Coles delivery driver sparks outrage online after ‘disgusting’ act

Car parks designated for disabled drivers exist to ensure those with mobility issues can easily access essential services, such as doctor's surgeries.

You may also expect delivery drivers to be responsible when driving and parking in our neighbourhoods. The last thing we expect is for them to take away vital parking spaces from those who need it most.

But one Coles delivery driver broke the rules in a shocking way that left people stunned.

A photo was taken showing a delivery truck belonging to Coles that was parked illegally in front of a doctor's surgery in a residential suburb in Melbourne.

The poster said the parking space was supposed to be used by a ‘poor person’ to attend his appointment at the nearby Deepdene Surgery, which was located on the corner of Pretoria Street and behind the truck.

In the photo, a sign was seen in front of the truck, which indicated that the space is a ‘mail zone’ from 4.30 to 5.30 pm. At other times, the space is used for vehicles with valid parking permits.

No one knew how long the truck parked in the spot, and the driver was not in the vehicle.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 8.10.11 AM.png
A Coles truck parked in front of a doctor’s surgery in a Melbourne suburb. Credit: Facebook

The poster said, ‘How long [have] Coles and “Nicole” had disabled parking?’

The photo quickly gained traction on social media, with the move claimed as ‘disgusting’ online.

One person commented, 'Coles, this is disgusting.’

Another said in the comments that Coles should ‘do better’.

Coles confirmed that they were investigating the incident after it got to their attention.

'All Coles Online delivery drivers undergo extensive training, and we ensure they know that the standard road rules apply—including where to park when delivering groceries,' a spokesperson for the supermarket said.

'We are working to investigate this incident and will provide further education where needed to ensure this doesn’t happen again,’ they added.

However, this wasn’t the first time a Coles truck driver did this act. In a previous story, an onlooker took photos of a Coles truck parking in one of the designated disabled parking slots outside a daycare centre in Perth. Read more about the story here.

In Victoria, drivers caught parking in a disabled parking bay without a valid disability parking permit will be charged with an infringement notice of $182. It was unclear, however, if the Coles truck driver had an exemption to park in the disabled parking spot.

People with Disability Australia CEO Sebastian Zagarella said that it was crucial that people should respect disabled parking bays and that the areas around them should be fully accessible.

Key Takeaways
  • A Coles delivery driver has sparked controversy by parking in a disabled bay outside a doctor's surgery in Melbourne.
  • The incident, which was captured in a photograph and shared on social media, resulted in outrage and calls for Coles to 'do better'.
  • A Coles spokesperson confirmed it is investigating the incident, saying that all Coles Online delivery drivers undergo extensive training, including where to park when delivering groceries.
  • In Victoria, drivers caught parked in a disabled parking bay without a valid disability parking permit face an infringement notice of $182.

What can you say about the story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!

• Angry
Reactions: Liz and Sockjoan
Sponsored
Car parks designated for disabled drivers exist to ensure those with mobility issues can easily access essential services, such as doctor's surgeries.

You may also expect delivery drivers to be responsible when driving and parking in our neighbourhoods. The last thing we expect is for them to take away vital parking spaces from those who need it most.

But one Coles delivery driver broke the rules in a shocking way that left people stunned.

A photo was taken showing a delivery truck belonging to Coles that was parked illegally in front of a doctor's surgery in a residential suburb in Melbourne.

The poster said the parking space was supposed to be used by a ‘poor person’ to attend his appointment at the nearby Deepdene Surgery, which was located on the corner of Pretoria Street and behind the truck.

In the photo, a sign was seen in front of the truck, which indicated that the space is a ‘mail zone’ from 4.30 to 5.30 pm. At other times, the space is used for vehicles with valid parking permits.

No one knew how long the truck parked in the spot, and the driver was not in the vehicle.

View attachment 33780
A Coles truck parked in front of a doctor’s surgery in a Melbourne suburb. Credit: Facebook

The poster said, ‘How long [have] Coles and “Nicole” had disabled parking?’

The photo quickly gained traction on social media, with the move claimed as ‘disgusting’ online.

One person commented, 'Coles, this is disgusting.’

Another said in the comments that Coles should ‘do better’.

Coles confirmed that they were investigating the incident after it got to their attention.

'All Coles Online delivery drivers undergo extensive training, and we ensure they know that the standard road rules apply—including where to park when delivering groceries,' a spokesperson for the supermarket said.

'We are working to investigate this incident and will provide further education where needed to ensure this doesn’t happen again,’ they added.

However, this wasn’t the first time a Coles truck driver did this act. In a previous story, an onlooker took photos of a Coles truck parking in one of the designated disabled parking slots outside a daycare centre in Perth. Read more about the story here.

In Victoria, drivers caught parking in a disabled parking bay without a valid disability parking permit will be charged with an infringement notice of $182. It was unclear, however, if the Coles truck driver had an exemption to park in the disabled parking spot.

People with Disability Australia CEO Sebastian Zagarella said that it was crucial that people should respect disabled parking bays and that the areas around them should be fully accessible.

Key Takeaways

• A Coles delivery driver has sparked controversy by parking in a disabled bay outside a doctor's surgery in Melbourne.
  • The incident, which was captured in a photograph and shared on social media, resulted in outrage and calls for Coles to 'do better'.
  • A Coles spokesperson confirmed it is investigating the incident, saying that all Coles Online delivery drivers undergo extensive training, including where to park when delivering groceries.
  • In Victoria, drivers caught parked in a disabled parking bay without a valid disability parking permit face an infringement notice of $182.

What can you say about the story? Share your thoughts in the comments below!
Take the number plate of the vehicle + a photo and take it to the local Police station, as well as report to their office, but you need to be a Disable Sticker holder, which adds more weight.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bellclare
This post needs to be up in HUGE NEON LIGHTS everywhere. The ignorance of the general population is incredible.

I am a staunch advocate for the person with a disability and not afraid to go into bat for their cause.

In disability support, I had a girl with cerebral palsy walk with me to the shops. Two elderly women, who should have better, commented with "oh, look at that thing" and swiftly crossed the road to get away from us. I replied "don't worry - it's not contagious, unlike your ignorance".

I need a fire extinguisher to soothe my raging anger at idiots!
Same here......will ALWAYS support those with disabilities of any kind.....some people are just so selfish and uncaring, and as you say just so damn ignorant ! Chin up and keep smiling and laughing. Their day will come. 👍😉

I had an interesting experience with a council parking inspector in a carpark in Nowra, New South Wales, in 2004. I was driving a NSW Department Of Aging, Disability and Home Care vehicle with a Disabled Parking Permit when I parked in a disabled spot. Due to behavourial issues, the client refused to get out of the car so I did their financial transactions on their behalf.

Arrive back at the car and what do I find? A parking ticket for illegally parking in a disability designated spot! A few minutes later, I caught up with the inspector and questioned his actions to which his reply was "the person is supposed to get out the car with you". Total HOGWASH!!

So off I went to grill the Head Council Ranger about this indiscretion and the fine was immediately revoked as there is no legal requirement for a person to alight the vehicle in these circumstances. Veggiepatch 1 Shoalhaven City Council 0.
I work in Aged care, home help as we don't have our own permits. I display my clients. I do use parents parking if there is not a Acrod available, Which is often but, I always display the permit.

not all disabilities are visible...I have such a disability and am sick of nosey bodies chipping me about using a disable spot, often get a nasty message on my windscreen message saying "you don't appear disabled!" in lipstick , I had my disabled sticker on the dash ,but I guess some people cant read or think only wheelchair people are disabled......by the way lipstick is very hard to get off in the parking lot, needed turps
Maybe there should be a tow away sign for vehicles without a disable Sticker then maybe they will get the message.

This post needs to be up in HUGE NEON LIGHTS everywhere. The ignorance of the general population is incredible.

I am a staunch advocate for the person with a disability and not afraid to go into bat for their cause.

In disability support, I had a girl with cerebral palsy walk with me to the shops. Two elderly women, who should have better, commented with "oh, look at that thing" and swiftly crossed the road to get away from us. I replied "don't worry - it's not contagious, unlike your ignorance".

I need a fire extinguisher to soothe my raging anger at idiots!
The older I get, the less I find I can tolerate idiocy or ill-treatment. Like the time some years ago when a I was at the park and man kicked my little dog. I was incandescent with fury - I even scared myself! It was just after my husband had died so I suppose my 'filter' and tolerance were feeling a bit stretched. I still remember it-even though it must be fifteen years ago now.....

Yes, I've not come across this rather specific description regarding parking before: 'poor person'?
I have a disability permit, and often find those special parking places always taken - and I bet they're not all genuine users.
big assumption there, visible disability isn't the grounds for the issuing of a disabled parking permit.

The older I get, the less I find I can tolerate idiocy or ill-treatment. Like the time some years ago when a I was at the park and man kicked my little dog. I was incandescent with fury - I even scared myself! It was just after my husband had died so I suppose my 'filter' and tolerance were feeling a bit stretched. I still remember it-even though it must be fifteen years ago now.....
Sounds like you might like to join CSI. (Can't Stand Idiots)
1699261492948.png

Reactions: Leenie