Coles customer who called out the retailer for x-rated checkout display faces backlash from other shoppers ⁠— "You're totally wrong”

Coles has come under fire from a customer who has questioned the appropriateness of having condoms on sale at the checkout.

The customer took to the Coles Facebook page to share photos of boxes of condoms for sale at the checkout, above the checkout conveyor belt.

The condoms were on sale next to painkillers, vitamin tablets, sanitiser and other medical items.

gOisfY1_SZJ9i2gnh0oJO9ni51BehkVEYB1v_ang86KKHLhmzLeX4Iky1NBGrknA0FVlwj_onXKq0x1hzWttTfBXw2ug6S0vu_2Wg_g2q5C4waq2wE7ivMvbV8e1qB1S1cb270F4TtPmBiI_

A Coles customer pointed out the appropriateness of placing condoms at the checkout of her local store. Credit: Facebook.

In her Facebook post, the customer questioned whether it is appropriate to display condoms at the checkout, writing: "Just wondering if you'd consider keeping checkouts suitable for all ages?"

"I know a lot of people complain these days and I'm not complaining."

"Just suggesting the idea that checkouts stay G rated for those who don't want to see these and also for the children who don't need to know what these are yet."

The post has since captured the attention of Coles shoppers, with many pointing out that it is a customer's responsibility to supervise their children while shopping.

One person wrote: "You're totally wrong. Kids should know what condoms are and they should be accessible."

"Imagine how many teen pregnancies could be avoided if parents actually spoke to their children about them," another added.

"Do you stop your children from using public bathrooms? Many have vending machines selling these products."

A third argued: "Imagine having to explain sexual health to your child like a responsible parent, you poor poor thing."

"If you're too immature to deal with a child's questions about reproduction you shouldn't be spawning offspring," another quipped.

6i8nb1erofzw84QSbQwgC_eLTzMxaWUBZ5GI_2Wg0Yf-5oMEVWyfc9yHQe-AsEtgC1O16Sdc6RCiQq5JtPLTY1CVGCv8R_K-x1YNPCJcdAjp-8-vPFG3EsagZrUqnJdIpNJ5Gi_-oAk-EUmT

Other customers said that it is the parents’ responsibility to teach sexual health to their children. Credit: Shutterstock/haireena.

A Coles spokesperson said that the items displayed at their checkouts have been "warmly" received by shoppers.

"We selected the items for the checkout areas based on customer feedback and sales data that shows proven demand for last minute medicinal and family planning products," the spokesperson explained.

What are your thoughts on this? A lot of fuss over nothing, or should ‘adult’ items be confined to less public sections of a supermarket?

Sponsored
Coles customer who called out the retailer for x-rated checkout display faces backlash from other shoppers ⁠— "You're totally wrong”

Coles has come under fire from a customer who has questioned the appropriateness of having condoms on sale at the checkout.

The customer took to the Coles Facebook page to share photos of boxes of condoms for sale at the checkout, above the checkout conveyor belt.

The condoms were on sale next to painkillers, vitamin tablets, sanitiser and other medical items.

gOisfY1_SZJ9i2gnh0oJO9ni51BehkVEYB1v_ang86KKHLhmzLeX4Iky1NBGrknA0FVlwj_onXKq0x1hzWttTfBXw2ug6S0vu_2Wg_g2q5C4waq2wE7ivMvbV8e1qB1S1cb270F4TtPmBiI_

A Coles customer pointed out the appropriateness of placing condoms at the checkout of her local store. Credit: Facebook.

In her Facebook post, the customer questioned whether it is appropriate to display condoms at the checkout, writing: "Just wondering if you'd consider keeping checkouts suitable for all ages?"

"Just suggesting the idea that checkouts stay G rated for those who don't want to see these and also for the children who don't need to know what these are yet."

The post has since captured the attention of Coles shoppers, with many pointing out that it is a customer's responsibility to supervise their children while shopping.

One person wrote: "You're totally wrong. Kids should know what condoms are and they should be accessible."

"Imagine how many teen pregnancies could be avoided if parents actually spoke to their children about them," another added.

"Do you stop your children from using public bathrooms? Many have vending machines selling these products."

A third argued: "Imagine having to explain sexual health to your child like a responsible parent, you poor poor thing."

"If you're too immature to deal with a child's questions about reproduction you shouldn't be spawning offspring," another quipped.

6i8nb1erofzw84QSbQwgC_eLTzMxaWUBZ5GI_2Wg0Yf-5oMEVWyfc9yHQe-AsEtgC1O16Sdc6RCiQq5JtPLTY1CVGCv8R_K-x1YNPCJcdAjp-8-vPFG3EsagZrUqnJdIpNJ5Gi_-oAk-EUmT

Other customers said that it is the parents’ responsibility to teach sexual health to their children. Credit: Shutterstock/haireena.

A Coles spokesperson said that the items displayed at their checkouts have been "warmly" received by shoppers.

"We selected the items for the checkout areas based on customer feedback and sales data that shows proven demand for last minute medicinal and family planning products," the spokesperson explained.

What are your thoughts on this? A lot of fuss over nothing, or should ‘adult’ items be confined to less public sections of a supermarket?
The condoms are placed quite high which small children would not see. Also if these are x rated then why are supermarkets selling womens sanitary items?! Come on…supermarkets need to sell what is needed in everyday life. Are chemists meant to stop selling condoms because a child might see them?! Ridiculous!

I like the idea, how many times has someone forgotten these types of necessary items when are required. I provided our teenage children with condoms and dental dams, with a short explanation as to why these are actually required. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hi, if the kids are old enough to ask what they are, then they are old enough to be told what they are.

I would have thought the only things at checkout that kids look for are the deliberately placed sweets and toys! Let's hope the lady never takes her kids down the feminine hygiene aisle!

I'm glad that they've removed the lollies from the checkouts as that was where most of the child meltdowns happened. Little kids are not interested in things that are not brightly coloured like lollies and probably wouldn't give the condoms a second glance. I think it's more of a case that this lady's sensibilities were compromised.;)

Best safe than sorry. Should a child ask - that is a medical support for adults. One doesn't need to go the whole hog, just be casual about it. No need to get uptight.

Totally appropriate to have them at checkouts .the more ppl who grab a pkt the better, including the young.
I'm sure it's easy enough to explain to the littles that they are for older ppl

Since when have condoms been X-rated? Besides, imagine the fun the kids are missing out on by not allowing them to be filled with water and thrown off the balcony.

I think it is a great idea it is alright to put headache pills and ladies pp what do you do when you go down the isle with the condoms leave the little kids at the top of the isle and say you cant come down here

Are these items in a heated display?
I would have thought that they would be warm during use, not whilst still in the packaging ...

Could have lollies there for kids to see and have meltdowns over, and all the mentioned items at the checkout are some of the most shoplifted items in supermarkets so they are right at the checkout and for convenience.

Reactions: Ricci

SOME PEOPLE NEED TO GET A LIFE

Totally should be there. The younger kids understand the better.

I like the idea, how many times has someone forgotten these types of necessary items when are required. I provided our teenage children with condoms and dental dams, with a short explanation as to why these are actually required. Better to be safe than sorry.
Goddlemighty! Don't publicise what a dental dam can be used for! Even more, don't let the kids see the pics on the net if you enter "Dental dam" in the search box in case they want to explore ...

• Haha
Reactions: Sloopy and Ricci
Since when have condoms been X-rated? Besides, imagine the fun the kids are missing out on by not allowing them to be filled with water and thrown off the balcony.
We used to blow them up and tie them to the car aerial LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci