Coles vs Woolies: Who has the best hot roast chooks?

A delicious, hot roast chook isn't just a mouth-watering and convenient meal option—it can also be a fantastic way to make our dollars go further. After enjoying a delightful roast dinner with some vegetables, the leftovers can be ingeniously repurposed into sandwiches or salads for the following day.

And we're often spoilt for choice with plenty of supermarkets, such as Coles and Woolworths, offering hot roast chooks at their delis.

That being said, have you ever wondered which supermarket chain offers the best hot roast chicken? One curious Australian shopper and social media content creator, Ben, decided to put this question to the test in a video that has now grabbed hundreds and thousands of views.

Shifting from his usual focus on reviewing beers, Ben took on the challenge of pitting Woolworths and Coles against one another to determine the ultimate purveyor of hot chook goodness.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 2.57.01 PM.png
The video's goal was to determine, once and for all, which supermarket reigned supreme in delectable hot roast chooks. Credit: TikTok/crafternoons_in_.

In true fairness, Ben purchased roast chickens from both stores with time-stamped labels as close as possible. He even highlighted how Coles' chicken was pulled out of the oven, into the bag, zipped up and given to him. 'Perfect drop off,' he added.

However, Ben also thought the Woolies chicken felt fresh, levelling the playing field.

The method of his taste test involved trying different parts from each chicken, which included the breast, skin, drumstick, and, lastly, the stuffing.

Beginning with the Coles chook, Ben seemed content, saying it was 'okay'. Moving on to the Woolies chicken shortly after, he remarked, 'I've got to say this looks better.'

Ultimately, Ben decided after considering various factors such as warmth, freshness, tenderness, juiciness, and seasoning. He declared Woolies the winner of the best hot chook.

Naturally, this verdict stirred up a heated discussion among viewers, with many voicing their opinions on the great Coles vs Woolies hot chook debate.

Some agreed with Ben and labelled Woolies as the superior roast chicken provider. However, not everyone was convinced, with others expressing their preferences and loyalty to Coles instead.

Despite the mixed opinions, Woolworths gladly accepted their 'winner, winner, chicken dinner' title, as a spokesperson said, 'We know our hot roast chickens are loved by our customers, and we're always looking at ways to keep this affordable and convenient choice... a top buy from our stores.'

Coles, on the other hand, didn't concede defeat, standing by the quality of their RSPCA Approved Hot Roast Chickens. A spokesperson highlighted the loyal following that Coles hot chooks boast and pointed to their innovative flavour combinations.

'All Coles hot roast chooks are 100% Aussie RSPCA-approved and roasted in-store daily for a convenient grab-and-go meal option,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• Ben, a content creator on social media, decided to judge two roast chickens—one from Woolworths and one from Coles—to see which supermarket had the better hot roast chook.
  • Both chooks were priced the same at $12, and Ben evaluated factors like warmth, freshness, tenderness, succulency, and seasoning.
  • The conclusion was that Woolworths does a better hot chook, but comments on social media were divided about the winner.
  • Woolworths and Coles stand by the quality of their roast chickens and continue innovating new flavour combinations.

Members, we want to know your opinion: who gets your vote for the hottest chook in town? Are you team Woolies, the undisputed champion of this taste-off? Or are you firmly standing by Coles and its delicious chicken offerings? We're eager to hear your thoughts, so feel free to share them in the comments section below!

Sponsored
I read an article recently in Seniordiscountclub that shoppers were outraged at the recent price of hot chickens and the reduced size from Woolworths. I put it to the test and sure enough the observations were right. The chicken was so small it was a joke. I have since purchased a couple from Coles and I have not experienced any shrinkage in size.

I cook my own chickens now but when working in the city 2 years ago , I would often buy cooked chickens and then either steam vegies or make salads.

Depending what station I went to if I went to Wynyard it was coles if I went to Town hall it was woolworths and my family knew where it was from and they preferred by far the Coles chickens

A delicious, hot roast chook isn't just a mouth-watering and convenient meal option—it can also be a fantastic way to make our dollars go further. After enjoying a delightful roast dinner with some vegetables, the leftovers can be ingeniously repurposed into sandwiches or salads for the following day.

And we're often spoilt for choice with plenty of supermarkets, such as Coles and Woolworths, offering hot roast chooks at their delis.

That being said, have you ever wondered which supermarket chain offers the best hot roast chicken? One curious Australian shopper and social media content creator, Ben, decided to put this question to the test in a video that has now grabbed hundreds and thousands of views.

Shifting from his usual focus on reviewing beers, Ben took on the challenge of pitting Woolworths and Coles against one another to determine the ultimate purveyor of hot chook goodness.

View attachment 22849
The video's goal was to determine, once and for all, which supermarket reigned supreme in delectable hot roast chooks. Credit: TikTok/crafternoons_in_.

In true fairness, Ben purchased roast chickens from both stores with time-stamped labels as close as possible. He even highlighted how Coles' chicken was pulled out of the oven, into the bag, zipped up and given to him. 'Perfect drop off,' he added.

However, Ben also thought the Woolies chicken felt fresh, levelling the playing field.

The method of his taste test involved trying different parts from each chicken, which included the breast, skin, drumstick, and, lastly, the stuffing.

Beginning with the Coles chook, Ben seemed content, saying it was 'okay'. Moving on to the Woolies chicken shortly after, he remarked, 'I've got to say this looks better.'

Ultimately, Ben decided after considering various factors such as warmth, freshness, tenderness, juiciness, and seasoning. He declared Woolies the winner of the best hot chook.

Naturally, this verdict stirred up a heated discussion among viewers, with many voicing their opinions on the great Coles vs Woolies hot chook debate.

Some agreed with Ben and labelled Woolies as the superior roast chicken provider. However, not everyone was convinced, with others expressing their preferences and loyalty to Coles instead.

Despite the mixed opinions, Woolworths gladly accepted their 'winner, winner, chicken dinner' title, as a spokesperson said, 'We know our hot roast chickens are loved by our customers, and we're always looking at ways to keep this affordable and convenient choice... a top buy from our stores.'

Coles, on the other hand, didn't concede defeat, standing by the quality of their RSPCA Approved Hot Roast Chickens. A spokesperson highlighted the loyal following that Coles hot chooks boast and pointed to their innovative flavour combinations.

'All Coles hot roast chooks are 100% Aussie RSPCA-approved and roasted in-store daily for a convenient grab-and-go meal option,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• Ben, a content creator on social media, decided to judge two roast chickens—one from Woolworths and one from Coles—to see which supermarket had the better hot roast chook.
  • Both chooks were priced the same at $12, and Ben evaluated factors like warmth, freshness, tenderness, succulency, and seasoning.
  • The conclusion was that Woolworths does a better hot chook, but comments on social media were divided about the winner.
  • Woolworths and Coles stand by the quality of their roast chickens and continue innovating new flavour combinations.

Members, we want to know your opinion: who gets your vote for the hottest chook in town? Are you team Woolies, the undisputed champion of this taste-off? Or are you firmly standing by Coles and its delicious chicken offerings? We're eager to hear your thoughts, so feel free to share them in the comments section below!

depends on the person watching them. Coles have, at my 2 local stores been over cooked, dried shrivel skin and dry flesh the last few weeks. Wollies is usually plumper, but tiny/too young. However Woolies- 3 local stores for me has stock issues and they haven't been available. I've also found bags not fully closed so they have been trying out whilst in the Warner. It takes an aye at that moment to make a choice between them.

Woollies all the way. As I never shop at Coles anyway mainly because of the flavour of the roast chooks it is the yucky stuffing that spoils it. I like a flavour that I can recognise not some weird combination that puts you off eating the chook.

Reactions: Milica and Snoozin

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

I have always preferred Cole’s cooked chooks

I don't buy them, but my mother does. It depends what shop she's at the time for convenience, so Coles or Woolworths. I think she prefers Woolworths.

Since the price hike by both Woolies and Coles I now buy my roast chickens from our local IGA. Not only are they only $9.99 each (or $9.25 for 2), they are tastier, more tender and you can choose the chook you want before they bag it in heat retaining packaging!

I shop at Woolies and Coles. My best choice is Coles Roast chicken. There is always a lot of juice left in the Bag and I pour this juice in a container and immediately freeze it. I add more juice to the container each time I buy a chook. This juice then goes into my home made Chicken soup to give it extra flavour. Win Win. The Wooolies chickens are small for the money and they have very little to no stuffing and not much juice in the bag. I find them dryer than the Coles chicken, When making my chicken soup I prefer to use a larger chicken so Coles wins again, Having said that I do find that the Coles chicken can be a little over cooked at times. But I still prefer them ;-).

Reactions: OldCrone2505
Coles have the best tasting cooked chooks. The stuffing in the Woolworths chooks tastes awful.Have been buying Coles chooks for years and they are the best.

Reactions: Turtledove

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

A 'Pidgeon Off' , I think they should try and get decent chickens and not Pidgeon's.....

I have bought from both and the Coles chicken is better than Woolies also coles put out half and quarter pieces and Woolies

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

100% Coles. The stuffing is delicious whereas I have to throw the Woolies stuffing away. That's a very important factor because when the chook is finished with, I put the carcass and all the bits, including the skin and stuffing, into a pot. I then add whatever vegies I have, a litre of chicken stock, a can of creamed corn and additional corn kernels. Season. Then simmer slowly until all vegies are cooked. Then I remove all the bones (stropped clean of the chicken) and skin.
It's delicious served with fresh, crusty bread.

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

The woolies roast chicken has the better flavour but the stuffing is not great however the coles chicken has the nicer stuffing but blander chicken taste so I buy the woollies one. My friend told me that the Cosco roast chicken at a much cheaper price I might add was the best store bought roast chicken she had ever tasted. I want to try one but not a cosco member. :(

Reactions: Thecheesequeen

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

I've purchased from both and gotten good and bad from both but I must say they're getting smaller at both. I now get mine at my local SPAR store. They're larger, crispier and cheaper. Now I'm hungry for one, might go get one 😋

Reactions: Happymad