Coles' skyrocketing prices cause outrage

Australia’s dominant supermarket outlets, Woolworths and Coles, which control a combined 65 per cent of the country’s grocery trade, have recently reported multi-billion dollar profits. Meanwhile, some Aussies are struggling to make ends meet.

Videos posted on social media recently revealed the gap between the profits of the supermarkets and the struggles of everyday Australians. In one clip, a man was outraged when he realised that his small grocery haul cost $91.84–despite purchasing home brand or products on sale at Coles.

The haul included rice, bacon, coffee, carrots, cage-free eggs, soy milk, onions, garlic, carrots, Twiggy sticks, and dog food.

2.jpg
A young Aussie shared his frustration over his bill after doing a ‘tiny’ haul at Coles. Image source: TikTok/@kingkutrone.

'Can someone please explain to me why Australia has gone down the absolute toilet? Because the cost of living at the moment is a joke,' he said.

He went on to say: 'I went to Coles today, not Woolies, right, and everything purchased here is home brand or on sale.

'I'm making one meal tonight, fried rice, and we got the dog some food, OK? This came to $91,' he shared, showing the viewers the items he got.

'How does this add up to $91, bro? I mean, what a f****** joke…How is anybody with a family even living?'

He ended the video outraged, saying: 'I don't understand.'

You can watch the entire video below:

In another clip, while in her car and on a break at work, a woman started crying as she unleashed her frustration over the cost of living in Australia.

She captioned her video: 'When the grind gets real––this video is a glimpse into the struggles of a relentless work routine and the quest for something more than just the grind.'

1.jpg
Another young Aussie shared her frustration over having to work endlessly, only to end up spending all her hard-earned money on bills. Image source: TikTok/@nuffin_much.

She went on to say: 'I'm so sick and tired of working!'

'I'm working every day till sickness and death, only to come to the end of the week and I have nothing.'

'All my money is gone paying the bills,' she added as she started tearing up.

Many could relate to the plight of these two Aussies and expressed their frustration over the two supermarket giants:

'Barely surviving paycheck to paycheck,' one said.

While another slammed the supermarkets and said: 'Billion dollar profits on necessities like food should be criminalised.'

Another agreed: 'Single mum of 3 boys working four jobs to be comfortable. I'm so tired.'

'Australia makes enough food to feed 75 MILLION people. We only have like 27 million. Why is food so expensive here?' A fifth added.

Coles’ CEO Leah Weckert explained that Australia’s high inflation is boosting their profits as people choose to cook up their own meals rather than dine out.

'Eating out, takeaway and coffees from the cafe are increasingly being seen as treats for a special occasion. Customers are still looking to have a treat and a restaurant quality meal and are increasingly looking to supermarkets to do more with their budgets,' she explained while announcing Coles’ $1.1 billion profit. You can read more about their whopping profit here.

On the other hand, Woolworths’ Chief Executive Brad Banducci, whose pay rose by $1.25 million to a total of $8.6 million, announced the chain's $1.6 billion profit. You can read more about Woolworths’ staggering $1.6 billion profit here.

Key Takeaways
  • A man has exposed on social media the high cost of a small grocery haul from Coles.
  • The man's grocery haul came to $91.84, despite most items being home brand or on sale, causing him to question how young people and families are expected to get ahead with such high food prices.
  • The high cost of living in Australia was further highlighted by a young woman's emotional video about the financial struggles she faces due to skyrocketing prices.
  • This outcry comes as supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths post-multi-billion-dollar profits.
Members, have you recently noticed the increase in grocery prices? How do you feel about the gap between the high profits of the supermarkets and the plight of everyday Australians? Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
What a load of crap.
More people buying from supermarkets instead of eating out and that’s the reason they are making $1billion + profit.
You think we are stupid enough to believe that’s why your huge profits.
You are making huge profits because you keep putting the prices up you greedy ………
Prices increase almost weekly. What a rort

If the BIG CEOs accepted a reasonable wage instead of their billion-dollar wages then maybe they could reduce the cost of everyday food items. No one is worth that sort of wage regardless of who you are. I bet they are not scratching to find money to buy their everyday food to feed their family. Ther wages are a BIG JOKE!
A CEO is generally not one person, THEY often employ several highly paid professionals and yes the millions paid out them equates to about 10 cents per share.BUT their absence would result uneven higher costs.Same for politicians, also cost heaps but if we sack them it will cost us even more, Politicians also cost..silly pay but worse without them. Sadly the fault lies with us..if us workers ask for a $1 dollar per week raise will amount to $416 million p.a. and this cost adds to the price of the product so. a CEO gets 0.07%
(not a great saving) .....thats a bargain for a top exec. ( That's about what Coles and woolies used to pay for their plastic bags)... there's a saving that didn't do much for the customer...now we pay for the paper bags. app 2 million bags per week..(about the same cost as 2 CEOs)

yes it is sad and not sure what we can do about it but I still believe from what I have learned in the last 10 years that it has all been done for profit. My one issue is my hubby drinks diet soft drink. Costs too much but he won't give it up. I very rarely buy cakes or biscuits, preferring to make my own from real ingredients. Also no cereal or packaged chips or other cheap stuff that has no nutrition and adds up quickly. We have been taught that eating crap is okay but then we get sick and the real costs come in
Hi Liz49... I read years back that our tastebuds only last 14 days. So, it's possible that it'll only take two weeks of him enjoying something else, to get him off that and your bills sorted. I have had bugger all money for years, but I eat well because I changed what I eat that was too expensive to what I could enjoyably afford.

As far as drinks go. I purchased two large 10' high stainless-steel pots for under $20.00 a while back, What I do for drinks, is fill the large pot 3/4 full of water and bring it to the boil. I boil all of my drinking water; it makes it taste better and kills off any harmful nasties in it.

Then I pour in half a bottle of apple cider vinegar from Aldis (under$3.00 a bottle) and I either splodge in honey, or spoon in coconut sugar, to taste. Coconut sugar tastes exactly like normal sugar, but coconut juice kills mouth bacteria that causes tooth decay. Whereas cane sugar activates it.

Then when stirred, I scoop a cup of it, let it cool down and taste it. I then adjust sweetness/bitterness to taste and when cool, bottle it.

The trick is to make it DELICIOUS you could even put it in a soda stream for him.

I make lemon drinks pretty much the same way. Each pot makes about eight bottles at a time at about $1.00 a bottle. Google what's in diet soda as far as sweeteners, and what they do to human health, that should put him off drinking it ever again.

The other pot I use to make stews soups etc adding two large packets of Tapioca from the Chinese shops to whatever I make, as it makes everything Moorish.

Remember to pre-soak the Tapioca and to stir while cooking as the peals tend to settle. Decant into containers for a week's supply of handy delicious free meals.

Have seen some comments regarding keeping a dog. Please do not take dog to refuge to save money. Refuges are full and struggling - same as you - my dogs have all gone over rainbow bridge and have dog food going begging at home which I would be happy to give to someone in difficulty, also shampoo etc. Animals are suffering due to present situation - just remember your dog or cat is part of the family and loves you!!!!!
Glenys R, so sorry to hear your furbabies have passed on. Two of my 3 felines (19 year old moggies) died while I was in the acute stroke ward last year. My third girl is a Maine Coone kitten I inherited from a young man who discovered it was more work than he'd anticipated. She is already 4 times the size my girls were, but she has a specific diet for that breed, and that is manageable.

However, when my moggies died, I was left with stacks of tinned, packet, and vacuum-packed cat food, all of it with long use-by dates, and none of it suitable for the Maine Coon.

So I called our local animal shelter, and they were ever so grateful to accept the donation of that cat food. They even came and picked it up to save me the trouble.

So if you want to help out your local animal shelter, consider giving them a call.

All the best,
Jess

Reactions: Mrs Robyn
Australia’s dominant supermarket outlets, Woolworths and Coles, which control a combined 65 per cent of the country’s grocery trade, have recently reported multi-billion dollar profits. Meanwhile, some Aussies are struggling to make ends meet.

Videos posted on social media recently revealed the gap between the profits of the supermarkets and the struggles of everyday Australians. In one clip, a man was outraged when he realised that his small grocery haul cost $91.84–despite purchasing home brand or products on sale at Coles.

The haul included rice, bacon, coffee, carrots, cage-free eggs, soy milk, onions, garlic, carrots, Twiggy sticks, and dog food.

View attachment 28264
A young Aussie shared his frustration over his bill after doing a ‘tiny’ haul at Coles. Image source: TikTok/@kingkutrone.

'Can someone please explain to me why Australia has gone down the absolute toilet? Because the cost of living at the moment is a joke,' he said.

He went on to say: 'I went to Coles today, not Woolies, right, and everything purchased here is home brand or on sale.

'I'm making one meal tonight, fried rice, and we got the dog some food, OK? This came to $91,' he shared, showing the viewers the items he got.

'How does this add up to $91, bro? I mean, what a f****** joke…How is anybody with a family even living?'

In another clip, while in her car and on a break at work, a woman started crying as she unleashed her frustration over the cost of living in Australia.

She captioned her video: 'When the grind gets real––this video is a glimpse into the struggles of a relentless work routine and the quest for something more than just the grind.'

View attachment 28263
Another young Aussie shared her frustration over having to work endlessly, only to end up spending all her hard-earned money on bills. Image source: TikTok/@nuffin_much.

'I'm working every day till sickness and death, only to come to the end of the week and I have nothing.'

Many could relate to the plight of these two Aussies and expressed their frustration over the two supermarket giants:

While another slammed the supermarkets and said: 'Billion dollar profits on necessities like food should be criminalised.'

Another agreed: 'Single mum of 3 boys working four jobs to be comfortable. I'm so tired.'

'Australia makes enough food to feed 75 MILLION people. We only have like 27 million. Why is food so expensive here?' A fifth added.

Coles’ CEO Leah Weckert explained that Australia’s high inflation is boosting their profits as people choose to cook up their own meals rather than dine out.

'Eating out, takeaway and coffees from the cafe are increasingly being seen as treats for a special occasion. Customers are still looking to have a treat and a restaurant quality meal and are increasingly looking to supermarkets to do more with their budgets,' she explained while announcing Coles’ $1.1 billion profit. You can read more about their whopping profit here.

On the other hand, Woolworths’ Chief Executive Brad Banducci, whose pay rose by $1.25 million to a total of $8.6 million, announced the chain's $1.6 billion profit. You can read more about Woolworths’ staggering $1.6 billion profit here.

Key Takeaways

• A man has exposed on social media the high cost of a small grocery haul from Coles.
  • The man's grocery haul came to $91.84, despite most items being home brand or on sale, causing him to question how young people and families are expected to get ahead with such high food prices.
  • The high cost of living in Australia was further highlighted by a young woman's emotional video about the financial struggles she faces due to skyrocketing prices.
  • This outcry comes as supermarket giants Coles and Woolworths post-multi-billion-dollar profits.
Members, have you recently noticed the increase in grocery prices? How do you feel about the gap between the high profits of the supermarkets and the plight of everyday Australians? Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.S

View attachment 28264

View attachment 28263

Key Takeaways

Members, have you recently noticed the increase in grocery prices? How do you feel about the gap between the high profits of the supermarkets and the plight of everyday Australians? Please let us know your thoughts in the comments below.

simple... don't shop Cole or Woollies. I haven't been near them for over 20 years. I was looking at the prices in the Woollies catalogue..... you would be starke raving mad to shop there, or on a 6 digit salary.

Reactions: Pink lion
I think it was someone from one of the supermarkets was asked why prices where soooo high the response was THERE IS NO LAW AGAINST PROFITEERING. So there is the answer and until some government dept steps in to put a halt to this we have to live with it. Albo can't he's busy spending as much as he can on international travel up to a million now since he's been in.

I think it was someone from one of the supermarkets was asked why prices where soooo high the response was THERE IS NO LAW AGAINST PROFITEERING. So there is the answer and until some government dept steps in to put a halt to this we have to live with it. Albo can't he's busy spending as much as he can on international travel up to a million now since he's been in.

I guess he figures he's allowed to spend up big. He's head of a party after all, parties are for having a good time amongst special friends. Everyone knows that.

Due to the mining boom swelling the nations coffers Australia is FLUSHED with cash. Add this, to the selling of vast tracks of land and a lot of our best homes sold off (not leased as other nations do) to Chinese Nationals and conglomerates, I figure he must think that he deserves a holiday for all his efforts.

The great sandy desert will be mined next, followed no doubt by the Whitsundays as the world is running out of sand. Google it the world consumes 500 billion Tonnes each year. And as Australia is a bargain sale destination for other nations. Gas Aluminum, lumber all sold at bargain basement prices it's got to be cellarbration time (hic) in the big house.

Yep, pollies seem to consider our country not as a place of great Industry but as a giant shop (even our Australian national anthem advertises us as being this) well as our current shop keeper, he's just giving out bargains and celebrating his personal achievements by travelling to more and more sales conventions.

The good thing I guess about air-conditioned high office towers, airplanes and big buildings, is you can only hear what a few people are saying, and as he is only eating in fancy restaurants and being driven around, maybe he doesn't know how the nation is suffering?

Give em' all another pay rise, or better still, have another election then they get worried the parties are over and share some of the loot with those that really do need it. SOOO many new Australians are expected over a million are in a que...

Where are they going to live? I've lived in a building site hut for nearly two years. I'm not complaining it has all amenities, so many do not live as well.

Last edited:
Albo is a Dork and wouldn't know what day of the week it is. Mongeral.....

View attachment 28264

View attachment 28263

Key Takeaways

I can relate, I get my pension by the time I pay the rent and bills and put away for the one’s coming up put a little fuel in the car I’m left with anywhere between $20 and sometimes if I’m lucky $65 to buy groceries for the fortnight, 😢 thank goodness I have 4 daughters, I go to their place’s for dinner every week, and one daughter makes up fruit jars to last me the week also, so I can’t really complain 😉

Reactions: Pink lion and Ezzy
I can relate, I get my pension by the time I pay the rent and bills and put away for the one’s coming up put a little fuel in the car I’m left with anywhere between $20 and sometimes if I’m lucky $65 to buy groceries for the fortnight, 😢 thank goodness I have 4 daughters, I go to their place’s for dinner every week, and one daughter makes up fruit jars to last me the week also, so I can’t really complain 😉
Lucky you..... I end up $4,5000 in the red.....

• Sad
The lack of money to do what we want to do, is such a common story here in Australia. So many of us start out right, work hard, keep out of trouble, do all the right things, are good people and then repeated negative natural circumstances, failed marriages, floods, cyclones, fires, car crashes, serious injury etc, without due compensation, and all manner of other things, try to grind us down. But they don't change our determination to live a great life... then age comes at us.

I personally am an aspirant, and so without knowing much at all about computers or the internet, I have been on my laptop for years, writing all manner of short stories. We all have them. I am heading off into Lismore for a free appointment to sort out my laptop failures, and one day I will publish about ten or twenty books.

I figure the way forwards is ignore every week money worries, remain consistent and keep the faith that all will work out through applied effort, while entertaining myself. I have a firm belief based upon all of the evidence, that I will write my situation and be financially sorted before too long. Luckily, I have no partner, no pets, no nicotine or alcohol habits requiring money, so my bills are low.

If you're feeling that it's all a bit of a trudge, my advice is to take up a hobby that you love hey guys. This can be anything at all, just as long as it excites your heart and mind, you never know what we can find ourselves great at. And if we love it long enough, whatever it is, others may love and feel to pay for whatever it is that we have created, too. Even if we only sell a few things, it enriches the soul as well as the pocket to do this hey. Just sayin'.

Reactions: IAN3005
MSN post today 31st of the 8th 2023 under the heading find out which major nations are massively in the red wonder how indebted your country really is debt to GDP ratio is a national nations external debt to its total output for a year, as a handy way to judge the overall state of a country's economy and the ability to pay its debts.

100% means a country isn't producing enough to cover what it owes and a rising ratio can signal that a recession is on its way with a consistently high ratio usually accompanied by poor economic growth. With this in mind, read on to discover the depths to GDP ratios of 24 of the world's largest economies from the lowest the highest.

So, it looks like we really are the lucky country we are the most frugal, except when it comes to political spending than any of these 24 major countries. No wonder they gave themselves a pay increase.

I wonder if they backdated it?

Australia 22.3%

Saudí Arabia 30%

Turkey 31.7%

New Zealand 35.9%

Indonesia 40.9%

Mexico 49.6%

Netherlands 51%

Germany 66.3%

South Africa 67.4%

Brazil 72.9%

China 76.9%

Argentina 85%

France 112%

Spain 113%

Canada 113%

Usa 129%

Italy 145%

Singapore 160%

Japan 264%

Russia debt to GDP was shown it was in the 40% but the post never appeared again

The lack of money to do what we want to do, is such a common story here in Australia. So many of us start out right, work hard, keep out of trouble, do all the right things, are good people and then repeated negative natural circumstances, failed marriages, floods, cyclones, fires, car crashes, serious injury etc, without due compensation, and all manner of other things, try to grind us down. But they don't change our determination to live a great life... then age comes at us.

I personally am an aspirant, and so without knowing much at all about computers or the internet, I have been on my laptop for years, writing all manner of short stories. We all have them. I am heading off into Lismore for a free appointment to sort out my laptop failures, and one day I will publish about ten or twenty books.

I figure the way forwards is ignore every week money worries, remain consistent and keep the faith that all will work out through applied effort, while entertaining myself. I have a firm belief based upon all of the evidence, that I will write my situation and be financially sorted before too long. Luckily, I have no partner, no pets, no nicotine or alcohol habits requiring money, so my bills are low.

If you're feeling that it's all a bit of a trudge, my advice is to take up a hobby that you love hey guys. This can be anything at all, just as long as it excites your heart and mind, you never know what we can find ourselves great at. And if we love it long enough, whatever it is, others may love and feel to pay for whatever it is that we have created, too. Even if we only sell a few things, it enriches the soul as well as the pocket to do this hey. Just sayin'.

MSN post today 31st of the 8th 2023 under the heading find out which major nations are massively in the red wonder how indebted your country really is debt to GDP ratio is a national nations external debt to its total output for a year, as a handy way to judge the overall state of a country's economy and the ability to pay its debts.

100% means a country isn't producing enough to cover what it owes and a rising ratio can signal that a recession is on its way with a consistently high ratio usually accompanied by poor economic growth. With this in mind, read on to discover the depths to GDP ratios of 24 of the world's largest economies from the lowest the highest.

So, it looks like we really are the lucky country we are the most frugal, except when it comes to political spending than any of these 24 major countries. No wonder they gave themselves a pay increase.

I wonder if they backdated it?

Australia 22.3%

Saudí Arabia 30%

Turkey 31.7%

New Zealand 35.9%

Indonesia 40.9%

Mexico 49.6%

Netherlands 51%

Germany 66.3%

South Africa 67.4%

Brazil 72.9%

China 76.9%

Argentina 85%

France 112%

Spain 113%

Canada 113%

Usa 129%

Italy 145%

Singapore 160%

Japan 264%

Russia debt to GDP was shown it was in the 40% but the post never appeared again
Do you trust the figures????? The pollies are full of BS

Do you trust the figures????? The pollies are full of BS
I actually do trust the figures hey, because for them to knowingly quote the GDP for even one country wrongly, over the internet, would not be a good thing, at all.

And besides, in our politicians' eyes, it's worth stating the evidenced truth, that says we are in a better financial position that all the other Nations quoted and quite possibly this result, is why they all felt they deserved their recent pay rise.

Though of course to any Australian currently undergoing everyday life hardship, it also says THEY COULD BE SPENDING FAR MORE TO UPLIFT THE LIVES OF EVERYDAY AUSTRALIANS... as they have proven that they certainly could afford to do this, because we are soooooooo much better off than all of these other Nations.

To publicly air, what they themselves shared, is why I felt to post it, here on our site.

I actually do trust the figures hey, because for them to knowingly quote the GDP for even one country wrongly, over the internet, would not be a good thing, at all.

And besides, in our politicians' eyes, it's worth stating the evidenced truth, that says we are in a better financial position that all the other Nations quoted and quite possibly this result, is why they all felt they deserved their recent pay rise.

Though of course to any Australian currently undergoing everyday life hardship, it also says THEY COULD BE SPENDING FAR MORE TO UPLIFT THE LIVES OF EVERYDAY AUSTRALIANS... as they have proven that they certainly could afford to do this, because we are soooooooo much better off than all of these other Nations.

To publicly air, what they themselves shared, is why I felt to post it, here on our site.
if that is what you believe...... so be it..... everyone is entitled to believe what they want.

Okay, while I sympathize, to a degree, with the guy, we need to first take a step back. For one thing, he is not shopping for his meal that night (fried rice), and his dog's food which alone cost $17.00. Do I begrudge the dog the food? Nope. But if you have a pet, you need to be able to afford to feed it.

So take out the dog food, and his food items cost $74.84.

Now, unless he is making enough fried rice to feed his street, the two bags of rice, the three bottles of olive oil (not shown in the photo - $4.50); the 18 cage-free eggs ($6.70); the new bottles of light soy ($5.00), and dark soy ($3.60), and the sesame oil ($3.70), are all replenishing his pantry staples for future consumption as well.

Ditto his English Breakfast 50 bag pkt of tea ($2.20).

Then there is the bacon ($4.90) and the sizzle steaks ($13.00) - well, if you want to eat meat, you have to pay market price, and frankly, Coles and Woollies prices are cheaper than the local butcher's. Perhaps you can get it cheaper at Aldi's, but I'm an age pensioner, and I buy my meat at Coles because the quality's good and the price is reasonable, all things considered.

The attached photos also don't show the garlic ($0.58), and the twiggy sticks ($6.60). There are 15 items pictured (counting both bags of rice separately), but 23 items were purchased, according to the incomplete receipt. Looking at the receipt, the cost of the Sanitarium Barista Soy isn't shown ($2.00), so there appears to be an amount of $0.50 (and what item it relates to) not shown at all in the pic, because the items shown on the picture of the receipt only total $89.34.

So the picture of the shopping basket items is missing 8 items although I can only figure what 5 of them might be, going by the receipt.

In any event, after examining the receipt, and checking the items, I'm afraid I have come to the conclusion that it is a reasonable outlay for the items purchased.

So much comes down to buyer preference. For instance, if one is so concerned about the cost, why purchase the first press 10 shot coffee for $12.70 when you could get the 10 pack Nescafe cappuccino sachets for $3.80 or the Coles Organic Fairtrade Gold Freeze Dried Coffee 100g from $4.00? Noting that 1 teaspoon of freeze dried coffee weighs around 1.8 grams, that's a lot of cups of coffee for $4.00.

Jess (who used to be a forensic accountant in London, hence my fascination with 'evidence' LOL)
Okay, while I sympathize, to a degree, with the guy, we need to first take a step back. For one thing, he is not shopping for his meal that night (fried rice), and his dog's food which alone cost $17.00. Do I begrudge the dog the food? Nope. But if you have a pet, you need to be able to afford to feed it.

So take out the dog food, and his food items cost $74.84.

Now, unless he is making enough fried rice to feed his street, the two bags of rice, the three bottles of olive oil (not shown in the photo - $4.50); the 18 cage-free eggs ($6.70); the new bottles of light soy ($5.00), and dark soy ($3.60), and the sesame oil ($3.70), are all replenishing his pantry staples for future consumption as well.

Ditto his English Breakfast 50 bag pkt of tea ($2.20).

Then there is the bacon ($4.90) and the sizzle steaks ($13.00) - well, if you want to eat meat, you have to pay market price, and frankly, Coles and Woollies prices are cheaper than the local butcher's. Perhaps you can get it cheaper at Aldi's, but I'm an age pensioner, and I buy my meat at Coles because the quality's good and the price is reasonable, all things considered.

The attached photos also don't show the garlic ($0.58), and the twiggy sticks ($6.60). There are 15 items pictured (counting both bags of rice separately), but 23 items were purchased, according to the incomplete receipt. Looking at the receipt, the cost of the Sanitarium Barista Soy isn't shown ($2.00), so there appears to be an amount of $0.50 (and what item it relates to) not shown at all in the pic, because the items shown on the picture of the receipt only total $89.34.

So the picture of the shopping basket items is missing 8 items although I can only figure what 5 of them might be, going by the receipt.

In any event, after examining the receipt, and checking the items, I'm afraid I have come to the conclusion that it is a reasonable outlay for the items purchased.

So much comes down to buyer preference. For instance, if one is so concerned about the cost, why purchase the first press 10 shot coffee for $12.70 when you could get the 10 pack Nescafe cappuccino sachets for $3.80 or the Coles Organic Fairtrade Gold Freeze Dried Coffee 100g from $4.00? Noting that 1 teaspoon of freeze dried coffee weighs around 1.8 grams, that's a lot of cups of coffee for $4.00.

Jess (who used to be a forensic accountant in London, hence my fascination with 'evidence' LOL)
Noticed that only 17 of this guy’s 23 items are shown on his posted docket. Of those there are 3-4 items quite a bit over $13 each. How much is the total of the missing items not shown? Do those sums alone. AND every business is in business to keep themselves alive and make a profit; they are not in business to lose money because WE want to pay less.

Well I’ve discovered the best way to save money on shopping is to go through Gov Health Dept to get dentures for the first time. Becoming a toothless wonder for the last 15 months has done wonders for my shopping budget- no steak, chips, biscuits etc,etc, because you can’t chew anything the least bit hard and this includes the crusts on sandwiches, so no curly hair for me either. BUT when those teeth finally get done, believe me, every crispy, yummy thing I can buy I will. Not to mention a few t-bones thrown in as well. Budget will be blown!
As for the bosses of the supermarkets and the wages paid to them - I’ve never met a single person (rich or poor) who when told the wage that goes with the job says “no thanks, that’s way too much! You have to pay me less!” If you’re being totally honest, would you?
I really love your take on this!!!!

I agree with the shareholder greed and also the high end management get too much. I use the points from Woolworths for Christmas. This year I will have in excess of $200 to spend. That is a big shop for me even buying just meat, eggs and dairy and the usual household stuff like cleaners and toilet paper. I also pay the extra $5 a month (just did it to see if it works) to get the 10% off at Woolworths and Big W. Mostly I end up with a $20 saving. I pick and choose what I buy at each and use the discount for the biggest buys each month. Also still get normal points on those buys. The prices in Woolworths are pretty comparable to the others and usually cheaper than Coles and their Flybys is junk compared to Everyday Rewards. Never been a fan of Aldi.
Don’t get me started on shareholders being greedy. Please don’t forget they BOUGHT those shares in the first place (paid for them, at the right price, at the right time). Shareholders have to buy into a company - shares don’t come for free - and they benefit when value goes up or lose when there is a big drop in value.

Most CEOs and the like do get very high wages and extremely grand handshakes when they retire but the ordinary citizen does not know what their work entails and just how much they have contributed to the profit of the company. Alan Joyce (one example of what appears to us a person not worthy of it) leaving with a grand handshake even after Qantas has been brought down from a top airline position during his tenure. Glad he’s being investigated.