Coles' skyrocketing prices cause outrage

Australia’s dominant supermarket outlets, Woolworths and Coles, which control a combined 65 per cent of the country’s grocery trade, have recently reported multi-billion dollar profits. Meanwhile, some Aussies are struggling to make ends meet.

Videos posted on social media recently revealed the gap between the profits of the supermarkets and the struggles of everyday Australians. In one clip, a man was outraged when he realised that his small grocery haul cost $91.84–despite purchasing home brand or products on sale at Coles.

The haul included rice, bacon, coffee, carrots, cage-free eggs, soy milk, onions, garlic, carrots, Twiggy sticks, and dog food.

2.jpg
A young Aussie shared his frustration over his bill after doing a ‘tiny’ haul at Coles. Image source: TikTok/@kingkutrone.

'Can someone please explain to me why Australia has gone down the absolute toilet? Because the cost of living at the moment is a joke,' he said.

He went on to say: 'I went to Coles today, not Woolies, right, and everything purchased here is home brand or on sale.

'I'm making one meal tonight, fried rice, and we got the dog some food, OK? This came to $91,' he shared, showing the viewers the items he got.

'How does this add up to $91, bro? I mean, what a f****** joke…How is anybody with a family even living?'

He ended the video outraged, saying: 'I don't understand.'

You can watch the entire video below:

In another clip, while in her car and on a break at work, a woman started crying as she unleashed her frustration over the cost of living in Australia.

She captioned her video: 'When the grind gets real––this video is a glimpse into the struggles of a relentless work routine and the quest for something more than just the grind.'

1.jpg
Another young Aussie shared her frustration over having to work endlessly, only to end up spending all her hard-earned money on bills. Image source: TikTok/@nuffin_much.

She went on to say: 'I'm so sick and tired of working!'

'I'm working every day till sickness and death, only to come to the end of the week and I have nothing.'

'All my money is gone paying the bills,' she added as she started tearing up.

You can watch the entire video below:

Many could relate to the plight of these two Aussies and expressed their frustration over the two supermarket giants:

'Barely surviving paycheck to paycheck,' one said.

While another slammed the supermarkets and said: 'Billion dollar profits on necessities like food should be criminalised.'

Another agreed: 'Single mum of 3 boys working four jobs to be comfortable. I'm so tired.'

'Australia makes enough food to feed 75 MILLION people. We only have like 27 million. Why is food so expensive here?' A fifth added.

Coles’ CEO Leah Weckert explained that Australia’s high inflation is boosting their profits as people choose to cook up their own meals rather than dine out.

'Eating out, takeaway and coffees from the cafe are increasingly being seen as treats for a special occasion. Customers are still looking to have a treat and a restaurant quality meal and are increasingly looking to supermarkets to do more with their budgets,' she explained while announcing Coles’ $1.1 billion profit. You can read more about their whopping profit here.

On the other hand, Woolworths’ Chief Executive Brad Banducci, whose pay rose by $1.25 million to a total of $8.6 million, announced the chain's $1.6 billion profit. You can read more about Woolworths’ staggering $1.6 billion profit here.

Key Takeaways
  • A man has exposed on social media the high cost of a small grocery haul from Coles.
  • The man's grocery haul came to $91.84, despite most items being home brand or on sale, causing him to question how young people and families are expected to get ahead with such high food prices.
  • The high cost of living in Australia was further highlighted by a young woman's emotional video about the financial struggles she faces due to skyrocketing prices.
  • This outcry comes as supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths post-multi-billion-dollar profits.
Members, have you recently noticed the increase in grocery prices? How do you feel about the gap between the high profits of the supermarkets and the plight of everyday Australians? Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Noticed that only 17 of this guy’s 23 items are shown on his posted docket. Of those there are 3-4 items quite a bit over $13 each. How much is the total of the missing items not shown? Do those sums alone. AND every business is in business to keep themselves alive and make a profit; they are not in business to lose money because WE want to pay less.
That's their problem... making a profit.... I said in 2017 that unless people took a hard look at their business and the lost productivity and escalating costs they would find themselves in deep trouble ..... well a lot of businesses are in deep, deep trouble or trying to fob off their inefficiency by raising their costs.