Coles' new 'Smart Gates' allegedly crush shopper: ‘Yes, it hurt’

The introduction of 'smart gates' at Coles supermarkets has sparked a wave of concern among customers, with some claiming the new security measures are causing harm and creating an unwelcoming shopping environment.

The gates, installed as a high-tech solution to combat a rise in shoplifting, have inadvertently led to distressing incidents, raising questions about the balance between security and customer safety.

In a shocking incident, a Coles shopper using a wheelchair has claimed to have been 'crushed' by the supermarket's new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout area.

This incident has sparked outrage among customers, with many comparing the new security measures to a prison-like environment.

The customer, accompanied by their ten-year-old son, narrated their harrowing experience on social media.

Screenshot 2024-01-17 113430.png
An alleged incident was posted online wherein a Coles shopper was allegedly ‘crushed’ by the supermarket’s new ‘smart gates’ while on a wheelchair. Image: Reddit

They explained that while their son managed to pass through the gates without any issue, the door suddenly closed on them midway.

'Halfway through, the gate slammed shut on me. Hit my arms and stopped my wheelchair,' they wrote.

'Beeping away, it opened after a second and I pushed through. Yes, it hurts. Yes, it scared me silly. No, I'm not injured. No, I don't think it damaged my wheelchair. No, I didn't shoplift.'

They reported the incident to a duty manager at the store, who assured them that someone from management would be in touch.

However, the customer remains sceptical, stating, 'I'll believe it when it happens, but I will be calling every day until SOMEONE tells me how to avoid being crushed next time.'

Coles introduced the 'smart gates' as part of an anti-theft system in September last year, following a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting incidents.

The gates are designed to close and sound an alarm if a discrepancy is detected between items scanned and those placed in bags.

If a suspected thief attempts to leave the store, the wheels on the new high-tech trolleys lock up, effectively preventing their escape.

Previous reports have revealed that even fog machines are being considered as part of the store’s array of security measures.

'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products,' a Coles spokesperson told a news source.

However, the new security measures have been met with widespread criticism from customers.

Many feel that the gates create a claustrophobic, ‘prison-like’ atmosphere; others have reported similar incidents of the doors closing unexpectedly.

One social media user shared: 'One literally snapped shut on our pram as we were pushing our kiddo through.'

Another disgruntled customer expressed their frustration, saying, 'I'm s****y that they close them and you have to wait to get out sometimes because they want to check you didn't steal a $3 lemon. It's turning into a jail rather than a supermarket.'

They also raise important questions about accessibility and safety, particularly for customers with mobility issues or those using wheelchairs or prams.

In late 2023, one of our members shared her experience with Coles’ smart gates.

‘I've often encountered these gates and need staff members to help me leave every time,’ member @Margaret 9 said.

‘I have to use a mobility scooter when shopping, and it is wider than the gates allow! Each time, the gates close either as I reach them or when I'm halfway through them!’

‘I've paid for my purchases each time as I always do, but still these silly gates trap me… until at least two, sometimes four or more, shop attendants can get them open to allow me to leave! NOT HAPPY COLES!’

Coles has defended the new security measures, stating that retail crime is on the rise and that the smart gate technology is just one of several measures being implemented to combat theft.

'The technology has sensors and inbuilt detectors to ensure the gate re-opens automatically to avoid closing on customers,' they said.

However, the recent incident raises serious questions about the accessibility and safety of these measures, particularly for customers with mobility issues.

'We are concerned to hear about this customer's experience, so we are working hard to identify where this happened so we can fully investigate the incident,' they added.

As the incident at Coles demonstrates, there is a delicate balance to be struck between security and customer experience.

Retailers must ensure that their security measures are not only effective in deterring theft, but also safe and accessible for all customers.

Key Takeaways
  • A customer reported being 'crushed' by Coles' new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout in their wheelchair.
  • The smart gates are part of a heightened security system aiming to combat a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting.
  • Customers have expressed anger and discomfort with the gates, some feeling like they are being treated as criminals, with the shopping experience likened to being in jail.
  • Coles has yet to provide an official statement addressing the specific incident, but has previously discussed the rollout of new security measures designed to curb theft.

What are your thoughts on these new security measures? Have you had a similar experience at your local supermarket? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.

Sponsored
The introduction of 'smart gates' at Coles supermarkets has sparked a wave of concern among customers, with some claiming the new security measures are causing harm and creating an unwelcoming shopping environment.

The gates, installed as a high-tech solution to combat a rise in shoplifting, have inadvertently led to distressing incidents, raising questions about the balance between security and customer safety.

In a shocking incident, a Coles shopper using a wheelchair has claimed to have been 'crushed' by the supermarket's new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout area.

This incident has sparked outrage among customers, with many comparing the new security measures to a prison-like environment.

The customer, accompanied by their ten-year-old son, narrated their harrowing experience on social media.

View attachment 39391
An alleged incident was posted online wherein a Coles shopper was allegedly ‘crushed’ by the supermarket’s new ‘smart gates’ while on a wheelchair. Image: Reddit

They explained that while their son managed to pass through the gates without any issue, the door suddenly closed on them midway.

'Halfway through, the gate slammed shut on me. Hit my arms and stopped my wheelchair,' they wrote.

'Beeping away, it opened after a second and I pushed through. Yes, it hurts. Yes, it scared me silly. No, I'm not injured. No, I don't think it damaged my wheelchair. No, I didn't shoplift.'

They reported the incident to a duty manager at the store, who assured them that someone from management would be in touch.

However, the customer remains sceptical, stating, 'I'll believe it when it happens, but I will be calling every day until SOMEONE tells me how to avoid being crushed next time.'

Coles introduced the 'smart gates' as part of an anti-theft system in September last year, following a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting incidents.

The gates are designed to close and sound an alarm if a discrepancy is detected between items scanned and those placed in bags.

If a suspected thief attempts to leave the store, the wheels on the new high-tech trolleys lock up, effectively preventing their escape.

Previous reports have revealed that even fog machines are being considered as part of the store’s array of security measures.

'We know that retail crime is on the increase across all retailers, and we have a range of security measures in place to reduce theft from our stores including CCTV, electronic article surveillance (EAS) and in some stores, new smart gate technology that automatically opens as customers make payment for their products,' a Coles spokesperson told a news source.

However, the new security measures have been met with widespread criticism from customers.

Many feel that the gates create a claustrophobic, ‘prison-like’ atmosphere; others have reported similar incidents of the doors closing unexpectedly.

One social media user shared: 'One literally snapped shut on our pram as we were pushing our kiddo through.'

Another disgruntled customer expressed their frustration, saying, 'I'm s****y that they close them and you have to wait to get out sometimes because they want to check you didn't steal a $3 lemon. It's turning into a jail rather than a supermarket.'

They also raise important questions about accessibility and safety, particularly for customers with mobility issues or those using wheelchairs or prams.

‘I've often encountered these gates and need staff members to help me leave every time,’ member @Margaret 9 said.

‘I have to use a mobility scooter when shopping, and it is wider than the gates allow! Each time, the gates close either as I reach them or when I'm halfway through them!’

‘I've paid for my purchases each time as I always do, but still these silly gates trap me… until at least two, sometimes four or more, shop attendants can get them open to allow me to leave! NOT HAPPY COLES!’

Coles has defended the new security measures, stating that retail crime is on the rise and that the smart gate technology is just one of several measures being implemented to combat theft.

'The technology has sensors and inbuilt detectors to ensure the gate re-opens automatically to avoid closing on customers,' they said.

However, the recent incident raises serious questions about the accessibility and safety of these measures, particularly for customers with mobility issues.

'We are concerned to hear about this customer's experience, so we are working hard to identify where this happened so we can fully investigate the incident,' they added.

As the incident at Coles demonstrates, there is a delicate balance to be struck between security and customer experience.

Retailers must ensure that their security measures are not only effective in deterring theft, but also safe and accessible for all customers.

Key Takeaways

• A customer reported being 'crushed' by Coles' new 'smart gates' while exiting the self-serve checkout in their wheelchair.
  • The smart gates are part of a heightened security system aiming to combat a 20 per cent increase in shoplifting.
  • Customers have expressed anger and discomfort with the gates, some feeling like they are being treated as criminals, with the shopping experience likened to being in jail.
  • Coles has yet to provide an official statement addressing the specific incident, but has previously discussed the rollout of new security measures designed to curb theft.

What are your thoughts on these new security measures? Have you had a similar experience at your local supermarket? Share your thoughts and experiences in the comments below.
At the end of the day the security measures in place are due to theft!! I think you were supposed to wait until the gates shut then opened again...I am at a loss why you didn't ask for help PRIOR...as for the ridiculous comments about being prison like and knowing your scooter was too wide..use common sense next time, if you feel it's prison like then is someone feeling a little guilty??hmmm

God help shoppers in the event of an emergency such as a fire and the gates lock preventing a safe exit.
And what would happen in the event of a power failure? Has any thought been given to these possibilities??

View attachment 39391

Key Takeaways

These anti-theft devices, if they are successful, result in cheaper prices for all. If they result in a little inconvenience for some then so be it. I agree with Coles implementing what ever is needed to stop theft. Maybe the punishment for theft should be more severe to stop theft.

The article stated.. "The gates are designed to close and sound an alarm if a discrepancy is detected between items scanned and those placed in bags".

Surely this is a wrong concept, where if the first (or any item) was not scanned but placed directly into a bag, that it should be the scanner that picks up this error, or attempted theft, and not the gates.

However, if the customer has a trolley, with other personal bags, along with the filled Coles bags, and items had been placed in a shoppers personal bags, or left in the trolley and not scanned, then this is what the gates could be detecting.

I think the gates do have a role to play in helping to detect theft. As a rule, whenever I shop, I always make a rule of getting my receipt as proof that what I am taking from the store is what I have paid for.

View attachment 39391

Key Takeaways

I don’t think you have actually stolen anything until you completely exit the store not just a particular section of the store so surely having gates anywhere except at the store exit points is kind of a waste of time and money. I could be wrong but I don’t think you can be accused of stealing anything just because you leave the self-serve area but remain in the store, especially if you’ve forgotten to buy something and double back to pick it up. Interesting to see what would happen if you contested the accusations.

I don’t think you have actually stolen anything until you completely exit the store not just a particular section of the store so surely having gates anywhere except at the store exit points is kind of a waste of time and money. I could be wrong but I don’t think you can be accused of stealing anything just because you leave the self-serve area but remain in the store, especially if you’ve forgotten to buy something and double back to pick it up. Interesting to see what would happen if you contested the accusations.
These gates are ONLY at the exit after the self serve checkout, so you've shown intent by not presenting all items to pay. So yes you could be stopped and questioned.

God help shoppers in the event of an emergency such as a fire and the gates lock preventing a safe exit.
And what would happen in the event of a power failure? Has any thought been given to these possibilities??
The self serve is not the only exit.
Why do people with mobility scooters, etc keep on insisting on trying to go through them and then complain of getting stuck.
In this ladies case, surely.common sense would tell you that you wait for the.gates to shut and then reopen.
What would be the sense in having gates that let two or three people through at the same time, that would defeat the purpose of having them.
Dah!!
Those who say it feels like a prison have obviously never been in a prison. And no I have not been incarcerated, but I did have need to visit once. I assure you it's nothing like a supermarket. Such a stupid comment.
Why don't people stop bellyaching, do their shopping, go home and have a nice cuppa and stop stressing themselves out making a storm in a teacup. Must have nothing better to do.

Both federal & state govt's are staging token hearings requiring exec staff to attend and face the hearing (toothless tigers at best). These anti theft measure are just going to be part of the answers provided. If theft has increased then those losses are made up by the honest customers. Not any different to every govt levied taxes paid by those that can afford to subsides the lifestyle(s) of welfare recipients that take take take. Don't like the measures then don't shop there. End of story.

View attachment 39391

Key Takeaways

I might be old-fashioned, but I reckon retailers should; Instead of wasting money on expensive high-tech stuff, they should put on more staff - to parade the aisles, liaise with customers, help customers find stuff, check/tidy up stock, serve at checkouts, bag items purchased, and so on. This would reduce unemployment and make customers feel like they are in a “store“ - instead of a big machine...

I might be old-fashioned, but I reckon retailers should; Instead of wasting money on expensive high-tech stuff, they should put on more staff - to parade the aisles, liaise with customers, help customers find stuff, check/tidy up stock, serve at checkouts, bag items purchased, and so on. This would reduce unemployment and make customers feel like they are in a “store“ - instead of a big machine...
So long as you're prepared to pay for the extra cost of wages. This includes the payroll tax paid to states, employer superannuation contribution, paid leave entitlement, all of which comes from the margin applied on goods they stock. Technology like these gates are a one off cost, staffing is ongoing.

There is another way to avoid these security gates. Go through a manned checkout. I don't use the self service checkouts. I have used them before and each time something has gone wrong and I have had 1 and sometimes 2 people helping me. The supermarkets up here in Capalaba have 1 maybe 2 manned checkouts and usually there is a line up at both. That is when they call for more checkout operators. KMart does the same. If we all stand in line and block the thoroughfare sooner or later they powers that be will realise they need people on the checkouts. I don't like being perceived as a thief, it's quite degrading. That is what these supermarkets do

So long as you're prepared to pay for the extra cost of wages. This includes the payroll tax paid to states, employer superannuation contribution, paid leave entitlement, all of which comes from the margin applied on goods they stock. Technology like these gates are a one off cost, staffing is ongoing.
What about the service and repairs to this technology? This is not free

People who have never been in business only think about "surface"
and simplistic answers.
All the aisles are marked as to what stock is in each aisle and if you can't find something you just have to go to the front counter and ask.
I have a friend who works in Coles and I mentioned to her that they needed more manned checkouts.
She said that since the pandemic, like a lot of other businesses, they are having trouble getting staff. She also said staff have become picky and choosy about what shifts they want to do.
People should be glad.to have a.job.

View attachment 39391

Key Takeaways

Get rid of self-service and shoplifting will drop. Will we see airport-type body scanners next?

View attachment 39391

Key Takeaways

Coles could go a long way towards rectifying the shopstealing problem by putting human eyes on not off !!!

People who have never been in business only think about "surface"
and simplistic answers.
All the aisles are marked as to what stock is in each aisle and if you can't find something you just have to go to the front counter and ask.
I have a friend who works in Coles and I mentioned to her that they needed more manned checkouts.
She said that since the pandemic, like a lot of other businesses, they are having trouble getting staff. She also said staff have become picky and choosy about what shifts they want to do.
People should be glad.to have a.job.
I agree with your comment @mylittletibbies.

“….said that since the pandemic, like a lot of other businesses, they are having trouble getting staff. She also said staff have become picky and choosy about what shifts they want to do.”

My daughter, working in retail, has said the very same thing.

The complete issue is about Coles and other companies' BOTTOM LINE. If the federal government got off its A*s and did what it said they would do, then there would not be as much theft.

Reactions: Jarred Santos