Common recycling act sparks debate on social media

The rising cost of living in Australia is causing financial stress for many people.

So, to make extra money, some are resorting to rather unconventional methods—and one of which has caused controversy within an Inner West Sydney community.

One resident recently expressed her frustration on social media, saying she noticed people digging through her recycling bin in search of cans and bottles to collect for money.

In her post, she condemned this behaviour, saying, 'I think it is pretty wrong. Please stop.'

This post quickly triggered a debate among her fellow community members, showing the conflicting opinions regarding this practice.

Screenshot 2023-10-05 at 12.18.39 PM.png
A local from Sydney's Inner West has taken to a Facebook group to complain about people rummaging through her recycling. Credit: Shutterstock.

In New South Wales, you can get a 10-cent refund for eligible drink containers—such as cans (e.g., soft drinks), bottles (e.g., beer bottles), cartons, juice boxes, or poppers—through the Return and Earn scheme. Since its launch in 2017, this initiative has paid out over $900 million to recyclers across the state.

Considering that the average household generates about 4 kilograms of recyclables each week, diligently collecting and returning these items could potentially earn you an extra $20 per month.

However, there has been a mixed response from people commenting on the social media post. Many are highlighting that the real concern is not the act of searching through bins—but rather the issue of trespassing.

As one resident argued, 'No one has the right to enter your property for any reason.'

Some have hit back at the woman, saying she lacked empathy, particularly given the challenging circumstances some Aussies face.

'This isn't an inconvenience; it's an example of how hard life is for people,' stated one user.

Another comment criticised the original post as being 'entitled', suggesting that those rummaging through the bins likely have compelling reasons for doing so.

'If someone didn't desperately need your bottles, they wouldn't be doing this,' they added.

But the issue that upset most people the most was the way these people were handling the bins, which homeowners found to be quite unappealing.

Many locals were frustrated because they observed that these individuals were taking things from their bins without cleaning up afterwards. For instance, they would remove cardboard from the bin to access what they wanted, but they wouldn't put it back in place.

'By trespassing, waking people, leaving a mess and being rude, it sets off a lot of anger in the community,' said one local.

Given the significant value associated with these containers and the fact that many individuals save them either for charitable donations or as a supplementary source of income, there is a growing debate about the legality of taking bottles from people's property without permission.

One person shared their frustration in a discussion: 'Someone unlocked my gate and came into my porch and stole crates worth that I was saving up for veterans' charities.'

1696484504536.png

Another resident who collects bottles and cans as a side job added, 'People just come in and take [other people's] collection—right off the porch or even from the backyard. I would say [it's] theft if it is something the property owner clearly has set up for themselves (not in the rubbish bin).'

In a recent incident last month, a resident in Mount Druitt, located in Sydney's western suburbs, reported that a year's supply of water bottles, which their grandmother had been saving, was allegedly 'stolen' from inside their front gate.

Key Takeaways

• A member of an Inner West Facebook group expressed her anger towards people taking cans and bottles from her recycling bin to make cash.
  • Her Facebook post ignited a debate among locals, with some voicing concern over the trespassing while others accused her of a lack of empathy.
  • A 10-cent refund applies to eligible drink containers returned in NSW, with an average household making around $20 a month from recyclables.
  • Some argued that taking bottles from people's property for monetary value is illegal, citing collections being stolen from porches and backyards.

As financial stress continues to affect more and more Aussies, is it understandable for people to search for cans and bottles in others' bins? Or does looking through private bins cross an ethical line, regardless of intent?

Members, we'd also like to ask: if a person comes onto your property to take your recycling, is it stealing? Have you ever spotted someone rummaging through your bins? How did it make you feel? Share your experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The whole business of the $0.10 return is a farce.
think of the cost of running the show:
Warehouse lease
Capital outlay of 4 sorting machines
10 staff to run the show
3 forklifts
4 skip bins
WHO PAYS FOR THAT.....
give me a break. then there is your time and cost of storage and transport plus waiting time, plus cost of petrol...... I could go on and on about this farce.....
Well you are going on and on

Reactions: Littleboy8
According to the Dubbo Regional Council website:-

"The 3 bin domestic waste service charge is proposed to increase by $15.90 per annum. This increase means that the annual charge for the service is equivalent to $8.57 a week.

This increase is for the collection of a weekly 140L general waste bin, a fortnightly 240L co-mingle recycling bin and a weekly 240L food organics and garden organics bin.

Council provides Domestic Waste Management Services to all residential properties located within the urban and outer areas. The services offered across the collection area are the 2 bin or the 3 bin Domestic Waste Management Service."

Ummm.....

Here's the charges for Dubbo Regional Council:-

"Per Service, per annum for the three (3) bin service including weekly food and garden waste, weekly garbage and fortnightly recycling. (Services for part year charged on pro-rata basis) $445.40."

Nothing about buying the bins unless they are factored into the domestic waste collection fee. Dunno.

The rising cost of living in Australia is causing financial stress for many people.

So, to make extra money, some are resorting to rather unconventional methods—and one of which has caused controversy within an Inner West Sydney community.

One resident recently expressed her frustration on social media, saying she noticed people digging through her recycling bin in search of cans and bottles to collect for money.

In her post, she condemned this behaviour, saying, 'I think it is pretty wrong. Please stop.'

This post quickly triggered a debate among her fellow community members, showing the conflicting opinions regarding this practice.

View attachment 31483
A local from Sydney's Inner West has taken to a Facebook group to complain about people rummaging through her recycling. Credit: Shutterstock.

In New South Wales, you can get a 10-cent refund for eligible drink containers—such as cans (e.g., soft drinks), bottles (e.g., beer bottles), cartons, juice boxes, or poppers—through the Return and Earn scheme. Since its launch in 2017, this initiative has paid out over $900 million to recyclers across the state.

Considering that the average household generates about 4 kilograms of recyclables each week, diligently collecting and returning these items could potentially earn you an extra $20 per month.

However, there has been a mixed response from people commenting on the social media post. Many are highlighting that the real concern is not the act of searching through bins—but rather the issue of trespassing.

As one resident argued, 'No one has the right to enter your property for any reason.'

Some have hit back at the woman, saying she lacked empathy, particularly given the challenging circumstances some Aussies face.

'This isn't an inconvenience; it's an example of how hard life is for people,' stated one user.

Another comment criticised the original post as being 'entitled', suggesting that those rummaging through the bins likely have compelling reasons for doing so.

'If someone didn't desperately need your bottles, they wouldn't be doing this,' they added.

But the issue that upset most people the most was the way these people were handling the bins, which homeowners found to be quite unappealing.

Many locals were frustrated because they observed that these individuals were taking things from their bins without cleaning up afterwards. For instance, they would remove cardboard from the bin to access what they wanted, but they wouldn't put it back in place.

'By trespassing, waking people, leaving a mess and being rude, it sets off a lot of anger in the community,' said one local.

Given the significant value associated with these containers and the fact that many individuals save them either for charitable donations or as a supplementary source of income, there is a growing debate about the legality of taking bottles from people's property without permission.

One person shared their frustration in a discussion: 'Someone unlocked my gate and came into my porch and stole crates worth that I was saving up for veterans' charities.'

Another resident who collects bottles and cans as a side job added, 'People just come in and take [other people's] collection—right off the porch or even from the backyard. I would say [it's] theft if it is something the property owner clearly has set up for themselves (not in the rubbish bin).'

In a recent incident last month, a resident in Mount Druitt, located in Sydney's western suburbs, reported that a year's supply of water bottles, which their grandmother had been saving, was allegedly 'stolen' from inside their front gate.

Key Takeaways

• A member of an Inner West Facebook group expressed her anger towards people taking cans and bottles from her recycling bin to make cash.
  • Her Facebook post ignited a debate among locals, with some voicing concern over the trespassing while others accused her of a lack of empathy.
  • A 10-cent refund applies to eligible drink containers returned in NSW, with an average household making around $20 a month from recyclables.
  • Some argued that taking bottles from people's property for monetary value is illegal, citing collections being stolen from porches and backyards.

As financial stress continues to affect more and more Aussies, is it understandable for people to search for cans and bottles in others' bins? Or does looking through private bins cross an ethical line, regardless of intent?

Members, we'd also like to ask: if a person comes onto your property to take your recycling, is it stealing? Have you ever spotted someone rummaging through your bins? How did it make you feel? Share your experiences in the comments below.
That's their problem if they want to GIVE the council more money (the council would be collecting any they could find in recycling bin loads) - here the council rips people off (and don't do a whole lot for it at all) - we live in probably the most expensive rates area in qld and still only have a green general waste bin and a yellow top recycling bin and have to take the bottles/cans to the collection points ourselves - no fancy trucks come around to pick up or for self service deposits like other areas.
So we don't like to give the rip off council 'free money' by giving them cans/bottles.

I had 2 low bins that I have next to pots, soil bags etc. that I would put my cans in. 10 + years. And what I get buys a bag of cat litter or other things for pets. They cannot be seen from the street as there is a retaining rock wall and shrubs. To even know they are there they have had to come down my steep drive on the opposite side and into the carport and in front of my car which is parallel with the road, in front of my bedroom. They took one, leaving the lid behind after unscrewing it. It was about 5am in the dark still but not dark enough for lights sensors to turn on. I heard a noise and turned on my light. They obviously ran in a panic leaving the bigger of the two. I put the other bin and took it around to the back (which is not as convenient as to where it had been.)
Only 2 or 3 days later I had an 8 or 9 year old boy with his mother come in asking for any collection of cans as he was saving for something. I said well no as mine were stolen.
If one takes the trouble to keep them separate from general council bins then they are ours and may have them earmarked for something else. I was shocked.
Just because someone is doing it tough doesn't mean to say that those they steal from is in a better situation tham what they are in.

They were hard workers too.
We were one of the customers who used to leave them a 6 pack at Christmas. Don't do it today though. I don't think the automatic claw/pick up would care.
We also left beer but only because my sisters boyfriend was a garbologist😁

• Love
Reactions: MariaG