Coles' new Flybuys policy aims to ease financial burden for shoppers

As the cost of living rises, many Australians feel the pinch when managing their household budgets.

Amid the crisis, good news is on the horizon for savvy shoppers.

One of the country's leading supermarkets announced a new initiative that could significantly reduce your weekly spending.

Coles introduced the $10 Flybuys redeem scheme, a program designed to provide immediate relief to Australians facing budget stress.

This initiative allows Flybuys members to save $10 off their next in-store purchase at Coles supermarkets, Liquorland, and First Choice Market stores.

Flybuys members need at least 2000 Flybuys points in their account to use this offer.

Once shoppers hit the 2000-point mark, they will be eligible to redeem the $10 discount.

compressed-coles.jpeg
Coles shoppers can now shave off $10 off their bill thanks to the FlyBuys redemption scheme. Image Credit: Shutterstock/Doublelee

Before applying the discount, shoppers must spend a minimum of $10 in-store.

The discount is not a one-off; shoppers can use it once a day in each of the three stores.

That means if you're a member with 6000 points, you could enjoy a $10 discount at Coles, then head over to Liquorland and First Choice Market to redeem another $10 at each store on the same day.

The scheme had successful trials in selected states and is now rolled out to stores nationwide.

Flybuys members can earn points on purchases at various stores, including Coles, Coles Express, First Choice Liquor Market, Kmart, Liquorland, Officeworks, Target, and mycar.

Once members reach 2000 points, they can convert them into Flybuys Dollars at checkout.

The new scheme simplifies the process, allowing points to be redeemed instantly without conversion.

For those who need to reach the 2000-point mark, Coles offers bonus points on selected items to help you get there faster.

Shoppers can earn 10-times bonus points on all mince meat purchases until Tuesday, June 11.

Shoppers can also earn 10-times bonus points on a selected range of grocery items until Tuesday, June 25.

Additionally, customers can claim 5-times bonus points on cold and flu medicine like Panadol, Nurofen, Betadine, Vicks, Difflam, Swisse, and Cenovis until July 23.

Coles' Chief Customer Officer Amanda McVay expressed the company's commitment to helping customers manage their budgets effectively.

'We know making the most out of their weekly shop through Flybuys is important to our customers,' McVay said.

'We are excited to offer an instant $10 off for in-store purchases to give them a simpler way to redeem points at the checkout.'

'Millions of Flybuys members currently hold balances of more than 2,000 points, and we're making it easier than ever for them to redeem these points for money off their in-store shop,' she concluded.

Loyalty programs offer more than just points; they can provide real benefits that keep finances in check.

This new Flybuys redemption scheme is a welcome development for Australians looking to ease their budget concerns.

So, next time you're at Coles or one of the participating stores, swipe your Flybuys card and take a step towards a more affordable shopping experience.
Key Takeaways

• Coles rolled out an instant $10 discount scheme for Flybuys members, alleviating the cost-of-living pressures faced by Australians.
  • The $10 discount can be redeemed once a day at Coles supermarkets, Liquorland, and First Choice Market stores, subject to a minimum in-store spend of $10.
  • Coles' Chief Customer Officer Amanda McVay emphasised the importance of the Flybuys program to customers and the benefit of redeeming these points at checkout.
  • The promotional period includes a bonus Flybuys points offer on select grocery items and cold and flu medicine during the specified time frames.
Have you taken advantage of Coles' new Flybuys redeem scheme? Share your experiences and money-saving tips with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Coles system is so antiquated. Yes you can get $10 off immediately, but if you want to use more than that it's a process. You have to go into your flybuys account and load an amount into your card with a pin. Then you need to bring the actual card to use, not from your phone.

As they say you can get bonus points.
I'm currently working on getting 10000 points (=$50) by spending $60 a week for 4 weeks. Easy peasy. You just have to go into your account and see what the offers are.
Woolworths do it too, but I find they want you to spend a lot more each week to get bonus points.
My experience with Woolworths is that it is a LOT easier to accrue points than it is at Coles. Also, Woolworths allows you to redeem the points online which is a big help for those of us who have difficulty shopping in-store... Coles doesn't allow that.

Just another way of getting people to use their points that are supposed to NEVER EXPIRE. All along they have complained about those who save their points up and even sporadically send emails to encourage those to use them so having this policy means they are essentially forcing the use of points unless you opt out (which should be available if it isn't). Besides $10 off a trolley full is nothing really just a small amount of help, as their prices are atrocious.

• Haha
Reactions: siameezer and Gsr
I don't think this is Coles giving shoppers any help with their cost of living, it has been part of flybuys points use since forever. The difference now is the staff or register offers it as soon as you reach 2000 points. If you use it every time you reach 2000 points it stops you from saving your points to redeem at more different businesses or for gift cards. So it is Coles way of getting you to always redeem your points in their stores.

Reactions: Tervueren
I like to save my points to shop with at Xmas so for me the constant "would you like to deduct $10 using your points" question at the checkout is a major pain in the proverbial. Luckily I have discovered that you can go in and change the setting for this on the fly buys app and save your points until YOU are ready to redeem them.

I have to say these companies are smart. I received the Same offer of 10000 bonus points but I only need to spend $80 per week for 4 weeks to get it. I don’t spend alot at Coles so they give me a lower spend amount. Since they know you spend a lot they made the spend alot higher for the bonus
I worked that out awhile ago when my daughters started collecting points

10% off already inflated prices..... no thank you very much........ try 30% or 40% that leaves them 10% and their pricing becomes more realistic.

this is not news I have always used this system - you can choose to use it once you accrue the 2000 points against the shop or bank it to your flyby card to use whenever you want to.

The staff ask me if I want to have the $10.00 taken off when I have enough points. Shopping for a family I would imagine the points add up fairly quickly

Reactions: mylittletibbies