CHOICE reveals the supermarket that retails the cheapest grocery items and shares other tips for scoring items at lower prices

In uncertain financial times like these, preparing ourselves for what's to come in the next few days, months, and even years is a must.

For many of us, figuring out how to make ends meet with the income that we have is the only choice that we have to cope with this challenging time.

We here at the SDC are doing our best to keep you on top of the best deals and fresh information that can help you plan your finances wisely.

With that in mind, we’d like to share with you this news about where you can score the cheapest groceries!

CHOICE Managing Editor Margaret Rafferty has revealed the group's findings about where Aussies can nab the most affordable grocery items.

GBiPFuu-cpIEN2Wpip4yftSDAOIvmbLZDEcr3QNglEyZdK_GdRrGtMDnnBawZ90gmIjcGdd-k8zQ9V9BeyMrEJF1RPe6aICYy_jt3SpFA5hzYobnfWlzXA63Q03sr2fuoaxluhg

CHOICE revealed the supermarket retailer that sells the cheapest groceries. Credit: AAP Image/Dave Hunt.

Talking with the hosts of The Morning Show, Ms Rafferty said that CHOICE has compared the prices between the country's biggest supermarket retailers — Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA.

Results showed that ALDI retails the cheapest products compared to the other aforementioned retailers - probably no big surprises there.

However, Ms Rafferty said that there are some factors to consider when it comes to hunting for grocery bargains...

She said: “We have to compare, like for like, and when we just look at national brands which are obviously not always available at ALDI."

“Woolworths had the cheapest basket compared to Coles, but they were very close, the two obviously do a lot of price matching so differences in prices tend to come down to weekly specials and that’s important to keep an eye on."

“But what we found was that the Woolies basket cost around $140, the Coles basket was around $144.”

0KfPyw0DOE379NknOsAqKElQLm4Uus_yQwr6_CCij_iU0FV25uvdlg8gd_CEOgFUP1mZRB_Is53si33rhUkcKwLtMedgVmnGIifB8u1JXG-mDjJoDzakz_Owk23uK5rw7KVOFlw

The CHOICE editor spoke with the hosts of The Morning Show to reveal the group’s findings. Credit: The Morning Show.

Additionally, the editor advised opting for "in-house" or "home" brands as they are sold cheaper, noting that there was a significant drop in average basket price.

“When we looked at the cost of the supermarket brand baskets, ALDI had the cheapest, that was $80, but Coles and Woolies came right down to about $87, so a big saving there,” she recalled.

She also advised viewers to look out for the unit price of the item — the cost of an item sold per given unit (e.g. per litre, per 100 grams, etc).

Ms Rafferty explained: “That’s the price that you’ll find often on the ticket at the front of the shelf underneath the item that you want to buy and it gives you a price per 100 grams."

“We took a look at Vegemite, which is obviously a staple in many Australian homes, we found that the 560-gram jar, the biggest jar, was the cheapest as you’d expect."

“That ended up costing $1.49 per 100 grams, the other products were reasonable as well, and particularly the 380-gram jar, we found it on special when we checked it at IGA and that was just $5 so a $1.32 per 100 grams."

“It just goes to show it really pays to keep an eye out for those specials."

So, there you have it, folks! We hope these tips can help you cope with challenging times.

Do you know any other tips to score cheaper grocery items? Share them with us in the comments below!

Sponsored
I get all three catalogues on Wednesdays then go home and check against
my grocery list where to buy the item cheaper - then I write a, c or w. I am lucky as all three supermarkets are near each other. So Thursday I go and do my shopping. This way I manage to get a great price for all I need.

Just checked and no, I don't work for choice!! Either I'm copying them when doing my shopping or they are copying me!! I always check the price per unit as sometimes even when on special some items are not as good as items in a different size. When I do my shopping online I always choose to have it listed as cheapest first, that way I can see at a glance which is best value.:)

Reactions: Rochelle and AM
Is there a day and/or time which is best to shop??
Different shops do their markdowns at different times on different days so no although just before closing will sometimes have more markdowns. Locally some shops have Seniors Tuesdays and offer a 5% discount but really it's up to you.;)

Reactions: Ari
There’s a big difference in comparing Aldi’s prices with national brands sold at WW or Coles versus comparing Aldi brands with WW or Coles’ own brands. As the Choice article stated, it brings the big two prices closer to Aldi’s prices. Plus, I can NEVER get everything I want or need at Aldi so always have to finish up at WW anyway. I might as well do the lot at WW. (I don’t have a Coles near me.)

Reactions: joshram and Ricci
Whilst IGA is expensive compared to Woolies or Coles, their fresh produce is much fresher. Also I support our local grocery store. They are slowly becoming competitive and gaining support from the community for their service and vaariety.

Reactions: Ricci
CHOICE reveals the supermarket that retails the cheapest grocery items and shares other tips for scoring items at lower prices

In uncertain financial times like these, preparing ourselves for what's to come in the next few days, months, and even years is a must.

For many of us, figuring out how to make ends meet with the income that we have is the only choice that we have to cope with this challenging time.

We here at the SDC are doing our best to keep you on top of the best deals and fresh information that can help you plan your finances wisely.

With that in mind, we’d like to share with you this news about where you can score the cheapest groceries!

CHOICE Managing Editor Margaret Rafferty has revealed the group's findings about where Aussies can nab the most affordable grocery items.

GBiPFuu-cpIEN2Wpip4yftSDAOIvmbLZDEcr3QNglEyZdK_GdRrGtMDnnBawZ90gmIjcGdd-k8zQ9V9BeyMrEJF1RPe6aICYy_jt3SpFA5hzYobnfWlzXA63Q03sr2fuoaxluhg

CHOICE revealed the supermarket retailer that sells the cheapest groceries. Credit: AAP Image/Dave Hunt.

Talking with the hosts of The Morning Show, Ms Rafferty said that CHOICE has compared the prices between the country's biggest supermarket retailers — Coles, Woolworths, ALDI, and IGA.

Results showed that ALDI retails the cheapest products compared to the other aforementioned retailers - probably no big surprises there.

However, Ms Rafferty said that there are some factors to consider when it comes to hunting for grocery bargains...

She said: “We have to compare, like for like, and when we just look at national brands which are obviously not always available at ALDI."

“Woolworths had the cheapest basket compared to Coles, but they were very close, the two obviously do a lot of price matching so differences in prices tend to come down to weekly specials and that’s important to keep an eye on."

“But what we found was that the Woolies basket cost around $140, the Coles basket was around $144.”

0KfPyw0DOE379NknOsAqKElQLm4Uus_yQwr6_CCij_iU0FV25uvdlg8gd_CEOgFUP1mZRB_Is53si33rhUkcKwLtMedgVmnGIifB8u1JXG-mDjJoDzakz_Owk23uK5rw7KVOFlw

The CHOICE editor spoke with the hosts of The Morning Show to reveal the group’s findings. Credit: The Morning Show.

Additionally, the editor advised opting for "in-house" or "home" brands as they are sold cheaper, noting that there was a significant drop in average basket price.

“When we looked at the cost of the supermarket brand baskets, ALDI had the cheapest, that was $80, but Coles and Woolies came right down to about $87, so a big saving there,” she recalled.

She also advised viewers to look out for the unit price of the item — the cost of an item sold per given unit (e.g. per litre, per 100 grams, etc).

Ms Rafferty explained: “That’s the price that you’ll find often on the ticket at the front of the shelf underneath the item that you want to buy and it gives you a price per 100 grams."

“We took a look at Vegemite, which is obviously a staple in many Australian homes, we found that the 560-gram jar, the biggest jar, was the cheapest as you’d expect."

“That ended up costing $1.49 per 100 grams, the other products were reasonable as well, and particularly the 380-gram jar, we found it on special when we checked it at IGA and that was just $5 so a $1.32 per 100 grams."

So, there you have it, folks! We hope these tips can help you cope with challenging times.

Do you know any other tips to score cheaper grocery items? Share them with us in the comments below!
I support locally grown, manufactured, processed products even you can get own brands cheaper. They are invariably imported and inferior. I don't mind paying extra for local and quality.

I get all three catalogues on Wednesdays then go home and check against
my grocery list where to buy the item cheaper - then I write a, c or w. I am lucky as all three supermarkets are near each other. So Thursday I go and do my shopping. This way I manage to get a great price for all I need.
I do exactly the same. I love that all three supermarkets are in the one shopping complex now. Saves so much time.

Watch Nutrigrain .......A new pkt marked 765 g. Exactly the same size as the 805g. It's a good serve less & fits many of our cereal containers with a squeeze. As Nutrigrain is on special so much, I wouldn't worry over the cents. I,m more concerned not having to use two concainers for the bit over.

Is there a day and/or time which is best to shop??
Our local IGA gives 5percent discount to seniors on Thursday. Sometimes they also have market day specials then too. I found that the discount made IGA comparable to Coles although Coles do have some extra specials eg coffee bags. In the near future Woolworths and Aldi are opening closer to us but my husband initially thought we should support local. I think we have a very good Iga as others tell me they have not got as much choice at their Iga. We also have the kind of staff who make it feel like a country store. When I left somethings behind the checkout girl chased me up next week with them.

About 20y ago, a law was passed in Germany, whereby stores had to state the prices per gram or mm under each article. Here, one has to remain vigilant, whether they state the price per kilo or gram and liter or ml..