Coles launches a new ‘trolley parking bay’ at self-serve checkouts – do YOU approve of the change?

Coles happily rolled out a new feature at certain stores across Australia, promising to improve its customers’ self-serve checkout experience… The catch is that thousands of shoppers aren’t exactly keen about the move. Which side are you on?

In a TikTok video, the supermarket giant demonstrated how to use its latest addition – self-serve checkouts with conveyor belts complete with designated parking spaces for your trolley. They can be found in over 200 stores.

A spokesperson for Coles detailed that the new checkout feature makes it easier to transfer items from a trolley that’s fully loaded with groceries onto the conveyor belt.

‘At Coles, we are always looking for ways to help customers complete their shop with greater convenience.’ they said.

‘The new feature is available at more than 200 stores across Australia. We are also lowering the shelf height at all basket self-checkouts. This will help customers who prefer self-serve checkouts and have fewer items park their trolleys easier.’

IjL2LXMs1LMBuArXD0MC7TLQH-11H1QKWUm-7rjgjuM1ScN4BFnKrrdlJQAwNjPdSpv9WpEzlPHC_m2YsypGR0YrwVJbpci5bYQAiC5inDj61C2v99uRDg_dy2t7DP-ThA5DxNqK0gqQsY2Pg9hMq0p3RpYc0OoLdGLpbOQ2jvvP-__F5NnevpLxdQ
0cAFscajJyeYTLPpVDsmWZvAAxnT1nsuRu1fR4HHd9-blgr_aXbhsFb2eKsouHxYRcS0CUCa2bm81HcYfKaUN60MTJI2aYAL3K98IS35vWF9zQWVDHUrkqcHztYZbe1zyh7Omflyb9D2-6MFyypSi4ZZthpxcm0sdhuMr7feKXpJ9fLkasBWgw_fKg

Coles unveiled their new trolley feature. Source: @colessupermarkets

The TikTok video amassed 270,000 views in the span of a few days and hundreds of shoppers were quick to flood the comments with mixed reviews.

Many supported the idea, with one saying: ‘Keep it up, Coles!’

‘These are the best checkouts!’ praised another.

One more chimed: ‘I love these! I always want to use self-serve checkouts but the old ones are not trolley-friendly.’

But the other half slammed self-serve checkouts in general and asserted their preference for manned checkouts.

‘I just want the normal checkouts again but there is never any staff manning them. The self-serve checkouts get way too chaotic.’ a user complained.

‘Coles, you’re going to have to start paying the customers. We’re basically your employees now!’ another declared.

8LjOeYNGop-8tW53xjRdRNnrCllJBpjSmXUdMTZpOZwlEjQOuN2qDg7bgPLj5KG88uXWqr4i_gH0xy82n8ofpqTA8an54MqoGIbhuXyARP-_fTvYL7bN7H74onH-qrwjuf4DUSOJOCKx94bqh9mGkTnnjsxj-9OA-XTBzeSukh8xNZFa06NIF-1Avw

Not everyone was excited about the change. Source: Yahoo! News

A third said: ‘Or you could just work on improving normal checkouts… Wouldn't that be a swell idea?’ to which Coles’ official TikTok account responded: ‘Why not have both?’

A former employee of the mega-retailer claimed: ‘It’s just another way to reduce the team members. I used to work for Coles and this was their cost reduction strategy.’

What are your thoughts about this new trolley feature? Are you in favour of it? Let us know in the comments!

Watch the full TikTok video below:

Source: @colessupermarkets

Sponsored
I used this new self serve and is much better

I have no problem with self serve and is great to get in and out when you are in a hurry.

If I have a problem there is always a staff member standing by.

For the rare time I do a large shop in store then it is using a register with a real person.

I live in Sydney and a busy area of Sydney so shops are always busy and most registers have a checkout person so self serve is much appreciated.

However it would be a different story in less populated and rural areas .

Reactions: Zoya and Ricci
Great to have a choice but still need to "man" adequate checkouts. Many are school aged youth who can earn and the Supermarket pay a lower wage. Win win.
Sick of seeing only 2 checkouts and having to line up behind up to six other shoppers with loaded trlolleys.

Why don't they just roster on more staff.
Was shopping early morning, had about 20 items, the person in front of me had 2 trolleys full, yes 2 full trolleys. There was only one checkout open.
I went to the express lane and was told to go to self serve as she (the manager, I presume) didn't have anymore staff as yet.
I told her she could either serve me herself or keep their goods.
She did serve me, though not happily.
I could not believe they only had one staff on, it was about 8.45am.

I really enjoy using these checkouts as I can pack my items as I want them packed and don’t end up with broken biscuits and smashed eggs and fruit

Reactions: ElleJay and Ricci
Coles happily rolled out a new feature at certain stores across Australia, promising to improve its customers’ self-serve checkout experience… The catch is that thousands of shoppers aren’t exactly keen about the move. Which side are you on?

In a TikTok video, the supermarket giant demonstrated how to use its latest addition – self-serve checkouts with conveyor belts complete with designated parking spaces for your trolley. They can be found in over 200 stores.

A spokesperson for Coles detailed that the new checkout feature makes it easier to transfer items from a trolley that’s fully loaded with groceries onto the conveyor belt.

‘At Coles, we are always looking for ways to help customers complete their shop with greater convenience.’ they said.

‘The new feature is available at more than 200 stores across Australia. We are also lowering the shelf height at all basket self-checkouts. This will help customers who prefer self-serve checkouts and have fewer items park their trolleys easier.’

IjL2LXMs1LMBuArXD0MC7TLQH-11H1QKWUm-7rjgjuM1ScN4BFnKrrdlJQAwNjPdSpv9WpEzlPHC_m2YsypGR0YrwVJbpci5bYQAiC5inDj61C2v99uRDg_dy2t7DP-ThA5DxNqK0gqQsY2Pg9hMq0p3RpYc0OoLdGLpbOQ2jvvP-__F5NnevpLxdQ
0cAFscajJyeYTLPpVDsmWZvAAxnT1nsuRu1fR4HHd9-blgr_aXbhsFb2eKsouHxYRcS0CUCa2bm81HcYfKaUN60MTJI2aYAL3K98IS35vWF9zQWVDHUrkqcHztYZbe1zyh7Omflyb9D2-6MFyypSi4ZZthpxcm0sdhuMr7feKXpJ9fLkasBWgw_fKg

The TikTok video amassed 270,000 views in the span of a few days and hundreds of shoppers were quick to flood the comments with mixed reviews.

One more chimed: ‘I love these! I always want to use self-serve checkouts but the old ones are not trolley-friendly.’

But the other half slammed self-serve checkouts in general and asserted their preference for manned checkouts.

‘I just want the normal checkouts again but there is never any staff manning them. The self-serve checkouts get way too chaotic.’ a user complained.

‘Coles, you’re going to have to start paying the customers. We’re basically your employees now!’ another declared.

8LjOeYNGop-8tW53xjRdRNnrCllJBpjSmXUdMTZpOZwlEjQOuN2qDg7bgPLj5KG88uXWqr4i_gH0xy82n8ofpqTA8an54MqoGIbhuXyARP-_fTvYL7bN7H74onH-qrwjuf4DUSOJOCKx94bqh9mGkTnnjsxj-9OA-XTBzeSukh8xNZFa06NIF-1Avw

A third said: ‘Or you could just work on improving normal checkouts… Wouldn't that be a swell idea?’ to which Coles’ official TikTok account responded: ‘Why not have both?’

A former employee of the mega-retailer claimed: ‘It’s just another way to reduce the team members. I used to work for Coles and this was their cost reduction strategy.’

What are your thoughts about this new trolley feature? Are you in favour of it? Let us know in the comments!

This is the reason people are unemployed as once again these greedy giant companies increase their profits at our expense. They get rid of staff and make us check out our own shopping - without paying us? Not even a discount on our shopping for doing this ourselves? Rude much? And those who support this greed are just as guilty. If you really want to help Australia and fellow Aussies, refuse to do this work for free for these companies.

I was shopping at a bigger Coles supermarket recently and they only had self serve checkouts open. I had a big shop and I am an older person, so I just stood there until eventually a staff member asked me if I needed some help. I told her that I couldn’t use those checkouts, she then got a staff person to put it through for me. I don’t like the path that supermarkets are taking with self serve checkouts, unless I am going to get a good discount, even then I still don’t want to work for my groceries.

Sorry, but I don't quite get it. Does the belt scan as the items go along? What about produce that is sold by weight or numbers? Does the belt scan the bar code and if so, what if it can't see the code? So many questions!

Also, I agree that this will put more staff out of work and continue to de-humanise the experience.

If it could scan the shopper as well, it could cut down on shoplifting, which is always welcome.

Last edited:
Why don't they just roster on more staff.
Was shopping early morning, had about 20 items, the person in front of me had 2 trolleys full, yes 2 full trolleys. There was only one checkout open.
I went to the express lane and was told to go to self serve as she (the manager, I presume) didn't have anymore staff as yet.
I told her she could either serve me herself or keep their goods.
She did serve me, though not happily.
I could not believe they only had one staff on, it was about 8.45am.
Rosters are based on the busy times. It is not often large trolleys come through at that time. Most stores have register trained staff who can come and assist if this happens, but cant afford the extra staff just on the off chance of this happening. It is frustrating but rostering is a complicated thing for most large stores.

Sorry, I am not a paid employee of Coles so I will ALWAYS use a checkout with a real person to serve me. I like to think that my choice is also providing employment to that person.

If you are so focused on customer service open up all of the normal registers with your staff. I refuse to use self-serve checkouts

I'm hearing the same complaint.
Not enough staff on checkouts.
At Coles last week only 1 checkout was available and that was the express 15 items one. I had a few more groceries than that, and was ready for an argument, but I was allowed through. Luckily there were not a great deal of customers in store at the time.
Like the others here who've said so, I refuse to use the self serve section. I have time to wait if necessary- I'm retired. And I do believe that the self serve concept is there to reduce staff costs. What else?

Sorry, but I don't quite get it. Does the belt scan as the items go along? What about produce that is sold by weight or numbers? Does the belt scan the bar code and if so, what if it can't see the code? So many questions!

Also, I agree that this will put more staff out of work and continue to de-humanise the experience.

If it could scan the shopper as well, it could cut down on shoplifting, which is always welcome.
They are like a manned checkout, the belt is just to put your items on. Then you scan them through yourself. It is just a self serve checkout, but bigger for trolley loads.

Sorry, I am not a paid employee of Coles so I will ALWAYS use a checkout with a real person to serve me. I like to think that my choice is also providing employment to that person.
So when you go to the servo, does any one serve you? No, you serve yourself. What is the difference?

Reactions: Ricci