Company 'rewards' an employee of 42 years with a barbecue for his retirement

We often hear stories of hard-working individuals who finally choose to start their well-deserved retirement after giving decades of their lives in service of their respective industries.

Well, in an ideal world, they’re supposed to receive a well-planned celebration. However, it seems that a man’s recent story about retirement has taken quite a detour from this ideal scenario.

This is the story of John, now in his 70s, who was ‘rewarded’ for his service to an unnamed company with a BBQ and a certificate.

After spending 42 long years clocking in on time, putting in his hours and enduring a 40-minute commute each way, the older employee finished his journey at his company with what can be mildly stated as a 'less-than-ideal' farewell.

Photo_20231004_094255_0000.png
John retired from his company after 42 years and received a BBQ and a certificate. Credit: @m3nta11y1ll1/TikTok

The event was met with disapproval and disappointment from many of his colleagues, many of whom have also worked there for over 30 years.

Sonia, one of John's coworkers, found this lacklustre send-off deeply unjust. She decided to make a public callout and used the power of social media to highlight the spirit of John's service and the hollow token of appreciation his company gave him.

In a now-deleted video, Sonia showed John’s last day at work, saying: 'Today is my co-worker's last day. He worked for this company for 42 years making minimum wage.’

She continued, 'He loves working here so much he didn’t want to retire. [He got] No bonus, just a barbecue and a certificate. Don’t be a slave to your job. Thank you, John, for your loyalty.'

The video garnered the interest of thousands of social media users, igniting a wave of empathy, anger, and surprise online. Most of them voiced their sentiments and rallied to help John feel appreciated.

Photo_20231004_094352_0000.png
Sonia, John’s co-worker, posted a video on social media on his last day of work. Credit: @m3nta11y1ll1/TikTok

Sonia was quick to action, setting up a GoFundMe to raise funds and give John ‘a little something for a better retirement’.

The fundraiser's description read: ‘Rain or shine, he will make it to work! Extremely dependable! It doesn’t matter how much we would suggest to take his [holiday] days, he would still want to work!’

It continued: ‘He has no wife or kids however, he does have a nephew he loves dearly. It would be nice to give him some kind of company or something to do so he knows he’s special and loved.’

In just a few days, the funds raised had swiftly crossed John's retirement fund, amounting to almost $32,000 at the time of writing this article.

Aside from the monetary contributions, many people around the world resonated with John’s story and left messages for the retiree.

‘Happy retirement, John! Wishing you all the best, and I hope you enjoy your well-deserved free time!’ One person wrote.

Another stated: ‘This was a wonderful story—I wanted John to know he had supporters from all around the world (Sydney, Australia)’

‘Your hard work and dedication is an inspiration, John! We need more like you in the world. All the best to you from New York City!’ A third person said.

A fourth person left this message: ‘Hi John, my name is Sophie, from New Zealand. I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and generosity over the years. Happy retirement!’

To donate for John’s retirement, you can visit the GoFundMe page here.

Based on Sonia’s latest update, they plan to inform and give the proceeds of the fund to John as soon as they receive his communication. As of writing, John hasn’t received the funds yet.

If you want to be updated on this story, you can visit Sonia’s social media here.

Key Takeaways
  • John, who retired after 42 years of service, received a BBQ and a certificate for his send-off from an unnamed company.
  • A co-worker, Sonia, shared a video of the occasion on social media, expressing upset that his work was not adequately recognised.
  • The video stimulated a strong response online, leading to a GoFundMe being set up to provide John with a better retirement gift.
  • The campaign has so far raised nearly $32,000, attracting supporters from around the world who were moved by John's dedication and work ethic.

We at the SDC wish John a happy retirement! We hope loyal and hard workers like him are properly recognised for their service and work ethic.

What do you think of John’s send-off, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored
Agreed. 100%. Was just talking to my wife about this. The company owes NOTHING. Your services have been paid for by way of a weekly income, a job that needs to be appreciated that you have a job at all in life to live. If by chance the company owners want to give a gift of appreciation it is up to them. As previously read, he will have had a superannuation (decreed by law) that companies have to pay toward anyways, he will now be entitled to a retirement plan (again decreed by law). For all anyone know, he may have put aside his own money towards his own retirement plan, and he could be filthy rich. And someone suggests a GoFundMe page? I don't think so. If he is broke by the time he retires, it would be poor financial management on his part. Only fellow employees 'might' take up a collection for him as a farewell gift. Reality check.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
I believe that the go fund me should now cease, $32,,000 is more than enough, and definitely more than one would expect even from a company.
To still be asking for funds is now just plain greed.
Just how much are they trying to raise?
The person is 70..let him now receive it so he can truely start enjoying his retirement.
in saying that I wish this person a happy retirement.
It should never have been started.

Big business maybe Veggiepatch, but not all small businesses.
I kept my small business going for about two years longer than I should have, drawing a wage smaller than my workers, working twice as long myself to save an extra wage and drawing off my meagre savings to try and keep my workers in a job. Some of whom were single mothers like myself.
When I finally gave up my workers were busy bad mouthing me to anyone who would listen because they were out of a job, and yet they were aware that I was struggling.
I once discovered that there had been an increase in their wages that I was not aware of, I told them and paid them all the six weeks I had missed and then I hear later that some of them were saying, how did they know if it was only 6 weeks, it could have been more. Really,!! If I had just paid them the raise from that date they would have been none the wiser.
I would never employ anybody ever again. Out of my 12 employees there were only two that were genuinely good employees.
The rest of them came to work, did just as much work as they felt they needed to, turned up late, took extended teabreaks, lunches etc,
even though I gave them an afternoon tea break that wasn't in their award. My poor floor lady was always having to be on their case about something.
It's a pity they hadn't realized that if they had genuinely pulled their weight they may have retained their jobs and I could have kept going.
Not all bosses are lousy. In fact, zI was too easy going and I paid the price.
Due to lack of detail in the article, we don't know the company, big or small, what city or even what country it is in!

EDIT: Did he receive an actual BBQ in a box or just a gathering of workmates and possibly management? That's not even made certain.

Last edited:
John, I can understand you feeling unappreciated - I genuinely sympathize with you,
However, unknowingly, you already have the best gift of all and (unbelievably) through your job.
Wishing you a wonderful retirement with true loyalty and true friendship - Sonia!

Reactions: Macarj
When I retired after 40 plus years my colleagues chipped in to buy something and took me out to dinner I worked for BHP that became Bluescope steel the company gave me a gold watch after 25 years service and after 35 years service a blazer high quality with company insignia I think on retirement it is your colleagues who look after you

Reactions: Veggiepatch
Businesses are run for the benefit of the owners and shareholders, nobody else. Their attitude is "just think yourself lucky you have a job".

This is why the gap between the "haves" and the "have nots" is increasing at an alarming rate.
Who keeps writing that silly Author Unknown quote?

I personally feel that everyday loyalty and hard work over a period of four decades to a company where surely, he had helped grow and prosper, that something even a good cheap watch in a case at least shows a bit of reciprocal effort. Nothing extravagant just something to show that his efforts to the company meant something. The other workers could likewise have a diminished respect for their employer after that.

I know of a builder who gave his team $20.00 gift cards each for Christmas and no barbecue. Surely a barbecue a few beers is called for at the end of the year. Most definitely their attention to detail, work ethic and general workplace appreciation, spiraled markedly after that.

Then again right up until the day he passed my father (rip) never wrote more than love dad x and put ten dollars inside a card for my birthday or Christmas, right up until the day he passed, regardless of what I purchased or created over a matter of weeks. He never did appreciate the value of gift giving, some people are just mingy, I guess.
So sorry you do not have better memories of your Father.

Due to lack of detail in the article, we don't know the company, big or small, what city or even what country it is in!

EDIT: Did he receive an actual BBQ in a box or just a gathering of workmates and possibly management? That's not even made certain.
That's what I originally thought, that they gave him an actual BBQin a box.
Who knows??? As you said not much detail. The guy should be rolling in it, no wife, no kids.
That being said, my own father, who disappeared when I was five, had a gambling addiction, paid my mother no maintenance. My stepfather paid for my wedding, my brothers uni education and everything else along the way, an extremely generous man.
When my father passed away, I hadn't heard from for 53 years, his brother contacted me and my brother to pay for his funeral
Where had he been our whole lives, we paid nothing, exactly what he'd given to us. He was stone motherless broke, had no other children, wife etc so you never can tell..

We often hear stories of hard-working individuals who finally choose to start their well-deserved retirement after giving decades of their lives in service of their respective industries.

Well, in an ideal world, they’re supposed to receive a well-planned celebration. However, it seems that a man’s recent story about retirement has taken quite a detour from this ideal scenario.

This is the story of John, now in his 70s, who was ‘rewarded’ for his service to an unnamed company with a BBQ and a certificate.

After spending 42 long years clocking in on time, putting in his hours and enduring a 40-minute commute each way, the older employee finished his journey at his company with what can be mildly stated as a 'less-than-ideal' farewell.

View attachment 31394
John retired from his company after 42 years and received a BBQ and a certificate. Credit: @m3nta11y1ll1/TikTok

The event was met with disapproval and disappointment from many of his colleagues, many of whom have also worked there for over 30 years.

Sonia, one of John's coworkers, found this lacklustre send-off deeply unjust. She decided to make a public callout and used the power of social media to highlight the spirit of John's service and the hollow token of appreciation his company gave him.

In a now-deleted video, Sonia showed John’s last day at work, saying: 'Today is my co-worker's last day. He worked for this company for 42 years making minimum wage.’

She continued, 'He loves working here so much he didn’t want to retire. [He got] No bonus, just a barbecue and a certificate. Don’t be a slave to your job. Thank you, John, for your loyalty.'

The video garnered the interest of thousands of social media users, igniting a wave of empathy, anger, and surprise online. Most of them voiced their sentiments and rallied to help John feel appreciated.

View attachment 31395
Sonia, John’s co-worker, posted a video on social media on his last day of work. Credit: @m3nta11y1ll1/TikTok

Sonia was quick to action, setting up a GoFundMe to raise funds and give John ‘a little something for a better retirement’.

The fundraiser's description read: ‘Rain or shine, he will make it to work! Extremely dependable! It doesn’t matter how much we would suggest to take his [holiday] days, he would still want to work!’

It continued: ‘He has no wife or kids however, he does have a nephew he loves dearly. It would be nice to give him some kind of company or something to do so he knows he’s special and loved.’

In just a few days, the funds raised had swiftly crossed John's retirement fund, amounting to almost $32,000 at the time of writing this article.

Aside from the monetary contributions, many people around the world resonated with John’s story and left messages for the retiree.

‘Happy retirement, John! Wishing you all the best, and I hope you enjoy your well-deserved free time!’ One person wrote.

Another stated: ‘This was a wonderful story—I wanted John to know he had supporters from all around the world (Sydney, Australia)’

‘Your hard work and dedication is an inspiration, John! We need more like you in the world. All the best to you from New York City!’ A third person said.

A fourth person left this message: ‘Hi John, my name is Sophie, from New Zealand. I just wanted to say thank you for all your hard work and generosity over the years. Happy retirement!’

Based on Sonia’s latest update, they plan to inform and give the proceeds of the fund to John as soon as they receive his communication. As of writing, John hasn’t received the funds yet.

If you want to be updated on this story, you can visit Sonia’s social media here.

Key Takeaways

• John, who retired after 42 years of service, received a BBQ and a certificate for his send-off from an unnamed company.
  • A co-worker, Sonia, shared a video of the occasion on social media, expressing upset that his work was not adequately recognised.
  • The video stimulated a strong response online, leading to a GoFundMe being set up to provide John with a better retirement gift.
  • The campaign has so far raised nearly $32,000, attracting supporters from around the world who were moved by John's dedication and work ethic.

We at the SDC wish John a happy retirement! We hope loyal and hard workers like him are properly recognised for their service and work ethic.

What do you think of John’s send-off, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
I don't know what he's complaining about, I mean he received a barbecue and a certificate.....all I got after 43 years was a hand shake and a good bye....

View attachment 31394

View attachment 31395

Key Takeaways

The days of rewarding loyalty with a gold watch are long gone, you'll be lucky if can watch the boss and his secretary!!!

Not many people these days would reach a milestone of 42 years at the one job. Congratulations John and enjoy your retirement. Unfortunately we are all just numbers on the payroll and can be replaced very easily.

Reactions: Observer
I think his firm was so lousy. He should have been given a bonus. But I will not donate to any Gofundme!!!! It is a business & they keep a percentage of the donations. You are better to open a bank account in the persons name, that way they receive ALL the money.
Hard enough to open a bank account in your own name nowadays, let alone in anyone else's! In fact I'd say it was impossible.

View attachment 31394

View attachment 31395

Key Takeaways

CEO's, bankers and parliamentarians etc get bonuses for just working a couple of years but lowly jo blo worker gets shoved! You are only a number in any organization so don't be loyal, just work get your pay and don't care about your employer.

View attachment 31394

View attachment 31395

Key Takeaways

Lucky man got more than my husband. He had 37 years with the same small family business, saved them in all sorts of ways, made them lots of money. His reward ...NOTHING!! Another employee left after 15 years and was taken out for a slap up dinner. Go figure. Still makes me very ngry.

• Wow
That'll never happen to todays young, half of them don't want to work and the other half wont have any jobs to go too.
Very true.....people are not dedicated these days and some young people are happy to sit at home playing video games and collect their Dole payment each fortnight !
What sort of a future is that ?????

Very true.....people are not dedicated these days and some young people are happy to sit at home playing video games and collect their Dole payment each fortnight !
What sort of a future is that ?????
Not to mention that they are living longer than ever at home because they know it is cheap living for them.

Not to mention that they are living longer than ever at home because they know it is cheap living for them.
I wouldn't have minded my kids staying at home longer, if they were trying to save up for a home.
I have friend though who is living on the pension and her lazy son, around 48 years old, still lives at home, pays for nothing, contributes no help around the place and she complains she can't get rid of him.
She keeps saying he's useless, etc., my answer is that she is enabling him.
I would wait till I knew he was going out and have somebody change the locks and leave his things in the doorstep.

I think his firm was so lousy. He should have been given a bonus. But I will not donate to any Gofundme!!!! It is a business & they keep a percentage of the donations. You are better to open a bank account in the persons name, that way they receive ALL the money.
The GoFundMe page keeps a fair bit of money, I think it is 22%. Money raised for a fire victim I knew came up at being a very good sum, but when paid into their account it didn't tally up. On questioning GOFUNDME they told of all the expenses of managing the account. Get an account in his name and put ALL proceeds into his account. People need to keep away from the GOFUNDME site