Coles scandal exposed: $25 million in underpaid wages

Members, we bring you a surprising turn of events – a scandalous revelation that has come to light regarding one of our country's largest supermarket chains, Coles.

It appears that Coles has admitted to yet another $25 million in underpaid wages! This recent discovery comes on top of the already acknowledged $20 million in underpayments identified back in 2020.

Between 2014 and 2020, Coles shortchanged approximately 600 salaried managers. This prompted a thorough review of payment arrangements for all salaried staff covered by the General Retail Industry Award (GRIA).

The story doesn't end here, though. In 2021, Coles incurred $13 million in remediation costs and set aside a further $12 million as a provision. However, ongoing investigations have discovered that the owed amount has climbed to an extra $25 million for salaried managers.

This shocking news follows the recent confession by global mining giant BHP, which admitted to owing 28,500 workers up to $430 million in back pay due to miscalculations of public holiday leave over several years.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.24.53 AM.png
Coles is the latest company to admit it must cough up money for underpaying workers. Credit: Shutterstock.

The underpayment fiasco involving Coles has given rise to a class action that accuses the supermarket giant of underpaying staff by a whopping $150 million. Furthermore, a separate legal action has been initiated by the Fair Work Ombudsman in the Federal Court.

According to the Ombudsman, 7,805 salaried employees were underpaid, a staggering $113.8 million, with about $107 million remaining outstanding. Underpayments reportedly range from insufficient salaries covering overtime work to amounts under the company's remediation program.

Coles, acknowledging its mistake, announced on Friday an additional $25 million provision to compensate the underpaid salaried employees. In an ASX announcement, they stated, 'Coles has continued to work diligently in relation to these issues.'

'Coles advises that following further consideration of the issues as they have evolved, it intends to conduct further remediation relating to the reconciliation of available records of the days and hours of work of salaried supermarket managers.'

'Coles apologises unreservedly to affected team members,' they continued.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket admits to underpaying workers an additional $25 million, following their initial $20 million underpayment revelation in 2020.
  • The underpayment scandal has sparked a class action and a separate legal action by the Fair Work Ombudsman in the Federal Court.
  • Coles announced an additional $25 million provision to compensate underpaid salaried employees and issued an apology to affected team members.
  • The supermarket giant is awaiting the court's decision on other matters, including the interpretation of the General Retail Industry Award and Fair Work Act.

In February, it was revealed that two of Australia's largest fashion retailers would compensate their employees for underpayments, totalling over $4 million, affecting approximately 7,000 workers.

Both David Jones, a department store, and Politix, a fashion retailer under the Country Road brand, admitted to underpaying their staff. As part of their restitution, they will also make a combined contrition payment of nearly $300,000.

Screen Shot 2023-06-05 at 9.24.45 AM.png
Two of Australia's biggest fashion retailers will pay back more than $4 million to 7000 employees who were underpaid. Credit: Unsplash/Dylandgillis.

These discrepancies were reported to the Fair Work Ombudsman by the companies in September 2020. The underpayments extended beyond Politix, as the Country Road Group, encompassing brands such as Country Road, Trenery, Witchery, and Mimco, also experienced similar issues.

Politix acknowledged that approximately 850 employees were underpaid a total of around $2.06 million in wages, along with approximately $45,000 in superannuation contributions, spanning from November 2016 to September 2020.

In the case of David Jones, roughly 2,800 employees were affected, with a total underpayment of approximately $480,000 in wages. Additionally, around $1.4 million in superannuation was not properly provided to approximately 6,100 employees. These discrepancies occurred between April 2014 and September 2020.

Coles now awaits the court's decision concerning other matters, including the interpretation of the GRIA and Fair Work Act. We at the Seniors Discount Club will continue to monitor this situation and keep our members updated on any further developments.

Stay tuned, and don't forget to share this information with your fellow members and friends, ensuring we all remain in the know about the businesses we support.

What are your thoughts on this news, members? Let us know in the comments section below!

Sponsored
And the Human Resources Dept doesn't employ accountants???
Who do they employ, garbage collectors???
No. HR employs people that are capable of interpreting awards (including enterprise agreements) to ensure staff receive their proper entitlements.

I filled various roles within a HR department of a large organisation. Then I completed accounting qualifications and worked in financial accounting of a large organisation. I can assure you that the two roles did not overlap.

Reactions: Ricci
I worked for Safeway for nearly 30 years and they admitted that myself and many others were underpaid as department managers/ yet all the crap you had to fill in to validate that you were a department manager was a joke/ they new exactly how much they owed you /but put the responsibility of filling in endless forms and dragging the scenario out as long as possible/made it impossible to come to a resolution/ I once asked a solicitor about this matter and their reply was/to complicated/ wouldn’t touch it.Coles and Safeway should be ashamed of themselves/ the last 18 months I have fought and beaten cancer/ but of course no work/ I left Safeway over 5 years ago/I miss the people I worked with/but I certainly don’t miss the environment I worked in.cheers

The appalling truth in this matter of gross incompetence by big corporations, is that payroll is usually overviewed and provide advice by HR and invariably come under finance or accounting departments who are responsible to senior management to ensure all employees (& contractors) are paid according to the various agreements and awards and advise when underpayments or breaches occur. For a start it appears that the guilty corporations have "set aside" amounts for underpayments and still as yet have fully recompensed the affected employees - setting aside isn't fixing the problem that hasn't been fixed even when first raised.
I would suggest that the HR ; Accounting; Payroll departments should all be reviewed and either sacked or given a final warning & the auditors be sanctioned at the same time. Where was Fair Work in these unlawful payment periods. It appears that Auditors do nothing but tick boxes and senior management and boards just strictly focus on making profits & reducing employee costs without ensuring they are complying with the employment law requirements while eyeing their profit share bonuses at the expense of those working for them.

No. HR employs people that are capable of interpreting awards (including enterprise agreements) to ensure staff receive their proper entitlements.

I filled various roles within a HR department of a large organisation. Then I completed accounting qualifications and worked in financial accounting of a large organisation. I can assure you that the two roles did not overlap.
The large mining company where I worked for many years as Executive Assistant to the human resources manager, had two accountants in that department.

Reactions: Milica
I have yet to meet a lawyer within a HR department!
That's because they hide behind a dark, bureaucratised curtain. It's all part of the facade, making it seem too difficult for you or I to address any injustices.

• Sad
Members, we bring you a surprising turn of events – a scandalous revelation that has come to light regarding one of our country's largest supermarket chains, Coles.

It appears that Coles has admitted to yet another $25 million in underpaid wages! This recent discovery comes on top of the already acknowledged $20 million in underpayments identified back in 2020.

Between 2014 and 2020, Coles shortchanged approximately 600 salaried managers. This prompted a thorough review of payment arrangements for all salaried staff covered by the General Retail Industry Award (GRIA).

The story doesn't end here, though. In 2021, Coles incurred $13 million in remediation costs and set aside a further $12 million as a provision. However, ongoing investigations have discovered that the owed amount has climbed to an extra $25 million for salaried managers.

This shocking news follows the recent confession by global mining giant BHP, which admitted to owing 28,500 workers up to $430 million in back pay due to miscalculations of public holiday leave over several years.

View attachment 21477
Coles is the latest company to admit it must cough up money for underpaying workers. Credit: Shutterstock.

The underpayment fiasco involving Coles has given rise to a class action that accuses the supermarket giant of underpaying staff by a whopping $150 million. Furthermore, a separate legal action has been initiated by the Fair Work Ombudsman in the Federal Court.

According to the Ombudsman, 7,805 salaried employees were underpaid, a staggering $113.8 million, with about $107 million remaining outstanding. Underpayments reportedly range from insufficient salaries covering overtime work to amounts under the company's remediation program.

Coles, acknowledging its mistake, announced on Friday an additional $25 million provision to compensate the underpaid salaried employees. In an ASX announcement, they stated, 'Coles has continued to work diligently in relation to these issues.'

'Coles advises that following further consideration of the issues as they have evolved, it intends to conduct further remediation relating to the reconciliation of available records of the days and hours of work of salaried supermarket managers.'

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket admits to underpaying workers an additional $25 million, following their initial $20 million underpayment revelation in 2020.
  • The underpayment scandal has sparked a class action and a separate legal action by the Fair Work Ombudsman in the Federal Court.
  • Coles announced an additional $25 million provision to compensate underpaid salaried employees and issued an apology to affected team members.
  • The supermarket giant is awaiting the court's decision on other matters, including the interpretation of the General Retail Industry Award and Fair Work Act.

In February, it was revealed that two of Australia's largest fashion retailers would compensate their employees for underpayments, totalling over $4 million, affecting approximately 7,000 workers.

Both David Jones, a department store, and Politix, a fashion retailer under the Country Road brand, admitted to underpaying their staff. As part of their restitution, they will also make a combined contrition payment of nearly $300,000.

View attachment 21478
Two of Australia's biggest fashion retailers will pay back more than $4 million to 7000 employees who were underpaid. Credit: Unsplash/Dylandgillis.

These discrepancies were reported to the Fair Work Ombudsman by the companies in September 2020. The underpayments extended beyond Politix, as the Country Road Group, encompassing brands such as Country Road, Trenery, Witchery, and Mimco, also experienced similar issues.

Politix acknowledged that approximately 850 employees were underpaid a total of around $2.06 million in wages, along with approximately $45,000 in superannuation contributions, spanning from November 2016 to September 2020.

In the case of David Jones, roughly 2,800 employees were affected, with a total underpayment of approximately $480,000 in wages. Additionally, around $1.4 million in superannuation was not properly provided to approximately 6,100 employees. These discrepancies occurred between April 2014 and September 2020.

Coles now awaits the court's decision concerning other matters, including the interpretation of the GRIA and Fair Work Act. We at the Seniors Discount Club will continue to monitor this situation and keep our members updated on any further developments.

Stay tuned, and don't forget to share this information with your fellow members and friends, ensuring we all remain in the know about the businesses we support.

What are your thoughts on this news, members? Let us know in the comments section below!
Quick to put up prices not quick to pay employees and get their house in order

View attachment 21477

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21478

Shocking!!

Payroll is managed by the Human Resources department not accountants!
Well they certainly need knew workers-in my experience HR seem to think they know it all on many levels when it comes to workers-and in this case clearly Not!

I'm thinking they are going to have to pay their past and present employees what is owed to them , so guessing we will be the ones who actually pay it through more price increases 😡

• Sad

Well Coles certainly has not, and on more than one occassion employed people in HR that are
not capable of interpreting awards, otherwise they would not be in the position they are in now & with all due respect - staff have not received there proper entitlements!

Last edited:
The appalling truth in this matter of gross incompetence by big corporations, is that payroll is usually overviewed and provide advice by HR and invariably come under finance or accounting departments who are responsible to senior management to ensure all employees (& contractors) are paid according to the various agreements and awards and advise when underpayments or breaches occur. For a start it appears that the guilty corporations have "set aside" amounts for underpayments and still as yet have fully recompensed the affected employees - setting aside isn't fixing the problem that hasn't been fixed even when first raised.
I would suggest that the HR ; Accounting; Payroll departments should all be reviewed and either sacked or given a final warning & the auditors be sanctioned at the same time. Where was Fair Work in these unlawful payment periods. It appears that Auditors do nothing but tick boxes and senior management and boards just strictly focus on making profits & reducing employee costs without ensuring they are complying with the employment law requirements while eyeing their profit share bonuses at the expense of those working for them.
That is the truth! And the workers keep on working! to be able to keep there jobs, pay bills and put food on there tables.

Boycott Coles. Join local cooperatives or market garden groups. Network with friends who do. Find a farmer friend.
I haven't shopped at Coles for over 10 years... people must do the same. Their prices are over inflated and their 50% off sales are a joke.

View attachment 21477

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21478

It makes me wonder whether they are worth investing in.

Reactions: IAN3005
That's because they hide behind a dark, bureaucratised curtain. It's all part of the facade, making it seem too difficult for you or I to address any injustices.

The first step towards the solution is acknowledgement, which Coles has done.
Good on them - they actually have no choice not too - now that it is in the public arena.
Good point, hopefully they acknowledge - they won't do this, yet again!

View attachment 21477

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21478

They should be ashamed to admit underpaying employees.

It is disgrace that they got away for so long.
Also charging customers the high price for their produce
its about time companies like Woolworths Coles Kmart Harvey Norman and Bunnings be investigated.
Buy ACCC as they think they can do as they please.

I worked for Safeway for nearly 30 years and they admitted that myself and many others were underpaid as department managers/ yet all the crap you had to fill in to validate that you were a department manager was a joke/ they new exactly how much they owed you /but put the responsibility of filling in endless forms and dragging the scenario out as long as possible/made it impossible to come to a resolution/ I once asked a solicitor about this matter and their reply was/to complicated/ wouldn’t touch it.Coles and Safeway should be ashamed of themselves/ the last 18 months I have fought and beaten cancer/ but of course no work/ I left Safeway over 5 years ago/I miss the people I worked with/but I certainly don’t miss the environment I worked in.cheers
Sorry to hear of

Indeed, HR are capable of interpreting awards. Do they? No. Very often not. Why? Because they are either silenced or otherwise bullied into submission.

As well as paying the wages they should have to pay interest for all the years owed, at today’s rates, to each employee on the amount of money they are owed now. Might make them realise they can’t keep ripping off workers. They are not the only company being caught for doing this either.

Reactions: Rainy
Accounting is a difficult for small businesses but when it comes to massive profit organizations, who have the manpower and resources to ensure that everything is above board, there is no excuse so it amounts to grand theft.
TO make it worse many of the then employees are nor retirees and senior members and those stolen wages would have included super payments that also went missing.
Again the members will miss out because they will get the missing wages , less that massive tax hit, the alteration of the deeming levels and the missing interest from the super funds.
Nothing short of the board members , CEO's and accountants going to jail is acceptable, as a wet lettuce leaf apology doesn't cut it.
And where are the auditors?

Reactions: IAN3005