Coles' major update is set to change your shopping experience

If you’re a regular Coles shopper, your trip to your local branch may be set to look a little different, with the supermarket giant confirming a major change coming to select stores nationwide.

Coles has revealed that new stores will install glass doors on chilled sections like meat, cheese and milk. While this may take some adjusting for shoppers, Coles insists the change will be positive for both customers and the environment.

So, what exactly is behind this new initiative? A Coles spokesperson explained that adding doors to fridges helps significantly reduce energy consumption by over 20 per cent.

This is because the doors form a seal, constantly preventing cool air from escaping whenever a customer grabs an item.

Supermarkets use vast amounts of electricity to run the many fridges needed to keep food fresh and safe, so this update will help Coles achieve its sustainability goals.

Screenshot 2023-10-19 at 1.14.05 PM.png
A Coles shopper shared this image of the new chilled section glass doors on social media. Credit: Reddit.

In the photographs, you can see that entire walls of glass doors have been added in front of shelves. Shoppers now need to open these doors to access items like yogurt, butter, and other chilled products.

The only section that won't have doors is the one containing fresh produce such as fruits and vegetables.

Early feedback on social media shows many customers support the change, recognising the environmental benefits.

In a previous article, member @Trudi commented: 'Having glass doors on chilled sections means less electricity is used to keep things cold. So it's a good thing.'

Member @Marj53 also suggested, 'Could be a good idea if they have a staff member standing there to help people who can't reach things on a higher shelf.'

However, some wonder if the doors could become annoying when doing big shops, having to open and close them frequently.

Concerns were also raised for people with disabilities or mobility issues.

According to member @Margaret 9, shopping behind glass doors was 'extremely difficult' for them. They said: 'I use a mobility scooter when shopping. It is the only way I can get around the stores.'

'It's hard enough when I have to get products from high or very low shelves; I have to find a customer service person to assist me,' they added.

This move from Coles comes after it was reported that Woolworths and ALDI would place glass doors on their chilled aisles to reduce their energy footprint.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has confirmed a major change in its new stores where it will install glass doors on its refrigerated aisles.
  • Adding doors on fridges is expected to cut refrigeration energy consumption by over 20 per cent.
  • The move is part of Coles' sustainability plans and has met some positive responses from shoppers. However, concerns were also raised.
  • This change comes after similar trials and plans announced by Woolworths and ALDI earlier this year to reduce their energy footprints.

Members, what are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think having glass doors in supermarket chilled aisles would be a hindrance? Or is it a good step towards being more environmentally friendly? Let us know in the comments below!

Sponsored
If you’re a regular Coles shopper, your trip to your local branch may be set to look a little different, with the supermarket giant confirming a major change coming to select stores nationwide.

Coles has revealed that new stores will install glass doors on chilled sections like meat, cheese and milk. While this may take some adjusting for shoppers, Coles insists the change will be positive for both customers and the environment.

So, what exactly is behind this new initiative? A Coles spokesperson explained that adding doors to fridges helps significantly reduce energy consumption by over 20 per cent.

This is because the doors form a seal, constantly preventing cool air from escaping whenever a customer grabs an item.

Supermarkets use vast amounts of electricity to run the many fridges needed to keep food fresh and safe, so this update will help Coles achieve its sustainability goals.

View attachment 32646
A Coles shopper shared this image of the new chilled section glass doors on social media. Credit: Reddit.

In the photographs, you can see that entire walls of glass doors have been added in front of shelves. Shoppers now need to open these doors to access items like yogurt, butter, and other chilled products.

The only section that won't have doors is the one containing fresh produce such as fruits and vegetables.

Early feedback on social media shows many customers support the change, recognising the environmental benefits.

In a previous article, member @Trudi commented: 'Having glass doors on chilled sections means less electricity is used to keep things cold. So it's a good thing.'

Member @Marj53 also suggested, 'Could be a good idea if they have a staff member standing there to help people who can't reach things on a higher shelf.'

However, some wonder if the doors could become annoying when doing big shops, having to open and close them frequently.

According to member @Margaret 9, shopping behind glass doors was 'extremely difficult' for them. They said: 'I use a mobility scooter when shopping. It is the only way I can get around the stores.'

'It's hard enough when I have to get products from high or very low shelves; I have to find a customer service person to assist me,' they added.

This move from Coles comes after it was reported that Woolworths and ALDI would place glass doors on their chilled aisles to reduce their energy footprint.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has confirmed a major change in its new stores where it will install glass doors on its refrigerated aisles.
  • Adding doors on fridges is expected to cut refrigeration energy consumption by over 20 per cent.
  • The move is part of Coles' sustainability plans and has met some positive responses from shoppers. However, concerns were also raised.
  • This change comes after similar trials and plans announced by Woolworths and ALDI earlier this year to reduce their energy footprints.

Members, what are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think having glass doors in supermarket chilled aisles would be a hindrance? Or is it a good step towards being more environmentally friendly? Let us know in the comments below!
What a great idea, we all need to try to reduce our power usage. Well done Coles

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

The doors I have no problem with as I can always ask for help by any staff member, but what I have a massive, big problem is being forced to use the self-serve area. Went shopping at Lithgow Coles yesterday afternoon. And guess what - ALL staff check-outs were CLOSED. I was not impressed having my freedom of choice taken away from me. I know I sound "privilege" & "whinge", but its my choice not theirs.

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

Definitely a hindrance for me as I can’t reach the high shelves. Coles I think you may lose me, but we’ll see.

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

Less expense in electricity do will be looking forward to cheaper groceries as a result in them passing power savings to us. Good move Coles!!!

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

As I've already mentioned on previous occasions, glass doors are great PROVIDED there is an easily accessible staff member nearby who can assist those of us with disability to access the products they wish to purchase! The glass doors already in existence in the freezer aisle make shopping extremely difficult for those of us reliant on mobility scooters or other devices!

The doors I have no problem with as I can always ask for help by any staff member, but what I have a massive, big problem is being forced to use the self-serve area. Went shopping at Lithgow Coles yesterday afternoon. And guess what - ALL staff check-outs were CLOSED. I was not impressed having my freedom of choice taken away from me. I know I sound "privilege" & "whinge", but its my choice not theirs.
you don't sound 'privileged' or a 'whinger'. It is another way of 'controlling us' I have been into my local Coles on numerous occasions and the only staff checkout open is the 12 or less which can have a big queue of people with trolleys full or just one other open. If that happened to me - only self-serve check outs open I would be looking for the manager & if they still didn't open a check out I would leave him with my trolley of items and try another supermarket. I have never used a self-serve nor do I intend to. At the moment if I can't reach items on a shelf I will ask a shopper who is taller than me or staff if there is one around. I have no problems with doors but lets STOP all this garbage about getting to Zero. Yes it will keep things cooler and will cut down on the cost of electricity which 'should' cut down on cost of items.

I would have left my trolley load there at the unmanned checkout and left.
I had a similar experience in Coles once. It was early in the morning, only one checkout was open and that was the express one. I was told to go through the self serve as I had too many items for the express lane. This was despite the fact there were no other customers behind me.
I told the checkout girl she could either serve me or put my trolley load back, she served me!!

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

What photographs?….

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

Members, what are your thoughts on these changes? Do you think having glass doors in supermarket chilled aisles would be a hindrance? Or is it a good step towards being more environmentally friendly? Let us know in the comments

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

what photographs?..

View attachment 32646

Key Takeaways

What photographs?.

You have every right to not be impressed .. we barely shop at Coles or Woolworths for that reason .. no customer service I have left the items there and gone elsewhere Woolworths is no better . If more people refuse to serve themselves Coles & Woolworths will get the message . I worked at coles for several years I had a 28 hr contract self serves were installed my contract hrs went to 12 .. I resigned & returned to aged care .we shop at Aldi & iga both give great customer service

Should have left it in the trolley and gone to Woolworths?

Good idea. At least you won't feel like you're walking into the South Pole in the aisles of the chiller section.
Yes, it is freezing down the length of the current chiller isles. When fully introduced by all supermarkets I hope it is going to do the job it is meant to do - keep our carbon footprint down. My husband always takes something warm to wear as most supermarkets are generally quite cool and definitely cold in the chiller sections.

If we are asked by someone to reach something on a supermarket shelf we have no hesitation doing so. It costs us nothing to help.

And to those who say they leave things at the self-serve checkouts because they don’t like being watched by security cameras - think again. Anything cold you leave behind, anywhere in the store, is just thrown out because staff do not know how long it has been lying there. That leads to prices going up due to loss by the store, which you and me, the customers are eventually paying for.