Coles shopper's 'ridiculous' act of defiance against self-checkout service sparks debate online

In the age of digital surveillance, a Coles shopper has taken a stand against what he perceives as an invasion of his privacy.

His unusual method of protest?

Covering the self-checkout camera with a spare receipt. This act has sparked a heated debate among his fellow shoppers.

The shopper, who said he prefers to pay at a manned counter, has grown increasingly frustrated with the idea of big corporations ‘running facial recognition software’ and ‘recording’ customers as they pay.

'I've started doing this when self-serve checkout is only available,' he wrote in a now-deleted post.

'Folding a receipt and placing it over the camera to give a little bit of privacy back.'

Screenshot 2024-01-31 104953.png
A Coles customer has placed a sticker on the self-checkout camera to avoid a ‘Big Brother’ shopping experience. Image: Facebook

He also mentioned carrying Blu Tack in his bag, allowing him to readily stick a receipt over any camera facing him.

While thousands of Australians have mocked his behaviour, calling it 'ridiculous' and 'pathetic', not everyone thinks it's a bad idea.

The advent of high-tech surveillance in Australian supermarkets has been a contentious issue.

Retail giants Woolworths and Coles have invested millions in more cameras, leading to a 'Big Brother' shopping experience that has left some customers feeling uneasy.

Many social media platforms are rife with videos of people expressing their discomfort with these new measures.

Consumer Behaviour Expert Professor Nitika Garg from the University of NSW highlighted that there isn't a 'dangerous motivation' in the increased surveillance.

However, she acknowledged that it is generating substantial unease among customers.

'It is only a recent phenomenon where you can see your own image as you're scanning items,' she said.

'I know what their motivation is, but even then, it makes you be a bit more self-conscious, saying, “Look, I'm scanning the right variety of tomato here. Not scanning the cheaper version.”'

'We knew they always had cameras in store, but I think this is a new and very blatant signal to the consumer: “Look, we are watching, and please do the right thing.”'

The companies argued that the introduction of more cameras is a measure to prevent stock loss, theft, and abuse.

But for many Aussies, the cameras are a source of discomfort and annoyance.

'I actually really hate that they use cameras with facial recognition to see what I buy and sell the data to companies,' one shopper said.

'My partner and I were at Coles the other day and bought an avocado. The checkout assumed we scanned the wrong item and played the recording of us on the screen…We did scan correctly, but apparently, it doesn't know what an avocado looks like,' another shared.

While some shoppers have found humour in the situation, others have offered practical advice for those concerned about being recorded.

'Shop at IGA or small local grocers if you're so worried about being recorded at Coles and Woolworths,' a man suggested.

'Don't use self-checkouts. Just request a worker scan your items,' another advised.

Other commenters shared humourous thoughts about the cameras.

'I need to [stick a receipt over the camera] to prevent a downward depression spiral after having to look at the worst possible version of my face,' one joked.

'I like looking at myself,' another said.

Meanwhile, another similar incident happened as a Coles customer also tried to take his privacy back by placing a sticker at the self-checkout camera. You can read more about this story here.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles shopper has been ridiculed for covering the camera at a self-checkout with a receipt to 'take back' his privacy.
  • The act was met with both mockery and some support from fellow Australians, highlighting differing attitudes towards privacy and surveillance in supermarkets.
  • There is increased consumer unease due to more visible surveillance systems, such as cameras showing customers as they scan their items at self-checkouts.
  • Despite concerns, many suggest practical alternatives or downplay the issue, indicating a range of opinions on the balance between privacy and security in retail environments.

What are your thoughts on this issue, members? Have you ever felt uncomfortable while shopping for groceries due to these types of technology? Share your experiences and opinions in the comments below.

Sponsored
Simple solution… DON’T USE THE DARNED SELF SERVE CHECKOUTS!!!
Let the greedy supermarkets do THEIR job!!
But what happens when that's your only options because all the staffed checkouts are CLOSED.

Sad but true - we are now entering the age of "GATTACA" & "Big Brother" whether we like it or not. Great movie well worth a watch.

If customers feel uneasy etc, then don't use them, I simply forget they are there as I am normally in a hurry or I go in the fast lanes. I don't understand why ppl would feel uneasy just because they are on camera, if they aren't doing anything wrong they have nothing to feel uneasy about!

Because he is entitled to not be filmed if he so choses. If some random decided to film you would you be ok with that? Why is a major corporate filming you any different.
Probably find that it is in the list of conditions of entry to the store.

Reactions: Ezzy and PattiB
I refuse to use self checkout. If a normal checkout is not available I simply leave my shopping and walk out. If they can afford invest millions on cameras, they can afford to invest millions on employing more people. The whole idea of self checkout was to reduce the cost of human resources. Seems to have backfired and is costing more than it would have to retain the checkout operators. No wonder in many other countries they have got rid of self checkouts.

Leave your groceries and walk out. If enough shoppers were to do this things might change.
Doing that increases the prices for everyone so that is actually a bad idea. What do you think happens to any meat, dairy, frozen or other perishable items in your trolley that you have abandoned? They are thrown out because food safety laws say they cannot be put back on sale ... and just who do you think pays for that? Yes, WE do by paying even more inflated prices.

Probably find that it is in the list of conditions of entry to the store.
Conditions of entry are not worth the paper they are written on. They do not take precedence over the law. Even bag inspection cannot be enforced. If they ask to inspect my bag I refuse. If they insist I say only a policeman can order me to submit, so call the police. That shuts them up.

Reactions: Pepper111
Doing that increases the prices for everyone so that is actually a bad idea. What do you think happens to any meat, dairy, frozen or other perishable items in your trolley that you have abandoned? They are thrown out because food safety laws say they cannot be put back on sale ... and just who do you think pays for that? Yes, WE do by paying even more inflated prices.
I’m glad someone else sees my point of view. Food thrown because it cannot be put back on the shelves of refrigerated cabinets is costing US - NOT THE SUPERMARKET. In some way or another, we have already paid for it. Farm-to-packaging-to-supermarket-to-user (YOU & ME).

Because he is entitled to not be filmed if he so choses. If some random decided to film you would you be ok with that? Why is a major corporate filming you any different.
If he doesn't like it then he should shop elsewhere. Their premises, their rules.
Maybe they should put up a sign stating ", Conscientious Objectors Shop Elsewhere"