Scammers and scams are getting worse! I receive at least 6 a day on my emails and three via texts. I have an aging mother, and I continually remind her not to click on any links in texts or emails she receives, and if she thinks they are genuine, wait until I see her next so that I can confirm. I usually see my mother a couple of times a week so I am able to check her emails and texts for scams. I for one am so sick and tired of filtering scammers. I used to report them once to the proper authorities but nothing ever seemed to get done as I would continue to receive the same scams from the same scammers over and over. Now I can't be bothered to report them.

Surely no one would be stupid enough to click that link?
you'd like to think so.

the main problem is that Services Australia acts *very* much like the scammers. observed the following with my beloved earlier this week:

- unsolicited SMS saying "A Services Australia Service Officer will call you today from a private number. Please answer this call. Do not reply by SMS" (copy/paste of text message).
note: no real "proof" that it's genuine, just answer the phone​
- a few minutes later (just like the scammer message said) a phone call:

The person stated they were from Services Australia (but we had / have no proof of that, I could call your number and tell whoever answered exactly the same thing, how would you know?).​

They then demanded Personal Identifying Information (PII) including: full name, Date of birth, full address, phone number (the one they just called, mind you), then PII of other members of the family.​

All with no verification that they were actually from SA.

Is this is the way a government department should operate?

ScamWatch talks about Text scams that "...look like they are from the government...", and Phone scams that "...Asks for personal ... information..." and goes on to mention Impersonation scams where the "scammers trick you into thinking they are from organisations such as the ... government..."

Is it any wonder people are scammed when the *exact* same techniques are used by so-called "Services Australia" officers?

.h

Last edited:
When we were with Bankwest, if you called and it would be a long wait you could opt to be called back. A few places do that these days. But they would call and say they needed to identify us! Wtf you just rang me, I need to ID you!. Not with them anymore thank goodness.

Straight away I saw the problem, the date was the way America writes the date.
Also the amount is specified as AUD. Wouldn't need that if it was Australian govt generated.
Also says dentist. If it were legit it would have said something like 'your dental services provider'.

Reactions: Bunyip57
I got one, I went to mygov to the outbox. Nothing there. Went back and seen the e missing in centrlink.

Reactions: LeahI
Scammers and scams are getting worse! I receive at least 6 a day on my emails and three via texts. I have an aging mother, and I continually remind her not to click on any links in texts or emails she receives, and if she thinks they are genuine, wait until I see her next so that I can confirm. I usually see my mother a couple of times a week so I am able to check her emails and texts for scams. I for one am so sick and tired of filtering scammers. I used to report them once to the proper authorities but nothing ever seemed to get done as I would continue to receive the same scams from the same scammers over and over. Now I can't be bothered to report them.
same here ☹️

Exactly right.Nothing seems to change no matter how many scams are reported.

With any email just click the senders email address, may need to click properties, you'll be able to see where the email came from. Usually it will be some random name/numbers and Gmail or Hotmail, etc, it's obvious it's not from the department specified.

Reactions: Cherri