Coles shopper left in tears after checkout experience

We've all had those moments where we find ourselves unexpectedly short on cash, whether it’s for an unplanned bill or a too-good-to-pass-up sale.

But when it happens at the supermarket checkout and you have a trolley full of groceries that you suddenly can't afford to pay for, it's a whole other level of stress.

That was the predicament one Coles customer in Sydney recently found herself in, as she explained in a post on social media.

After an emergency visit to the vet earlier in the week left her feeling 'rough financially', she went to do her weekly grocery shop — only to discover that she had miscalculated and didn't have enough money to cover the cost of her groceries.

‘I’d spent two dollars more than I had.’ the original poster (OP) said.

As she realised the situation she was in, she noticed a stranger witnessing the whole thing.

‘(A) lovely guy giving off major dad vibes watched me as I struggled to decide what to take off the grocery list.’

‘He was waiting in line behind me with what looked like a single apple. I kept apologising for taking so much time at the register making the cashier return things.’

pexels-photo-4199488.jpg
The poster found herself in a situation any shopper would not want to be in. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Jack Sparrow

When the poster was done sorting out items to meet what she could afford to spend, she proceeded with the transaction. But fate had other plans…

‘Once we were at the right amount, my card declined.’ she shared.

‘I checked my banking, I had a few dollars more than what it was but realised that after a s**t week my card was blocked (this had happened before).’

With virtually no way to pay at that point, all she could do was apologise profusely to the cashier since she was about to return about $114 worth of groceries that they already spent time sorting.

The poster described her grocery haul as mostly ‘cheap, discounted stuff’ too — as if to stress that she wasn’t in peak form financially.

But what happened next would turn her bad day into an experience she’d never forget.

‘The guy was looking at my pile of toilet paper and cat food, instant noodles, cleaner, et cetera, and just told me not to worry about it.’ the poster said.

‘I was confused and he proceeded to PAY FOR MY GROCERIES.’

‘I thanked him, his response was a typical Aussie one of "Don't worry about it, it's nothing".’

The poster said she kept asking if the mystery man was sure about footing her bill, and with the man not raising an issue about the whole scenario, she was unable to contain her emotions.

pexels-photo-8422694.jpg
A mystery man witnessing the poster’s plight helped out in her time of need. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production

‘I burst into tears and he looked even more uncomfortable. Absolute gem of a human. I was embarrassed and bawling so I ran out of there.’

In her state, the poster forgot to ask the man for any details she could use to contact him again for repayment. The man for his part did not follow the poster after the touching action.

‘(He) literally just paid and that was it.’ she said.

All thanks to the kind man, the poster shared that she (and her cats!) had enough food to eat until her blocked card was sorted out.

‘He saved me major anxiety and I’m just so thankful.’

The poster also admitted that the uplifting experience led her to think about living in Sydney, which like most urban centres in the country, has a rap for the unpleasant aspects of city life.

‘I wanted to put a reminder out there that despite the s***ty drivers, crappy neighbours, and birds screaming their lungs out each morning, Sydney is a beautiful city with some amazing people in it.’ she said.

‘Just got me reflecting on all the reasons I've spent my last 10 years here, the reasons Sydney became my home.’

Well, whoever and wherever that man is, we hope his kindness is returned a thousandfold!

What a heartwarming story, eh?

For similar stories guaranteed to get you feeling all mushy and warm, check out another act of kindness at Coles — this time from one worker with a heart of gold.

You might also like another heartwarming story from a Woolworths worker, or this mum’s shopping centre find that came at just the right time.

So, what is your reaction to this story? Have you ever witnessed or been a recipient of a stranger’s random act of kindness?

Share your thoughts and experiences with us below!

Sponsored
We've all had those moments where we find ourselves unexpectedly short on cash, whether it’s for an unplanned bill or a too-good-to-pass-up sale.

But when it happens at the supermarket checkout and you have a trolley full of groceries that you suddenly can't afford to pay for, it's a whole other level of stress.

That was the predicament one Coles customer in Sydney recently found herself in, as she explained in a post on social media.

After an emergency visit to the vet earlier in the week left her feeling 'rough financially', she went to do her weekly grocery shop — only to discover that she had miscalculated and didn't have enough money to cover the cost of her groceries.

‘I’d spent two dollars more than I had.’ the original poster (OP) said.

As she realised the situation she was in, she noticed a stranger witnessing the whole thing.

‘(A) lovely guy giving off major dad vibes watched me as I struggled to decide what to take off the grocery list.’

‘He was waiting in line behind me with what looked like a single apple. I kept apologising for taking so much time at the register making the cashier return things.’

View attachment 9296
The poster found herself in a situation any shopper would not want to be in. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Jack Sparrow

When the poster was done sorting out items to meet what she could afford to spend, she proceeded with the transaction. But fate had other plans…

‘Once we were at the right amount, my card declined.’ she shared.

‘I checked my banking, I had a few dollars more than what it was but realised that after a s**t week my card was blocked (this had happened before).’

With virtually no way to pay at that point, all she could do was apologise profusely to the cashier since she was about to return about $114 worth of groceries that they already spent time sorting.

The poster described her grocery haul as mostly ‘cheap, discounted stuff’ too — as if to stress that she wasn’t in peak form financially.

But what happened next would turn her bad day into an experience she’d never forget.

‘The guy was looking at my pile of toilet paper and cat food, instant noodles, cleaner, et cetera, and just told me not to worry about it.’ the poster said.

‘I was confused and he proceeded to PAY FOR MY GROCERIES.’

‘I thanked him, his response was a typical Aussie one of "Don't worry about it, it's nothing".’

The poster said she kept asking if the mystery man was sure about footing her bill, and with the man not raising an issue about the whole scenario, she was unable to contain her emotions.

View attachment 9297
A mystery man witnessing the poster’s plight helped out in her time of need. Stock Image Credit: Pexels/Kampus Production

‘I burst into tears and he looked even more uncomfortable. Absolute gem of a human. I was embarrassed and bawling so I ran out of there.’

In her state, the poster forgot to ask the man for any details she could use to contact him again for repayment. The man for his part did not follow the poster after the touching action.

‘(He) literally just paid and that was it.’ she said.

All thanks to the kind man, the poster shared that she (and her cats!) had enough food to eat until her blocked card was sorted out.

‘He saved me major anxiety and I’m just so thankful.’

The poster also admitted that the uplifting experience led her to think about living in Sydney, which like most urban centres in the country, has a rap for the unpleasant aspects of city life.

‘I wanted to put a reminder out there that despite the s***ty drivers, crappy neighbours, and birds screaming their lungs out each morning, Sydney is a beautiful city with some amazing people in it.’ she said.

‘Just got me reflecting on all the reasons I've spent my last 10 years here, the reasons Sydney became my home.’

Well, whoever and wherever that man is, we hope his kindness is returned a thousandfold!

What a heartwarming story, eh?

For similar stories guaranteed to get you feeling all mushy and warm, check out another act of kindness at Coles — this time from one worker with a heart of gold.

You might also like another heartwarming story from a Woolworths worker, or this mum’s shopping centre find that came at just the right time.

So, what is your reaction to this story? Have you ever witnessed or been a recipient of a stranger’s random act of kindness?

Share your thoughts and experiences with us below!
Think there should be more selfless act it does the soul good.

Such a warm fuzzy.
One time, I had $2 in my pocket to get a carton of milk.
That's all I had to my name.
I got to the checkout, but couldn't find my coin.
I offered to return the milk to the frig, but the man behind me threw a $2 coin on the conveyor belt.
He said, "There are, luv, your milk's on me,"
I burst into tears, I was so overcome.
If you can't pay it forward in cash, pay it forward in kind.