Centrelink struggles to meet demand as wait times skyrocket

Staying connected in today's tech-driven world can sometimes be a real headache, especially when it involves dealing with government agencies.

While technology has undoubtedly transformed the way we communicate, in many ways for the better, it hasn't quite reached its full potential in terms of efficiency and effectiveness.

When it comes to critical service providers like Centrelink, any hiccup in operations affects all of us. It disrupts our comfort, convenience, and our patience levels as well.

Unfortunately, Centrelink has recently found itself in the spotlight for an issue that has left many Australians less than pleased: longer waiting times on the phone.

It seems that despite the advancements in technology, our frustrations about waiting for our calls to be answered remain largely unaddressed.

Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 9.21.31 AM.png
Centrelink's average wait times have significantly increased due to workforce challenges. Credit: Shutterstock.

Waiting may be a part of life, whether it's for the bus, the kettle to boil, or the grandkids to visit. But importantly, waiting is a pain when it's our hard-earned money and financial security at stake.

New figures reveal that millions of Aussies struggling with the cost-of-living crisis are spending more time than ever waiting on phone lines for their calls to be answered at Centrelink.

Statistics sourced by the opposition indicate that the average wait time across all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has made a considerable jump from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to a whopping 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

What is contributing to these issues? According to reports, a combination of factors is at play. One factor is the reduced staffing levels and tighter budget that followed the post-pandemic era. Additionally, there is a significant number of Australians who still prefer calling Centrelink instead of utilising digital channels.

Between July and March last year, over six million calls related to parenting and families were made to Centrelink. On average, callers had to wait for approximately 31 minutes and 24 seconds, an increase of nearly seven minutes compared to the previous year's average waiting time of 24 minutes and 45 seconds.

In stark contrast, during the pandemic, when the workforce was substantially expanded, the same individuals experienced a wait time of just eight minutes to have their calls answered.

Another group affected by the prolonged wait times are individuals seeking assistance with disabilities, sickness, and carers. In 2021-2022, the average wait time for this group was 20 minutes and 59 seconds. However, between July 2022 and May 2023, the wait time increased significantly to 28 minutes and 23 seconds.

Furthermore, it's not just the social security calls struggling to navigate Centrelink's telecommunications system. Wait times for other Services Australia programs, such as Medicare and Child Support, have also significantly increased.

1688955658615.png

The current situation at Centrelink is occurring at a crucial time, following Services Australia's recent decision not to extend its $343 million contract with the welfare agency Serco. This move has had a significant impact, resulting in the loss of 600 jobs.

To provide some background, prior to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2020, Services Australia had already cut a substantial number of jobs towards the end of 2019. However, during the pandemic, Centrelink had to swiftly hire additional staff to accommodate the rising number of individuals needing welfare or other forms of support.

Nevertheless, as the world gradually adjusted to the 'new normal,' Centrelink has been working towards returning staffing numbers to pre-pandemic levels since last June. Understandably, this adjustment has impacted the quality of service provided, given the increased workload and decreased staff resources.

The opposition's spokesman for government services, Paul Fletcher, has expressed concerns over the escalating waiting times, stating that the government is failing some of the most vulnerable Australians.

'This new data confirms that call wait times have skyrocketed under Labor. This is amid a cost of living crisis when Australians need government services and payments more than ever for support,' Mr Fletcher said.

He further emphasised that the numbers are irrefutable, painting a grim scenario of a system that is faltering.

'The government demonstrably doesn't want to listen to our most vulnerable Australians—they would rather put them on hold. Government Services Minister Bill Shorten needs to put processes in place to ensure customers are no longer adversely impacted,' he went on to say.

A spokesperson for Mr Shorten has emphasised that recent budget papers demonstrate the 'agility' of Services Australia, highlighting their ability to adapt resources in order to maximise frontline staffing levels.

'This includes drawing from their emergency response capabilities and bringing staff back in-house,' they said.

However, Mr Fletcher called for Mr Shorten to clarify the number of those 600-plus jobs that have transitioned into employment within the Australian Public Service, the associated costs, and the strategies in place to address the concerning surge in wait times due to the staffing shortage.

'Mr Shorten needs to be honest with the public,' he said.

Key Takeaways

• Centrelink's workforce is failing to meet demand, resulting in longer wait times for telephone support, according to new data.
  • The average wait time has increased from 14 minutes and 14 seconds in the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.
  • Services Australia has recently decided not to renew its $343 million contract with welfare agency Serco, affecting 600 jobs.
  • The opposition's spokesman for government services, Paul Fletcher, has called for a comprehensive review of Services Australia's operations due to growing concern over Centrelink's inefficient service performance.

Navigating Centrelink's phone lines can often feel like searching for a needle in a haystack. Fortunately, there is some good news. Services Australia acknowledges the challenges and is continuously working towards enhancing its service and meeting the growing demands.

The Albanese government has also strongly committed to 'strengthening' the agency.

Patience is indeed a virtue, but when it comes to unfair waiting times, even the most patient individuals can be put to the test. It is our hope that this situation improves sooner rather than later, as time is of the essence when dealing with important matters.

We would like to hear from you, members! Have you experienced the frustration of waiting an extended period just to speak to a Centrelink representative? How did the situation go for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below.

Sponsored
Again we have had the misfortune to have to go to Centrelink. This is the third year of woes with them as we are self funded retirees. We had 3 people try to answer questions why our pension was stopped. All different answers and finally we can’t help you, ring this number and you will get a FIS person somewhere in Australia to help you. Fortunately we got a good guy from Launceston who was able to answer our questions. Unfortunately what we read in the inbox is something totally different. Whoever wrote the program for their computer system must be a real Einstein because the people in the centers can’t work them let alone elderly people. One thing they do very well is refurbing their premises…..our money spent on unnecessary styling and furniture.

I’ve said before we are so lucky where we live. The staff at Centrelink are wonderful. We don’t ever attempt to ring, any problems we just pop in and we haven’t had to wait more than a few minutes to speak to someone. They are so friendly and helpful. It must be so frustrating to wait so long on the phone, I’m so grateful we don’t have to do that

Telstra is far worse than Centrelink. I used to pay for Telstra Premium so I didn't have to wait for hours to make it through the queue, but then either everyone else joined Telstra Premium, or Telstra just decided to funnel EVERYONE through the Telstra Premium number because the wait times blew out. I spent 3 hours and 48 minutes on hold on one occasion, and never got to speak to anyone. Maybe I should have hung on a little longer, but I reckon I'd been patient far too long.

As for Centrelink, I honestly can't say that I've ever had to wait on hold for 20 minutes or more. Ten maybe, tops. And given how many peeople now receive Centrelink benefits of one form or another, it's hardly surprising that wait times are getting longer.

Health is far worse. A lot of the time with that agency, the bot that answers your call will shunt you through a raft of options, then tell you to go online and use the self-service option, then it terminates the call!

Centrelink is far better. Not perfect, but not as bad. If people aren't prepared to wait, then I guess they want the government to employ more staff to answer the phones, but those staff will cost money, and that will just deplete the public purse and mean the welfare slice of the money pie will shrink even further.

Lesser of two evils, perhaps?

Centrelink, or Service Australia, or whatever they call themselves nowadays, should be changed to Incompetencelink! They give new meaning to the word.

OMG, don't get me started!!!
Not sure where all you lucky ones live but I live in Salisbury Downs, South Australia and half the time I can't even sit on 'hold'!! You give your info, then the recording says that they are busy or whatever it says, then it HANGS up on you 🤬🤬🤬 then you try later as the recording suggests and it hangs up on you 🤬🤬🤬 but if you are lucky enough to get through and get put on hold, the wait time is way over 1 hour, not sure where they get their figures from!!
I have complained to my Member of Parliament and seems to be a waste of time, also, it just isn't GOOD ENOUGH!!
If you are not confident on a computer, like me, what are you suppose to do??
Even going to a Centrelink Office can be a joke, some days!
If you can't get the info to them......they CUT your payment off 🤬🤬🤬 and they wonder why people are rude, it is just sooooo frustrating and if sooo many people are using their 'on-line' services, and what a joke I have heard them to be, then why does it take so long to get through on the phone, oh that's right, not enough staff, well EMPLOY MORE for god sake!!! I am surprised that we even get our payments 🤫🤫 I know!
SORRY for my rant Members but I did say, don't get me started!!

Reactions: Littleboy8
OMG, don't get me started!!!
Not sure where all you lucky ones live but I live in Salisbury Downs, South Australia and half the time I can't even sit on 'hold'!! You give your info, then the recording says that they are busy or whatever it says, then it HANGS up on you 🤬🤬🤬 then you try later as the recording suggests and it hangs up on you 🤬🤬🤬 but if you are lucky enough to get through and get put on hold, the wait time is way over 1 hour, not sure where they get their figures from!!
I have complained to my Member of Parliament and seems to be a waste of time, also, it just isn't GOOD ENOUGH!!
If you are not confident on a computer, like me, what are you suppose to do??
Even going to a Centrelink Office can be a joke, some days!
If you can't get the info to them......they CUT your payment off 🤬🤬🤬 and they wonder why people are rude, it is just sooooo frustrating and if sooo many people are using their 'on-line' services, and what a joke I have heard them to be, then why does it take so long to get through on the phone, oh that's right, not enough staff, well EMPLOY MORE for god sake!!! I am surprised that we even get our payments 🤫🤫 I know!
SORRY for my rant Members but I did say, don't get me started!!
Hi gollywog!

It is seriously debilitating when you're left feeling powerless and totally at the behest of some impersonal, government agency.

You say you have complained to your local member, but have you considered writing to the Minister for Social Services, The Hon Amanda Rishworth MP; or even the Hon Bill Shorten MP, Minister for Government Services?

Not a ranting sort of letter, but a very focused, cool-headed letter that sets out the issues in a calm manner, and how they disadvantage you.

If you are interested in going down this path, start recording details of dates you call Centrelink, the duration of your time on hold; the reason for your call; and what the outcome of the call was (even if it was an attempt that was ambushed by the agency).

The other thing you should take note of (if you do manage to speak to someone) is the name of the person who answers your call.

DO state that you are not technically savvy, and DON'T try and fudge hold times and what have you - these agencies record everything, and if the Minister decides there is cause to investigate further, then you can be sure a manager somewhere in Centrelink will have to start by checking the records of incoming calls to first verify the info you have provided. That is why you need to record all that detail.

Hopefully there is something in here that might be of use to you.

Good luck
Jess

Staying connected in today's tech-driven world can sometimes be a real headache, especially when it involves dealing with government agencies.

While technology has undoubtedly transformed the way we communicate, in many ways for the better, it hasn't quite reached its full potential in terms of efficiency and effectiveness.

When it comes to critical service providers like Centrelink, any hiccup in operations affects all of us. It disrupts our comfort, convenience, and our patience levels as well.

Unfortunately, Centrelink has recently found itself in the spotlight for an issue that has left many Australians less than pleased: longer waiting times on the phone.

It seems that despite the advancements in technology, our frustrations about waiting for our calls to be answered remain largely unaddressed.

View attachment 24724
Centrelink's average wait times have significantly increased due to workforce challenges. Credit: Shutterstock.

Waiting may be a part of life, whether it's for the bus, the kettle to boil, or the grandkids to visit. But importantly, waiting is a pain when it's our hard-earned money and financial security at stake.

New figures reveal that millions of Aussies struggling with the cost-of-living crisis are spending more time than ever waiting on phone lines for their calls to be answered at Centrelink.

Statistics sourced by the opposition indicate that the average wait time across all social security and welfare calls to Centrelink has made a considerable jump from 14 minutes and 14 seconds during the 2021-22 financial year to a whopping 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.

What is contributing to these issues? According to reports, a combination of factors is at play. One factor is the reduced staffing levels and tighter budget that followed the post-pandemic era. Additionally, there is a significant number of Australians who still prefer calling Centrelink instead of utilising digital channels.

Between July and March last year, over six million calls related to parenting and families were made to Centrelink. On average, callers had to wait for approximately 31 minutes and 24 seconds, an increase of nearly seven minutes compared to the previous year's average waiting time of 24 minutes and 45 seconds.

In stark contrast, during the pandemic, when the workforce was substantially expanded, the same individuals experienced a wait time of just eight minutes to have their calls answered.

Another group affected by the prolonged wait times are individuals seeking assistance with disabilities, sickness, and carers. In 2021-2022, the average wait time for this group was 20 minutes and 59 seconds. However, between July 2022 and May 2023, the wait time increased significantly to 28 minutes and 23 seconds.

Furthermore, it's not just the social security calls struggling to navigate Centrelink's telecommunications system. Wait times for other Services Australia programs, such as Medicare and Child Support, have also significantly increased.

The current situation at Centrelink is occurring at a crucial time, following Services Australia's recent decision not to extend its $343 million contract with the welfare agency Serco. This move has had a significant impact, resulting in the loss of 600 jobs.

To provide some background, prior to the onset of the Covid-19 pandemic in March 2020, Services Australia had already cut a substantial number of jobs towards the end of 2019. However, during the pandemic, Centrelink had to swiftly hire additional staff to accommodate the rising number of individuals needing welfare or other forms of support.

Nevertheless, as the world gradually adjusted to the 'new normal,' Centrelink has been working towards returning staffing numbers to pre-pandemic levels since last June. Understandably, this adjustment has impacted the quality of service provided, given the increased workload and decreased staff resources.

The opposition's spokesman for government services, Paul Fletcher, has expressed concerns over the escalating waiting times, stating that the government is failing some of the most vulnerable Australians.

'This new data confirms that call wait times have skyrocketed under Labor. This is amid a cost of living crisis when Australians need government services and payments more than ever for support,' Mr Fletcher said.

He further emphasised that the numbers are irrefutable, painting a grim scenario of a system that is faltering.

'The government demonstrably doesn't want to listen to our most vulnerable Australians—they would rather put them on hold. Government Services Minister Bill Shorten needs to put processes in place to ensure customers are no longer adversely impacted,' he went on to say.

A spokesperson for Mr Shorten has emphasised that recent budget papers demonstrate the 'agility' of Services Australia, highlighting their ability to adapt resources in order to maximise frontline staffing levels.

'This includes drawing from their emergency response capabilities and bringing staff back in-house,' they said.

However, Mr Fletcher called for Mr Shorten to clarify the number of those 600-plus jobs that have transitioned into employment within the Australian Public Service, the associated costs, and the strategies in place to address the concerning surge in wait times due to the staffing shortage.

Key Takeaways

• Centrelink's workforce is failing to meet demand, resulting in longer wait times for telephone support, according to new data.
  • The average wait time has increased from 14 minutes and 14 seconds in the 2021-22 financial year to 20 minutes and 22 seconds this financial year.
  • Services Australia has recently decided not to renew its $343 million contract with welfare agency Serco, affecting 600 jobs.
  • The opposition's spokesman for government services, Paul Fletcher, has called for a comprehensive review of Services Australia's operations due to growing concern over Centrelink's inefficient service performance.

Navigating Centrelink's phone lines can often feel like searching for a needle in a haystack. Fortunately, there is some good news. Services Australia acknowledges the challenges and is continuously working towards enhancing its service and meeting the growing demands.

The Albanese government has also strongly committed to 'strengthening' the agency.

Patience is indeed a virtue, but when it comes to unfair waiting times, even the most patient individuals can be put to the test. It is our hope that this situation improves sooner rather than later, as time is of the essence when dealing with important matters.

We would like to hear from you, members! Have you experienced the frustration of waiting an extended period just to speak to a Centrelink representative? How did the situation go for you? Please share your experiences and stories with us in the comments section below.
It seems thatany agency you need to speak to whether it be Centrelink or Hospitals your are put on hold for an incredible amount of time, even my local medical centre the phones rings out at least four times befores it is answered.

View attachment 24724

Key Takeaways

I called them twice and both times was over 1 hour.
It’s funny but it seems that the majority are complaints about the service.
Maybe if they did the right thing in the first place they wouldn’t have as many callers

View attachment 24724

Key Takeaways

Please note it's not just waiting time on the phone increased. when I applied for pension on 1st May I had the message advising a decision by 30 June, two months to make a decison. Then around this date the date changed to 3rd July and another 10 days gone in the month while still no outcome.

View attachment 24724

Key Takeaways

I am currently undergoing chemotherapy :( and have a social worker supporting me through my home care package. I should also mention that I am 67 retiree. I will soon need to speak with Centrelink on a couple of issues and thankfully my social worker will be able to arrange an appointment for me. Perhaps some of you who have a social worker helping you in a similar situation as mine, may be able to help you so you do not need to spend precious minutes waiting your turn on the phone. It can be very demanding on our health circumstances.

I used to work for Telstra & when the IVR was first introduced we were told that her name was "Karen" & the more we spoke to her the smarter she got. She ain't that smart! All these years & she hasn't learnt to swear!

The sad fact of it is that the staff member taking the call often bears the brunt of callers frustrations, copping a mouth full of very toxic abuse in the process.

I had to call Centrelink recently & was struggling to get past the IVR. Even tho I was speaking very clearly & precisely, it couldn't understand me. I ended up saying "human being" over & over & over again & again until it finally conceded defeat & put me through to one.
If her name is "Karen" alarm bells ring ... well, at least the American Karens (with all respect!). :)

Never waited less than an hour on the phone, minimum of half hour if go to an office even if no other clients there. There is either a need for more staff or a kick up the bum for present staff for being so slack and treating customers as not important. Centrelink needs to take a leaf out of my building society phone service, they have a recorded message stating how long wait times are but leave your number and we will call you back. Never have I had to wait for a call back longer than what the stated wait time was. This is a great service. They are a big business so would be getting a huge volume of calls, but the service they offer is far more efficient than Centrelink, and I have never had someone ring me back who doesn’t speak clear English that I can understand, nor someone who couldn’t help with any enquiry I make. Guess that is the difference between private business and government departments.one cares, one doesn’t.

Please note it's not just waiting time on the phone increased. when I applied for pension on 1st May I had the message advising a decision by 30 June, two months to make a decison. Then around this date the date changed to 3rd July and another 10 days gone in the month while still no outcome.
I'm waiting for approval for DSP I put the application in on the 7th of February and it was showing completion date the 13th of may it us now the 10th of July and still saying in progress expected completion date 13th of May , I'm wondering if they have even looked at it 🤔

View attachment 24724

Key Takeaways

I have recently had the misfortune to be in a position where I have had to apply for jobseeker. I won’t go into all the gruelling details but in the last week I have had to call Centrelink to fix up yet another mistake in their assessment process. My wait time was 1 hour and 7 minutes! All I had to do was to tell them the documents they requested had been uploaded. I was not permitted to do this online I had been asked to call back when it had been done (yes after an initial call where I waited 47 minutes to speak to someone). When I did get through the lady informed me they were having “routing issues” and my call had come through to family payments instead of jobseeker. I was fortunate to have connected to a very lovely and helpful young lady who assisted me even though not her area. Very unusual and much appreciated. It is hard to maintain one’s patience and pleasantry having wasted over an hour of my time listening to a recurring roll of songs. Thank you to that helpful and friendly lady for helping me regain my sanity that day. I cannot out into words the frustration and despair I have experienced in the last few months dealing with this institution. Another example of our governments inefficiency and uncaring attitude toward the people of auatki

View attachment 24724

Key Takeaways

Sorry another technological glitch and when I tried to correct the last word it posted 🙄🤣 obviously the people of Australia! Long story short - the Albanese government could not give a damn about any of us. He is selling us off piece by piece. He won’t be putting any effort into making Centrelink a viable institution.

Centrelink is a nightmare. How older Australians who are not computer savvy jump through the hoops they require amazes me. My husband is older and never really used computers. He started the application for a pension in April 2022, only to be declined after months. He then applied for a Health Care card, only to be declined also. When it was pointed out that the assets were below the cutoff and there had since been an increase in the cutoff, he was told it could be reassessed. He didn’t realize he would have to go through the whole application process again. He again applied for a pension and 4 months on is still waiting for an outcome. Ringing Centrelink and waiting hours on the phone gets no results – “It is in progress” is all they will say. Going into their offices has the same result but with the added comment “It hasn’t been looked at yet and there is nothing you can do. Just wait”. Occasionally he gets an automated email just after midnight stating his application is in progress. How can it be in progress if no one has looked at it yet?

View attachment 24724

Key Takeaways

I have tried to Contact Centrelink regarding lose of Pension got thru after 18mins then told in wrong section they then hung up, things have not changed one bit?

I didn't have any problems about 2 weeks ago I went there too sort out my personal matters .
After entering the front door, waited 3min. For 1st. Counter by the time I reached the waiting seats I was called in to a lady who looked after my concerns.
Didn't take long and I was out of there.
This was at Toowoomba, the biggest problem being parking which is f*****.

Reactions: Littleboy8
I rang Centrelink yesterday at 2:45pm and the auto response was the first available customer service person would be available in 85 minutes. I got lucky it only took 71 minutes and the nice lady I spoke with fixed my problem with in 5 minutes. errrrrrrrrr

Reactions: gollywog