Chemist Warehouse boss addresses shortage of rapid antigen test kits in stores nationwide

Austalia’s largest pharmacy chain, Chemist Warehouse, has announced that they will soon have rapid antigen test kits back on their store shelves across the country.

JX3IOlFwxGSRENnlhBVJoTRgBhdYGkiu98YM57Vi_vG4JrJB_ggtBhUNPRE3e0j0wd3HWpqZ0g8JSNvX9HlJ-4H-grXgKiFSy5RG5Pzwrz0cy3nWn2A8lo7b9uA1oANxeoeZi5ZY

COVID-19 Rapid Antigen test kits are selling out fast in Australia. Credit: Sunrise.

Mario Tascone, Chemist Warehouse chief operating officer, said that delays in shipping and customs due to recent holidays largely affected their restocking of rapid test supplies.

“We’ve got stocks due out to our Sydney stores later this afternoon (Tuesday), and we hope to replenish our Victorian, Queensland, Tasmanian and South Australian stores later tomorrow,” said Mr Tascone.

“The biggest issue is supply at the moment; everyone is faced with the same problems. With these rapid antigen tests, it’s not as if there’s a magic warehouse sitting with stockpiles of this stock,” he added.

“It needs to be ordered and manufactured. The limitations are really the planeloads getting them into Sydney airport and getting them released by customs.”

However, the officer assured customers that by “early next week”, Chemist Warehouse would be able to bring several testing kits back on their shelves, as “planeloads” are on their way from overseas.

XDRPHli69fbbP1gbjs05s1Jxdeioy6VQsxCV-PL4E-d_KEyS0DV7Pn4w3J7oxILsf_cogduyDzSNMFlrOHoDrxdZ7hsyw5uNeWXsLDZYhrQ6lJ_f0MIl55MSuYhWdkuiWP5p7xHK

Mario Tascone, chief operating officer for Chemist Warehouse, said the testing kits should be more affordable and accessible to the public. Credit: 7News.

Mr Tascone, along with several other retailers, has also called upon the government to make rapid antigen tests more affordable and accessible to Australians, saying that they were “being stretched to their limits” trying to address the public demands for the tests.

“The demand is just crazy at the moment, even with the limit per person, we personally have a limit of two per person, and even with that, they are disappearing rapidly,” he said, adding that the 500,000 kits shipped to the country every day are still not enough.

He also expressed his concern for Australians who cannot afford the test kits.

“There’s been a lot of commentary on whether governments should make these free for Australians, and I couldn’t agree more, especially for concession cardholders and pensioners,” he said.

“We need to do something to help make these tests affordable for Australians, particularly if we are going to require them to go to work or to travel or if they’re a close contact.”

On Monday, Prime Minister Scott Morrison responded by saying, “We’re now in a stage of the pandemic where you can’t just go around making everything free.”

“When someone tells you they want to make something free, someone’s always going to pay for it, and it’s going to be you.”

In an interview with Ben Fordham, Mr Tascone said, “The thought that the government is making 10 per cent off of millions of rapid antigen tests… doesn’t sit right.”

“They really need to be as affordable as possible.”

What are your thoughts?

Sponsored
I agree that the Government should subsidise these RAT tests because as the Queensland CHO said we are all going to get Covid with this new variant so why make it harder for people who have symptoms to get tested. Ultimately if you test positive then you have the PCR test. I tried to get just one of these test kits, because I am asthmatic and at risk, no one has them and i bet as soon as they hit the shelves, even at a limit per person, they are going to go flying out the door. What does the average Joe Blo do? Why should we line the Government coffers even more. Most of the European countries, as I understand it, have made them free. Why if the Government want to charge, don't they charge at the PBS price for everyone, just a thought.

As I am considered an "at risk" person I would appreciate the opportunity of having one of these tests on hand. With the prevalence of the Omicron variant I am fast becoming a prisoner in my own home, I don't even go out to do shopping any more. I don't mind if I have to pay for the test, so long as there's no price gouging.

On a different but same topic I'm hearing on the news that a 4th jab might now be on the cards. I would definitely be in the queue for one of those but I wish there was a way to easily tell who is and isn't fully jabbed.

Reactions: Lily and Liz
As I am considered an "at risk" person I would appreciate the opportunity of having one of these tests on hand. With the prevalence of the Omicron variant I am fast becoming a prisoner in my own home, I don't even go out to do shopping any more. I don't mind if I have to pay for the test, so long as there's no price gouging.

On a different but same topic I'm hearing on the news that a 4th jab might now be on the cards. I would definitely be in the queue for one of those but I wish there was a way to easily tell who is and isn't fully jabbed.
Ricci, I am with you but I don't think we will ever be able to tell the vaccinated from the unvaccinated. I am in isolation at home at the moment because of asthma but I really don't feel like going out, I get almost everything delivered in. I wouldn't be surprised that we get another jab, I think it will become like the flu vaccine, we will need it at least every year. I also heard there is another variant popping up overseas. This virus keeps on mutating so I can see us getting more jabs. One wonders whether this virus will ever end.:(

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
I think knowing what they were planning to do when opening the borders they should have stock piled stocks of RATs in advance. By they I mean the government seeing as they make the rules. They should definitely be subsidised if not free to those who are on a health care card.

Getting my booster jab later today, I would like to have a RAT on hand but I'm certainly not going to troll the stores looking for one! :(
I totally forget to get one when I got my booster before Christmas, silly me.:confused:

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
We only have to get tested IF we display any symptoms. However, when you have symptoms certainly is not the time to go searching for outlets which may or may not have stock of RAT kits. There has to be a better way.
Time to use common sense, which appears to be less common than Covid.

Reactions: Liz and Ricci