Coles vs Woolies: Who has the best hot roast chooks?

A delicious, hot roast chook isn't just a mouth-watering and convenient meal option—it can also be a fantastic way to make our dollars go further. After enjoying a delightful roast dinner with some vegetables, the leftovers can be ingeniously repurposed into sandwiches or salads for the following day.

And we're often spoilt for choice with plenty of supermarkets, such as Coles and Woolworths, offering hot roast chooks at their delis.

That being said, have you ever wondered which supermarket chain offers the best hot roast chicken? One curious Australian shopper and social media content creator, Ben, decided to put this question to the test in a video that has now grabbed hundreds and thousands of views.

Shifting from his usual focus on reviewing beers, Ben took on the challenge of pitting Woolworths and Coles against one another to determine the ultimate purveyor of hot chook goodness.

Screen Shot 2023-06-20 at 2.57.01 PM.png
The video's goal was to determine, once and for all, which supermarket reigned supreme in delectable hot roast chooks. Credit: TikTok/crafternoons_in_.

In true fairness, Ben purchased roast chickens from both stores with time-stamped labels as close as possible. He even highlighted how Coles' chicken was pulled out of the oven, into the bag, zipped up and given to him. 'Perfect drop off,' he added.

However, Ben also thought the Woolies chicken felt fresh, levelling the playing field.

The method of his taste test involved trying different parts from each chicken, which included the breast, skin, drumstick, and, lastly, the stuffing.

Beginning with the Coles chook, Ben seemed content, saying it was 'okay'. Moving on to the Woolies chicken shortly after, he remarked, 'I've got to say this looks better.'

Ultimately, Ben decided after considering various factors such as warmth, freshness, tenderness, juiciness, and seasoning. He declared Woolies the winner of the best hot chook.

Naturally, this verdict stirred up a heated discussion among viewers, with many voicing their opinions on the great Coles vs Woolies hot chook debate.

Some agreed with Ben and labelled Woolies as the superior roast chicken provider. However, not everyone was convinced, with others expressing their preferences and loyalty to Coles instead.

Despite the mixed opinions, Woolworths gladly accepted their 'winner, winner, chicken dinner' title, as a spokesperson said, 'We know our hot roast chickens are loved by our customers, and we're always looking at ways to keep this affordable and convenient choice... a top buy from our stores.'

Coles, on the other hand, didn't concede defeat, standing by the quality of their RSPCA Approved Hot Roast Chickens. A spokesperson highlighted the loyal following that Coles hot chooks boast and pointed to their innovative flavour combinations.

'All Coles hot roast chooks are 100% Aussie RSPCA-approved and roasted in-store daily for a convenient grab-and-go meal option,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• Ben, a content creator on social media, decided to judge two roast chickens—one from Woolworths and one from Coles—to see which supermarket had the better hot roast chook.
  • Both chooks were priced the same at $12, and Ben evaluated factors like warmth, freshness, tenderness, succulency, and seasoning.
  • The conclusion was that Woolworths does a better hot chook, but comments on social media were divided about the winner.
  • Woolworths and Coles stand by the quality of their roast chickens and continue innovating new flavour combinations.

Members, we want to know your opinion: who gets your vote for the hottest chook in town? Are you team Woolies, the undisputed champion of this taste-off? Or are you firmly standing by Coles and its delicious chicken offerings? We're eager to hear your thoughts, so feel free to share them in the comments section below!

Sponsored
A delicious, hot roast chook isn't just a mouth-watering and convenient meal option—it can also be a fantastic way to make our dollars go further. After enjoying a delightful roast dinner with some vegetables, the leftovers can be ingeniously repurposed into sandwiches or salads for the following day.

And we're often spoilt for choice with plenty of supermarkets, such as Coles and Woolworths, offering hot roast chooks at their delis.

That being said, have you ever wondered which supermarket chain offers the best hot roast chicken? One curious Australian shopper and social media content creator, Ben, decided to put this question to the test in a video that has now grabbed hundreds and thousands of views.

Shifting from his usual focus on reviewing beers, Ben took on the challenge of pitting Woolworths and Coles against one another to determine the ultimate purveyor of hot chook goodness.

View attachment 22849
The video's goal was to determine, once and for all, which supermarket reigned supreme in delectable hot roast chooks. Credit: TikTok/crafternoons_in_.

In true fairness, Ben purchased roast chickens from both stores with time-stamped labels as close as possible. He even highlighted how Coles' chicken was pulled out of the oven, into the bag, zipped up and given to him. 'Perfect drop off,' he added.

However, Ben also thought the Woolies chicken felt fresh, levelling the playing field.

The method of his taste test involved trying different parts from each chicken, which included the breast, skin, drumstick, and, lastly, the stuffing.

Beginning with the Coles chook, Ben seemed content, saying it was 'okay'. Moving on to the Woolies chicken shortly after, he remarked, 'I've got to say this looks better.'

Ultimately, Ben decided after considering various factors such as warmth, freshness, tenderness, juiciness, and seasoning. He declared Woolies the winner of the best hot chook.

Naturally, this verdict stirred up a heated discussion among viewers, with many voicing their opinions on the great Coles vs Woolies hot chook debate.

Some agreed with Ben and labelled Woolies as the superior roast chicken provider. However, not everyone was convinced, with others expressing their preferences and loyalty to Coles instead.

Despite the mixed opinions, Woolworths gladly accepted their 'winner, winner, chicken dinner' title, as a spokesperson said, 'We know our hot roast chickens are loved by our customers, and we're always looking at ways to keep this affordable and convenient choice... a top buy from our stores.'

Coles, on the other hand, didn't concede defeat, standing by the quality of their RSPCA Approved Hot Roast Chickens. A spokesperson highlighted the loyal following that Coles hot chooks boast and pointed to their innovative flavour combinations.

'All Coles hot roast chooks are 100% Aussie RSPCA-approved and roasted in-store daily for a convenient grab-and-go meal option,' they said.

Key Takeaways

• Ben, a content creator on social media, decided to judge two roast chickens—one from Woolworths and one from Coles—to see which supermarket had the better hot roast chook.
  • Both chooks were priced the same at $12, and Ben evaluated factors like warmth, freshness, tenderness, succulency, and seasoning.
  • The conclusion was that Woolworths does a better hot chook, but comments on social media were divided about the winner.
  • Woolworths and Coles stand by the quality of their roast chickens and continue innovating new flavour combinations.

Members, we want to know your opinion: who gets your vote for the hottest chook in town? Are you team Woolies, the undisputed champion of this taste-off? Or are you firmly standing by Coles and its delicious chicken offerings? We're eager to hear your thoughts, so feel free to share them in the comments section below!

I've had both in my opinion they are close enough the same would have been a good idea 💡 to weigh them first to see if there was any discrepancie between them 🐔

If I want to buy a roast chicken - which I don't do very often, I buy it at Costco.

And with all the above comments - I'm going to say that taster/trier 'Ben' must have put on a fair bit of weight trying different parts of those two chooks!!!!

I personally don't like the flavouring put into any store bought chicken and have had dried drumsticks from both stores. Breast meat is usually dry also, but that's the nature of breast meat if cooked in a whole chicken. They have to get the rest of the chicken fully cooked so the breast suffers most from overcooking.

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

I always buy the Coles chooks, but their stuffing isn't the best so I don't bother with it. The skin is very tasty and the chicken is always moist.

Since the price hike by both Woolies and Coles I now buy my roast chickens from our local IGA. Not only are they only $9.99 each (or $9.25 for 2), they are tastier, more tender and you can choose the chook you want before they bag it in heat retaining packaging!
I too get chicken from I G A. They have medium and large. Quite often either one is on special on market day. One chook makes 2 meals each for my wife and I.

I prefer the Woollies Chicken, Coles is not as tasty & I don't like the stuffing
But, in saying that, I think alot has to do with the staff that are cooking the chickens, some stores of either Woollies or Coles are better than the other, so it's actually a hard decision to make. But, I must say that out of the Woollies & Coles I usually go to, the Woollies chook is better

I find Woollies chook heave and full of water and don’t like stuffing
Coles has better taste and seems more like home roasted

I shop at Woolies and Coles. My best choice is Coles Roast chicken. There is always a lot of juice left in the Bag and I pour this juice in a container and immediately freeze it. I add more juice to the container each time I buy a chook. This juice then goes into my home made Chicken soup to give it extra flavour. Win Win. The Wooolies chickens are small for the money and they have very little to no stuffing and not much juice in the bag. I find them dryer than the Coles chicken, When making my chicken soup I prefer to use a larger chicken so Coles wins again, Having said that I do find that the Coles chicken can be a little over cooked at times. But I still prefer them ;-).
Don't you also freeze the carcass to make the broth for your soup?

They’re definitely getting smaller! Prefer woolies over coles and iga over both.

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

"Woolworths are the best for cooked chicken - But I buy from Woolworths Fresh Ingham chicken and AirFry - Easy to eat and I add my own flavorings.

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

I do like Woollies chook the best, much juicier 🐓

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

Coles wins hands down. the woollies store here uses some weird orange sprinkle stuff on them before they cook them and it makes them look weird and taste yuck. Coles season the top,cook them and they are really nice - some even fall apart their so tender (which is great). besides woollies is $1 dearer than coles for far less quality.

I have bought both Woollies and Coles hot chooks. Coles get my vote. The stuffing and everything about them is best.

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

Coles!

Sorry guys, we are one of the lucky few, we have multiple choices and ours is Costco. Because honestly if you don't eat the stuffing when it first comes home, it doesn't matter where the chooks come from. People are lined up waiting for chickens at Costco, they are not sitting in the heat trays. And if you are in between batches and really in a rush, you can opt out for the two pork knuckle option.

View attachment 22849

Key Takeaways

can't say anymore since they aren't in home delivery