Centrelink wait times soar due to severe staff shortages. Here’s what the CEO has to say.

With the cost of living skyrocketing, millions of Australians are turning to Centrelink for financial assistance and peace of mind. But many are not getting the help they need.

The problem is that Centrelink is experiencing a serious staff shortage, which is causing frustration and disappointment for those waiting for their payments or to simply speak with someone.

This shortage is making it even harder for the agency to keep up with the increasing demand for their services, leaving many feeling let down.

According to Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner, Centrelink is facing a major staff shortage, with 500 fewer staff members than what they need to manage the demand. This has resulted in longer wait times for those seeking assistance.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.33.20 AM.png
Are you a user of Centrelink services? If so, you may recently have noticed that the wait times are longer than usual. Credit: Unsplash/Taylor Grote.

Between July 2022 and the end of January this year, the average wait time for Centrelink calls was just over 18 minutes. This is up from an average of 14 minutes in the previous year and only four minutes the year before that.

It's also unfortunate that Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. (Some of our members here in the SDC have even shot back at that number, claiming they waited considerably longer than that.)

To put things into perspective, more than 25 million calls were made to Centrelink between July 2022 and January 2023, with only 8.3 million answered.

Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was due in part to the changing economic circumstances. Families and parenting lines, as well as youth and students, were the most affected, experiencing the longest wait times.

This is a challenging situation for many Australians who rely on Centrelink services to get by.

Unfortunately, the issue of long call wait times at Centrelink is not new.

In 2019, Centrelink attempted to address the matter by hiring 300 private call centre workers dedicated to the Older Australians line. But in June 2022, Centrelink reduced its call centre workforce by 30 per cent due to reduced demand.

Centrelink's spokesperson Hank Jongen commented on the situation last year, stating that the agency's budget has been reduced to align with the expected change in demand following the easing of COVID-19 measures.

As part of new financial year adjustments, Centrelink will be bringing staff back in-house to fill casual service delivery roles across the agency, instead of relying on labour hire.

The agency plans to continue adjusting its service contracts and staffing levels based on changing priorities, demands, and the economic climate moving forward. These measures are being taken to address the current issues of long wait times and to improve Centrelink's services.

These changes may help reduce the wait times and improve the experience for those seeking assistance from Centrelink. However, it remains to be seen how effective these measures will be and how they will affect the services provided by Centrelink in the long run.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.33.10 AM.png
To try and help the situation, Centrelink recruited 800 new staff members in January, with an additional 400 members added in February. Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION.

According to Centrelink's Chief Operating Officer, Russell Egan, a high turnover of staff is contributing to the current staff shortage. Egan explained that there is currently a lot of competition for talent, and many organisations are experiencing a high turnover rate, not just Centrelink.

The department has taken steps to address the issue by bringing in 800 new staff members in January and another 400 so far in February.

However, the tight labour market means that it may still be challenging for Centrelink to attract and retain staff in the long term. It remains to be seen how the department will continue to address these issues and ensure that they have enough staff to meet the demand for their services.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink is facing large staff shortages due to increased demand created by the cost-of-living crisis.
  • Wait times for Centrelink calls have increased from 14 minutes in 2021/22 to around 18 minutes recently.
  • Centrelink brought in 800 new staff members in January, with another 400 in February.
What do some of our members here at the SDC have to say about these frustratingly long Centrelink wait times?

Member @Marian M said, 'We oldies do not want to use the internet and it frustrates us, we do not want to go out and learn how to use their resources when they have staff there to help.'

Meanwhile, member @HamMcG shared in the comments, 'My experience with Centrelink and the older line is you either choose the self-service option or you are told goodbye. No more waiting on hold or we'll phone you back.'

Thankfully, it's not all bad news.

'I'd failed with calling them on a phone just recently, so I chose just to walk into their office to make an appointment. Although it had taken me quite a few visits to get one thing completely done, I was still able to get some help from them at least,' said member @Jsmile.

'I think, they do need some improvement, the call handling, the online system and the whole department management. And I must say that there are somehow some very nice staff there trying to help through this dark tunnel.'
Tip
Seniors can also access Service Australia services through the following lines and links:
What do you think? Have you had to deal with the frustratingly long waiting times when calling Centrelink recently? We want to hear from you! Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
In October last year I updated our Assets on the Centrelink site. On completing the update, I realised that I had omitted one detail but because I had logged off, I was not able to log into the section again until Centrelink staff had updated the details I had provided. It is now February and our Assets have still not been updated. Will I be fined for incomplete details?
This is frustrating enough for us younger members or the people who have some tech skills. I have had a few conversations in the past with actual Centrelink staff about the system issues and they have agreed it isn’t good enough! I have lost my rent assistance a few times as the system hasn’t updated my details It’s difficult enough to survive as it is on the pension without the broken system contributing to that too

• Sad
Reactions: Ricci
With the cost of living skyrocketing, millions of Australians are turning to Centrelink for financial assistance and peace of mind. But many are not getting the help they need.

The problem is that Centrelink is experiencing a serious staff shortage, which is causing frustration and disappointment for those waiting for their payments or to simply speak with someone.

This shortage is making it even harder for the agency to keep up with the increasing demand for their services, leaving many feeling let down.

According to Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner, Centrelink is facing a major staff shortage, with 500 fewer staff members than what they need to manage the demand. This has resulted in longer wait times for those seeking assistance.

View attachment 13677
Are you a user of Centrelink services? If so, you may recently have noticed that the wait times are longer than usual. Credit: Unsplash/Taylor Grote.

Between July 2022 and the end of January this year, the average wait time for Centrelink calls was just over 18 minutes. This is up from an average of 14 minutes in the previous year and only four minutes the year before that.

It's also unfortunate that Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. (Some of our members here in the SDC have even shot back at that number, claiming they waited considerably longer than that.)

To put things into perspective, more than 25 million calls were made to Centrelink between July 2022 and January 2023, with only 8.3 million answered.

Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was due in part to the changing economic circumstances. Families and parenting lines, as well as youth and students, were the most affected, experiencing the longest wait times.

This is a challenging situation for many Australians who rely on Centrelink services to get by.

In 2019, Centrelink attempted to address the matter by hiring 300 private call centre workers dedicated to the Older Australians line. But in June 2022, Centrelink reduced its call centre workforce by 30 per cent due to reduced demand.

Centrelink's spokesperson Hank Jongen commented on the situation last year, stating that the agency's budget has been reduced to align with the expected change in demand following the easing of COVID-19 measures.

As part of new financial year adjustments, Centrelink will be bringing staff back in-house to fill casual service delivery roles across the agency, instead of relying on labour hire.

The agency plans to continue adjusting its service contracts and staffing levels based on changing priorities, demands, and the economic climate moving forward. These measures are being taken to address the current issues of long wait times and to improve Centrelink's services.

These changes may help reduce the wait times and improve the experience for those seeking assistance from Centrelink. However, it remains to be seen how effective these measures will be and how they will affect the services provided by Centrelink in the long run.

View attachment 13678
To try and help the situation, Centrelink recruited 800 new staff members in January, with an additional 400 members added in February. Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION.

According to Centrelink's Chief Operating Officer, Russell Egan, a high turnover of staff is contributing to the current staff shortage. Egan explained that there is currently a lot of competition for talent, and many organisations are experiencing a high turnover rate, not just Centrelink.

The department has taken steps to address the issue by bringing in 800 new staff members in January and another 400 so far in February.

However, the tight labour market means that it may still be challenging for Centrelink to attract and retain staff in the long term. It remains to be seen how the department will continue to address these issues and ensure that they have enough staff to meet the demand for their services.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink is facing large staff shortages due to increased demand created by the cost-of-living crisis.
  • Wait times for Centrelink calls have increased from 14 minutes in 2021/22 to around 18 minutes recently.
  • Centrelink brought in 800 new staff members in January, with another 400 in February.
What do some of our members here at the SDC have to say about these frustratingly long Centrelink wait times?

Member @Marian M said, 'We oldies do not want to use the internet and it frustrates us, we do not want to go out and learn how to use their resources when they have staff there to help.'

Meanwhile, member @HamMcG shared in the comments, 'My experience with Centrelink and the older line is you either choose the self-service option or you are told goodbye. No more waiting on hold or we'll phone you back.'

'I'd failed with calling them on a phone just recently, so I chose just to walk into their office to make an appointment. Although it had taken me quite a few visits to get one thing completely done, I was still able to get some help from them at least,' said member @Jsmile.

'I think, they do need some improvement, the call handling, the online system and the whole department management. And I must say that there are somehow some very nice staff there trying to help through this dark tunnel.'
Tip
Seniors can also access Service Australia services through the following lines and links:
What do you think? Have you had to deal with the frustratingly long waiting times when calling Centrelink recently? We want to hear from you! Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

I have found in-office visit very respectful and friendly. However phone waiting time has always been long, not just in the last year. And much longer than 1/2 hour. We are instructed to perhaps ring back later if we want, but who wants to start the wait all over again?

When my mother died last year, my brother, who was her carer, was a bit shattered and was in Covid isolation and not in any state to try to communicate by phone so I told him to hang on while I went to Centrelink. I provided all the necessary details like CRNs etc to the Centrelink staff and arranged for them to make the call to sort it out. That way my brother was immediately in contact with someone who knew the ropes and not just one of the many call centre people who really don't know S?@#*t.

Excuses, excuses. It's just the lack of efficient people working there. Tired of listening to their piffle about how hard they have it, they just don't work hard. If they were a private business they would be bankrupt in less than three months.
What a vile and unjustified comment! Have you worked there? Have you suffered the abuse from both customers AND managers? How dare you say they don't work hard when you have no idea what it is like there! They need more staff and have for well over a decade now. The majority of staff are there to help you and are frustrated by not just abuse like yours, but by management "coaching" them monthly on their KPIs and being told they spend too long with a customer trying to assist them, being told they are to spend no more than 3 minutes per call, and to get customers to call back if there is more than one issue. It is easy for people to blame the frontline staff when their criticism should be directed higher up. It is no wonder the experienced and knowledgeable staff leave when they are abused like this.

I think it's called being caught up in the ponderous bollocks of the bureaucracy!!
Yes, believe me the staff are no happier about the ridiculous bureaucratic steps than the customers are. They can see how unnecessary a lot of the actions are but they are forced to follow the rules to the letter and the computer system does not allow for shortcuts to be taken that would help the customers.

View attachment 13677

View attachment 13678

Key Takeaways

Tip

Yes it is a major and frustrating situation when you can't get a customer officer to speak with you. I phoned up all last week was on hold for over an hour , then was put on hold again once I was answered to. The other days the voice message said, due to a high level of calls try again later and when you do they disconnect you again. Half the time they are not sure of what there doing and have to ask there manager.
I had to wait over an hour again another day as the matter was not resolved. I went to the office then and was told you have to have a appointment and I said how can you when they disconnect you on the phone and I said to the employer since when did we have to make appointments and he stated you don't have to. So none of them know what there doing . Talk about frustration. Its not good enough , they need to fix the problem.

View attachment 13677

View attachment 13678

Key Takeaways

Tip

It is LONG past time that the Services Australia executive were replaced. While I have only received empathic and timely help from the front office staff of Centrelink ... those that have to attend the real people at the counter or desk ... it is increasingly obvious that the "back room" people are stuck in the Scumo / Rob-erts / Robodebt past in which every client is a criminal until proven ... and then proven again ... and then ... maybe ... sort of innocent.

The good news is that if Services Australia is so short of staff, NOW is a perfect time to audit the department and examine if it is top heavy. Are the phones not being answered because the people that should be answering phones or otherwise dealing with clients now sitting in an office isolated from those clients twiddling their thumbs and collecting salary, superannuation and conditions far past their actual usefulness.

Also sent to the Minister for Families and Social Services of Australia the Hon. Amanda Rishworth.

Maurice McGahey Division of Morten.

Reactions: siameezer and Ricci
Not only calling!
I retired on 31st January 2023 at the age of 71 years. I submitted my application for an aged pension on the 6th February 2023 and have now been notified that it will not be ready until 27th March 2023. That's so long as there are no hold-ups on any requests that they may request of me! That's 7 WEEKS! what am I supposed to live on in the interim? I know it will be back-dated but I can't live on fresh air until my payments commence.
J
Unfortunately I have to say this is down to you, application for the pension needs to start 13 weeks ahead of the date you are eligible I have just commenced my pension on the exact date it was due I lodged my application 13 weeks ago and was approved in less than 48 hours all done on line. The system can work but you need to do your research If you find the online process difficult get you financial planner to help you.

Reactions: siameezer and Ricci
CEO's = overpaid pen pushers that are only concerned about their pay packets.

Key Takeaways

Centrelink is facing large staff shortages due to increased demand created by the cost-of-living crisis.

Wait times for Centrelink calls have increased from 14 minutes in 2021/22 to around 18 minutes recently.

Centrelink brought in 800 new staff members in January, with another 400 in February.

Tip

My Aged Care at 1800 200 4 game with centrelink is a con22

Digital Coaching

Financial Information Service

The whole employment game is a con. Same with Rudd's reds they employ for six months then lay you off using the employment stat's only. My team outshone existing teams for work rate but were rewarded with firing. No wonder the currents red's are unable to hold staff. Meanwhile millions of calls go unanswered, absolute disgrace.

I applied for DSP in August 2022 was put on jobkeeper until decision made Feb 2023. After so many mistakes reviews phone calls visits to a centre it was a most horrible degrading humiliating dehumanizing experience. Many times I was told to ring them I always waited over 45 mins . Not once did any of my calls take less than an hour all due to errors and their staff telling me to ring back. Many times I got hung up by the system and by staff. I feel quite traumatized by the whole process. I was initially told I would go immediately on to DSP as I was ending with a proven sickness provider but Centrelink ignored the advice and put me through hell.
OH I can SO relate to this!

I applied for DSP approx 7 years ago after being injured on the job, I was a community care worker after years spent in the building industry mostly in sales. That injury stopped me doing most of my daily activities, I already had injuries from years before, carpal tunnel from years of data entry, severe arthritis in my ankle from breaking it and MANY other issues including the decline in my mental health due to not being able to work. I had to jump through hoops for years and be treated like a second class citizen, attend disability job providers who treated me like utter crap, I am a very respectful person and was brought up properly, to treat others with respect. Centrelink even had the gall to tell me maybe I shouldnt even be in Australia as I had no visa, I was born in England and came out with my parents as ten pound poms. So they treated me like I had just entered the damn country! I was 18 months old when I came here! thankfully the ships records were kept in the archives so was granted a certificate to say I was a resident!

So for years I got knocked back continually! finally it was my third visit with a clinical psychologist that got me through, it was the most humiliating experience! I had worked all my life! they have made it tougher now to get DSP that's fine, but they should review each case thoroughly! I even heard people with cancer that are dying, got knocked back!! the whole damn department needs overhauling!

• Sad
Reactions: Luckyus and Ricci
Now, let's look at this, Centrelink deals with the unemployed, Centrelink has vacancies, does anyone else see a link here? Centrelink has a high staff turnover - maybe their conditions of employment are crap and need looking at. If Centrelink were to take people off the dole and give them jobs the actual amount of money needed would be reduced by the amount of dole saved. Seems like a win, win to me. :rolleyes:
Your getting confused here, we are talking about a government department and common sense. Unfortunately a case of oil and water I fear

• Haha
OH I can SO relate to this!

I applied for DSP approx 7 years ago after being injured on the job, I was a community care worker after years spent in the building industry mostly in sales. That injury stopped me doing most of my daily activities, I already had injuries from years before, carpal tunnel from years of data entry, severe arthritis in my ankle from breaking it and MANY other issues including the decline in my mental health due to not being able to work. I had to jump through hoops for years and be treated like a second class citizen, attend disability job providers who treated me like utter crap, I am a very respectful person and was brought up properly, to treat others with respect. Centrelink even had the gall to tell me maybe I shouldnt even be in Australia as I had no visa, I was born in England and came out with my parents as ten pound poms. So they treated me like I had just entered the damn country! I was 18 months old when I came here! thankfully the ships records were kept in the archives so was granted a certificate to say I was a resident!

So for years I got knocked back continually! finally it was my third visit with a clinical psychologist that got me through, it was the most humiliating experience! I had worked all my life! they have made it tougher now to get DSP that's fine, but they should review each case thoroughly! I even heard people with cancer that are dying, got knocked back!! the whole damn department needs overhauling!
I'm only surprised that you hadn't taken out citizenship when it was free, coming to Australia at 18 months old would leave you with no knowledge whatsoever of your birthplace.