Chew can't be serious: Aussies mourn Juicy Fruit as iconic chewing gum bids farewell

In a sudden twist that has left Australian gum enthusiasts reeling, a beloved staple of many for decades has silently vanished from store shelves, leaving a bittersweet taste in the hearts and mouths of consumers nationwide.

The quiet discontinuation of this Aussie chewing gum has sparked heartbreak and nostalgia among fans, who are left wondering what led to its abrupt departure, and what alternatives might satisfy their cravings for its unique flavour and texture.

Juicy Fruit chewing gum, a staple treat that has sweetened Australian lives for over a century, had been pulled from shelves, causing a stir among its loyal fan base.

For 131 years, Juicy Fruit has been a go-to gum for Aussies of all ages, with its distinctive flavour and vibrant packaging.

However, in a surprising twist, it was revealed that the iconic gum is undergoing a significant transformation, and will be absent from stores until its re-emergence.

Screenshot 2024-03-15 075024.jpg
Juicy Fruit chewing gum has been quietly pulled from the shelves and will undergo a major overhaul. Credits: Confectionery World

The news broke on 2GB’s Ben Fordham Live, where it was disclosed that the original Juicy Fruit recipe has been discontinued.

When the gum returns in mid-2024, it will be sugar-free and will have shed its famous hard shell.

An insider from the factory responsible for producing Juicy Fruit shared these details with Fordham, indicating a shift in the product's direction.

Mars Wrigley Australia, the company behind Juicy Fruit, confirmed the change, stating that Juicy Fruit and another leading gum brand, PK, are transitioning to sugar-free formulas.

‘At Mars Wrigley, we are always listening to our customers… and people who have never tried the brands, will be able to enjoy the same great flavour Juicy Fruit and PK are known for around the world, with the added oral health benefits that our sugar-free gums are known for,’ a spokesperson said.

‘We’re looking forward to hearing what our customers think, but we reckon we’ve pretty much nailed it.’

The company also highlighted that the new recipe would lead to greater operational efficiencies at its manufacturing facility in Asquith, Sydney, and is part of an effort to future-proof the production of its gum and mint ranges in Australia.

The reaction to this news has been mixed, with some expressing nostalgia and disappointment.

A popular social media personality, RussEats, commented on 2GB, noting the historical significance of Juicy Fruit.

‘To put it in perspective, humans got Juicy Fruit before the radio in the Ford car,’ he said.

‘The thing is, the people that want that original Juicy Fruit, they don’t want it sugar-free. Die-hard Juicy Fruiters don’t want sugar-free, that’s my opinion,’ he added.

Mars Wrigley Australia anticipates that the upcoming sugar-free versions of Juicy Fruit and PK gum will hit store shelves by June.

While chewing gums can be enjoyed by people from all walks of life, parents should be careful when children consume them.

Last year, a five-year-old child was hospitalised after consuming a large amount of sugar-free chewing gum while his parents were not looking. You can read the full details here.
Key Takeaways
  • Juicy Fruit chewing gum, an iconic Australian brand, has been discontinued, and will undergo a major overhaul.
  • The gum, which has been sold in Australia for 131 years, will return in mid-2024 with a sugar-free formula, and without its famous hard shell.
  • Mars Wrigley Australia confirmed the change, stating it reflects consumer desires for sugar-free options and oral health benefits.
  • The company anticipates the new sugar-free Juicy Fruit and PK will be available in stores by June 2024, and expects a positive customer reception to the updated flavour profile.
Are you also a fan of Juicy Fruit chewing gum? What are your thoughts on the reported new sugar-free recipe? We’d love to hear from you in the comments below!

Sponsored
It will be just like Arnott's with their "Shapes" biscuits,
6 months down the track with no sales they will re-release the "Original" formulation.
Voting with your feet is the only way these accountant run organisations get the message - No sales = No Money!

This is TOTALLY ridiculous!! When I regularly flew to America, my friends begged me to bring boxes of our Juicy Fruit as theirs were the boring sticks, no coating = no fun! Plus theirs - which will no doubt be ours soon - was not as sweet which is the taste you want after eating, playing sport or a few drinks. Wake up!

This is TOTALLY ridiculous!! When I regularly flew to America, my friends begged me to bring boxes of our Juicy Fruit as theirs were the boring sticks, no coating = no fun! Plus theirs - which will no doubt be ours soon - was not as sweet which is the taste you want after eating, playing sport or a few drinks. Wake up!
That doesn't surprise me that they love Juicy Fruit. American's are addicted to David Seeds. My sons loved them, also their Big League Chew bubble gum.

Haven't tried the new sugar-free recipe yet, but I'm curious to see if it still holds that iconic flavor.

It will be just like Arnott's with their "Shapes" biscuits,
6 months down the track with no sales they will re-release the "Original" formulation.
Voting with your feet is the only way these accountant run organisations get the message - No sales = No Money!
Arnotts may have done the right thing there but so many other biscuits have deteriorated