Coles' paper bag switch sparks debate among shoppers

The move towards sustainability is a journey with many twists and turns, and for Coles shoppers, it's taken a rather 'confusing' turn with the recent change in paper bag sizes for online deliveries.

Last year, Coles made a significant eco-friendly stride by phasing out all plastic shopping bags in favour of paper ones.

While this was met with a mix of applause and scepticism, the latest adjustment has left some customers scratching their heads.

The 'shrinking' paper bags have been a hot topic among online shoppers who have noticed that their groceries now arrive in more bags than before.

This change sparked a debate on whether the new approach is truly better for the environment, or if it's a step back in the quest for sustainability.

Screenshot 2024-03-13 093010.jpg
Customers expressed their confusion after Coles changed the size of their paper bags used for online deliveries. Credits: Facebook

One Adelaide shopper expressed her bewilderment online, stating, 'My online order just arrived, and it's hard to tell by looking at this, but these bags are like half the size of a regular bag. So instead of having five or six bags of groceries, I have, like, 10.'

‘I'm all for using paper bags, it's better for the environment, but how is this better for the environment when I have double the amount of bags now to recycle, or throw away in the bin... I'm confused,’ she continued.

The sentiment was echoed by a Melbourne customer who was concerned about being charged the same amount for each bag, despite needing more of them to accommodate the same amount of groceries.

Meanwhile, a Gosford resident lamented the difficulty in carrying groceries due to the smaller bags, calling it 'another step in the wrong direction'.

The online community has been vocal, with some shoppers reporting up to 15 paper bags for a single shop, leaving them 'dumbfounded' by the change.

In response to the uproar, Coles explained the change.

'The new Coles Online version will fit more easily into packing crates, which will lead to less damage and improved reuse,' a spokesperson said.

Despite the size reduction of 13.5 centimetres, the bags are designed to carry the same weight as the original paper bags.

Online shoppers will continue to pay a flat rate of $1.50 for bags, regardless of the number required for their shop.

Coles remains steadfast in their commitment to sustainability, encouraging shoppers to bring their own reusable bags, or purchase tote bags from the supermarket.

'The most sustainable option is to bring your own reusable bag to the supermarket, but for those who forget, we will continue to sell 100 per cent recycled paper bags that can be recycled kerbside, as well as other reusable options,' Coles Group Chief Operations and Sustainability Officer Matt Swindells stated last May.

Coles’ reusable paper bags had been met with complaints about its quality when they were released last year.

The decision to reduce the size of these bags was also trialled late last year, and was also welcomed with customer dissatisfaction.
Key Takeaways
  • Coles changed the size of their paper bags used for online deliveries, making them smaller for logistical reasons to fit more easily into packing crates.
  • Some customers were frustrated by the smaller bags, as it resulted in their groceries being packed into more bags than before, raising concerns about its environmental impact.
  • Despite the size change, Coles will charge a flat rate of $1.50 for the bags, and there will be no change to the paper bags available for in-store purchases.
  • Coles encouraged shoppers to bring their own reusable bags or buy tote bags from the supermarket to be more sustainable, and confirmed that the in-store paper bags can be recycled kerbside.
Do you have thoughts on the new paper bag sizes or tips on how to manage them? Share your insights with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
It's interesting no one has mentioned the fact they are made in China so Coles will not be paying more than a couple of cents for them
If you don't like those one's there are many more out there that are Australian made, best place to buy them are at your local weekend markets. Well worth the money or even make them yourself if you have a sewing machine. I have made some out of 2 tea towels sewn together (3 sides only) with a thick cord or nylon strap for handles (Spotlight).

Reactions: PattiB
I recall when in post-war years my mother used to save brown paper and string and used repairable string bags in which to carry groceries. That went on into the 1960s, such as had been the lesson of the 10 years of the Great Depression in Pomgolia and the ensuing 6 years of WW2, which were also a "first world problem" of the time.
I think most people who lived through the depression & WW2 saved all sorts of things. My mum certainly did. My sister & I found all sorts of things squirrelled away, the most amusing was an old tea caddy full of bits of cotton wool that pharmacists used to put in the top of tablet bottles. One of my elderly friends still collects & flattens out wrapping paper. Old habits die hard.