Clever Aussie man breathes new life into discarded bicycles

As shoppers fall into the pits of consumerism, it often leads to a staggering amount of waste that can destroy the environment.

However, one man's mission to rescue and restore discarded items not only inspired people but also reminded them of the treasures that can be found in what others consider rubbish.

Alan Ventress, a 74-year-old man, turned his dismay about a 'throwaway society' into a heartwarming endeavour.

Alan's journey began during the COVID-19 pandemic when he noticed the sheer volume of bicycles tossed aside in his neighbourhood.

Coming from a background where every possession was cherished, the sight of neglected bikes spurred him into action.

compressed-bike1.jpeg
Alan Ventress collects bikes with minor defects for repairs and distribution for those in need. Image Credits: Alan Ventress

'I'd see bikes discarded for minor faults,' he shared. 'One of them was very new-looking, and all that was wrong with it was that it needed its tyres pumping up, but there it was in a pile of rubbish.'

'It seems to me that people just don't have the time, energy, or commitment to the environment anymore. When you consider these bikes could be easily fixed with a modicum of mechanical ability, it seems rather depressing.'

With a heart for the environment and his community, Alan started collecting these bikes in his yellow Kombi van, bringing them back to his garage for repair.

Since then, Alan has fixed around 450 bikes—a staggering number that speaks volumes about our throwaway culture.

However, Alan's efforts go beyond just repairing; he's also giving these bikes a new purpose.

Some of these bikes reached Indigenous families in Walgett through a local council initiative.

Other bikes were donated to a children's home.

Some bikes were placed on the street with a 'Free' sign—ready to bring joy to their new owners.

'Occasionally, I have met people who have been quite grateful to get the bike. I recall one Chilean student who had just arrived in Australia, and she was very grateful to get the bike because she didn't have much money,"' he recounted.

'Another time, a single mother needed a bike for her son, and I was able to give them a particularly good one.'

Despite some scepticism that the bikes might be resold for profit, Alan remains focused on his goal: to keep these bikes out of landfills, even for a short while.

The issue of bike waste is more significant than many realise.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, 300,000 bikes are thrown into landfills annually in Australia alone.

The time Alan spends fixing each bike varies, but the result is always the same—a bike saved from waste and given a second chance.

Alan's story reminds us that one person's rubbish can be another's treasure.

It encourages us to look at our habits and consider the potential of items we might otherwise discard.

For those who are passionate about sustainability and community service, Alan's story shows that with a bit of time and effort, we can make a significant difference.

So, next time you're about to throw something away, think of Alan and the 450 bikes that have been given a new lease on life.
Key Takeaways

• Alan Ventress started fixing discarded bikes and gave them new life for those in need.
  • Ventress started his noble venture after finding bikes thrown out for minor faults.
  • He repaired and handed out an estimated 450 bikes, some of which have gone to Indigenous families and children's homes, while others are left on the street with a 'Free' sign.
  • Despite some criticism, Ventress' main goal is to keep bikes out of landfills, even if it means extending their life for just six months.
Have you ever rescued an item from being discarded and given it a new purpose? Share your stories with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
Thank you so much Alan, what a wonderful thing you are doing for both our planet and people. Please keep up the great work. I also collect others "rubbish". Its astounding what some people throw out. I have been known to collect perfectly good things from the road side and if not used by myself have taken them to op shops where they have been gratefully received.

Bicycles for Humanity is a worldwide organisation which donates bicycles to countries in Africa and Asia so this is another possibility.