Checkout issue irks Woolworths customers: 'Not loving this'

Grocery shopping is, for the most part, a mundane and routine task that we all go through. So it's understandable why so many of us prefer to get in and out of the supermarket as efficiently as possible, no matter the cost.

Increasingly, this means relying on AI-enabled technology like self-serve checkouts designed to speed up the checkout process by taking out the need for human interaction and involvement.

While this sounds great in theory, the reality is that for some of us, this technology can frequently be a source of frustration.

The latest checkout issue to annoy Aussie shoppers came about at an unnamed Woolworths store, where a customer found themselves facing an on-screen message that said, 'Have you left items in your trolley or basket? Please wait for assistance.'

The shopper, who said her trolley was empty aside from an empty Coles shopping bag, went to an online forum to vent her frustrations.

'Not loving this feature. Bloke next to me had the same thing,' they said.

compressed-zfds3g9um6jb1.jpeg
One shopper’s Woolworths checkout experience took a sour turn when an empty shopping bag stalled their transaction. Image Credit: Reddit

On the same thread, other shoppers shared their experiences with the self-serve checkout issue and how it affected their supermarket habits.

‘I once had a small bag from the pharmacy sitting in my trolley and got the same message when checking out. I’ve stopped using the self-serve checkout. F*** em,’ said one incensed user.

A second said: ‘Hey, I copped it yesterday. Starts beeping and flashing going, "We didn't detect you [scanning] the last item you just bagged", even though I could see it right there at the bottom of the list of the items I was scanning…’

Many said they had become so frustrated by the feature they'd simply stopped using the Woolworths self-serve checkouts and resorted to shopping at other shops like Coles and ALDI instead.

‘Really p****d me off. Will move to the ALDI up the road for the next shop,’ one user said.

A second added, ‘I’m cancelling my Everyday Rewards Extras (even though it has amazing savings rewards) and switching to Coles/ALDI instead.’

Supermarket Customer Rights On Bag Checks.jpg
Source: Seniors Discount Club

Not only that, but some have also expressed their concerns about privacy, arguing that the camera that scans trolleys and baskets can and will store images of personal items, which could be ethically questionable.

‘Their cameras can scan and store images of the contents of our personal bags. Where is our privacy in all of this?’ said one inquisitive commenter.

‘Yep, same happened to me last week, and the “self-checkout supervisor” just leant over and picked up MY (empty) bag and opened it, no asking permission, just a grab of my personal bag!’ added another.

‘I was b****y horrified and won't be going back..they'll want a f***ing strip search next!’

And unsurprisingly, some felt like the way the self-checkout system flags users even when they did nothing wrong leaves a bad taste.

‘Does kind of make you feel very untrustworthy,’ one confessed. ‘I suspect leaving something in the trolley is the least likely way someone would try to scam.’

‘What happened to customer service? Instead, we get treated like crims,’ a response said.

There were also tales from users who claimed to be supermarket workers explaining that thefts do occur inside stores.

One such user said, ‘My friend works at ALDI and says lately, at least once a week, someone with a full trolley will wait by the entrance for someone to come in, and they just rush out through the doorway while it's open.’

Key Takeaways
  • Woolworths' self-serve checkout system has been facing criticism from customers for its AI tech that requires the trolley or basket to be empty before payment.
  • In one shopper’s case, the checkout tech identified an empty bag in the trolley as an unscanned item, which unnecessarily called over a staff member to assist.
  • Some customers raised privacy concerns over the system scanning the contents of customers' bags.
  • A Woolworths spokesperson mentioned that the tech aims to reduce accidental mis-scans and make shopping more convenient, and also combat theft.

Woolworths has yet to comment on the shopper’s experience.

Earlier, a spokesperson mentioned that the tech is aimed at reducing accidental mis-scans and making shopping more convenient, and it also acts to combat theft.

Should self-serve checkouts be scrapped entirely over incidents like this? If not, what improvements could be made? Let us know your thoughts below!

Sponsored
This happened to me last week.

We had taken a trolley into woolworths from kmart , so it wasn't even grocery items in the trolley, but it picked up that we had a trolley with items in it.
The annoying thing was the lady was helping 2 other people, and then a third went up to ask for something else.

I told her this is not fair I had to wait when I was using self-serve to get in and out, and then it picked up kmart items in my trolley, then wouldn't let me proceed

I will name and shame the store ...Woolworths Roselands Sydney

Last edited:
I occasionally shop at Woolies Dandenong Junction and have copped this a few times over the last month. First time was when Big Brother detected a tin of Eclipse Mints in my backpack which was purchased from Coles. The "offending" tin was located, shown to the shop assistant to be three quarters empty. I had no proof of purchase from Coles and told the assistant that I'm not legally required to do so. And off I went.

Another little known fact is that assistants are able access all historical transactions performed at a specific self serve checkouts. So you don't actually need a docket to return goods. Just state the checkout and the approximate time of purchase and an itemised list comes up on the display. I've done it when returning chicken maryland which were off after a couple of hours of purchase. I was found that all the other marylands in the fridge were in the same smelly state. No docket - no problem. Got a refund AND a free bulk pack of drumsticks as a replacement which thankfully weren't stinky.

I occasionally shop at Woolies Dandenong Junction and have copped this a few times over the last month. First time was when Big Brother detected a tin of Eclipse Mints in my backpack which was purchased from Coles. The "offending" tin was located, shown to the shop assistant to be three quarters empty. I had no proof of purchase from Coles and told the assistant that I'm not legally required to do so. And off I went.

Another little known fact is that assistants are able access all historical transactions performed at a specific self serve checkouts. So you don't actually need a docket to return goods. Just state the checkout and the approximate time of purchase and an itemised list comes up on the display. I've done it when returning chicken maryland which were off after a couple of hours of purchase. I was found that all the other marylands in the fridge were in the same smelly state. No docket - no problem. Got a refund AND a free bulk pack of drumsticks as a replacement which thankfully weren't stinky.
I have found lately chicken has a strange smell , almost chemical like. After washing its gone.

• Sad
Reactions: Granny*Deb
Woolworths Caloundra. After scanning and packing all items, sensor reported two unused homemade bags in my trolley at point of payment. Screen prompt asked for all items to be rescanned! I was kept waiting while assistant helped others with issues at their self serve bays, and wanted to resolve the unnecessary issue. Fortunately I didn’t have to rescan but if I was requested to do so I would have emptied the contents of the bags, left them and walked out. Aldi staff are friendly, woollies staff dour. No wonder when they have to deal with customer frustration

I don't have any issues with it. I scan my items until l hit a $30 spend putting them to the side, scan the rewards card for benefits, then pay. I place the trolley behind me so the camera doesn't see anything but me. Then all is good. Bagged items go back in to my trolley with the receipt. Then I start again. When using my card to make the payment, I hold it in the palm of my hand so that my card details will not be recorded.

I don't have any issues with it. I scan my items until l hit a $30 spend putting them to the side, scan the rewards card for benefits, then pay. I place the trolley behind me so the camera doesn't see anything but me. Then all is good. Bagged items go back in to my trolley with the receipt. Then I start again. When using my card to make the payment, I hold it in the palm of my hand so that my card details will not be recorded.
I think the technology behind this is the same as when you scan an item, it detects it in the bagging area. They've just extended it to the "park your trolley here" zone so it can also pick up items which "may" have not been paid for.

The world is full of rush rush rush and lots of impatience. I am retired. I'm in no hurry. :)
I'm normally good with self serve but it's a little ridiculous when it picks up non purchase woolworths items then makes you wait for 5 minutes so they can come and fix it.

Self serve checkouts are to get you in and out

This happened to me last week.

We had taken a trolley into woolworths from kmart , so it wasn't even grocery items in the trolley, but it picked up that we had a trolley with items in it.
The annoying thing was the lady was helping 2 other people, and then a third went up to ask for something else.

I told her this is not fair I had to wait when I was using self-serve to get in and out, and then it picked up kmart items in my trolley, then wouldn't let me proceed

I will name and shame the store ...Woolworths Roselands Sydney
Really in that much of a hurry Suzanne? Whether at the self serve checkout, or eventually being able to place items on a conveyer belt from being in a queue, there is always going to be some degree of waiting. Nothing much fazes me ;-)

Reactions: freedy50 and Macarj
The world is full of rush rush rush and lots of impatience. I am retired. I'm in no hurry. :)
I get wicked pleasure in scanning my items so sloooowwwwly, taking an age to pay for it then packing them in the same fashion. Just looking at the waiting customers behind me, shuffling impatiently.

And I wonder why people think I'm an a**ehole!

Really in that much of a hurry Suzanne? Whether at the self serve checkout, or eventually being able to place items on a conveyer belt from being in a queue, there is always going to be some degree of waiting. Nothing much fazes me ;-)
There's a reason why why I put my hands either side of the escalator. Stopping pesky idiots bumping past me. I even got asked to move once to which I replied "If you're in such a hurry, get here a couple of minutes earlier!"

See! I am an a**ehole!

I get wicked pleasure in scanning my items so sloooowwwwly, taking an age to pay for it then packing them in the same fashion. Just looking at the waiting customers behind me, shuffling impatiently.

And I wonder why people think I'm an a**ehole!
100% agree with you. Life is getting shorter and shorter as we get older and older. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Veggiepatch
I'm normally good with self serve but it's a little ridiculous when it picks up non purchase woolworths items then makes you wait for 5 minutes so they can come and fix it.

They are there to help supermarkets cut staff and wages and make an even bigger profit. No other reason. If it were cheaper and legal to employ slave labour, the supermarkets would do it, and the slave trade would be booming; probably a new profit centre for the supermarkets if they had the ships to transport slaves.

Last edited:
It's been going on a while for me. I often have bags or empty bags in the trolley from other stores. Always have my receipt. However, I never have a receipt from the Reject shop, as the supermarkets don't stock what I've bought. I've noticed that's what the staff do all day. Customers stand and wait, while they check our shopping, then fiddle with the screen so we can then dutifully pay.

And if it takes you 5 minutes longer? :) Are you in that much of a hurry? :) These are supposed to be our golden years now where we can take life at a leisurely stride :)