Coffee prices set to increase to $7 per cup by end of the year

Heads up, coffee lovers! (Yes, that includes us too.)

Whether it’s the classic flat white or your favourite soy latte, it’s a morning ritual for many of us to have a cup of coffee to jumpstart our day. However, you might have already noticed that we have been paying a bit more for a cuppa in recent weeks.

It’s true. After two years of the pandemic and three weeks of the war between Russia and Ukraine, petrol prices are not the only prices reported to be increasing.

Now, experts are saying that we could be paying $7 for a coffee by the end of the year, too.

6-XuMjz1bnWdZe9LOBOdyy-prNTlm-sdVCXw4F0du5PW33yYdxT2Y1jFND004VXZPzkQisp3KCkSAMyzPbKgV8wsSbxvs0uhZ_Z51WLPlkfmlI9KICXaIOxNdC0-6PNkEGKWyQRK

The cost of shipping and natural disasters in coffee regions around the world are the reasons behind the price increase. Credit: Brendan Radke.
As cafes nationwide struggle to absorb growing overhead costs as inflation surges, Aussies could be forced to pay up to $7 just for a regular cup of coffee.

According to David Parnham, the president of Cafe Owners and Baristas Association of Australia, the surge of increase in petrol prices has also caused shipping costs to skyrocket.

“The cost of shipping has become just ridiculous,” he told ABC News.

“It’s nearly five times the container prices of two years ago due to global shortages of containers and ships to be able to take things around the world.”

Add that to the problems that Brazilian coffee farmers are already currently facing, such as frosts and difficult growing conditions in coffee-growing areas, we might have to say goodbye to our usual $4 cuppas.

The news comes as Australia grapples with the worst inflation rates in more than a decade.

Although coffee lovers will be feeling the pinch in the next few weeks and months, Australian coffee farmers and producers could use this price increase to their advantage.

Candy MacLaughlin from Skybury Roasters hopes the increasing cost of imports will pave the way for growth in the local industry, allowing it to compete in the market alongside international coffee names.

“[In the] overall cost of business, we haven't been able to drop our prices to be competitive, so we've really worked on that niche base,” Ms MacLaughlin said.

“Now we can take all of those plus play in the same space as the international [brands] because our price point, although won't be similar, they will be in the same ballpark.”

Ms MacLaughlin and her husband Marion produce 40 tonnes of coffee annually – and they are prepared to scale up operations to meet rising demand.

“I think the demand for Australian coffee at the moment is an ever-changing landscape and more and more Aussies are starting to question where their food comes from, who is growing it,” she said.

“That's where I see the next stage of the Australian coffee industry going.”

Aside from coffee, since the increasing prices of petrol affect all of the supply chains, food supplier SPC has confirmed that about a hundred staple products – from baked beans to dried spaghetti – will also go up in price by 10 to 20 per cent.

SPC chairman Hussein Rifai said: “[The inflation] impacts our farmers, our partners and those that supply us with packaging.”

“Unfortunately, we have to pass that cost on to the consumer.”

What are your thoughts?

Are you folks already doing some ‘measures’ to combat the rising prices of everyday items? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Coffee prices set to increase to $7 per cup by end of the year

Heads up, coffee lovers! (Yes, that includes us too.)

Whether it’s the classic flat white or your favourite soy latte, it’s a morning ritual for many of us to have a cup of coffee to jumpstart our day. However, you might have already noticed that we have been paying a bit more for a cuppa in recent weeks.

It’s true. After two years of the pandemic and three weeks of the war between Russia and Ukraine, petrol prices are not the only prices reported to be increasing.

Now, experts are saying that we could be paying $7 for a coffee by the end of the year, too.

6-XuMjz1bnWdZe9LOBOdyy-prNTlm-sdVCXw4F0du5PW33yYdxT2Y1jFND004VXZPzkQisp3KCkSAMyzPbKgV8wsSbxvs0uhZ_Z51WLPlkfmlI9KICXaIOxNdC0-6PNkEGKWyQRK

The cost of shipping and natural disasters in coffee regions around the world are the reasons behind the price increase. Credit: Brendan Radke.
As cafes nationwide struggle to absorb growing overhead costs as inflation surges, Aussies could be forced to pay up to $7 just for a regular cup of coffee.

According to David Parnham, the president of Cafe Owners and Baristas Association of Australia, the surge of increase in petrol prices has also caused shipping costs to skyrocket.

“The cost of shipping has become just ridiculous,” he told ABC News.

“It’s nearly five times the container prices of two years ago due to global shortages of containers and ships to be able to take things around the world.”

Add that to the problems that Brazilian coffee farmers are already currently facing, such as frosts and difficult growing conditions in coffee-growing areas, we might have to say goodbye to our usual $4 cuppas.

The news comes as Australia grapples with the worst inflation rates in more than a decade.

Although coffee lovers will be feeling the pinch in the next few weeks and months, Australian coffee farmers and producers could use this price increase to their advantage.

Candy MacLaughlin from Skybury Roasters hopes the increasing cost of imports will pave the way for growth in the local industry, allowing it to compete in the market alongside international coffee names.

“[In the] overall cost of business, we haven't been able to drop our prices to be competitive, so we've really worked on that niche base,” Ms MacLaughlin said.

“Now we can take all of those plus play in the same space as the international [brands] because our price point, although won't be similar, they will be in the same ballpark.”

Ms MacLaughlin and her husband Marion produce 40 tonnes of coffee annually – and they are prepared to scale up operations to meet rising demand.

“I think the demand for Australian coffee at the moment is an ever-changing landscape and more and more Aussies are starting to question where their food comes from, who is growing it,” she said.

“That's where I see the next stage of the Australian coffee industry going.”

Aside from coffee, since the increasing prices of petrol affect all of the supply chains, food supplier SPC has confirmed that about a hundred staple products – from baked beans to dried spaghetti – will also go up in price by 10 to 20 per cent.

SPC chairman Hussein Rifai said: “[The inflation] impacts our farmers, our partners and those that supply us with packaging.”

“Unfortunately, we have to pass that cost on to the consumer.”

What are your thoughts?

Are you folks already doing some ‘measures’ to combat the rising prices of everyday items? Share them with us in the comments below!
I was a Barista for ten years, had my own little coffee outlet, I know how much it used to cost me to make a coffee, trust me you are being ripped off!

Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci

Where does one find a $4 coffee??

• Haha
Reactions: Ricci
Invest in a coffee machine. It will cost you less than 1 dollar per cup & you don’t have to dispose of the cup afterwards

Reactions: Ricci and Wendy
It will only be $7/cup for those silly enough o pay for it...if no-one buys it it will soon come down but sadly people will be sucked in and buy it...
Like petrol, there is no need for it to go up, the only reason is greed. The head of The Royal Automobile Association here in SA explained it the other day on the News...his words..."Greed"!!
And we all notice how the price goes up in almost every outlet within an hour of each other despite the fact they haven't had a delivery..???
The Government deregulated fuel prices back in the 70s, it was going to make it cheaper...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and Ricci
Invest in a coffee machine. It will cost you less than 1 dollar per cup & you don’t have to dispose of the cup afterwards
I have never understood Why people buy their coffee first thing in the morning, I am one of those people who do not function at all in the morning without a cup of coffee and it usually takes 2 cups to clear the brain fog before I can function as a human being, I am not able to even reverse my car out of the garage successfully without those first cups of morning coffee so it is near on impossible for me to drive somewhere to get my morning fix, I applaud those who can but I will not be joining them so the price of that morning fix will not be affecting me too much, of course coffee with friends later in the day is different, by that time I am usually close to being alive!

Reactions: Ricci
I prefer a Latte and have found that using the microwwave to heat the milk before adding instant coffee (shock horror to some coffee lovers)is definitely cheaper than the average coffee machine but each to their own

I have never bought a cup of coffee when out and about and I don't intend to start anytime soon. I have a perfectly good kettle at home and all the makings so why would I waste my money. Maybe that's why I often have a few dollars left in my purse at the end of the week!!;)

Reactions: Gaena