Coles shopper's 'ridiculous' act of defiance against self-checkout service sparks debate online

In the age of digital surveillance, a Coles shopper has taken a stand against what he perceives as an invasion of his privacy.

His unusual method of protest?

Covering the self-checkout camera with a spare receipt. This act has sparked a heated debate among his fellow shoppers.

The shopper, who said he prefers to pay at a manned counter, has grown increasingly frustrated with the idea of big corporations ‘running facial recognition software’ and ‘recording’ customers as they pay.

'I've started doing this when self-serve checkout is only available,' he wrote in a now-deleted post.

'Folding a receipt and placing it over the camera to give a little bit of privacy back.'

Screenshot 2024-01-31 104953.png
A Coles customer has placed a sticker on the self-checkout camera to avoid a ‘Big Brother’ shopping experience. Image: Facebook

He also mentioned carrying Blu Tack in his bag, allowing him to readily stick a receipt over any camera facing him.

While thousands of Australians have mocked his behaviour, calling it 'ridiculous' and 'pathetic', not everyone thinks it's a bad idea.

The advent of high-tech surveillance in Australian supermarkets has been a contentious issue.

Retail giants Woolworths and Coles have invested millions in more cameras, leading to a 'Big Brother' shopping experience that has left some customers feeling uneasy.

Many social media platforms are rife with videos of people expressing their discomfort with these new measures.

Consumer Behaviour Expert Professor Nitika Garg from the University of NSW highlighted that there isn't a 'dangerous motivation' in the increased surveillance.

However, she acknowledged that it is generating substantial unease among customers.

'It is only a recent phenomenon where you can see your own image as you're scanning items,' she said.

'I know what their motivation is, but even then, it makes you be a bit more self-conscious, saying, “Look, I'm scanning the right variety of tomato here. Not scanning the cheaper version.”'

'We knew they always had cameras in store, but I think this is a new and very blatant signal to the consumer: “Look, we are watching, and please do the right thing.”'

The companies argued that the introduction of more cameras is a measure to prevent stock loss, theft, and abuse.

But for many Aussies, the cameras are a source of discomfort and annoyance.

'I actually really hate that they use cameras with facial recognition to see what I buy and sell the data to companies,' one shopper said.

'My partner and I were at Coles the other day and bought an avocado. The checkout assumed we scanned the wrong item and played the recording of us on the screen…We did scan correctly, but apparently, it doesn't know what an avocado looks like,' another shared.

While some shoppers have found humour in the situation, others have offered practical advice for those concerned about being recorded.

'Shop at IGA or small local grocers if you're so worried about being recorded at Coles and Woolworths,' a man suggested.

'Don't use self-checkouts. Just request a worker scan your items,' another advised.

Other commenters shared humourous thoughts about the cameras.

'I need to [stick a receipt over the camera] to prevent a downward depression spiral after having to look at the worst possible version of my face,' one joked.

'I like looking at myself,' another said.

Meanwhile, another similar incident happened as a Coles customer also tried to take his privacy back by placing a sticker at the self-checkout camera. You can read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper has been ridiculed for covering the camera at a self-checkout with a receipt to 'take back' his privacy.
  • The act was met with both mockery and some support from fellow Australians, highlighting differing attitudes towards privacy and surveillance in supermarkets.
  • There is increased consumer unease due to more visible surveillance systems, such as cameras showing customers as they scan their items at self-checkouts.
  • Despite concerns, many suggest practical alternatives or downplay the issue, indicating a range of opinions on the balance between privacy and security in retail environments.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you ever felt uncomfortable while shopping for groceries due to these types of technology? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
He must carry an awful lot of blue tack and bits of paper if he wants to cover all the cameras watching him, they are everywhere. If he has done nothing wrong why is he so paranoid about being seen on camera ?

When I was first married (1955) the grocer came to my house, collected my “order”, told me of new items & prices, returned the goods the next day & gave me a quality gift & calendar at Christmas. Times have changed because we let them, we now even have to select our own items but I will never self check my shopping until I am paid to work for supermarkets, being in a hurry or not.

He must carry an awful lot of blue tack and bits of paper if he wants to cover all the cameras watching him, they are everywhere. If he has done nothing wrong why is he so paranoid about being seen on camera ?
Why does he have to justify himself? He doesn't like being on camera. END OF STORY

But what happens when that's your only options because all the staffed checkouts are CLOSED.
It’s happened and I have asked the person overseeing the self serve area to scan my goods. I refuse to do it myself. One lad said “don’t you know how to do it?” I said yes I do but I chose not to

Reactions: Ezzy
I don't object to the cameras The millions of dollars Coles and WW have invested in is paid for by honest customers. I object to that. I have no doubt that this year the profits will be higher than last year. The government needs to start increasing the taxes on massive profits.

Conditions of entry are not worth the paper they are written on. They do not take precedence over the law. Even bag inspection cannot be enforced. If they ask to inspect my bag I refuse. If they insist I say only a policeman can order me to submit, so call the police. That shuts them up.
Why, I don't have a problem showing my bag it does get ridiculous when they ask to see my very small bag that only holds my phone & keys. People have always shop lifted, unfortunately now days we have a massive drug issue & the cost of living is so high, homelessness.

• Haha
Reactions: I'm Mal and Fanger
But what happens when that's your only options because all the staffed checkouts are CLOSED.
I witnessed a woman and her aged mum point blank refuse to go to self serve when all the manned checkouts were closed at a BigW just before Xmas.
They went to the closed checkout and glared. A staff member went up to them and directed them to the self service. They said NO...nicely and refused to move. Eventually, the team member called someone over to help the ladies. They were served....well done ladies... I thought they were shopping Amazons.

As many have already said - nothing is being recorded about your personal self (i.e. name, date of birth, bank account number, address etc.). There are cameras everywhere in every state, city and suburb, especially in the street. Their purpose is to keep us safe, record faces & actions (especially the bad events). When and if you are involved in a burglary, assault, etc that is the only time your face and actions are recorded, acted upon, and that is when action is taken by police to find you. If you have nothing to hide then don't be afraid.

Get over it all you complainers. You will do yourselves, as they say, a mischief and become so paranoid about these things that you will soon become a hermit in your own home. I'm sure you don't want to stay indoors all day because you believe, incorrectly, that someone is 'watching you' and is out to get you. Cameras are here to stay and so is technology and this last one is advancing so fast there are not many who can keep up with it (only the scammers, unfortunately!!).

I refuse to use any self checkouts. I believe that if one self checkout then you should get a decent discount, as its saving the Company of hiring staff to do the job.

Why, I don't have a problem showing my bag it does get ridiculous when they ask to see my very small bag that only holds my phone & keys. People have always shop lifted, unfortunately now days we have a massive drug issue & the cost of living is so high, homelessness.
well good for you if you don't have a problem. Just because you don't have a problem, don't be disrespectful and ridicule those who have.

Because he is entitled to not be filmed if he so choses. If some random decided to film you would you be ok with that? Why is a major corporate filming you any different.
And they are entitled to film you. It's their property, if you don't like the cameras then shop elsewhere and stop belly aching.
I don't like self serve myself, I always use the manned checkout, but it's got nothing to do with cameras, just personal choice.
You have the same choice, as I said, shop elsewhere.

This is one reason why I don't use self-serve checkouts. The amount of money these supermarkets have spent installing all these checkouts and security technology, could simply have been spent on employing more staff to serve at the normal checkouts. We all know that those security measures are not all about theft because more staffed checkouts would have achieved the same result.

This is one reason why I don't use self-serve checkouts. The amount of money these supermarkets have spent installing all these checkouts and security technology, could simply have been spent on employing more staff to serve at the normal checkouts. We all know that those security measures are not all about theft because more staffed checkouts would have achieved the same result.
No, we all know that security measures ARE all about people stealing, more staff wherever they are in the store will not prevent this, as the staff are not allowed to apprehend anyone they see stealing.

Reactions: summadale and Ezzy