Common recycling act sparks debate on social media

The rising cost of living in Australia is causing financial stress for many people.

So, to make extra money, some are resorting to rather unconventional methods—and one of which has caused controversy within an Inner West Sydney community.

One resident recently expressed her frustration on social media, saying she noticed people digging through her recycling bin in search of cans and bottles to collect for money.

In her post, she condemned this behaviour, saying, 'I think it is pretty wrong. Please stop.'

This post quickly triggered a debate among her fellow community members, showing the conflicting opinions regarding this practice.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.18.39 PM.png
A local from Sydney's Inner West has taken to a Facebook group to complain about people rummaging through her recycling. Credit: Shutterstock.

In New South Wales, you can get a 10-cent refund for eligible drink containers—such as cans (e.g., soft drinks), bottles (e.g., beer bottles), cartons, juice boxes, or poppers—through the Return and Earn scheme. Since its launch in 2017, this initiative has paid out over $900 million to recyclers across the state.

Considering that the average household generates about 4 kilograms of recyclables each week, diligently collecting and returning these items could potentially earn you an extra $20 per month.

However, there has been a mixed response from people commenting on the social media post. Many are highlighting that the real concern is not the act of searching through bins—but rather the issue of trespassing.

As one resident argued, 'No one has the right to enter your property for any reason.'

Some have hit back at the woman, saying she lacked empathy, particularly given the challenging circumstances some Aussies face.

'This isn't an inconvenience; it's an example of how hard life is for people,' stated one user.

Another comment criticised the original post as being 'entitled', suggesting that those rummaging through the bins likely have compelling reasons for doing so.

'If someone didn't desperately need your bottles, they wouldn't be doing this,' they added.

But the issue that upset most people the most was the way these people were handling the bins, which homeowners found to be quite unappealing.

Many locals were frustrated because they observed that these individuals were taking things from their bins without cleaning up afterwards. For instance, they would remove cardboard from the bin to access what they wanted, but they wouldn't put it back in place.

'By trespassing, waking people, leaving a mess and being rude, it sets off a lot of anger in the community,' said one local.

Given the significant value associated with these containers and the fact that many individuals save them either for charitable donations or as a supplementary source of income, there is a growing debate about the legality of taking bottles from people's property without permission.

One person shared their frustration in a discussion: 'Someone unlocked my gate and came into my porch and stole crates worth that I was saving up for veterans' charities.'

1696484504536.png

Another resident who collects bottles and cans as a side job added, 'People just come in and take [other people's] collection—right off the porch or even from the backyard. I would say [it's] theft if it is something the property owner clearly has set up for themselves (not in the rubbish bin).'

In a recent incident last month, a resident in Mount Druitt, located in Sydney's western suburbs, reported that a year's supply of water bottles, which their grandmother had been saving, was allegedly 'stolen' from inside their front gate.

Key Takeaways

• A member of an Inner West Facebook group expressed her anger towards people taking cans and bottles from her recycling bin to make cash.
  • Her Facebook post ignited a debate among locals, with some voicing concern over the trespassing while others accused her of a lack of empathy.
  • A 10-cent refund applies to eligible drink containers returned in NSW, with an average household making around $20 a month from recyclables.
  • Some argued that taking bottles from people's property for monetary value is illegal, citing collections being stolen from porches and backyards.

As financial stress continues to affect more and more Aussies, is it understandable for people to search for cans and bottles in others' bins? Or does looking through private bins cross an ethical line, regardless of intent?

Members, we'd also like to ask: if a person comes onto your property to take your recycling, is it stealing? Have you ever spotted someone rummaging through your bins? How did it make you feel? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The rising cost of living in Australia is causing financial stress for many people.

So, to make extra money, some are resorting to rather unconventional methods—and one of which has caused controversy within an Inner West Sydney community.

One resident recently expressed her frustration on social media, saying she noticed people digging through her recycling bin in search of cans and bottles to collect for money.

In her post, she condemned this behaviour, saying, 'I think it is pretty wrong. Please stop.'

This post quickly triggered a debate among her fellow community members, showing the conflicting opinions regarding this practice.

View attachment 31483
A local from Sydney's Inner West has taken to a Facebook group to complain about people rummaging through her recycling. Credit: Shutterstock.

In New South Wales, you can get a 10-cent refund for eligible drink containers—such as cans (e.g., soft drinks), bottles (e.g., beer bottles), cartons, juice boxes, or poppers—through the Return and Earn scheme. Since its launch in 2017, this initiative has paid out over $900 million to recyclers across the state.

Considering that the average household generates about 4 kilograms of recyclables each week, diligently collecting and returning these items could potentially earn you an extra $20 per month.

However, there has been a mixed response from people commenting on the social media post. Many are highlighting that the real concern is not the act of searching through bins—but rather the issue of trespassing.

As one resident argued, 'No one has the right to enter your property for any reason.'

Some have hit back at the woman, saying she lacked empathy, particularly given the challenging circumstances some Aussies face.

'This isn't an inconvenience; it's an example of how hard life is for people,' stated one user.

Another comment criticised the original post as being 'entitled', suggesting that those rummaging through the bins likely have compelling reasons for doing so.

'If someone didn't desperately need your bottles, they wouldn't be doing this,' they added.

But the issue that upset most people the most was the way these people were handling the bins, which homeowners found to be quite unappealing.

Many locals were frustrated because they observed that these individuals were taking things from their bins without cleaning up afterwards. For instance, they would remove cardboard from the bin to access what they wanted, but they wouldn't put it back in place.

'By trespassing, waking people, leaving a mess and being rude, it sets off a lot of anger in the community,' said one local.

Given the significant value associated with these containers and the fact that many individuals save them either for charitable donations or as a supplementary source of income, there is a growing debate about the legality of taking bottles from people's property without permission.

One person shared their frustration in a discussion: 'Someone unlocked my gate and came into my porch and stole crates worth that I was saving up for veterans' charities.'

Another resident who collects bottles and cans as a side job added, 'People just come in and take [other people's] collection—right off the porch or even from the backyard. I would say [it's] theft if it is something the property owner clearly has set up for themselves (not in the rubbish bin).'

In a recent incident last month, a resident in Mount Druitt, located in Sydney's western suburbs, reported that a year's supply of water bottles, which their grandmother had been saving, was allegedly 'stolen' from inside their front gate.

Key Takeaways

• A member of an Inner West Facebook group expressed her anger towards people taking cans and bottles from her recycling bin to make cash.
  • Her Facebook post ignited a debate among locals, with some voicing concern over the trespassing while others accused her of a lack of empathy.
  • A 10-cent refund applies to eligible drink containers returned in NSW, with an average household making around $20 a month from recyclables.
  • Some argued that taking bottles from people's property for monetary value is illegal, citing collections being stolen from porches and backyards.

As financial stress continues to affect more and more Aussies, is it understandable for people to search for cans and bottles in others' bins? Or does looking through private bins cross an ethical line, regardless of intent?

Members, we'd also like to ask: if a person comes onto your property to take your recycling, is it stealing? Have you ever spotted someone rummaging through your bins? How did it make you feel? Share your experiences in the comments below.
Not illegal if the bins are outside the premises not on the person's land. I don't think it's a bad thing at all. Why anyway don't these people recycle their - well - recyclables by taking them to a recycling centre instead of dumping them in the bin?

View attachment 31483

Key Takeaways

if someone comes on your PROPERTY and takes anything(including cuttings off your plants)irrespective of value it is STEALING and trespass...on the footpath?...dont know so much regarding the footpaths guess it is public property and legally belongs to the council

View attachment 31483

Key Takeaways

Put a padlock on ur bins. I had to for a while to stop people dumping their rubbish/ recycling in my bins and leaving no space for my own waste.

While I save mine and keep them inside, I wash everything except water bottles out with a dash of water, I know people who do put them in boxes or bags and leave them out next to their garbage for anyone to take. The money I collect from recycling them I save up and divide between my grandchildren every Christmas holidays. It gives them some spending money.

The bin is the property of the Council, not of the individual. Once the bin is kerbside, the resident has no legal rights to it or its contents.
So you're saying that it then becomes the resident's task to clean up the mess left by the rummagers.

If you have bottles or cans etc and you know your bins are being searched why not put them in a box at the side of your bins
Why is the onus on the resident?

It should be the rummagers who puts back items s/hi e has taken out to get to the bottles/cans.

Garbos back in the 1960s and 70s were a wild bunch!
Have read some of your posts before Veggiepatch! - seem a lot of them are ‘tongue in cheek’ so here I go also. Hope those early ‘garbos’, as they were called then, did not take some home for their own use! YUK.

• Haha
Reactions: Veggiepatch
Have read some of your posts before Veggiepatch! - seem a lot of them are ‘tongue in cheek’ so here I go also. Hope those early ‘garbos’, as they were called then, did not take some home for their own use! YUK.
No🙀they probably ate on the job😹

• Sad
Reactions: Veggiepatch