Cleanup nightmare: Family criticised for leaving a messy spot at a pub

When kids are allowed to be kids, it can look like a war zone to an outsider.

That's exactly what many people felt when they saw one family dining in a pub recently after a fellow diner posted a picture of the mess the group's children had made.

Now, members, this is one of those cases where the story has two sides—both requiring consideration.

The pubgoer who posted the photo to an online forum wrote, 'Is this okay now? Family at local pub let their kid fling food all over the place and made zero attempts to stop them, then left it for staff to clean up.'

compressed-Screen Shot 2023-08-11 at 11.47.49 AM.jpeg
A family has been slammed for the 'disgusting' mess they left after eating at a pub restaurant. Credit: Reddit.

The image showed food all over the floor and not a single chair pushed in at the table. Understandably, many commenters were shocked and appalled by the sight and thought the behaviour was 'unacceptable' and 'disrespectful'.

The conversation split clearly, with many on one side claiming that it was never acceptable to let your kids run rampant in a restaurant and others calling for leniency on the family's actions, saying that at the end of the day, it is a service staff's 'job' to clean up after customers.

'Makes me wonder what their homes are like. Do they let their kids do this at home?' one commenter asked.

'My kids, my problem. Staff aren't paid enough to have to deal with that as well,' added a mum.

But not everyone was convinced of any wrongdoing, with some pointing out that it's par for the course in the service industry.

'It is okay. Takes one minute to sweep up. Stop being a sook,' said one user, with another agreeing and adding: 'They get paid to clean it, so let them do their job. Stop being sensitive.'

Among the latter, some said that while they understood the anger, parents also had to remember that they chose to take their children to an establishment (sometimes) dining, so they needed to accept the consequences.

Elsewhere, commenters said that just because someone takes their children to a restaurant doesn't mean they should be entitled to misbehave.

With that in mind, some people said the expectations are for parents to do their part by keeping their kids under control and not to create headlines like this.

Key Takeaways

• A family has been criticised for allowing their child to throw food around at a pub restaurant, leaving a messy aftermath for staff.
  • The incident sparked debate online, with many people condemning the parents' lack of action, whilst some defended them, claiming it's the staff's job to clean.
  • Many commenters rebuked the behaviour, stating that it is 'unacceptable' and 'disrespectful', and some parents shared their experiences of personally cleaning up after their children in public places.
  • Others, however, argued that as paying customers, the cleaning up was not their responsibility—a perspective that several individuals strongly disagreed with.

Members, what do you think: are these parents out of line, or do the people criticising them just have high expectations of what a family spending time at a pub should look like?

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Sponsored

That's exactly what many people felt when they saw one family dining in a pub recently after a fellow diner posted a picture of the mess the group's children had made.

Now, members, this is one of those cases where the story has two sides—both requiring consideration.

The pubgoer who posted the photo to an online forum wrote, 'Is this okay now? Family at local pub let their kid fling food all over the place and made zero attempts to stop them, then left it for staff to clean up.'

View attachment 27241
A family has been slammed for the 'disgusting' mess they left after eating at a pub restaurant. Credit: Reddit.

The image showed food all over the floor and not a single chair pushed in at the table. Understandably, many commenters were shocked and appalled by the sight and thought the behaviour was 'unacceptable' and 'disrespectful'.

The conversation split clearly, with many on one side claiming that it was never acceptable to let your kids run rampant in a restaurant and others calling for leniency on the family's actions, saying that at the end of the day, it is a service staff's 'job' to clean up after customers.

'Makes me wonder what their homes are like. Do they let their kids do this at home?' one commenter asked.

'My kids, my problem. Staff aren't paid enough to have to deal with that as well,' added a mum.

But not everyone was convinced of any wrongdoing, with some pointing out that it's par for the course in the service industry.

'It is okay. Takes one minute to sweep up. Stop being a sook,' said one user, with another agreeing and adding: 'They get paid to clean it, so let them do their job. Stop being sensitive.'

Among the latter, some said that while they understood the anger, parents also had to remember that they chose to take their children to an establishment (sometimes) dining, so they needed to accept the consequences.

Elsewhere, commenters said that just because someone takes their children to a restaurant doesn't mean they should be entitled to misbehave.

With that in mind, some people said the expectations are for parents to do their part by keeping their kids under control and not to create headlines like this.

Key Takeaways

• A family has been criticised for allowing their child to throw food around at a pub restaurant, leaving a messy aftermath for staff.
  • The incident sparked debate online, with many people condemning the parents' lack of action, whilst some defended them, claiming it's the staff's job to clean.
  • Many commenters rebuked the behaviour, stating that it is 'unacceptable' and 'disrespectful', and some parents shared their experiences of personally cleaning up after their children in public places.
  • Others, however, argued that as paying customers, the cleaning up was not their responsibility—a perspective that several individuals strongly disagreed with.

Members, what do you think: are these parents out of line, or do the people criticising them just have high expectations of what a family spending time at a pub should look like?

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

Let us know your thoughts in the comments below

To my Family, and extended Family, it is a respect thing. Leave the table and the floor in a decent manner, so that the cleaner, only needs to do a swipe
of a wet cloth on the table and a look on the floor to see if it is clean. I have always insisted on this being the Norm
as my Mother and Grandmother taught me. It remains that way and I hope it continues when I am with the Daises,
under the ground.
Courtesy and Respect cost nothing and not illustrating that judgemental, attitude that says loudly "I am better than you, you are paid to do this".
As I said Courtesy costs nothing, but is
Just a small lesson learned to value anybody wherever we find them. Regardless of who they are and the job they do, COURTESY and RESPECT

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

I think is is disgraceful to allow children to throw food in a pub or restaurant. Food spillage by really young children often cannot be avoided but to let them actually throw food and then leave it for the staff to clean up beggers belief

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

I agree that this is totally disrespectful to both the staff who had to clean their mess as well as fellow diners. I recently ate at a local bistro where two sets of parents found it hilarious that their children were banging their cutlery on the table whilst yelling out loudly “We want food, we want food” When their food did arrive they all promptly abandoned their cutlery and proceeded to throw the food at each other and on their floor while their parents looked on with delight. I remarked to a staff member about the behaviour and he said that that type of behaviour was a regular occurrence. Please people teach some mutual kindness and respect to your children.

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

Looks like the kid's have been dragged up not brought up 🤔🙃

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

You need a licence to own a dog, drive a car, get married etc, tradies need to be licensed in their field. Unfortunately people don't need a licence to have children. I dread to think what today's children will grow up like.

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

The issue is the permissive adults accompanying the children.

View attachment 27241

Key Takeaways

That has nothing on the mess left by a family at a Tuggerah cafe last week. Food spilled on the table and floor, including popcorn the parents gave a 2-year-old that had been purchased elsewhere. A staff member told me such messes are not unusual.