Check your phones: Critical warning emerges amid the 3G network shutdown

With the evolution of the digital age, thousands of Australians are facing a significant technological transition.

The impending shutdown of the 3G network, a move in the pipeline since 2019, is set to have far-reaching consequences for those who are unprepared.

With the switchover to more advanced networks, a new issue has emerged: the ability to make emergency calls.

The 3G network has been a reliable companion for many Australians over the years. However, as we move towards more efficient and faster 4G and 5G networks, the older technology is being phased out.

TPG has already taken the lead by shutting down its 3G network in January, with Telstra and Optus scheduled to follow later this year, on June 30 and September 1, respectively.

compressed-medium-shot-senior-woman-talking-phone.jpeg
The 3G network shutdown could affect the ability to make emergency calls. Image source: Freepik

However, this technological leap forward comes with a caveat that could leave hundreds of thousands of Australians vulnerable.

The crux of the issue lies with older 4G devices that, unbeknownst to many users, rely on the 3G network to make emergency calls to triple-0.

While these devices function normally for regular voice calls and data usage on the 4G network, they may become incapable of connecting to emergency services once the 3G network is deactivated.

The telcos are contacting customers with older 4G phones, warning them that emergency calls may not be possible once the old 3G networks are shut down.

The issue affects older 4G phones that do not enable VoLTE emergency calling, which allows triple-0 calls to be made over the 4G network.

It is estimated that around 740,000 customers may have their phones affected by the switchover.

This alarming revelation has prompted the government to establish a working group to address the problem and guide the planned switchover.

Communications Minister Michelle Rowland has expressed the government's concern for users who may be oblivious to the fact that their phones are affected.

'Supporting Australians’ access to triple-0 is critical,' Ms Rowland said.

‘While the government supports the safe switchover from 3G, it is important Australians are aware that some devices in the mobile market are not appropriately configured to contact emergency services on the 4G network,’ she added.

The telcos are taking proactive steps to reach out to customers with older 4G phones, advising them of the potential inability to make emergency calls once the 3G networks are shut down.

However, they strongly advise against calling triple-0 to test devices, as the switchover has not yet occurred, and such tests could unnecessarily tie up emergency services.

The Australian Mobile Telecommunications Association (AMTA) is urging all Australians to plan for the switchover and ensure their devices are connected to 4G or 5G services.

It's essential to check your mobile device's compatibility and upgrade if necessary. Staying connected is not just about convenience; it's about safety and reaching help when it's most needed.

You can learn more about the network shutdown here:

Source: 9 News Australia/YouTube​

Key Takeaways
  • Thousands of Australians could be impacted by the inability to call emergency services when the 3G network is switched off later this year.
  • The issue primarily affects older 4G handsets that rely on the 3G network to make triple-0 emergency calls.
  • The government has established a working group involving major telecom providers and industry bodies to address the problem and potentially delay the switchover.
  • Consumers are being advised not to test call triple-0, and those with older handsets should prepare to transition to devices that support 4G or 5G services.
As we navigate this digital transition, staying informed and prepared is crucial. If you're unsure about your device's capabilities, contact your service provider for guidance.

What do you think about the 3G network shutdown, members? Share your thoughts in the comments below.

Sponsored
I am disguisted to hear the sop stories of the phone companies, way back when P M G would charge $1.00 rental for each phone plug in your house, they and all of them have taken us to the cleaners. It is essential to keep updating the I T supplier, as they have a grand vision to pay the CEO $20 million when they retire even after short employment time, like our beloved QANTAS, takes advantage of people

Hardly anyone would be on 3G, I’m still on 4G and hope this lasts for a good while. 5G is very damaging to us and wild life, can’t stand it but of course it’s all around us. Ten day will come!

That's why when you buy a new mobile you make sure it has the next G also on it 5g will be next. This time I have 3g and 4g but the last time I did have 3g but found out my particular model even though saying 3g would not compatible with 3g. I was really cross as my phone was only a year old . I oftened wondered if the place I got it from knew that

This shouldn't happen I have a 4 G phone which roams of 2G,3G and suppose to get 4G it's not that old and the tower's around 1km from me as the crow flies and can't get 4G so what hope have I if I get a 5G phone Telstra is absolutely useless and there are black spots throughout Warragul 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬