

View attachment 32650

Key Takeaways

Simple fact: the double lines were there fr a reason: not enough visibility ahead was available for a safe overtaking manoevre!

There are a number of discussion points that can be raised in terms of this incident. In fact, this would be a great training scenario whether it be for car drivers, truck drivers, cyclists or just as importantly for learner drivers/riders for the above vehicles (I include learner riders of bikes as there is much that they need to consider as well when riding a bike on the road as well).

The necessary skills required of a driver/rider fall under the following headings - Concentration, Observations, Judgement and Manoeuvring Skills (driving/riding skills meaning actually manoeuvring and controlling a vehicle e.g., braking, steering, acceleration, positioning etc). These main four areas are encompassed by an overarching control mechanism which is Attitude.
These things should form the basis for understanding and displaying the skills required (both mentally and physically) of a thinking driver/rider.

Regardless of the stages leading up to this incident and the overtaking incident in itself, there is no doubt that the actions of the overtaking vehicle is lacking in all of the above areas that I have discussed. His/her driving actions have created a dangerous situation for all concerned and even perhaps the unknown which may be a vehicle traveling in the opposite direction. So, we can see that from the one action the possibility and risks to four different people become evident (leave along any passengers).

In this instance let's use the scenario as a training tool:

My OBSERVATIONS would tell me that there are double lines, an obstructed view of oncoming vehicles (blind corner), a large vehicle that I will need to overtake which to a degree is obstructing my view, and a lack of road space given that the bike is to the left of the road and taking up a portion of it and the large truck is in front. My JUDGEMENT in this situation would then tell me that as a result of what I am seeing, the choice to overtake at this point is high risk and has the potential for a collision of some sort to occur leave alone the fact that I would be committing an offence by crossing double barrier lines at this point. I know this because I have been CONCENTRATING while I'm driving and as a result have not been distracted whether that be by fidgeting in the car, phones, conversations (hands free phones or with passengers) loud music, tired or under the influence of any substance. My actual MANOEUVRING skills at this point is quite minimal and would come into play when the right opportunity to overtake presents itself, in other words positive and controlled acceleration, a smooth transition onto the incorrect side of the road, controlled steering to ensure the vehicle remains stable and the same when transitioning back once the overtake is completed. But at this stage all I can do to is to pull back from the truck ahead and provide an appropriate gap in front giving me a larger field of vision ahead when the right time to overtake comes. All of this is in my mind because my ATTITUDE to driving in general means that these are the sorts of skills one needs to have or develop in order to be a safe, skilled and thinking driver and breaking the law or extreme lack of patience is not one of them.

The purpose of this post is not to promote discussion of whether bikes should or shouldn't be on the road, or whether some states have different laws or even to the point of better engineered roads, but to the fact that this sort of situation and the lack of those skills discussed above is what leads to actual and potential life-threatening situations on our roads and I use this scenario as an example.

Adopting the above philosophy should be a cornerstone of any training program. This applies to both learner drivers and those more experienced. It provides a platform for the development of sound skills which will carry our young drivers into the future and also assists those more experienced to self-reflect on their own driving habits a look for opportunities to improve.

I hope this generates some good thoughts, whether they be private or public.

CyclistS cause more accidents than any other road user, they're inconsiderate entitled and don't pay rego, more importantly, don't pay insurance, get off the roads. Especially 2 lane roads, you hold up traffic and endanger your own lives.
Cyclists also have the right, like all other vehicles to travel on roads and be shown courtesy and care by other road users

In SA it is permitted to cross double lines to overtake a cyclist, provided it is safe to do do. The ute driver is completely in the wrong, exhibiting the impatience which causes so many collisions.
You will find it's probably legal to pass a cyclist in normal conditions but the ute driver is totally in the wrong. The driver following the cyclist probably could have passed him earlier but we don't know how long he was travelling behind him. I will pass a cyclist asap to ensure traffic is flowing smoothly as long as the cyclist is sensible but not all are!

View attachment 32650

Key Takeaways

what an idiot

In W.A. a recently introduced Law requires motor vehicle drivers (incl trucks) to be a minimum of one metre from a cyclist when passing them. This avoids the problem of hitting them. This rule from what l have seen when driving is working well with drivers showing restraint & waiting for a safe time to pass them.

In the photo shown allowing one metre would put a car, for example, straddled 1/2 & 1/2 over the double white line. I believe in erring on the side of caution even at the risk of being tooted by unhappy road users.

View attachment 32650

Key Takeaways

Going from the picture, the ute driver was being totally impatient and stupidly irrisponsible.

Reactions: Ezzy and Observer
No-one has picked up that the Ute driver has over taken close to a bend in the road and what appears to be a crest of a hill. No one can see what may be coming around that bend. Yes, double lines are a no no, as well - all in all, a potentially dangerous situation
Yes that was the first thing I noticed - brain dead driver!

Well it is disappointing seeing all the negative comments regarding the cyclists entitlement to be on the road. These people need to relax. I am a heavy vehicle driver (MC) bus driver (aged care) car driver and cyclist. I have never had a problem with cyclists but have had many more problems with impatient ignorant selfish car drivers. This topic should not even be in question, A vehicle has the right to pass a cyclist over unbroken center lines so long as it is safe to do so. At no time in my driving career has it been legal to pass another vehicle over unbroken center lines, why is this even being discussed, report him to the police and have him charged.

View attachment 32650

Key Takeaways

The ute driver broke the law, but many cyclists are ignorant, stupid morons, they leave what brain the have in a box at home. Cyclists should have to pay to be on the road, such as insurance, as if they are hurt they claim on the vehicle drivers insurance, many cyclists who own car or what that they pay insurance, but every vehicle you have you pay insurance, in Western Australia and probably in all other states.

View attachment 32650

Key Takeaways

The Ute driver was in the wrong because he broke the law by crossing double unbroken lines. It sounds as if he is one of the getting there 4 seconds faster brigade, who I frequently see on our roads and who end up only one car ahead at the next set of lights! He needs to learn the rules.

All very well and good for people who live in areas where there are multi lanes or bike lanes, but Australia is a big place with many small roads. People are allowed to ride their bicycle on the roads unless signposted otherwise. Not all riders are recreational, some are doing it for practical transport, so need to ride on roads you all deem unsafe. I reckon it would be damn scary riding with all these bullheaded car drivers around.
Also note that the ute appears to be a mine vehicle so maybe the company needs to educate their staff on rules of the road in that state.

The damn cyclist should have moved over closer to the curb and gave way to the ute (traffic). Never mind this BS of having a meter between them and traffic! Meanwhile they wobble their @$$ all over the road and use the excuse they have a licence to so have the right to hog the road. So What? If you're on a 2 wheel pedal power bike (compared to a motor bike) then give way to the traffic around you and respect that the rest of the users on the road are bigger, heavier and more protected than your @$$ is on that flimsy frame with no surrounding coverage around you unlike the rest of the traffic excepting motorbikes.
Long as the ute driver passed the bike rider and got into the right lane as soon as possible i'm on the side of the ute driver.

If i could ride a bike with loud music (full volume) through headphones and still keep an eye on the traffic behind me and give way to the traffic no one meter distance needed and stuck as close as i could the the side of the road or just inside the parking lane - as i was taught - which should still be taught that way - then why can't anyone else?
Stuff the one meter rule - if you can't ride without it then get of the road and on the footpath til you get the courage to put your big girl/guy pants on and share the road without restricting those bigger than you on it.

• Sad

View attachment 32650

Key Takeaways

Maybe it should be like the UK where it is not permissible to overtake a cyclist on double white lines if they are travelling over 16kmh.