Trolley drama at Coles: Why is this customer outraged over new anti-theft measures?

In a world where technology is increasingly being used to combat theft, a Coles customer has voiced her frustration over the supermarket's new anti-theft trolleys.

The incident, which took place at her local store, has sparked a heated debate about the effectiveness and fairness of such security measures.

The customer shared a video on social media detailing her experience.

She had just completed her shopping and paid for her groceries at a manned checkout when an alarm sounded, triggering the supermarket's new security gates in the self-serve checkout area.

To her surprise, her trolley was immobilised, leaving her unable to move her paid groceries out of the store.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 091028.png
The Coles shopper, Jessica, shares her experience from the store’s new security technology. Image: TikTok/@jessicadorante

Coles introduced these new anti-theft trolleys last year, which feature sensors in their wheels that lock if a customer attempts to leave the store without paying.

However, it is understood that these trolleys are not supposed to be disabled during a security breach in another part of the store. It is also believed that the smart gate security technology is not linked to the anti-theft measures of the trolleys. It is believed that a random malfunction may have been the cause of this shopper's experience.

Going back to the video, the shopper expressed her confusion and frustration over the incident.

'I had just finished paying for my groceries, and I went to push my trolley away. At the same time, the alarms in the self-service area start buzzing and there's lights flashing and the gates are flashing red—they wouldn't let anybody out.’

‘And my trolley made this weird buzz and then stopped working like I couldn't push it, and I didn't know what the f*** was going on.'

The Coles checkout worker who served her explained that the trolley had been disabled due to the alarms in the self-checkout area.

The shopper was only able to leave once the self-serve security incident was resolved, and a staff member used a machine to re-enable her trolley.

The video has since gone viral, with many viewers feeling that the supermarket's security measures were excessive.

'Surely all these preventative measures are more expensive than if they'd just kept servers!' one commenter said.

Another added: 'Amazing they can afford robot trolleys but can't drop their prices on average food items.'

Meanwhile, a Coles spokesperson defended the use of the trolley lock technology, stating that it is used in selected stores to reduce theft.

'While most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately, a small number don’t,' a Coles spokesperson said.

'Coles has a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS), and in some stores new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

‘Additionally, trolley lock technology has been in place at a number of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys from leaving the store if someone hasn’t first paid at a register.’

You can watch the customer’s full video below:

Source: TikTok/@jessicadorante​

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles customer expressed frustration over the supermarket's anti-theft trolley system following an incident where her trolley became locked due to a security alarm triggered by another shopper.
  • In a viral video, the shopper discussed how the security incident in the self-service area resulted in her purchased groceries being temporarily immobilised, despite being away from the self-checkouts.
  • Coles' anti-theft trolleys are designed with sensors to lock if a customer attempts to leave the store without paying, although a news source understands that smart gate security is not linked to these trolleys.
  • The incident provoked online debate about the effectiveness of Coles' security measures, with some social media users suggesting that such measures could be more costly than the problem they aim to solve.

What are your thoughts on these anti-theft measures? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
Too bad their automatic gates don't like people who use mobility scooters exiting the store! I've lost count of the number of times I've been trapped by them, even though all of my groceries have been paid for...it is highly annoying to say the least!

In a world where technology is increasingly being used to combat theft, a Coles customer has voiced her frustration over the supermarket's new anti-theft trolleys.

The incident, which took place at her local store, has sparked a heated debate about the effectiveness and fairness of such security measures.

She had just completed her shopping and paid for her groceries at a manned checkout when an alarm sounded, triggering the supermarket's new security gates in the self-serve checkout area.

To her surprise, her trolley was immobilised, leaving her unable to move her paid groceries out of the store.

View attachment 38947
The Coles shopper, Jessica, shares her experience from the store’s new security technology. Image: TikTok/@jessicadorante

Coles introduced these new anti-theft trolleys last year, which feature sensors in their wheels that lock if a customer attempts to leave the store without paying.

However, it is understood that these trolleys are not supposed to be disabled during a security breach in another part of the store. It is also believed that the smart gate security technology is not linked to the anti-theft measures of the trolleys. It is believed that a random malfunction may have been the cause of this shopper's experience.

Going back to the video, the shopper expressed her confusion and frustration over the incident.

'I had just finished paying for my groceries, and I went to push my trolley away. At the same time, the alarms in the self-service area start buzzing and there's lights flashing and the gates are flashing red—they wouldn't let anybody out.’

‘And my trolley made this weird buzz and then stopped working like I couldn't push it, and I didn't know what the f*** was going on.'

The Coles checkout worker who served her explained that the trolley had been disabled due to the alarms in the self-checkout area.

The shopper was only able to leave once the self-serve security incident was resolved, and a staff member used a machine to re-enable her trolley.

The video has since gone viral, with many viewers feeling that the supermarket's security measures were excessive.

'Surely all these preventative measures are more expensive than if they'd just kept servers!' one commenter said.

Another added: 'Amazing they can afford robot trolleys but can't drop their prices on average food items.'

Meanwhile, a Coles spokesperson defended the use of the trolley lock technology, stating that it is used in selected stores to reduce theft.

'While most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately, a small number don’t,' a Coles spokesperson said.

'Coles has a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS), and in some stores new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products.'

‘Additionally, trolley lock technology has been in place at a number of our stores in recent years, and this technology uses sensors to prevent trolleys from leaving the store if someone hasn’t first paid at a register.’

Key Takeaways

• A Coles customer expressed frustration over the supermarket's anti-theft trolley system following an incident where her trolley became locked due to a security alarm triggered by another shopper.
  • In a viral video, the shopper discussed how the security incident in the self-service area resulted in her purchased groceries being temporarily immobilised, despite being away from the self-checkouts.
  • Coles' anti-theft trolleys are designed with sensors to lock if a customer attempts to leave the store without paying, although a news source understands that smart gate security is not linked to these trolleys.
  • The incident provoked online debate about the effectiveness of Coles' security measures, with some social media users suggesting that such measures could be more costly than the problem they aim to solve.

What are your thoughts on these anti-theft measures? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Think I’ll stick with click & collect. Apparently a lot of shoplifting occurs not because they’re starving but simply because they can which is so infuriating for the rest of us but then I guess buying drugs is a “necessity“ for them. Makes me cross.

Too bad their automatic gates don't like people who use mobility scooters exiting the store! I've lost count of the number of times I've been trapped by them, even though all of my groceries have been paid for...it is highly annoying to say the least!
How insulting for you.

I say bring back human checkout operators.

Hip hip for Coles , all shoppers who shop lift , cause the prices of grosseries to increase,notice no swear words used.
Bring back human checkout operators. They check that all items have been counted for and check bags = no or minimal theft.

Human checkout operators likely don't cost more than all this tech crap coupled with the invaluable cost of reputation loss.

Like everything these days any thing new and they never do testing before releasing to the public one day somebody will be seriously injured

I thought trolley locking was only supposed to be engaged if you left the shopping precinct. Not in the store itself. We have trolleys all over the streets and they are unsightly. Don't abuse disability people with your fancy technology, Coles. That is discrimination in my books. Maybe Coles and Woolies need to look at their policies against people who use mobility aids of which I am about to become one.

Big deal. Another silly TikTok user trying to make a name for themselves.🥱

As it says in the article "It is believed that a random malfunction may have been the cause of this shopper's experience". If that's all it was, why still make a fuss about it?:rolleyes:

Just one step towards totarlerian domination. Big Brother is watching.

Reactions: Annna
Big deal. Another silly TikTok user trying to make a name for themselves.🥱

As it says in the article "It is believed that a random malfunction may have been the cause of this shopper's experience". If that's all it was, why still make a fuss about it?:rolleyes:
Was it a random malfunction or is saying so convenient?

The system should be subjected to quality control trials outside real time shopping hours and excluding bona fide customers.

Locking wheels at a manned checkout when an alarm sounds in the self service area should never happen.

This would be at the least annoying but more likely mortifying to a paying customer (who had clearly paid and was attempting to legitimately exit the store).

A Coles spokesman said “ most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately a small number don’t “
So if it’s a small number Coles was it really worth all the money for your new security measures to inconvenience the majority of your customers ? You made a billion dollar profit you could have absorbed the small number of people who don’t do the right thing, but no you put all this new security stuff in which is a pain in the butt for your honest customers ! You and Woolies badly need more competition in Australia. I for one would never enter either one of your doors! You didn’t even give your customers a choice you took away most of the manned checkouts forcing people to self serve ! You deserve to lose Your good honest customers but as usual we have very little CHOICE .

A Coles spokesman said “ most of our customers do the right thing, unfortunately a small number don’t “
So if it’s a small number Coles was it really worth all the money for your new security measures to inconvenience the majority of your customers ? You made a billion dollar profit you could have absorbed the small number of people who don’t do the right thing, but no you put all this new security stuff in which is a pain in the butt for your honest customers ! You and Woolies badly need more competition in Australia. I for one would never enter either one of your doors! You didn’t even give your customers a choice you took away most of the manned checkouts forcing people to self serve ! You deserve to lose Your good honest customers but as usual we have very little CHOICE .
Agree 👍👍

View attachment 38947

Key Takeaways

My local one doesn't have those things yet. Moons!!! How embarrassing and annoying and not to mention a huge inconvenience and waste of time to be held up by that crap gate.