Checkout charity clash: Westfield shopper faces off with salesperson over donation demand

In the bustling environment of retail spaces, interactions between shoppers and staff can sometimes escalate unexpectedly.

Recently, a shopper found themselves in a heated exchange with a salesperson at a Westfield shopping centre, sparking outrage and drawing attention to the challenges of customer service dynamics in crowded environments.

As details emerge about the incident, it sheds light on the complexities of navigating interpersonal interactions within the retail landscape.

A routine shopping trip turned sour for one customer at Westfield Bondi Junction after a seemingly innocuous decision not to donate to charity at the checkout sparked a verbal altercation with a sales assistant.

The shopper, who chose to remain anonymous, recounted her experience, detailing how the sales assistant from a store within the Cotton On Group—which includes brands like Supré, Typo, Factorie, and Rubi—visibly ‘got annoyed’ and proceeded to ‘lecture’ her after she declined to contribute to a women's mental health charity.

compressed-shutterstock_2389545645.jpeg
A shopper at Westfield Bondi Junction had a tense altercation with a sales assistant after declining to donate to charity. Credits: Shutterstock

The shopper's narrative was not an isolated one.

According to her, since sharing her story, she has been approached by ‘many others’ who have ‘experienced the same’, suggesting a pattern of aggressive charity solicitation that could be alienating loyal customers.

The shopper herself expressed a strong preference for online shopping following the incident.

She emphasised that large retailers are ‘absolutely 100 per cent not the place’ for staff to solicit cash donations from Australians.

‘More often than not, it adds stress to the retail assistant and the customer,’ the shopper pointed out.

‘I also feel upset when I think about the interaction that I had and it makes me nervous to go back to that particular store but also to any of their chain as this could happen again.’

Recounting the experience, the shopper narrated, ‘I went to the checkout with my items and before the sales assistant processed them I was asked in a very long spiel if I would like to donate to a women's mental health charity.’

‘It took her several minutes to get out the question as she went into detail about the charity and what they do. She was talking for quite some time, and I did say at one point, before she had finished, “Oh um, no, no thanks, I won't today. I just want to grab those items, please.”’

‘She then got annoyed and started lecturing me on why I should be donating and questioning whether or not I understood the purpose of that charity. She snatched the items off me, processed them and then pushed them aggressively at me across the counter and commenced talking about me to her co-worker as I left the store,’ she continued.

The shopper stated that she was a ‘very, very regular customer [at the store]’ and had ‘always really hated being asked to donate’.

‘I didn't [complain], I just left very quickly and I also do really hate the idea of getting someone in trouble at work as I don't know their circumstances and I don't like the idea of someone losing their job,’ she explained.

‘That said, I was super pissed off and wanted to let some steam off. I probably [won't go back] to that specific one for a while.’

In response to the incident, a spokesperson from the Cotton On Group issued an apology ‘if this or any customer has had a bad experience with us’.

‘Our Foundation gives us the opportunity to partner with our team and customers to support causes they are passionate about,’ they said.

‘We work closely with our retail team on how best to share the work of our Foundation with our customers, and we apologise if this or any customer has had a bad experience with us. We are committed to listening and learning from this feedback as we review the matter with our team.’

This incident also taps into a larger conversation about corporate responsibility and the role of businesses in charitable giving.

A recent backlash against Woolworths for encouraging customers to donate to their charity partner OzHarvest, despite the supermarket's significant profits, highlights the tension between corporate philanthropy and public perception.

According to the customer, the company should ‘be forced to donate themselves’ as their customers are ‘struggling to put food on the table’.

‘We are in one of the worst cost-of-living crises in Australian history, and Woolworths, a multi-billion dollar company, is currently being accused of price hiking during the crisis,’ the shopper pointed out.

Meanwhile, a Coles customer also expressed dissatisfaction with charity workers asking for donations inside their supermarket.
Key Takeaways
  • A shopper at Westfield Bondi Junction experienced an uncomfortable altercation with a sales assistant over declining to donate to charity.
  • The incident has contributed to the conversation about whether retailers should solicit charitable donations during economic hardship.
  • The Cotton On Group, the retailer involved, apologised and is reviewing how it shares information about its foundation with customers.
  • The broader debate included criticism of large companies like Woolworths encouraging customers to donate during the cost-of-living crisis, with some suggesting these companies should make significant donations themselves.
Have you ever felt pressured to donate at the checkout? How do you think businesses should handle charity donations? Join the conversation in the comments below and let us know your take on this contentious issue.

• Wow
Reactions: PattiB
Sponsored
As a registered nurse who has worked for 40yrs. I find it rude that people solicit for money for charity. It is not your place as a shop assistant. Not to mention my daughter worked for a charity and the actual charity gets barely a quarter of the money for the actual cause. The rest goes to the corporates as usual. I refuse to donate at shops, no one cares about the care that we give and you only cop abuse. I donate to 2 charities only the salvo's so families can have a xmas and the smith family to help the future generation get an education. People should pull their heads in the person you might be demanding money off may be suffering in their own way and we need to be mindful . NEVER ASSUME, & DON'T BE JUDGEMENTAL

I hate the soliciting for anything in centre of the shopping centres. I even had to speak one as the young men stopped teens in school uniform. They are not allowed to do that, to even approach them. They are still classed as children. I said fine, I am reporting you, which I di. I was told they were all trained about this. doesn't stop bewingharassed. I can go passed one stall and be asked time I pass it and have to tell them to pay attention when there is engagement not to harass multiple times.

I was asked by another from the stall I spoke of to donate $10/wk to care of rescues. I said I have a dozen rescues and can't afford more. It costs me a few thousand when you look past red, vax, desexing, chipping, litter, feed, beds, insurance .... and he had the nerve to say then you can afford it, make it $10 a month. I actually got angry. Clearly I am a senior and for he knew I was retired and on a pension. Did he not hear what I said. Again I complained to the same company. He clearly doesn't know the cost at all, let alone the time. Another staff stepped before and did tell him to back off.

I find it annoying too, we pay taxes so that our government can provide the necessary supports and services to the agencies that need it. I already have 2 monthly payments deducted from my account plus I make a weekly donation to an animal support group. I'm doing my bit.

As a registered nurse who has worked for 40yrs. I find it rude that people solicit for money for charity. It is not your place as a shop assistant. Not to mention my daughter worked for a charity and the actual charity gets barely a quarter of the money for the actual cause. The rest goes to the corporates as usual. I refuse to donate at shops, no one cares about the care that we give and you only cop abuse. I donate to 2 charities only the salvo's so families can have a xmas and the smith family to help the future generation get an education. People should pull their heads in the person you might be demanding money off may be suffering in their own way and we need to be mindful . NEVER ASSUME, & DON'T BE JUDGEMENTAL
Yes especially with the massive profits Woolworths made last year

I donate directly to the place like the Koala Sanctuary after the bush fires, Kemps Creek animal holding facility, a pet rescue for dumped dogs here in Western Sydney and other places I know where my contribution is used for what it's intended. I would definitely not contribute through a 3rd party as with scams these days you never know if it's legitimate or not.

Reactions: Bellclare
I have had my preferred charities for years and offer what I can afford.
Also, I am more than happy to give my time as a volunteer to a local charity. You cannot donate that at a shopping counter.
The only time I encountered a puzzling charity request at a shopping centre was when I was approached by Surf Life Saving to buy some raffle tickets. They were the most expensive offering I have ever encountered...started at $50 a pop. I don't buy raffle tickets as a rule. So, I asked if I could give a small money donation instead. They had no idea why I would do that, and, did not know how to process it. So, needless to say I had no option than to walk away.
Unfortunately, people who sit at those kiosks are paid to do so and are most likely on an incentive. Times they are a changing.

I am very sorry this lady was put in this position. I have been asked in Coles if l would like to donate? I always say yes, but l do feel pressured. Also in shopping centres where charities set up pop up stands and the people working there, rush towards you with their spiel. I find it very intimidating.
I just politely say l give to my chosen charities. It's wrong particularly at the present time, where people are struggling financially. If people wish to give to charities it's their business and should not be ever pressured into giving money.
Really Coles and Woolworths are making plenty of profit to give to needy charities.
Kind regards to all Vicki

I Don't trust that the money goes where it is meant to when shops ask you to donate and roll up to even dollars etc for charities. I refuse to. I only donate to something guaranteed, too much skimming these days

If these "charity" parasites use the stock standard opening question "Can I ask you a quick question?", my reply is the stock standard "You just did" then walk on my merry way, much to their frustration!

As far as the costs of running these businesses (yes, they are a business), take a look at the exorbitant and unwarranted salaries of their executives. According to Forbes Magazine, in 2018, the CEO of Amnesty International made over US$1.3 million BEFORE bonuses and perks. All the while, the volunteers make diddly squat.

Reactions: maherdj
If these "charity" parasites use the stock standard opening question "Can I ask you a quick question?", my reply is the stock standard "You just did" then walk on my merry way, much to their frustration!

As far as the costs of running these businesses (yes, they are a business), take a look at the exorbitant and unwarranted salaries of their executives. According to Forbes Magazine, in 2018, the CEO of Amnesty International made over US$1.3 million BEFORE bonuses and perks. All the while, the volunteers make diddly squat.
That definitely puts me off wanting to donate any money