Hate these scammers. really wish they would get a proper job
I often say they should "get a life", as well. They don't need a job when they can scam innocent people out of $$$$$$'s! The elderly most susceptible.

Scammers and scams are getting worse! I receive at least 6 a day on my emails and three via texts. I have an aging mother, and I continually remind her not to click on any links in texts or emails she receives, and if she thinks they are genuine, wait until I see her next so that I can confirm. I usually see my mother a couple of times a week so I am able to check her emails and texts for scams. I for one am so sick and tired of filtering scammers. I used to report them once to the proper authorities but nothing ever seemed to get done as I would continue to receive the same scams from the same scammers over and over. Now I can't be bothered to report them.
It almost seems not worth the bother to report 2when nothing gets done!

I got the old text re road tolls that we don have in WA binned of course and reported

There are also pre-recorded scam phone calls coming from Visa credit card department, Amazon claiming someone has ordered products in your name, ATO claiming they owe you money. I often play along with these scammers and they are quick to ask for payment card details to give me a credit, so to waste their time by asking them to repeat themselves because I'm hearing impared and I give them fake card numbers until they get pissed off and hang up. Sadly they do keep calling back and try again several times using different phone numbers.

you'd like to think so.

the main problem is that Services Australia acts *very* much like the scammers. observed the following with my beloved earlier this week:

- unsolicited SMS saying "A Services Australia Service Officer will call you today from a private number. Please answer this call. Do not reply by SMS" (copy/paste of text message).
note: no real "proof" that it's genuine, just answer the phone​
- a few minutes later (just like the scammer message said) a phone call:

The person stated they were from Services Australia (but we had / have no proof of that, I could call your number and tell whoever answered exactly the same thing, how would you know?).​

They then demanded Personal Identifying Information (PII) including: full name, Date of birth, full address, phone number (the one they just called, mind you), then PII of other members of the family.​

All with no verification that they were actually from SA.

Is this is the way a government department should operate?

ScamWatch talks about Text scams that "...look like they are from the government...", and Phone scams that "...Asks for personal ... information..." and goes on to mention Impersonation scams where the "scammers trick you into thinking they are from organisations such as the ... government..."

Is it any wonder people are scammed when the *exact* same techniques are used by so-called "Services Australia" officers?

.h
But were they really, i doubt they were, the would never ask for personal details. I would have looked up the appropriate number and called and asked.

I received one that said I had been paid. I had been paid my pension the week before. Lucky it was a sms and my "mygov" details are not on my phone. Later went on my computer and no such message in "mygov".

With any email just click the senders email address, may need to click properties, you'll be able to see where the email came from. Usually it will be some random name/numbers and Gmail or Hotmail, etc, it's obvious it's not from the department specified.
Thank you, Greg, I didn’t know this. Much appreciated. X

The government are actually doing something. They caught 3 Chinese nationals only a few weeks ago. These scums had 29 phones set up continuously sending out text messages. It’s the phone calls that worry me, how do you determine if they are genuine or not? I know to never reply to emails or text messages. That’s a no brainer!!!

It’s the phone calls that worry me, how do you determine if they are genuine or not?
and therein lays the problem!

Services Australia will call - from a blocked number - and demand you give them personal identity information before they speak to you.

how the flip do we *know* they are not a scammer?

of course, it's like the old saying "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

when SA use exactly the same phone tactics as the scammers, it makes you wonder, perhaps they're scamming us too? just 'legally' (if we ignore robodebt and the like).

you'd like to think so.

the main problem is that Services Australia acts *very* much like the scammers. observed the following with my beloved earlier this week:

- unsolicited SMS saying "A Services Australia Service Officer will call you today from a private number. Please answer this call. Do not reply by SMS" (copy/paste of text message).
note: no real "proof" that it's genuine, just answer the phone​
- a few minutes later (just like the scammer message said) a phone call:

The person stated they were from Services Australia (but we had / have no proof of that, I could call your number and tell whoever answered exactly the same thing, how would you know?).​

They then demanded Personal Identifying Information (PII) including: full name, Date of birth, full address, phone number (the one they just called, mind you), then PII of other members of the family.​

All with no verification that they were actually from SA.

Is this is the way a government department should operate?

ScamWatch talks about Text scams that "...look like they are from the government...", and Phone scams that "...Asks for personal ... information..." and goes on to mention Impersonation scams where the "scammers trick you into thinking they are from organisations such as the ... government..."

Is it any wonder people are scammed when the *exact* same techniques are used by so-called "Services Australia" officers?

.h
Sadly, when we have Services Australia acting the same as the scammers, we are going to have problems. I feel like asking them to prove that they are who they say they are, but if I did that, they'd stop my payments...