SDC Rewards Member Upgrade yours now
M

Maddison Dwyer

Administrator
Staff member
Aug 20, 2021
Christmas Holiday Book Recommendations!

Do you have any books you'd like to recommend to everyone? I alway have a Christmas Holiday Book Collection but I would absolutely love to add to it!

If you have any books, of any genre, non-fiction or fiction (I read it all!) I'd love to hear it. A little synopsis about the book and why you liked it would be wonderful too, but if you aren't up to it, just post the books name and I'll go searching for it!

Thank you so much for sharing ❤️

Reactions: RTS
I received "From Scratch" for Christmas. Excited to read it, as I watched the series based on this book on Netflix. Series was very good, many emotional ups & down,

Do you have any books you'd like to recommend to everyone? I alway have a Christmas Holiday Book Collection but I would absolutely love to add to it!

If you have any books, of any genre, non-fiction or fiction (I read it all!) I'd love to hear it. A little synopsis about the book and why you liked it would be wonderful too, but if you aren't up to it, just post the books name and I'll go searching for it!

P C Wrens book Beau Geste

A E W Masons book The Four Feathers

Without doubt, the series of books written by Peter Watt starting with "Cry of the Curlew" and finishing with "From the Stars Above" covering the history of the Duffy and Macintosh families over 12 books are books I just couldn't put down. You will certainly get hooked !! Enjoy

We suggest you get a copy of “Photos in the Attic” . It’s going to be a classic Australian love story! Set against the backdrop of the Great War , it travels from Childers in Qld to Vignacourt in France and follows the journey of a young soldier who is in love and falls in love again!!

You will all love it! It’s a short read but will keep you enthralled from start to finish. Based on some fact it’s a historical fiction.
It’s available in stores as an ebook and on audible soon. Oh and it’s going to be a gesture film very soon!!!! We’d love your reviews!

Check out more details at Bigsky Publishing.
Or
www.photosintheatticproject.com

781976A3-464E-4677-BC75-B55460197D12.jpeg

Be hard to get hold of now but, The Collective Verse of Robert Service. Robert Service (1874-1958) dreamed of a life of adventure and freedom to live and write as he wanted, surrounded by nature and the beauty of the world. Born in Lancashire, England, he developed an urge early on to travel abroad, and set his sights on the rough and tumble "wild west" of Canada. Part journalist and part storyteller, he ventured up and down the west coast of the United States and wrote romantic stories of cowboys, gold prospectors and characters of the lush, wild backwoods. This collection of verse contains Service's famous story collections "Songs of a Sourdough", published in 1907 to wide success, "Ballads of a Cheechako", "Rhymes of a Rolling Stone", "Rhymes of a Red Cross Man", and "Ballads of a Bohemian". Service favored simple, rhythmic ballads that allowed the reader to get lost in the colorful descriptions and exciting tales of his imagination, which were inspired by his real world experiences. You would probably have to try Amazon or some such.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed all three books by Richard Osman:
1 The Thursday Murder Club
2 The Man who died Twice
3 The Bullet that Missed

The stories focus on a group of seniors who live in a retirement village and who assist the local police in solving murders. They will have you laughing and sometimes crying at the same time, especially as you relate to the situations they often find themselves in. 5 star books for me 👍

How humans learn about life, is a valuable thing to consider. For all of us, this starts, the very first moment that we first begin paying attention to ourselves in regard to the actions that we do. It is the shared belief that a person's everyday life attitude, as well as how much self-discipline, a person has, in remaining consistent in achieving their desired goals, has is all to do with a person's life experience.

I authored this work years ago, to highlight a way that either an individual may regain their sense of purpose, or a family group may bond together in an all-inclusive learning experience. Also, it presents a way where either a highly boisterous undisciplined child, or a very shy insecure child, may through shared experience in a group, come to appreciate both themselves and others. Online book club, with a readership of over three million, recently they awarded it 4 out of 4 stars for its content.

The book is called "the true Value of Martial arts For Self-Development" it also presents a way to assist in resolving the issue of bullying. It is populated with many images. I do hope that you enjoy what both myself and Master Richard Marlin, have had to say on this subject.

A book I had forgotten all about till you printed this article, it is the funniest I have ever read and all I can tell you is the book title and a brief synopsis. It was written by an Australian author and titled the (Last Escape or Great?) and about a chap in a, N.S.W State Prison that's virtually all I can tell you without giving it away, but believe if you ever come across it grab it with both hands, I made the mistake of loaning it a brother and have never seen it since which is typical!!

Where the Crawdads sing and The Happiest Man on Earth were my two most recent reads and I enjoyed them both.

The Phryne Fisher mystery stories by Kerry Greenwood.
Set in Melbourne in the 1920s and made into a TV series, they're a good light read. My local library has them.

The Number One Ladies Detective Agency stories, by Alexander McCall Smith.
Set in Botswana and following the life of Precious Ramotswe, the insight into a different way of life had me intrigued, and the gentle humour and affection with which they were written was delightful. Some of these stories have been made into a TV series, and the books are available in libraries.

Without doubt, the series of books written by Peter Watt starting with "Cry of the Curlew" and finishing with "From the Stars Above" covering the history of the Duffy and Macintosh families over 12 books are books I just couldn't put down. You will certainly get hooked !! Enjoy
I love real stories about real people, and especially those on pioneers

Peter Watt has been my go-to author for many years now & it all started with "The Cry of the Curlew " I love every book he has written I have them all. Except for the latest one which she meant to buy me for my 85th birthday in October. I am still waiting but it will come & I hope for it to be signed by Peter as I am lucky enough to have met him at a book signing in Brisbane in 2017.