Centrelink wait times soar due to severe staff shortages. Here’s what the CEO has to say.

With the cost of living skyrocketing, millions of Australians are turning to Centrelink for financial assistance and peace of mind. But many are not getting the help they need.

The problem is that Centrelink is experiencing a serious staff shortage, which is causing frustration and disappointment for those waiting for their payments or to simply speak with someone.

This shortage is making it even harder for the agency to keep up with the increasing demand for their services, leaving many feeling let down.

According to Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner, Centrelink is facing a major staff shortage, with 500 fewer staff members than what they need to manage the demand. This has resulted in longer wait times for those seeking assistance.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.33.20 AM.png
Are you a user of Centrelink services? If so, you may recently have noticed that the wait times are longer than usual. Credit: Unsplash/Taylor Grote.

Between July 2022 and the end of January this year, the average wait time for Centrelink calls was just over 18 minutes. This is up from an average of 14 minutes in the previous year and only four minutes the year before that.

It's also unfortunate that Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. (Some of our members here in the SDC have even shot back at that number, claiming they waited considerably longer than that.)

To put things into perspective, more than 25 million calls were made to Centrelink between July 2022 and January 2023, with only 8.3 million answered.

Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was due in part to the changing economic circumstances. Families and parenting lines, as well as youth and students, were the most affected, experiencing the longest wait times.

This is a challenging situation for many Australians who rely on Centrelink services to get by.

Unfortunately, the issue of long call wait times at Centrelink is not new.

In 2019, Centrelink attempted to address the matter by hiring 300 private call centre workers dedicated to the Older Australians line. But in June 2022, Centrelink reduced its call centre workforce by 30 per cent due to reduced demand.

Centrelink's spokesperson Hank Jongen commented on the situation last year, stating that the agency's budget has been reduced to align with the expected change in demand following the easing of COVID-19 measures.

As part of new financial year adjustments, Centrelink will be bringing staff back in-house to fill casual service delivery roles across the agency, instead of relying on labour hire.

The agency plans to continue adjusting its service contracts and staffing levels based on changing priorities, demands, and the economic climate moving forward. These measures are being taken to address the current issues of long wait times and to improve Centrelink's services.

These changes may help reduce the wait times and improve the experience for those seeking assistance from Centrelink. However, it remains to be seen how effective these measures will be and how they will affect the services provided by Centrelink in the long run.

Screen Shot 2023-02-16 at 9.33.10 AM.png
To try and help the situation, Centrelink recruited 800 new staff members in January, with an additional 400 members added in February. Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION.

According to Centrelink's Chief Operating Officer, Russell Egan, a high turnover of staff is contributing to the current staff shortage. Egan explained that there is currently a lot of competition for talent, and many organisations are experiencing a high turnover rate, not just Centrelink.

The department has taken steps to address the issue by bringing in 800 new staff members in January and another 400 so far in February.

However, the tight labour market means that it may still be challenging for Centrelink to attract and retain staff in the long term. It remains to be seen how the department will continue to address these issues and ensure that they have enough staff to meet the demand for their services.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink is facing large staff shortages due to increased demand created by the cost-of-living crisis.
  • Wait times for Centrelink calls have increased from 14 minutes in 2021/22 to around 18 minutes recently.
  • Centrelink brought in 800 new staff members in January, with another 400 in February.
What do some of our members here at the SDC have to say about these frustratingly long Centrelink wait times?

Member @Marian M said, 'We oldies do not want to use the internet and it frustrates us, we do not want to go out and learn how to use their resources when they have staff there to help.'

Meanwhile, member @HamMcG shared in the comments, 'My experience with Centrelink and the older line is you either choose the self-service option or you are told goodbye. No more waiting on hold or we'll phone you back.'

Thankfully, it's not all bad news.

'I'd failed with calling them on a phone just recently, so I chose just to walk into their office to make an appointment. Although it had taken me quite a few visits to get one thing completely done, I was still able to get some help from them at least,' said member @Jsmile.

'I think, they do need some improvement, the call handling, the online system and the whole department management. And I must say that there are somehow some very nice staff there trying to help through this dark tunnel.'
Tip
Seniors can also access Service Australia services through the following lines and links:
What do you think? Have you had to deal with the frustratingly long waiting times when calling Centrelink recently? We want to hear from you! Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

Sponsored
I don't really know what they get now, as I have retired a while ago, I am just actually repeating what one employer said on TV that he can't get employees, because their wages (waiting staff) is about $20.00 more than the unemployment benefit, so they just wouldn't want to work. They would rather stay on unemployment benefit. I also said not all of them but lots of them are like that. I might have been a bit strong the way I said it because it really annoys me how the "professional" unemployed act and there are plenty of them. Thanks for your pleasant reply
It is written you said most of them.
You were writing like you were experience in knowing what the unemployed received.

I know what wait staff get and they get way more than just $20 aweek more than unemployed. Unless that business owner is under paying their staff.

I actually replied nicely to you maybe you should be more courteous when posting.
It's ok to speak your mind just be mindful.

There are alot on here receiving centrelink because of illness and its a know fact that payments are actually below the poverty line

Last edited:
Reactions: Ezzy and siameezer
You were writing like you were experience in knowing what the unemployed received.

I know what wait staff get and they get way more than just $20 aweek more than unemployed. Unless that business owner is under paying their staff.

I actually replied nicely to you maybe you should be more courteous when posting.

There are alot on here receiving centrelink because of illness and its a know dact that payments are actually below the poverty line
I knew what they were receiving years ago, but as I am not working anymore, can't say how much they get now, as I said I was quoting what was said in the news. I have worked in Centrelink for 7 years and I know that most unemployed, especially long term unemployed were there because they wanted to. I am not talking about sick people, people on disability. Anyway, I think I and we said enough about the subject. I know what I experienced while working there.

Reactions: Ricci
You obviously haven't dealt with unemployed people. Most of them are unemployed, because they want to be. They wouldn't want to work for Centrelink or any other company for that matter. They get such a high unemployment benefit that it is not worth for them to work for a few extra dollars. By the second day they won't turn up or get stress leave, and believe me in Centrelink you would be stressed out by all these unemployed who makes the employment officers life a misery. So it is not as easy as you think. I used to work there before retirement, so I know. Centrelink has a high staff turnover, not because of their conditions of employment which is very good, but because of the volume and quality of people they have to deal with.
Wrong, I have dealt with many unemployed, most through no fault of their own, they would willingly give up the meagre pittance the government gives them for a livable wage and their self-respect back. In this current climate I doubt that there would be more than a handful of people who would choose to be unemployed. A roof over your head and food on the table don't come cheap.
As for the attitudes shown to employment officers, I have mostly found you get back what you give. If you remember that there by the grace of god go I and treat them as you would wish to be treated under similar circumstances you can't go far wrong. Kindness and a friendly face costs nothing but will reap their weight in gold.

Wrong, I have dealt with many unemployed, most through no fault of their own, they would willingly give up the meagre pittance the government gives them for a livable wage and their self-respect back. In this current climate I doubt that there would be more than a handful of people who would choose to be unemployed. A roof over your head and food on the table don't come cheap.
As for the attitudes shown to employment officers, I have mostly found you get back what you give. If you remember that there by the grace of god go I and treat them as you would wish to be treated under similar circumstances you can't go far wrong. Kindness and a friendly face costs nothing but will reap their weight in gold.
Well said

Now, let's look at this, Centrelink deals with the unemployed, Centrelink has vacancies, does anyone else see a link here? Centrelink has a high staff turnover - maybe their conditions of employment are crap and need looking at. If Centrelink were to take people off the dole and give them jobs the actual amount of money needed would be reduced by the amount of dole saved. Seems like a win, win to me. :rolleyes:
I am unable to understand how Centre link's Chief Operations Ofr, Russell Egan can state, "there is a tight labour market & they can't get staff to meet the demand for their services" & "there is a demand for highly trained staff". With so many unemployed how hard is it to find replacement staff who may fit the criteria for the jobs? A total of 500 staff was mentioned. Staff are leaving their employ, how many of their trained staff are being employed elsewhere? What incentives are there to be employed here? Are staff leaving due to the workload caused by a labour shortage? Give us all the facts & not just the crumbs?

Sort of a "CATCH 22"? Deploy staff because there is a downturn due to Covid, but instead of cutting hours & asking staff to job share or ask staff to take accumulated annual leave, they put staff off & blame this on a Budget Cut; only to backtrack a short time later & start re-employing staff to fill those empty positions!

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT? IF THEY CAN'T EVEN PLAN FOR THREE, SIX MONTHS, NINE OR TWELVE MONTHS INTO THE FUTURE, HOW CAN THEY POSSIBLY MAKE PLANS FOR OUR NATION FOR THREE YEARS OR MORE?

I knew what they were receiving years ago, but as I am not working anymore, can't say how much they get now, as I said I was quoting what was said in the news. I have worked in Centrelink for 7 years and I know that most unemployed, especially long term unemployed were there because they wanted to. I am not talking about sick people, people on disability. Anyway, I think I and we said enough about the subject. I know what I experienced while working there.
You are not being at all honest. I worked there for almost 20 years and people like you with that attitude towards recipients were loathed by other staff as you looked down on people and made assumptions about them based on nothing but your bias. The majority, the VAST majority, were regular people just trying to get by and make ends meet.

Sadly Ricci you are hitting your head against a brick wall with some of these people. They see people on benefits as beneath them and write the most abhorrent things about them.
Everything you have said is correct and after dealing with beneficiaries for over 20 years (at Centrelink and elsewhere) I have seen the soul-destroying effect these nasty comments have on them. Thank you for your kindness.

Suzanne doesn't the nastiness here from others drive you mad? I am disgusted by those putting people down and kicking them when they are on the ground. Thank you for being one of those who are not so nasty and biased.
I always try to turn a negative into a positive and actually feel sorry for these people. It makes me wonder what they have gone through to make them nasty and plain horrible. I hope my pain never turns me like that

With the cost of living skyrocketing, millions of Australians are turning to Centrelink for financial assistance and peace of mind. But many are not getting the help they need.

The problem is that Centrelink is experiencing a serious staff shortage, which is causing frustration and disappointment for those waiting for their payments or to simply speak with someone.

This shortage is making it even harder for the agency to keep up with the increasing demand for their services, leaving many feeling let down.

According to Services Australia CEO Rebecca Skinner, Centrelink is facing a major staff shortage, with 500 fewer staff members than what they need to manage the demand. This has resulted in longer wait times for those seeking assistance.

View attachment 13677
Are you a user of Centrelink services? If so, you may recently have noticed that the wait times are longer than usual. Credit: Unsplash/Taylor Grote.

Between July 2022 and the end of January this year, the average wait time for Centrelink calls was just over 18 minutes. This is up from an average of 14 minutes in the previous year and only four minutes the year before that.

It's also unfortunate that Centrelink's Older Australians line, which can be reached at 132 300, has an average wait time of 24 minutes and 18 seconds as of December 31, 2022. (Some of our members here in the SDC have even shot back at that number, claiming they waited considerably longer than that.)

To put things into perspective, more than 25 million calls were made to Centrelink between July 2022 and January 2023, with only 8.3 million answered.

Ms Skinner acknowledged that the increased demand for Centrelink services was due in part to the changing economic circumstances. Families and parenting lines, as well as youth and students, were the most affected, experiencing the longest wait times.

This is a challenging situation for many Australians who rely on Centrelink services to get by.

In 2019, Centrelink attempted to address the matter by hiring 300 private call centre workers dedicated to the Older Australians line. But in June 2022, Centrelink reduced its call centre workforce by 30 per cent due to reduced demand.

Centrelink's spokesperson Hank Jongen commented on the situation last year, stating that the agency's budget has been reduced to align with the expected change in demand following the easing of COVID-19 measures.

As part of new financial year adjustments, Centrelink will be bringing staff back in-house to fill casual service delivery roles across the agency, instead of relying on labour hire.

The agency plans to continue adjusting its service contracts and staffing levels based on changing priorities, demands, and the economic climate moving forward. These measures are being taken to address the current issues of long wait times and to improve Centrelink's services.

These changes may help reduce the wait times and improve the experience for those seeking assistance from Centrelink. However, it remains to be seen how effective these measures will be and how they will affect the services provided by Centrelink in the long run.

View attachment 13678
To try and help the situation, Centrelink recruited 800 new staff members in January, with an additional 400 members added in February. Credit: Pexels/MART PRODUCTION.

According to Centrelink's Chief Operating Officer, Russell Egan, a high turnover of staff is contributing to the current staff shortage. Egan explained that there is currently a lot of competition for talent, and many organisations are experiencing a high turnover rate, not just Centrelink.

The department has taken steps to address the issue by bringing in 800 new staff members in January and another 400 so far in February.

However, the tight labour market means that it may still be challenging for Centrelink to attract and retain staff in the long term. It remains to be seen how the department will continue to address these issues and ensure that they have enough staff to meet the demand for their services.
Key Takeaways

• Centrelink is facing large staff shortages due to increased demand created by the cost-of-living crisis.
  • Wait times for Centrelink calls have increased from 14 minutes in 2021/22 to around 18 minutes recently.
  • Centrelink brought in 800 new staff members in January, with another 400 in February.
What do some of our members here at the SDC have to say about these frustratingly long Centrelink wait times?

Member @Marian M said, 'We oldies do not want to use the internet and it frustrates us, we do not want to go out and learn how to use their resources when they have staff there to help.'

Meanwhile, member @HamMcG shared in the comments, 'My experience with Centrelink and the older line is you either choose the self-service option or you are told goodbye. No more waiting on hold or we'll phone you back.'

'I'd failed with calling them on a phone just recently, so I chose just to walk into their office to make an appointment. Although it had taken me quite a few visits to get one thing completely done, I was still able to get some help from them at least,' said member @Jsmile.

'I think, they do need some improvement, the call handling, the online system and the whole department management. And I must say that there are somehow some very nice staff there trying to help through this dark tunnel.'
Tip
Seniors can also access Service Australia services through the following lines and links:
What do you think? Have you had to deal with the frustratingly long waiting times when calling Centrelink recently? We want to hear from you! Share your experiences with us in the comments below.

What a load of rubbish. My average wait time on the phone is 1 hour. Rarely under. Often over. I choose to go direct to their offices because it's quicker , around 30 to 40 minutes in and out. The worse about the phone is that it's a computer talking to you. I want to talk to a human. The machine usually gets it wrong. I don't know how many times I have to repeat myself or it hands up because it can't figure out what I want. I want a human on the other end of the phone.

I always try to turn a negative into a positive and actually feel sorry for these people. It makes me wonder what they have gone through to make them nasty and plain horrible. I hope my pain never turns me like that
"NEVER JUDGE A BOOK BY ITS COVER". What is their story? Remember, "THERE GOES I BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD".

Reactions: Suzanne rose

View attachment 13677

View attachment 13678

Key Takeaways

Tip

Hi. I'm a previous Centrelink worker of over 20 years. I was interested in the receipt numbers request. I was happy to give them if requested but really no point. Just confirms you contacted Centrelink does not confirm what information you were given. Staff shortages everywhere was untrained staff. The department no longer respected the staff who had years of knowledge. I worked in a small regional office and lots of experience walked out the door and temporary staff now employed

Reactions: siameezer and Ezzy
I'm only surprised that you hadn't taken out citizenship when it was free, coming to Australia at 18 months old would leave you with no knowledge whatsoever of your birthplace.
Because I found no need too.
I know everything about my birthplace, I have many family members still living in the UK.

There are alot on here receiving centrelink because of illness and its a know fact that payments are actually below the poverty line
So very true Suzanne rose.

I went on sickness Benefits when l was just 47 years old & then onto a Disability Support Pension many years later. My wife wasn't working & we were paying off a housing loan. I am 71 tomorrow & the loan is still not paid off. I am now on a full pension and my wife receives benefits plus a Carers Allowance for me.

Life hasn't been easy but we get by, but not because we receive a wonderful allowance from the Federal Government in the form of pensions. We go without luxuries &..............! Do l need to go on? Being unemployed or on other benefits mentioned by other people is not easy.

People shouldn't throw stones unless they have been there for a period of time themselves. Is it any wonder we have people suiciding when they are capable of working but can't find work or get fed up with being sick & unable to work living on the pittance paid by the Govt. with continued rising living costs?

Reactions: siameezer
I have to report to Centrelink every fortnight. Start of December they updated their system. Every fortnight when I try to report online, it says " Submit Failed". Contact us by phone. Every fortnight I am waiting in the queue for over 2 hours. Every fortnight I am told there is a glitch on my file. Every fortnight I am told they have fixed my file. Yesterday again couldn't report online, sat in the queue for two & a half hours. Explained to the woman that finally answered what the problem was. She was extremely rude, said it wasn't her problem, if I wanted to report it, to ring another number. Fed up. I've now sent an email. Let's see what happens now. Probably nothing. I'm dreading next fortnight.

Reactions: Ezzy
I have to report to Centrelink every fortnight. Start of December they updated their system. Every fortnight when I try to report online, it says " Submit Failed". Contact us by phone. Every fortnight I am waiting in the queue for over 2 hours. Every fortnight I am told there is a glitch on my file. Every fortnight I am told they have fixed my file. Yesterday again couldn't report online, sat in the queue for two & a half hours. Explained to the woman that finally answered what the problem was. She was extremely rude, said it wasn't her problem, if I wanted to report it, to ring another number. Fed up. I've now sent an email. Let's see what happens now. Probably nothing. I'm dreading next fortnight.
One of my biggest concerns with having to wait online for institutions like Centrelink for such a long time is that most people today use a Mobile Phone & not a landline. What must the cost be to those people?