Coles’ latest checkout change has customers fuming

Ah, supermarkets. While they've certainly made our lives a lot more convenient, they can often be a source of frustration as well. Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we often hear about supermarket woes. This is why we feel compelled to share this recent development that has left many customers fuming.

The retail giant has introduced more self-serve checkouts—some even with conveyor belts—in many of its stores nationwide. However, this has also reduced the number of manned checkouts, meaning there are fewer checkouts with Coles staff to help customers. This is a change that hasn't gone down too well amongst some loyal Coles shoppers.

1686119922281.png
Coles has implemented additional self-serve checkouts featuring conveyor belts within their stores. Source: Twitter

In a video shared on social media, one disgruntled customer accused the supermarket of 'really making us all look like morons'. She went on to say, 'What a chump. I'm out here working for Coles, and I'm not even getting a staff discount on my price-gouged groceries,' while scanning her items at the checkout.

It's not just the lack of assistance that has customers upset. There's a growing number of people expressing their disapproval on social media about these major changes to the checkout system. 'Coles, you are a disgrace! The checkout situation at Southland is unacceptable,' one frustrated shopper wrote on Facebook.

Others shared similar frustrations, with one longtime Coles shopper stating how they were ready to leave their 'loyalty' behind due to the growing inconvenience brought about by the 'push for the self-serve checkouts.

Coles Responds to Checkout Criticism​

1686119922372.png
Coles is enhancing customer options by offering a greater variety of checkout methods Source: Twitter

Coles isn't taking the criticism lying down, though. A spokesperson for the supermarket told 7NEWS.com.au that the company is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers.

'Coles is providing more choice to our customers in how they can choose to check out in our stores and pack their bags the way they like,' the spokesperson said.

They also reassured customers that team members are available to assist them at self-serve checkouts whenever required, adding that the supermarket is employing more staff now than it was five years ago.

Key Takeaways
  • Coles supermarket has come under fire for introducing more self-serve checkouts, leading to fewer checkouts manned by staff.
  • Customers have complained about being forced to scan and pack their groceries due to the lack of available checkouts with employees.
  • A Coles spokesperson has said team members can scan customers' groceries on the self-serve checkouts whenever required.
  • The supermarket insists it is currently employing thousands more staff than it was five years ago and is committed to providing various checkout options to customers.
As we know, embracing change can sometimes be difficult, but it's also an inevitable part of progress. What do you think of these changes implemented by Coles, and have you had any similar experiences at your local supermarket?

Remember, it's important to voice your concerns and share your feedback with Coles customer service.

For now, whether you prefer self-serve or manned checkouts, we hope your shopping trips remain fuss-free and smooth sailing! Though, we’d love to hear from you. Which DO you prefer?

Sponsored
Ah, supermarkets. While they've certainly made our lives a lot more convenient, they can often be a source of frustration as well. Here at the Seniors Discount Club, we often hear about supermarket woes. This is why we feel compelled to share this recent development that has left many customers fuming.

The retail giant has introduced more self-serve checkouts—some even with conveyor belts—in many of its stores nationwide. However, this has also reduced the number of manned checkouts, meaning there are fewer checkouts with Coles staff to help customers. This is a change that hasn't gone down too well amongst some loyal Coles shoppers.

View attachment 21725
Coles has implemented additional self-serve checkouts featuring conveyor belts within their stores. Source: Twitter

In a video shared on social media, one disgruntled customer accused the supermarket of 'really making us all look like morons'. She went on to say, 'What a chump. I'm out here working for Coles, and I'm not even getting a staff discount on my price-gouged groceries,' while scanning her items at the checkout.

It's not just the lack of assistance that has customers upset. There's a growing number of people expressing their disapproval on social media about these major changes to the checkout system. 'Coles, you are a disgrace! The checkout situation at Southland is unacceptable,' one frustrated shopper wrote on Facebook.

Others shared similar frustrations, with one longtime Coles shopper stating how they were ready to leave their 'loyalty' behind due to the growing inconvenience brought about by the 'push for the self-serve checkouts.

View attachment 21726
Coles is enhancing customer options by offering a greater variety of checkout methods Source: Twitter

Coles isn't taking the criticism lying down, though. A spokesperson for the supermarket told 7NEWS.com.au that the company is committed to providing a variety of checkout options for its customers.

'Coles is providing more choice to our customers in how they can choose to check out in our stores and pack their bags the way they like,' the spokesperson said.

They also reassured customers that team members are available to assist them at self-serve checkouts whenever required, adding that the supermarket is employing more staff now than it was five years ago.

Key Takeaways

• Coles supermarket has come under fire for introducing more self-serve checkouts, leading to fewer checkouts manned by staff.
  • Customers have complained about being forced to scan and pack their groceries due to the lack of available checkouts with employees.
  • A Coles spokesperson has said team members can scan customers' groceries on the self-serve checkouts whenever required.
  • The supermarket insists it is currently employing thousands more staff than it was five years ago and is committed to providing various checkout options to customers.
As we know, embracing change can sometimes be difficult, but it's also an inevitable part of progress. What do you think of these changes implemented by Coles, and have you had any similar experiences at your local supermarket?

Remember, it's important to voice your concerns and share your feedback with Coles customer service.

For now, whether you prefer self-serve or manned checkouts, we hope your shopping trips remain fuss-free and smooth sailing! Though, we’d love to hear from you. Which DO you prefer?
I Much prefer self serve - especially when there are a lot of colds & flu lurking about. Its not a hard job & I'm an elderly person.

View attachment 21725

View attachment 21726

Key Takeaways

I prefer a manned checkout! If they keep this up there will almost no jobs for people in their stores. I also hate it at Kmart. No one pays me to work there!!!

I Much prefer self serve - especially when there are a lot of colds & flu lurking about. Its not a hard job & I'm an elderly person.
Totally agree, I don’t need someone else handling all my goods when they have just touched someone else’s goods and prior to that wiped their nose 😤

I prefer a manned checkout! If they keep this up there will almost no jobs for people in their stores. I also hate it at Kmart. No one pays me to work there!!!
If you read the whol article you will see there are more staff at Coles than there was 5 years ago. Checkout staff don’t loose their jobs, they work elsewhere in the store replenishing stock, filling on line orders etc.

View attachment 21725

View attachment 21726

Key Takeaways

I only use the self serve when I have a handful of items and there are large queues at the manned checkouts (usually only two open at my coles store). I feel very sorry for those who are Forced into using the self serve when they have a trolley load. There is hardly any room for the scanned groceries and it means you have to scan some, pack some, scan some, pack some. For the elderly it is not acceptable. The 12 items or less is not open when you shop just after the store opens. They have now resorted to putting a trolley across the entrance to it. Shopping has become a nightmare in recent years.

View attachment 21725

View attachment 21726

Key Takeaways

So many changes at all the supermarkets. I called into Aldi to buy a couple of items only. Yes they now have self checkouts too.
What I really liked was only one person was using the self checkout yet, there was a lineup of customers waiting for service at the manned checkouts.
Our coles now have fewer manned checkouts as they have extended their self checkouts.
In Coles there is always lineups for the manned checkouts yet they open more self checkouts, how ridiculous.
In a small town like Queanbeyan NSW it’s just pathetic this is happening. My ethos is” They don’t pay me to serve myself, so why should I do it?” They say they employ more staff now but, where are they?

View attachment 21725

View attachment 21726

Key Takeaways

I prefer self-checkout to avoid the long queues of shoppers checking out with a large pike in their trolleys. My weekly buys has below 20 items and easy for self-checkout.
A suggestion would be perhaps to have the receipt from self-checkout over a certain value to include a coupon for a free coffee-and-snack from the supermarket, as a reward to encourage spending time “working” to self-checkout the large pile of items.

View attachment 21725

View attachment 21726

Key Takeaways

View attachment 21725

View attachment 21726

Key Takeaways

You want a staffed checkout then be prepared to pay the price. All I see on here is how much supermarkets 'price gouge' shoppers. Not sure if anyone pays any attention to where their produce is coming from, but transporting tomatoes from Qld to Vic is not a cheap. Just buy local and go to a store that gives you the personal service but be prepared to pay the price.

maybe more manned checkouts than 5 years, but that was complained about then too. Lucky to have one manned in any Coles store I go to and I have a few in my area. And there are long lines waiting.Just open more and there won't be the complaints.

Reactions: Marj53