Coles' new 'Smart Gates' allegedly crush shopper: ‘Yes, it hurt’

The introduction of 'smart gates' at Coles supermarkets has sparked a wave of concern among customers, with some claiming the new security measures are causing harm and creating an unwelcoming shopping environment.

The gates, installed as a high-tech solution to combat a rise in shoplifting, have inadvertently led to distressing incidents, raising questions about the balance between security and customer safety.

In a shocking incident, a Coles shopper using a wheelchair has claimed to have been 'crushed' by the supermarket's new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout area.

This incident has sparked outrage among customers, with many comparing the new security measures to a prison-like environment.

The customer, accompanied by their ten-year-old son, narrated their harrowing experience on social media.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 113430.png
An alleged incident was posted online wherein a Coles shopper was allegedly ‘crushed’ by the supermarket’s new ‘smart gates’ while on a wheelchair. Image: Reddit

They explained that while their son managed to pass through the gates without any issue, the door suddenly closed on them midway.

'Halfway through, the gate slammed shut on me. Hit my arms and stopped my wheelchair,' they wrote.

'Beeping away, it opened after a second and I pushed through. Yes, it hurts. Yes, it scared me silly. No, I'm not injured. No, I don't think it damaged my wheelchair. No, I didn't shoplift.'

They reported the incident to a duty manager at the store, who assured them that someone from management would be in touch.

However, the customer remains sceptical, stating, 'I'll believe it when it happens, but I will be calling every day until SOMEONE tells me how to avoid being crushed next time.'

Coles introduced the 'smart gates' as part of an anti-theft system in September last year, following a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting incidents.

The gates are designed to close and sound an alarm if a discrepancy is detected between items scanned and those placed in bags.

If a suspected thief attempts to leave the store, the wheels on the new high-tech trolleys lock up, effectively preventing their escape.

Previous reports have revealed that even fog machines are being considered as part of the store’s array of security measures.

'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products,' a Coles spokesperson told a news source.

However, the new security measures have been met with widespread criticism from customers.

Many feel that the gates create a claustrophobic, ‘prison-like’ atmosphere; others have reported similar incidents of the doors closing unexpectedly.

One social media user shared: 'One literally snapped shut on our pram as we were pushing our kiddo through.'

Another disgruntled customer expressed their frustration, saying, 'I'm s****y that they close them and you have to wait to get out sometimes because they want to check you didn't steal a $3 lemon. It's turning into a jail rather than a supermarket.'

They also raise important questions about accessibility and safety, particularly for customers with mobility issues or those using wheelchairs or prams.

In late 2023, one of our members shared her experience with Coles’ smart gates.

‘I've often encountered these gates and need staff members to help me leave every time,’ member @Margaret 9 said.

‘I have to use a mobility scooter when shopping, and it is wider than the gates allow! Each time, the gates close either as I reach them or when I'm halfway through them!’

‘I've paid for my purchases each time as I always do, but still these silly gates trap me… until at least two, sometimes four or more, shop attendants can get them open to allow me to leave! NOT HAPPY COLES!’

Coles has defended the new security measures, stating that retail crime is on the rise and that the smart gate technology is just one of several measures being implemented to combat theft.

'The technology has sensors and inbuilt detectors to ensure the gate re-opens automatically to avoid closing on customers,' they said.

However, the recent incident raises serious questions about the accessibility and safety of these measures, particularly for customers with mobility issues.

'We are concerned to hear about this customer's experience, so we are working hard to identify where this happened so we can fully investigate the incident,' they added.

As the incident at Coles demonstrates, there is a delicate balance to be struck between security and customer experience.

Retailers must ensure that their security measures are not only effective in deterring theft, but also safe and accessible for all customers.

Key Takeaways
  • A customer reported being 'crushed' by Coles' new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout in their wheelchair.
  • The smart gates are part of a heightened security system aiming to combat a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting.
  • Customers have expressed anger and discomfort with the gates, some feeling like they are being treated as criminals, with the shopping experience likened to being in jail.
  • Coles has yet to provide an official statement addressing the specific incident, but has previously discussed the rollout of new security measures designed to curb theft.

What are your thoughts on these new security measures? Have you had a similar experience at your local supermarket? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
it shouldn't be catching scooters though. Timing? But simple, open all the manned checkouts instead of only 1 or if lucky 2 currently, and people will move through quickly and all items presented and scanned. Likewise the 12 items and under often only have one person on. Just man the checkouts.

These anti-theft devices, if they are successful, result in cheaper prices for all. If they result in a little inconvenience for some then so be it. I agree with Coles implementing what ever is needed to stop theft. Maybe the punishment for theft should be more severe to stop theft.
I image stores would have generators to keep refrigeration running, to cover huge amounts of stock.
I:unsure: hope this would cover emergency exit.

The introduction of 'smart gates' at Coles supermarkets has sparked a wave of concern among customers, with some claiming the new security measures are causing harm and creating an unwelcoming shopping environment.

The gates, installed as a high-tech solution to combat a rise in shoplifting, have inadvertently led to distressing incidents, raising questions about the balance between security and customer safety.

In a shocking incident, a Coles shopper using a wheelchair has claimed to have been 'crushed' by the supermarket's new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout area.

This incident has sparked outrage among customers, with many comparing the new security measures to a prison-like environment.

The customer, accompanied by their ten-year-old son, narrated their harrowing experience on social media.

View attachment 39391
An alleged incident was posted online wherein a Coles shopper was allegedly ‘crushed’ by the supermarket’s new ‘smart gates’ while on a wheelchair. Image: Reddit

They explained that while their son managed to pass through the gates without any issue, the door suddenly closed on them midway.

'Halfway through, the gate slammed shut on me. Hit my arms and stopped my wheelchair,' they wrote.

'Beeping away, it opened after a second and I pushed through. Yes, it hurts. Yes, it scared me silly. No, I'm not injured. No, I don't think it damaged my wheelchair. No, I didn't shoplift.'

They reported the incident to a duty manager at the store, who assured them that someone from management would be in touch.

However, the customer remains sceptical, stating, 'I'll believe it when it happens, but I will be calling every day until SOMEONE tells me how to avoid being crushed next time.'

Coles introduced the 'smart gates' as part of an anti-theft system in September last year, following a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting incidents.

The gates are designed to close and sound an alarm if a discrepancy is detected between items scanned and those placed in bags.

If a suspected thief attempts to leave the store, the wheels on the new high-tech trolleys lock up, effectively preventing their escape.

Previous reports have revealed that even fog machines are being considered as part of the store’s array of security measures.

'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products,' a Coles spokesperson told a news source.

However, the new security measures have been met with widespread criticism from customers.

Many feel that the gates create a claustrophobic, ‘prison-like’ atmosphere; others have reported similar incidents of the doors closing unexpectedly.

One social media user shared: 'One literally snapped shut on our pram as we were pushing our kiddo through.'

Another disgruntled customer expressed their frustration, saying, 'I'm s****y that they close them and you have to wait to get out sometimes because they want to check you didn't steal a $3 lemon. It's turning into a jail rather than a supermarket.'

They also raise important questions about accessibility and safety, particularly for customers with mobility issues or those using wheelchairs or prams.

‘I've often encountered these gates and need staff members to help me leave every time,’ member @Margaret 9 said.

‘I have to use a mobility scooter when shopping, and it is wider than the gates allow! Each time, the gates close either as I reach them or when I'm halfway through them!’

‘I've paid for my purchases each time as I always do, but still these silly gates trap me… until at least two, sometimes four or more, shop attendants can get them open to allow me to leave! NOT HAPPY COLES!’

Coles has defended the new security measures, stating that retail crime is on the rise and that the smart gate technology is just one of several measures being implemented to combat theft.

'The technology has sensors and inbuilt detectors to ensure the gate re-opens automatically to avoid closing on customers,' they said.

However, the recent incident raises serious questions about the accessibility and safety of these measures, particularly for customers with mobility issues.

'We are concerned to hear about this customer's experience, so we are working hard to identify where this happened so we can fully investigate the incident,' they added.

As the incident at Coles demonstrates, there is a delicate balance to be struck between security and customer experience.

Retailers must ensure that their security measures are not only effective in deterring theft, but also safe and accessible for all customers.

Key Takeaways

• A customer reported being 'crushed' by Coles' new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout in their wheelchair.
  • The smart gates are part of a heightened security system aiming to combat a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting.
  • Customers have expressed anger and discomfort with the gates, some feeling like they are being treated as criminals, with the shopping experience likened to being in jail.
  • Coles has yet to provide an official statement addressing the specific incident, but has previously discussed the rollout of new security measures designed to curb theft.

What are your thoughts on these new security measures? Have you had a similar experience at your local supermarket? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
If the super Markets have such a low opinion of people and contain them like prisoners and embarrass them when they have done nothing wrong, Could I suggest that people stop using them. and use the staff manned checkouts where you are treated like a person.

Reactions: mylittletibbies
The article stated.. "The gates are designed to close and sound an alarm if a discrepancy is detected between items scanned and those placed in bags".

Surely this is a wrong concept, where if the first (or any item) was not scanned but placed directly into a bag, that it should be the scanner that picks up this error, or attempted theft, and not the gates.

However, if the customer has a trolley, with other personal bags, along with the filled Coles bags, and items had been placed in a shoppers personal bags, or left in the trolley and not scanned, then this is what the gates could be detecting.

I think the gates do have a role to play in helping to detect theft. As a rule, whenever I shop, I always make a rule of getting my receipt as proof that what I am taking from the store is what I have paid for.
I agree that theft needs to be addressed.

However, it appears that AI is not yet as advanced as it needs to be.

Inability to distinguish between personal items (without barcodes) and Coles store items seems to be resulting in these crushes/lock ins - humiliations.

A lot of money to have spent on an under evolved tech mechanism that is causing corporate image damage.

I agree with your comment @mylittletibbies.

“….said that since the pandemic, like a lot of other businesses, they are having trouble getting staff. She also said staff have become picky and choosy about what shifts they want to do.”

My daughter, working in retail, has said the very same thing.
I witnessed the lack of staff yesterday at Woolworths. The Customer Service desk has 3 manual checkouts but was being staffed by 1 person.

The line to go through these checkouts was 10 long.

The 1 person couldn't stop to address my query because she needed to keep the line going.

I did line up but saw how much pressure was on this one lady so I let others go before me and waited.

I waited 10 minutes. 12 minutes later I was informed that the item I wanted was sold out.

Woolies no longer gives rainchecks so it's hit or miss forcing customers to make multiple visits to the store.

Progress. A wonderful thing.

I got stuck behind these gates in Coles with my Aged Care Support Worker. We went through a manned check out, yes there was one at Coles. The staff at the self service area had to get the gates open for us because the checkout operator I went through told them he had scanned all my items and I had paid for them all. Now I use a walking stick, so heaven help us both if they shut inadvertently again. I will stick to when able, to buy online and they cannot accuse me of not paying. I do not steal and don't want to be treated like a criminal. Yes they have to do something about the theft in supermarkets, maybe we need to look to the government to do something to stop the rising prices. Don't know who is at fault here. But having been caught wrongly behind these gates, I am not a happy shopper.

I agree with your comment @mylittletibbies.

“….said that since the pandemic, like a lot of other businesses, they are having trouble getting staff. She also said staff have become picky and choosy about what shifts they want to do.”

My daughter, working in retail, has said the very same thing.
Getting too picky and choosy is akin to the 'tail waving the dog' syndrome....the company advertises for workers to do a specific job, if that is not what the person 'likes' then just don't bother applying for it ..simple. For those that really want work then there are many jobs available.....some people just need to realise who makes the rules when looking for a job.

View attachment 39391

Key Takeaways

The customer should sue the heck out of Coles. If shoplifting is on the rise, it's because supermarkets are putting prices up every week, not by cents, but by dollars. People are getting desperate to feed their families. It's disgusting, shame on Coles and Woolies

Reactions: Annna

View attachment 39391

Key Takeaways

I think k the term "crushed" was over the top. Starting to read I imagined serious damage and I jury not just a bump. There has been lots written about the gates so a little common sense would make people in wheel chairs use a checkout.

Get rid of self-service and shoplifting will drop. Will we see airport-type body scanners next?
Getting rid of self serve registers is NOT going to stop shoplifters. Most of them think they are entitled to steal. I see it everyday while working in Retail. They buy their grog & cigarettes & then say they are broke. Seriously.

Reactions: freedy50
The customer should sue the heck out of Coles. If shoplifting is on the rise, it's because supermarkets are putting prices up every week, not by cents, but by dollars. People are getting desperate to feed their families. It's disgusting, shame on Coles and Woolies
There's always been shoplifting.
The fact that prices are so ridiculously high does not give people the right to shop lift.
Decent people do not stoop to stealing, there are plenty of food banks, charities etc to help out.
People buy crap, alcohol, cigs and then complain they can't afford food.
I don't think this person would have much luck trying to sue the supermarket. You can't sue people for your own stupidity.
Why did she not go through the manned checkout where she wouldn't have been stuck???
Simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: freedy50
Oh well. Never mind. It was only one person. If it was thousands in the same position I might take more notice?

If you go to the UK all the supermarkets have security guards walking round the store and by the entrance/exit looking at the CCTV cameras in the store although there's still a lot of theft there as well. Normally whatever happens over there is copied by the supermarkets here eventually.

I got stuck behind these gates in Coles with my Aged Care Support Worker. We went through a manned check out, yes there was one at Coles. The staff at the self service area had to get the gates open for us because the checkout operator I went through told them he had scanned all my items and I had paid for them all. Now I use a walking stick, so heaven help us both if they shut inadvertently again. I will stick to when able, to buy online and they cannot accuse me of not paying. I do not steal and don't want to be treated like a criminal. Yes they have to do something about the theft in supermarkets, maybe we need to look to the government to do something to stop the rising prices. Don't know who is at fault here. But having been caught wrongly behind these gates, I am not a happy shopper.
And you've been bullied out of in-store shopping, how sad.

It's wrong that you now feel on-line shopping is the only way to go.

If I wasn't a trusting human being, I'd conclude that catching people in gates is a supermarket ploy to get them out and on-line.

Last edited:
I think k the term "crushed" was over the top. Starting to read I imagined serious damage and I jury not just a bump. There has been lots written about the gates so a little common sense would make people in wheel chairs use a checkout.
I wonder how you'd feel if it happened to you?

There's always been shoplifting.
The fact that prices are so ridiculously high does not give people the right to shop lift.
Decent people do not stoop to stealing, there are plenty of food banks, charities etc to help out.
People buy crap, alcohol, cigs and then complain they can't afford food.
I don't think this person would have much luck trying to sue the supermarket. You can't sue people for your own stupidity.
Why did she not go through the manned checkout where she wouldn't have been stuck???
Simple.
Empathy.

Oh well. Never mind. It was only one person. If it was thousands in the same position I might take more notice?

If you go to the UK all the supermarkets have security guards walking round the store and by the entrance/exit looking at the CCTV cameras in the store although there's still a lot of theft there as well. Normally whatever happens over there is copied by the supermarkets here eventually.
So if they go to these extreme measures in the UK and there's still a lot of theft, you could say they don't work.